/nsg/ - Network Security General

I am dead on the inside Edition

Join us at irc.rizon.net #/nsg/

This is a general thread for discussion, questions and help about cybersecurity and related topics.
Before asking questions, consider these helpful resources:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Netsec_general
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Security
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Passwords
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Encryption
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Anonymising_yourself

ssd.eff.org/en
opensecuritytraining.info
Beginners.re

overthewire.org/wargames/

youtube.com/user/BlackHatOfficialYT
youtube.com/user/DEFCONConference

Current Topics

> State of Heartbleed January 2017: ca. 200000 servers still vulnerable
shodan.io/report/DCPO7BkV

> ProtonMail goes Tor
protonmail.com/blog/tor-encrypted-email/

> Ransomware as a Service "Satan" wants a 30% cut
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-satan-ransomware-available-through-a-ransomware-as-a-service-/

> Trump announces cyber warfare against terrorist groups
whitehouse.gov/america-first-foreign-policy

Things to do

set up cyber war game
vote on these polls
strawpoll.me/12173169 (embed) (embed)
strawpoll.me/12173197 (embed) (embed)
take a look at the pastebin
pastebin.com/UY7RxEqp

Other urls found in this thread:

fauux.neocities.org/
instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/
media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8027-intercoms_hacking)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bomp

Bump. I've been doing over the wire and binging through cybrary vids. Doing the a+ vid series now as I have no prior experience sides cs classes. Is that a good place to start? Btw thanks for the links I'm definitely going to add them to my autistic schedule.

sounds like you are off to a great start

ubumptu

bump

>cyber war game

please stop throwing cyber infront of everything

Stop cyberbullying

>network security
Anyway. Has anyone here done anything with Intel SGX or AMD SME?
I'm thinking of learning some of that.
But frankly AMDs SME seems fairly limited in its use. SGX is super useful on the other hand. At least as far as I can see.

I just don't know where to put my effort because Intel doesn't want to let anyone in it looks like. You need a commercial licence and shit and they don't give them out freely or anything.

Looks like you're not cyber enough to be able to handle the cyber-activity.

Been playing with the witchcraft compiler collection. It blew my mind how it could work with elf binaries from any is and several different CPU archs

bump

anna-senpai is nasty.

>Satan being sold on Skiddy Forum #3
>"underground website"
wew

How's your lab looking, /nsg/? Currently only have a pi and some Centrino laptops to play with.

Well at least our smart toilets are safe

it sounds like you already made up your mind

i would use my pi for security onion

20gb's of various skidware, some orange pi's and a whole bunch of Attiny85 boards (arduino) loaded with fun payloads

I have an odroid and plan on setting up an intranet to learn, but with basically 0 knowledge dis gonna get hard.

Is a university degree in computer networking a good career prospect?

Decent as long as you get some certs to go along with it and use your time at university wisely doing things like making connections not just partying 24/7.

kys

make sure you classes are based around work and less theory ask around to find out. on top of that find out if your uni has local a CTF meet up or something along that line. it also helps to pick up C as a programming language

rude

How much math do you need to learn for this compared to programming? Calculus 1/2?

depends on what you want to do, cryptography requires a math degree, programming you'll be fine with calculus, but designing an IDS will require more than what is needed for programming

Damn... I'm so bad at math.

Respond to this post if you have not done the overthewire bandit wargame

Learn it if you want to, math will always be there together with programming.

n.n

U.U

>cyberimplying

>programming
>calculus
what is this I don't even

I miss seeing Lain everywhere on Sup Forums

I wonder how this pic was made, would be cool for making an animated Lain wallpaper.

You should try it out user.

pics they came from this website fauux.neocities.org/

drives me crazy finding how to make the same effect

i found out about that site recently lurking a /wsg/ thread

any with minimal *nix experience should try leviathan

What are the best ways to harden security on a home Linux box facing the internet?

disable root login and use certificate only login

This, and use fail2ban. If you have to use password login, make sure it's a difficult password and not in any password databases, because it will be tested.

Changing to a non-standard port will clean up your logs (you're going to have hundreds of botnet login attempts per hour on port 22 but 0 on any other port) but won't increase the security.

Im using an old netbook to learn how to do some server stuff

ifconfig shows the ethernet interface is enp9s0, when I am downloading somehting, the internet cuts out completely, nothing comes in or out (pings for another machine etc)

any ideas?

Never log in from a Winblows or Mac. Only hardened setups you trust.

>What are the best ways to harden security on a home Linux box facing the internet?

>disable root login and use certificate only login
this, plus disabling services you don't need, is 99% percent of what you need to do

> fail2ban + non-default ports
as said, doesn't increase security by any real degree, but it will make keep your logs near empty, and minimizing distraction is useful in itself

> Never log in from non-hardened setups
unless you're in charge of Hillary Clinton & Friends' cheese pizza delivery service, this is probably overkill.
just use distinct certs for different client devices, and avoid sudo'ing etc. from machines you suspect might have been compromised.

>unless you're in charge of Hillary Clinton & Friends' cheese pizza delivery service, this is probably overkill.

iptables and ip6tables everything.
Then install knock

Bump to give me time to read the thread.

>fail2ban
how 'bout Sshguard? agree about the password, I use keepassx/kpcli password generator

this

kek

>I am dead on the inside Edition
Did you fapped to dead again user?

nah just feel that way on the come down

what i do you not get

Wow I legit just closed out every thread i was in when i saw this one. OP was not a faggot today! gg.

So i have a stupidly large amount of fucking questions for this topic, and it seems easier to just dump all of them in one stream of post than flood the thread with a billion comments. I'm currently working through a AS in Network Administration, and have about 1 years experience in a professional network environment. I recognize that makes me about as capable/valuable as a potato with a clock plugged into it, but i do in earnest want to learn/do more than I am now.

>My current life situation won't allow me to pursue a bachelor's, or a master's degree in computer science. It sucks but it's my own damn fault, so that said I want to work my way into cert's / experience equal to or slightly less than those degrees. My plan is (hopefully) so far is CCENT, CCNA Security, and then i don't know what to do from here between the CCIE, or the SSCP, or the CISSP. I know CCIEs make pretty good money, but the SSCP sounds like a lot more enjoyment, and the CISSP is really more of a manager's deal than a security tech as i understand. so the actual questions, does this sound viable? does it make any sense? in your experience what's your opinion on the certs?(aside from making the company pay for them, which ill try to do, but if not i still want to grow and progress.)

TLDR; which of this shits cooler my dudes? CCIE, CISSP, SSCP? I want to get into security consulting and probably Security Systems Engineer.

>o wait there's more!

Told you i had to many questions!

> My school is only going to teach me so much at an associate level for the more interesting things in scripting, and math, and actually hands on using applications, so i've been teaching myself as much as i can lay my hands on. I'd say i'm a mediocre java and python programmer at best, been at it for maybe 1 year now but it takes me fucking ages to make a project and then not to mention make it work. (nothing fancy like a little calendar or some shit.) I'm also working a lot of different VM's right now to get used to different OS, mostly all linux systems. So my question is what is the best way to learn something totally fresh? How do you know you're getting quality information online? What kinds of things should someone really be focusing on, and what's just bells and whistles that most people get stuck on?

TLDR;So many things to learn, how the fuck is it all gonna stick? how does a newb avoid bad advice? what's some pro shit to learn? whats some shit to avoid?

>last one i (definitely don't) promise. I want to get my hands dirty with some networks that I can fuck up real good without costing a company bundles of money, or getting into a system that i don't have access to. Any time i try to ask my professors(most of them) they lose their shit and tell me all about the rules of ethical hacking, and so on and so forth, but i really just want to do it to see if i can put anything i've learned to use. So my question would be what would be the cheapest and most effective way to practice pen. testing? Should i save up some cash and get one big beefy server and make a bunch of VM's, or should i just start grabbing as many road side P.C.'s that i can find? Can i trust the war game sites to practice on, or should i be concerned about a malicious individual attempting to trick new players in the game?

TLDR: this shits expensive or illegal to do. How do i practice without going broke or gay in prison? Are war sites legit?

You're a fucking idiot. Install gentoo

You should do some war games to apply what you have learned, retain it, and find out what you enjoy. Through working on problems you should be able to figure out what cert you want. But all of this can be void if you want to chase money

thanks annon

Thanks i will! so far HackThisSite and OverTheWire look amazing, but i'm going to need to do some work before i'm ready i think. I need to start a fresh OS (in a virtual environment), and a bunch of new tools from what i've read so far from the gentoowiki. I went through the flow chart i noticed Kali wasn't listed, it's what i currently have the most experience in. Is it a meme OS, or is it just not very popular? Working on gentoo VM atm and then i'll look for some tools.

So I have 2 weeks to get ready for a CTF competition and I don't really know a ton about CTF. What is the best use of my time to prepare? I've been going through overthewire but is there anything else I can do to help myself get prepared?

Kali is purpose built for pen testing. Its not really good as an everyday OS, but its great at what it was designed for because it has pretty much every tool you could every need already installed so you don't have to waste time grabbing them all.

You should not need any prep work for overthewire all the beginner challenge tell you want commands to use and give you useful reading materials, pwnalb.kr also does the same thing. You will be fine with what ever linux OS you are using but the thing about kali is that is has many tools you may not use.

Practice online CTF and make sure you a familiar with linux. You could also brush up on C, bash, reverse engineering, and cryptography.

Sweet! damn it feels good to know that i didn't waste my time learning that OS! Also awesome i got the tools! I will work out gentoo as a general OS though so i'm just more familiar with linux as a day to day OS. thanks annon!

If you are trying to learn gentoo make sure you take your time reading the portage section and maybe then learn about kernel config

Anyone here currently an network admin? What is the daily life of that job? I will be going to school in the fall for network infrastructure.

I want to make a LAN tap, if I just get some old ethernet cables and cut and splice the wires, would that result in packet loss?

Or do I have to buy some connectors and solder etc?

I have a networking question (not security related). If you have at most 100 hosts, is there any benefits of using a subnet smaller than /24?

Unless you're scraping for free IPs, not really.
Also, you'll run into issues once you get some more hosts/printers/swicthes/things.

he has some idea. he has the taskbar on the side

Daily reminder:

Become better with threading in python.

all post sandy bridges provessors have a 3g chip embedded on the dye so only pre sandy bridge cpus are safe

Not really unless you're sure that your network will never expand beyond 100 hosts ever and have a hardon for saving ip addresses, but speaking from personal experience its a much bigger pain in the dick to swap everything over to a bigger subnet then to just leave enough room for growth in the first place.

instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/

You're stupid.

explain

Let's assume there is indeed some hidden "3G chip" in all modern Intel CPUs that tries phone home. Even if it's there, it's completely useless without a SIM card, and it's simply not feasible for Intel to distribute SIM cards along with their CPUs. Even if their NSA overlords ordered them to, it's not reasonable for technical (SIM cards are huge, unique and what networks are they going to connect to?) and financial reasons (they'd be essentially giving free internet to everyone who bought their CPUs).

That's pretty neat. I might have a weekend project now.

i agree with you that his claim of embedded 3g chips is highly questionable, but for different reasons
>SIM cards are huge
yes, because handling a 1 mm by 1mm card would be a PITA
but you don't even necessarily need one:
"A virtual SIM is a mobile phone number provided by a mobile network operator that does not require a SIM card to connect phone calls to a user's mobile phone.

At the 2015 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Simless, Inc., a US-based startup unveiled world's first GSM phone without a SIM card slot. The reference phone was capable of downloading multiple virtual SIM cards over-the-air."
>they'd be essentially giving free internet to everyone who bought their CPUs)
how so? Just because something exists, doesn't mean you have access to it or can get access to it easily enough. Embedded 3G modems are more common than you think some intercoms have them(media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8027-intercoms_hacking)
"All new car models in the EU will need to have one by 2015 to instantly connect the car to the emergency services in case of an accident" and some "smart" devices have them too

bump