IS 4K TOO BIG?

Is a 4K screen too big for normal PC use? will all the menus become too small? is it worth it?

Is it worth the extra money?

I'm looking at these two monitors. I'm making a new build with a 1060 and an i5 6600.

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/philips-276e6adss-review/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>1060 @ 4k

pls try next time

You should take some time looking at different displays to see if you really perceive 4K as a visual improvement over 1080. This depends a lot on screen size and distance. It's up to you if it's worth the extra money.

Modern OSes can scale their GUIs accordingly but you probably have to manually play with this setting to find your preferred scale size.

If you plan to play new games at native resolution you're going to run into performance issues pretty soon with that hardware. If you don't mind 1080p for gaming you're good (you could try 1440p but that scales awkward to 4K).

I'm more interested for Photo/video editing. Gaming is Just a bonus and I'm happy to scale down the resolution for games.

Would 1080p games look bad on a 4k monitor?

4k is in reference to screen resolution not screen size.

Get a 40 inch 4k tv or monitor instead

why not get a 1080p monitors with better pixel and calibration instead of low budget 4k?

I know, poor wording I guess.

this, 40" 4k is pretty noice, 27" will just give you eye strain

i think english is not OP's native language and his concerns went mainly to scaling issues

For professional work you'd probably want a 1080p or 1440p much higher quality ips screen than a regular 4k screen
Stuff may be small, but that depends on your UI scaling choices for windows and the programs you work with

I think two 1440p monitors would be good for professional work and gaming on one screen
1080p can look kinda off on 4k screens

That's the question I'm asking I guess. But 4k sounds like a good thing for Photo/video editing even if the colour quality isn't quite as good..

I'm just not sure.

What monitor would you suggest?

do you need freesync/gsync? do you need over 60hz? can it be a monitor which wasn't meant for gaming first hand?

200 lines of code without scrolling ftw

I'm curious about this as well. 6600k+480. I know my hardware isn't 4k material, but Im an oldfag and I really don't game as much as you fags do at all. I have a Tn tv, it sucks. I will never buy a Tn panel again, ever. Trying to decide if 4k + freesynch or a widescreen 1080 is better for me.
Can you output 1080 in your game settings or whatever and your 4k upscale it? Will it look like dogshit or worse than 1080 somehow?

>do you need freesync/gsync? do you need over 60hz?

Not sure

>can it be a monitor which wasn't meant for gaming first hand?

Yeah I guess so.

Obviously I want to play games and stuff on it too but Video Editing is my main interest.

4K is not worth it unless you go 40"+ or use OS X. Windows and Linux scaling is a fucking disaster.

470 @2k here, perfectly fine

>or use OS X

What does OSX do that other OS's dont?

well. I'm a pretty experimental guy and if I wouldn't go for a monitor for gaming but for picture/pixel quality, I'd check out the PHILIPS 276E6ADSS/00

it has the first quantum dot ips which was available to the market mid 2016 and has 125% srgb coverage for enhanced color range.

it also features 75hz on a sidenote

2k is nowhere near as limiting as 4k. the vram limit hits pretty hard if you don't have enough as well

digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/philips-276e6adss-review/

here is a review.
you can expect all kinds of quirks in this pricerange though on every manufacteurer.

just look if you can get it for a low price. the monitor is pretty niche so you might find a good discount

Have a proper scaling system?

Setting dpi automatically I guess. But I'm pretty sure you can do at least manually on both Windows and Linux.

To retain the UI size you'd get on a 24" 1080p monitor you'd need a 40" 4k monitor. 4k on a 27" is still way too tiny.

Win10 has pretty OK scaling. I use the slider on my 4K TV.

>win10
get out of Sup Forums

Ubuntu's scaling is really good. Anywhere from 1x to 2x with 1/16th increments looks great on a 4K monitor in Unity.

suck my dick?

Seconding this.

It's pretty much perfect... I still need two portrait monitors to not feel cramped though.

this