VISA

So you give some shop owner your credit card info and that's literally all he or anyone else needs to take your money.
At best you can file a complaint to your bank after that, if you happen to notice some money missing.

How is this not absolutely retarded security-wise and why is it still a thing in [current year]?

>not covering the cvc
Pleb.

>if you happen to
You don't check your billing statements? What's wrong with you?
>at best you can
And that's a problem why, exactly? Oh, you want it to be automated? Good thing it is! The vast majority of CC fraud is detected by automated systems and blocked before it even hits your account. The small number of cases that slip through, well, that's why you read your statement. You *do* read your statement, don't you?

Also with modern chip card systems, the "credit card info" never actually stays with the merchant, but that's more to let the banks foist the fraud losses off to someone else, it has nothing to do with you, the customer.

I don't hand my card to anyone, don't remember last time I did. Everywhere here in Yurop we have those contactless terminals, I move my card close to it and insert pin if it's bigger purchase.
Stop living in third wolrd shithole known as murica.

I'm talking about online shops, you need to give them the CVC number and everything.

Yeah, and then you get your goods. Or if you didn't, you dispute it with the credit card company, and you don't pay. That is literally the entire point of a credit card, and why people use them over debit cards. Not "because it's free money" like Europeans seem to think.

I never had an online shop steal from me. They would be out of business then. Just don't buy from Pajeets and you'll be fine.

Good thing stealing is illegal

how come credit card companies offer an additional insurance that you can pay for? shouldnt you by default already be covered by the those things the additional insurance covers you for?

>how come credit card companies offer an additional insurance that you can pay for?
I have no idea what you are talking about by "insurance" or "you can pay for"

All proper credit cards have a dispute mechanism. This isn't insurance, it's the way the card agreement works, and it's built into the processing fees that the merchants pay, along with projected fraud losses, and all the rest.

You're not even guaranteed to get your money back.
In the worst case the bank can accuse you of negligence and that you let someone else use the card.

Credit cards might be safer than debit cards in this regard, but they also cost more.

>I never had an online shop steal from me.
I have. Well not exactly steal, but automatically charge for some subscription without my consent.
I disputed it and got my money back, but it took a trip to the bank, filling some forms and waiting for a month.

The bottom line is that the system is stupid. The merchant should never ever be given all your card info.
All online payments should go through either your bank or visa.com.

Yes, anything is possible. All systems have risk. Cash can be stolen, bitcoin can crash, traditional banking systems/credit cards involve some level of trust that all parties will uphold their end of the agreement.

Credit cards do not cost more than debit cards, I have no idea where you got that idea. If anything they cost less because of the rewards programs that are common. Perhaps you are confusing the "cost" on a macro level (the price the merchant has to charge the consumers that contains a built in surcharge for credit cards)? But you pay that no matter what, because it's a violation of the merchant service agreement to have different prices for credit card payments. So a debit card or cash actually makes you lose money.

>Credit cards do not cost more than debit cards, I have no idea where you got that idea.

From every price list of every bank here (EU).
Usually debit cards don't have a monthly fee, while credit cards do.

>The bottom line is that the system is stupid

I agree. I live in the Netherlands and we have based iDeal.

Basically two factor authentication using your phone. The site I'm buying at shows the final amount and a QR code on the computer screen that I scan with my phone's bank app, and it's done.

Must be a europe thing, the only fee cards here in the US are the super premium ones like Chase Sapphire Reserve, and the super ghetto ones that serve as a transitional card for distressed credit people moving off secured cards (basically, Capital One cards)

I only use reloadable prepaid cards, and always use PayPal when it's available.
That way if something happens there won't be a lot of money or even no money on it, because i only load it when i need to buy something.

>what is a girocard
I pity everyone using anything else
roflmao @amerifats desu

I have a stolen CC, and I can't exactly add it to PayPal. What's the best site I could use to get money off of it? Most of the ones I've been to ask me for some Mastercard secureCode. And the sites that don't are fucking useless.

So you buy shit online: you send someone your money and then pray you'll get what you wanted. Retarded, isn't it?

Finding someone who used your bank account is piss easy for police, you can also instantly block your account with single phone call when you notice something wrong. It's not flawless, but as long as you don't send your entire card info to bestcheapchinesemerchandise.com after completing short survey to win your iphone, you're pretty much safe.

I'm not American, so I don't live in constant fear of everything.

What kind of meme are you on son? At least here in yurop you only type the CVC once you are redirected to your bank's page.

Fucking third worlders I swear...

I would recommend just returning it, Tyrone.

good thing OP knows fucking nothing about how credit card transactions are authorized.

Oh, and to top it of you need to enter a confirmation number sent to your phone.

After that you aren't even charged until your next billing period. If the statement is wrong, you go to your bank's office, talk with the person that you deal with usually and know personally (they do know you at your bank, don't they user? Do people even talk to each other in America anymore? Or do they just yell and tweet? I forget), and sort it out.

I use PayPal

>to take your money
No, to charge a transaction to the account. My money stays in my pocket until I deem the balance worth paying when my credit card statement comes in. This isn't a debit card.

>At best you can file a complaint to your bank
"Best" is an apt description. A dispute/chargeback is a piece of cake.

>if you happen to notice some money missing
Of course I notice the fraudulent transaction. I read what I'm paying for before I pay it.

>How is this not absolutely retarded security-wise
Well most of what you said is ignorant, but this much is fair. We're still embarrassingly behind the ball on secure transactions.

>So you give some shop owner your credit card info and that's literally all he or anyone else needs to take your money.

Wrong right from the onset.

I am redirected to my banks online account where i do have to insert additional pins to finish the transaction, how is this not secure

I bought it from AB for 2 dollars.
I've done it before to buy a 4chin pass

There are more and more bank systems to avoid the merchant getting that info but regardless, the reason is that credit card fraud isn't that easy and a merchanttthat went darkside would lose their credit card network access very, very quickly.

>not keeping your money in a seperate account, and only putting small amounts in your debit card.

Pretty sure you're thinking of things like balance protection which is mostly to cover your payments in case of a seriously illness, injury or even death. I believe it also covers things like identity theft which can be harder to deal with with the basic coverage

Are you too stupid to understand a fucking credit card and its benefits, specially fraud liability and guess what VIRTUAL credit card numbers generated for one-time use shielding you even more are common by many cards.

If you someone steals your card how in the fuck would you be liable for their crime. Will your local police give a fuck no, but file a police report and dispute the charge. Unless you have a shit CC issuer you will get your money back. AMEX will bend over backwards for you.

I'm in yurop. Paypal and Aliexpress are just two examples where you have to enter all the card's details.

That's why I use PayPal whenever possible. Sure they get your info but the merchant doesn't and PayPal also has pretty much all the same protection as the bank/credit card company and they have a long established reputation. Really though I don't have an issue with major merchants like say buying from Walmart online but smaller stores especially offshore kinda scare me

Problem is not all places accept pre paid cards especially if it's a subscription. Really just keep your credit limit low or have a second credit card with a low limit(say $500-1000) that is only used for online shit so if something does happen they can't actually spend that much

Buy a virtual CC for those shady overseas countries.

Autistic spergs, they do not fucking get your card info, it goes first to a proper bank website that it then confirms to them that they got them and they never get the actual card info themselves

unless

1) Your bank is run by pajeets

2) The website itself requires CC info to be saved on them, which IS NOT REQUIRED

In practice, you only save your CC ON A SHOP ONLY IF YOU TRUST IT, otherwise just use it only as a last step to do the transaction.

Even though I have a VISA debit card I can and have used the VISA pay pass thing most places accept.

When you enter info of any kind in it's through VISA themselves.

I've used them for over 10 years with no issues at all.
I've used them to pay subscriptions directly from the card and from PayPal with no issues, but i usually just get gift cards to pay for my subscriptions.

Sperg, you don't require Paypal for that, most sites do not require CC info stored ON THEM, they only send you to a bank website, which is usually very trustworthy, e.g. your very bank or another big bank of your country.

It's only Amazon and the like, that people tend to trust anyway have options to literally save CC info on them.

>unless your bank is run by pajeets
Newsflash, every bank that isn't a complete joke is run by pajeets on the back end

The modern banking system is basically held together with duct tape and post-it notes, if you had any idea what went on behind the scenes you'd convert all your assets to gold and run for the hills

>In practice, you only save your CC ON A SHOP ONLY IF YOU TRUST IT, otherwise just use it only as a last step to do the transaction.

Try to buy something from Aliexpress without giving them your card info (or using some pajeet tier payment system).

You obviously don't know how online shopping works user