Software

Why can't we have both?

UX/UI didn't matter that much in the past because it was perceived as a bonus. Everyone who used computers were autistic anyway so what's the point in making it glimmer?

Today normies make a big portion of people who use computers, so naturally developers want to invest more in visual appeal and ease of use. Marketing a beautiful product that works is more effective than marketing a product that works but looks like dogshit.

Things are changing slowly.

Wrong question.

Why whould you """need'''''' both? Function over form. Form is irrelevant.

We already had, but companies rejected it.

Autist spotted. Human being aren't robots

If you're gonna stare 8 hours a day at a screen having a good UI design will improve concentration and productivity.

µTorrent 2.2.1 is good looking and good at the same time.

A GUI only distracts you from the info on screen. Also, GUIs usually promote using a mouse which forces you to waste time moving your hand to perform actions you could do faster with a keyboard.

We can, but limited resources in creating software means that you have to concentrate your efforts.

>I werks but it DOESN'T LOOK GOOOOOD!!! It's literally unusable, WHAAAHH!!!

Sure, I'm the one with issues. Call me an autist but at least I don't have to worry about non-issues like OP.

Because good looking
>doesn't improve functionality
>doesn't improve efficiency

And in many cases it does exactly the opposite

No it is botnet you shill

It was good looking because monitors was 14-17 inches big and 800 x 600 resolution so you saw pixels.

Please teach me how to use a keyboard functionally without moving my hands senpai

He's right though.
Especially for text editing, picking an editor which allows you to have a 100% keyboard based workflow is a godsend when it comes to speed.

You waste solid 2-5s everytime you take your hand of the keyboard, point it to the object you're interested, and move your hand back on the keyboard.

Hit keys with dick

>having a good UI design will improve concentration and productivity
>good
UI design is subjective. This is why all of the fastest Sup Forumsentoomen write their own keybinds.
You can't have a UI that works perfectly for everyone, it just doesn't work that way.

Same with ricing. Everyone has different tastes. I understand autists have a hard time viewing the world from others perspective but please understand that your tastes aren't the same as everyone else's.

a good GUI doesn't get in your way
a good GUI will enable use of keyboard to perform actions
GUI exists to facilitate man machine interaction
so what's wrong with asking for better looking GUI without losing on the functionality?

>le keyboard is faster than mouse meme

Good UI is hard to define.
It can mean it is intuitive to use for new people, easy to use for people who knows how it works, pleasant to look at while not unprofessionally looking.
You have to balance bit having too many options so it confuses people and not too few, so it is a pain to use.

People who do this well is not the same people who implement features.
You either need a large team or some very skilled people.
Neither is that likely in the free software community.

wrong. there are volumes written on GUI design guidelines

intuitive is in this case synonymous with easy to use, again, it's primarily an interface for humans to the machine

I agree about too many and too few options point, just look at KDE vs GNOME and this is exactly what OP wanted to point out.

False. Next you're going to say curses applications aren't "muh GUIs"

It is. That's not even a meme.

>good
fucking shit nostalgia fag
get over yourself, cunt

This is why hardware companies should stay the fuck away from user interfaces.

A GUI is supposed to be efficient and flexible, not good looking.

>bad
Nah, fuck you.