/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for the i3-6100 in any build; same performance, half the price.
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
>Outdated, does not including info about 200 series chipsets

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/FYy7yf
youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qwgmQV
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wHRbcc
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JgZKkT
quietpc.com/mono-aio
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LLcjbj
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137049&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-137-049-_-Product
amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8020A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B01HNBLHAA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

if i want to step into next gen cpus whats my best option? core2 quad loser here

So I'm working on putting together my ultimate aesthetic dream PC but it's kind of a slow process because I don't fully know what I want yet and I'm upgrading as money comes in. My plans are to eventually have a fully modded out system with custom cables, cooling and painted parts.

One problem I'm facing now is I absolutely hate how my MOBO looks but I've been told by many people not to upgrade my MOBO/CPU yet as the advancements are pretty incremental. So I'm trying to get parts to set myself up for an eventual upgrade into better unit, but for the time being I am going to make the best out of what I have.

I just purchased a fully modular PSU, white cablemod set and another 8gb of the same RAM which I intend on painting white. With all that being said I have a few questions here to help guide myself into a better understanding of what I want to do:

- Should I work towards getting another gtx 1070 when the price points drops for the SLI setup?

- What should I be reading to get a better understanding of how to build my own liquid cooling system (or should I just get a corsair CPU closed system)

- Where is the best place to get a backplate for my GPU?

- What should I use to make a cover for the mobo sockets ( top arrow )

- Can I use electric tape to cover the exposed wires ( lower arrow )

- Would getting a soundcard improve the sound quality from my current speakers?

Anyone else have any PC modding tips? Where should I take this build?

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Armor)
RAM: Ripjaws X G.Skill 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
PSU: Corsair RM850X 850W Modular
DRIVES: 111GB OCZ-VERTEX3 (SSD) / 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
COOLING: Hyper 212 Plus CPU
LED: NZXT Hue+
CHASSIS: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Cube Case (White)
> Used for Gaming / Editing / Recording

just because microsoft wont update W7 for kaby lake doesnt mean it wont work right?

> >Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
I didn't see benchmarks yet, but considering that Q8200 ~ i3 2100 and G4560 ~ i5 2500, well, G4560 seems to be the good choice.

if i'm gonna drop the cash on a new mobo and new ram then why only jump from 2nd gen i3 to 2nd gen i5?

Buying another piece of the same RAM won't 100% ensure optimal dual channel performance.

- SLI performance will always be worse, and games need to be prepared to work in SLI, so I'd always go with a single graphics card

- building a custom loop is a pain in the ass, just get the NZXT Kraken x52 or x62, best AIO to date, you get good performance, and gorgeous eye candy without housing a jet engine in your rig like you would with Corsair

- backplates aren't sold separately as far as I'm aware, they are always sold and meant to be used with waterblocks

- I would have a cover 3D printed that latches onto the rectangular parts of the internal I/O

- I'd use heat shrink tubing, looks neater than electric tape

What are your current speakers?

hey /g, is this an ok 1080p budget build?
would be my first one and i'm not sure if i should go with kaby- oder skylake.

pcpartpicker.com/list/FYy7yf

germany here btw

Thank you very much for the reply,

- I bought another pair of the same 8gb dual channel set to put in the other 2 channels on my mobo? is this not how it works? did I fuck up?

- Okay thanks for convincing me not to waste money on the SLI honestly I was only debating it for visual reasons. Is there anything else I can put in my PC to "fill it up"?

- I was checking out the NZXT Kraken actually, I already use the CAM software so it would probably fit nicely. Thanks for the tip ill look into it more

- I just want a backplate to cover the pcb and make it look more sleek, do you think I can buy a plate for a waterblock and just have it sit there not connected to a system?

- Figured 3d printing was the route for this one, I think I can get access to one at the local community college

- Heatsink tubing, seems cheap, solid.

- I'm currently using Bose Companion 20 speakers, Bose Quiet Comfort 15 Noise Cancelling Headphones and I have HyperX's that I rarely use. I was looking at the ASUS Strix Soundcard but I don't want the control unit it comes with and I think it might have compatibility issues with the bose control unit.

Also another question for you, how long do you think I have before I need to start looking at a chipset/mobo upgrade. I know right now all I'm missing is chip, DDR4 and m2 ssd.

I'm sure I have more questions thanks for being so thorough in answering them all helps a noob out a lot.

whats the difference between a 212 evo and a T4 hyper? they look almost identical

>H210

Newfag can't into 200 series chipsets. 4560s are straight titties, though.

Part 1:

There's a reason why they sell dual and quad channel kits. Only those modules are certified to work perfectly with each other.

If you feel like you "need" to fill your PC up, just go for a smaller form factor the next time you buy a different motherboard. I found myself never using any additional slots on my ATX board, so I went ahead and bought a mini ITX. No regrets. You have to decide what and how many slots you need.

I think you could get away with just buying like an EK backplate for your GPU and slap it on your card, even with some thermal adhesive, but I can't vouch for the result. I would refrain from 3D printing this part.

Part 2:

3D printing the internal I/O cover is just the way to go. You could design a cover that has embedded LED lighting if you wanted to. If it's already a custom part, I'd go for it.

If you already have BOSE, I'd go with a USB DAC, gaming audio (Strix) is no good for general purpose (music listening and such), the characteristics just don't match well with anything except gaming and movies. It's specialized hardware.

You can probably get away with using your current mobo for another two, maybe 3 years. I see no benefits of having an M.2 SSD in any home computer, you're fine with just a SATA SSD. I can't see any reason why you'd need to upgrade to DDR4 either. I just made the switch 3 months ago from 1600 MHz DDR3 to 2400 MHz DDR4, but as far as I can tell, my new computer doesn't behave any differently due to the faster RAM. DDR4 modules are faster, but they also have a higher latency.

looking at building a mining rig, pls no bully
Cant really put a pcpp link together for this one though, it doesn't let me put more than 1 gpu on for certain platforms, blah blah
looking at this for a build
cpu - used phenom ii x2
mobo - used am3
ram - some ram i have laying around
hdd - extra one i have from old laptop
psu - used hp server psu with breakout board to power gpu
gpus - used 290, 290x, or new 480s
case - milk crate i stole a while back just sitting around
others - risers, any other dumb things that come up
basically im just looking to shave as much cost as possible, expecially for gpus while still keeping hashrate up. any advice guys?

You could probably go skylake if the price difference is yuge

Looks fine to me

So to clarify you are saying that you cannot put two dual-channel sets into the two different dual channel slots on my board? fuck me man...

I'll take a look at those backplates and ask around some more for some security to make sure it would work.

In regards to designing a cover I actually love this idea, fuckin rights ill put some LEDs in it.

Are there good DACs that are internal? trying to conserve space. This is probably one of my next purchases

Good to hear about the MOBO. I just wish I liked the aesthetic more. I think I'm going to also install a plate on the bottom half to cover the wires and slots I don't use. Any tips for this?

Thanks again man

Watch this video on RAM channels:
youtube.com/watch?v=-D8fhsXqq4o

An internal dac is just another way of saying sound card. Sound cards have interference issues, and if we're speaking ASUS, shitty drivers. I'd buy a Xonar Essence STX to minimize these issues.

I'm in a 3D printing craze right now, so I'd 3D print whatever I can, and makes sense to 3D print. I've had a headphone stand, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro side panels, guitar pick holder, and a crapton of other things 3D printed just the last two weeks. It really is cheaper than buying mass produced retail products if you have access to someone else's 3D printer and only have to pay for materials and the time share.

That video didn't really clarify things fully for me. I Understand its not optimal but my board has 4 RAM slots in dual channel, 2 of each colour. Didn't he just say you could use 2 dual channel sticks in it because the colours correspond? Sorry I'm totally an idiot here I'm just a little disappointed if this won't work efficiently because I literally pulled the trigger on another "Ripjaws X G.Skill 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3"

Also what program would you recommend for beginner 3d design for 3d printing?

Your RAM is fine then.

I use Sketchup.

Is there much difference between an i5-6500 and 6600?

Why do people tend to prefer the 6500?

Better value.

weird

the difference between the two is $25 for me

S 1151 claims to take advantage of the 3000MhZ+ DDR4 RAM not just the Z series

Always depends on local prices but generally 6500 has better value over 6600.
Calculate the % price and MHz differences yourself.

Is it worth going for Kaby lake or would I just be getting jewed?

Australian prices suck.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/qwgmQV

>On amazon, shopping for new bits for a future PC build.
>Get a nice phantek case with the power supply shroud.
>May as well get my supply.
>Seasonic ofcourse, like everyone is raving on about.
>Wait, I bought a mechanical keyboard and that was shit for what I paid for it, zero difference, what a meme.
>Actually decided to google for power supplies by failure and recall rate 2016.
>Seasonic has one of the highest failure rates over every other brand, no brand is above 3% failure rate, but still.

Beware of memes, boys.

The only Kaby Lake that's really worth it is the G4560.

Yeah, you better buy that no name chinese computer BBQ kit already.

>/vgcag/
>video game console assembly general

Just bought the parts for my first build. How bad is it?

>No point going for Kaby Lake if you're not overclocking since that's the only area where it's better than Skylake. Check if the Core i5-6600 is cheaper (hell maybe even the Core i5-6600K will be cheaper).
>Get 2 sticks of RAM for dual-channel. If you can't afford 2x8GB, get 2x4GB.

>get kaby lake
>cheap out on mobo and ram
>no significantly faster RAM performance for merely $40 more invested

I'd get a slightly better mobo.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wHRbcc

what's the big diff?

Building a new mATX PC, got all the parts except a case.

Can't choose between Corsair 350D and Thermaltake Core V21.
Please help!

would this be better?

No, it's still shit.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JgZKkT

>B-b-but my common sense 2010 Home Edition told me you can't overclock a locked skylake CPU
Update to common sense 2017 Pro edition.

Can you use a 2.5 inch HDD in a mATX build or will the performance be worse compared to a 3.5 inch? Going to have one SSD boot drive and one internal drive.

Size of the drive does not determine speed of the hdd drive.

RPM + Cache + HDD model does.

2.5 inchers spin up quick tho

Historically 2.5" HDDs are slower than 3.5" due to having slower rotation speeds. These days HDDs are only useful for long-term storage anyway so I imagine the difference is minimal now.

My local store is having a sale on the XFX RX 480 for cheaper than the 470, XFX is the way to go for 480's, right?

And also, why do stores sell worse cards with more VRAM for more than better cards with lower VRAM? Are there any situations where you're better off getting a 8GB 470 over a 4GB 480?

I'm going to flash my gigabyte to install kaby lake this afternoon

how do you neet fucks get the funds for this shit?

Mainly by not being a NEET

Newfag here. How does OP's 1080p build (left) compare to pcpartpicker's recommended Excellent Build (right)? It's not a matter of money I would be willing to spend up to $1500. Just want to know if it's worth it. Also, if it is worth it, can anyone recommend me a $1500 dollar build?

Anybody has some experience with this case ?

quietpc.com/mono-aio

Im thinking about putting rx 470/1060 3GB both cost the same here and Pentium g4560 in it.

Right is retarded, left needs improvement, i wouldn't get either of those builds as is.

well any recommendations?

Take the left as template and improve it.

what's better about left? what should be improved? more RAM? better GPU? better CPU?

It makes sense as 80% of the PSU market is all seasonic anyways

I want to make a server.
>I have an extra graphics card that i could put in it and use it for PC game streaming
>id like to use it as a remote filesystem
>would it be possible to use it as a vpn/gateway for all of my internet traffic
>id throw a couple TB HDDs in it
Should i buy an old used tower for this purpose?
What server should i run on it? Linux or Windows?

Running out of VRAM is bad, so if you know you're going to be doing things that require more than 4 GB of VRAM(like crossfire), it might be worthwhile to get a weaker card with more VRAM. Generally(well, for gaming at least) it's better to save money and get the version with normal amount of VRAM(or the better card, in this case), since by the time you run out of VRAM the GPU itself will already be insufficient(although there are exceptions, like 1060).

Just turn multisampling down its not that hard
Even the most powerful of games today rarely use over 4GB VRAM at max resolution and settings, and VRAM tends to be easy to lighten the load on through settibgs

350D is huge, I have one and it's barely smaller than a typical mid tower ATX case. Tonnes of room for cooling if that's what you're after though.

Gigabyte gaming 5?

Looks like the best choice around

wanted to stick with a sub-$2500 build to do 1440p at 70-90 fps on any game

what else do i get now?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LLcjbj

you'd probably need a keyboard

why i7?

>(Purchased)
>what else do i get now?
Considering the money you spent on the mobo and CPU, you should have spent a little more and gotten a gtx 1070, it's a bit late for that now.

that motherboard is pretty cool though

>tfw part of the i7 master race

Oh yeah I already have all the parts. I bought most of this on black Friday. I do have a keyboard but I'm in the market for a mechanical one.

i7 because I run a VM from windows to do programming and I don't want to buy a new CPU for 5 years. Also do some meme video editing on occasion.

Honestly I couldn't find a good relatively mono coloured motherboard that had VGA output on it. Everything else has some sort of colours. I turned off the RGB it was annoying.

I don't want a 1070. Way too expensive. It wouldn't be a 'little more' it would be straight up $350 more because of leaf tax. That is not worth it in my eyes. I'm enjoying freesync too now. Maybe I'll upgrade with Vega X.

>posts pepe memes

fuck it, not helping you

>i7 master race
Dual core 2.3GHz turbo reporting in

Suit yourself user. Sorry for triggering your meme PTSD

reposting from the older thread:

If I want a cool, low-powered CPU, why should I buy the i7-7700T (35W) instead of buying the regular i7-7700 (65W) and underclocking it so it runs at 35W too? I don't understand

I got all the parts except the case and psu. (Which is currently a Raidmax Comet case that came with a 385watt psu) Should I get a different motherboard because of the faluty temperature sensor? The bios displays the right temp. I want to upgrade the psu too, but not sure which one to get? I also want to put either a 1050 TI or an RX 470. Thoughts?

Because there's no guarantee that the regular 7700 will be able to reach the same clocks at 35W as 7700T does. And the price difference is negligible anyway.

>that monitor resolution
im so sorry user.

Go for the 470 it will be great for you. I don't think you have to change mobo just because of a faulty sensor. Only reason to get a new mobo is if it just stops working.

Hard to install. Your best bet is to use Kaby on a flashed 100 series chipset

Get 2400MHz RAM

Noted, thanks

You need a dedicated ASIC AFAIK. The days of gfx card mining are over

Very close perf for slightly cheaper

Depends on prices, but worth it because of 2400MHz RAM or hyper threaded Pentiums

If you want to spend money, get a 1440p Gsync 144Hz monitor for the 7600K + 1070 build.

For games it's already really good. Like My previous post said, get a nice display.

damn, I'm an idiot
thanks

RX 470 has a clear great lead over the 1050 Ti, but it might be a tad overkill with that resolution. If the RX 470 cost too much compared to the 1050 Ti then go for the 1050 Ti, but if they're close in prices (~$25) then go for the RX 470.

Expensive, but the best assortment ITT. EVGAs run hot though.

nah I'm good

>mobo I want dropped 40€ in the span of two weeks

s-should I wait even longer

Prob not

there's a $150 480 after rebate on newegg

buy or you will regret it

NO BUY NOW. I made the fucking mistake of waiting for the G4560 to drop a few bucks and now they all sold out and wont restock till mid February

Link?

I only saw the 4gb for $154 after rebate
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137049&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-137-049-_-Product

the g4560 became very very popular all over the internet though, it was predictable that they would sell out quickly and that stores would take advantage of the popularity by raising prices

I'm looking at the Asrock Z270 Gaming-ITX, which seems a little bit more niche than the g4560. It's an ITX board, it's assrock and it's high-end. Not to mention it hasn't been released in the US yet
When it first became available on the Spanish Amazon it was 265€, now it's down to 211 on some sellers

Amazon US had it for pre-order for 180$ but have since removed the product page altogether

Any good deals on the 8gb rx480?

I have an i5 4590, when will it start to bottleneck me in games?

amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8020A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B01HNBLHAA

How did I do Sup Forums? I know it's a prebuilt but if you add all the parts it comes close to 800$. Plus I got a discount for being an employee and I got the refurbished one so It ended up only costing 600$ There was another one for 500$ but it doesn't ship till February

Seems to be a probably with a lot asus mobos if you google it. Mine works fine but my brothers reads the same thing as yours and its new.

>How did I do
>When you didn't do anything
Yes

semantics aside is it a good find?

I need the meme-est case possible for a Reddit-addicted client. What case should I choose and how can I ruin it?
Built-in keylogger is out of the question.

Can I get some recommendations for a case and mobo? I don't want to spend a lot so I want to get the most for my money's worth. Besides that, how is it?

Additional notes:
Getting the i7 for 200 from a friend.
The PSU, Storage, and memory are all placeholders so my list doesn't look too barren, so don't hate.

Building a super basic $500 comp for my dad. Which Intel chipset should I go with?

How basic? Because you could get a motherboard with no chipset at all.