I7 950...is it the GOAT?

I7 950...is it the GOAT?

No, 975 is. Can be bought for under $100 and can OC to 4.1GHz stable.

Why not just use a hexcore Xeon? Many are compatible.

Hmm. I didnt know Xeon stuck with the 1366 socket for that long of a time.

The Xeon X5690 is fairly cheap too.

But at most that Xeon is slightly faster than the 975 in some cases, and fairly even in others. And its twice the price as the 975 on eBay.

That's pretty shiet. I've got my i7 870 at 4.3GHz 1.3725v.

'slightly' faster
lel my OCed X5675 is getting 1000 points in Cinebench, good luck getting that with an i7

That's a shit voltage and will degrade your CPU

No, the Xeon X5680 is

>I7 950...is it the GOAT?

>$562 retail price
lol no

The i7 920 came out several months earlier, and was only $300 and could be OC'd to basically identical levels as the i7-950.

Got 552 on stock speeds.
You do have the core, and clock advantage tho.

New gen quad core i7s get ~900-1000.

Well I'm suck with old hardware, and I upgraded it to flagship components on the cheap. I get 60 FPS in the games I play, so I am content.

>>$562 retail price
Talking about retail price for a 7 year old CPU. Top kuck.

Shit is $50 on eBay right now.

stable 4.3GHz for a 100$ hexacore really isn't too shabby
have turned down the OC to a nice and cool 4GHz because who the fuck needs that much CPU anyway

who

///4690k///

So fucking what? It can't be GOAT by definition if you're only talking about how good it is for the price in 2017.

GOAT CPU from Nahlem was i7-920.

$300 and just as good as the $500+ ones. If you bought an i7-920 at launch you could still be rocking it today and be content.

gtfo this is comfy x58 topic

AMD cucks mad that they can't even beat a 6 year old platform

Still using my 920 @ 3GHz

You know some things gain value over time.

Nope. Been stable for 4 years now.

It's only an issue if it goes over 1.4V

Yes.
My penis is very valuable to bitches and hos. Just ask ya mom

Same. 920 is Goat. No need to upgrade.

Then dont fucking call it GOAT

Greatest of all time is not a fit match for something that only became good 8 years after the fact.

>time
>no longer being relevant after a said amount of time

Agreed. Best model so far. Useful machine from late 2008-now.

I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade to be honest, it's starting to feel slow as fuck to encode videos compared to my laptop's 3XXXQM and for blender cycles rendering.

>If you bought an i7-920 at launch you could still be rocking it today and be content.
Doing exactly that, with the same old launch time 12GB RAM.

And even if I replace it to get smaller transistors eventually, it will probably continue to get used by someone else, as gaming machine or Linux server or whatever.

2000 and late

They behave a little bit differently, as they're 32nm rather than 45nm. They're not far off from the ever-popular Sandy, on top of the additional cores.

You're right in that they do cost more, though. Not a bad consideration if you really want that 1366 to go the extra mile.

Feels like you need NVENC/VCE and a matching GPU to reasonably encode H.265 anyhow.

Feels the same way for Blender Cycles, probably should use OpenCL or CUDA... though I heard it was a bit buggy? Not sure.

it's ok we'll take our x97's and go play somewhere else.

anyway what's the best 1st gen i7 cpu and mobo to get on ebay? that's gonna be my next cheap computer build.

i don't know why i build all these computers......

Why not lga775 (ddr3) with an x5450? Should be cheaper and still offer decent performance.

already running a 2.83 ghz quad core 2 with 8 gigs ddr3 on said machine.

looking at ark.intel and comparing the two cpu's, the xeon has twice the L2 cache and nearly twice as many transistors, otherwise looks the same.

something i'm overlooking here?

The problem with cycles GPU rendering is the memory capacity needed on the GPU to hold all the assets of a scene which isn't a problem for small ones but if you're using high quality textures the memory requirements start to skyrocket, and we all know how NVidia prices their GPU memory. The OpenCL version is still very experimental.

GPU video encoders always look pretty awful, I'd rather keep using ffmpeg.

I'm hyped for zen if it keeps its promises.

The xeon gets good multicore performance because of that. Which core 2 is it?

The x5450 at stock speeds can match an Ivy bridge i3 in multicore performance, or better in some instances because it's not held back by hyperthreading?
It's still very good for its age.

I'm happy with my 975. I have not even OC'd it yet. I still have room to grow.

What GPU can I get that wont bottleneck? I currently have 2x 480

q9500 2.83 ghz. i plan on selling it to some kid that needs to get into gayman peecee's once my mediocre vidya card comes in from dem innanets.

I'm still on an i3 2120, should I upgrade to the i7 950?

What cooler ? Mine would shit the bed

How is that an upgrade?

How is that gonna work?

you need to stay in the 1155 family.

A1-V10

Get the 2600

Should be a tiny bit faster but not worth upgrading over mate.

Why not look at something like a D2500 to tinker with just for fun?

I finally swapped my i7-920 that was OC'd to 3.5 for a W3690 that defaults to basically the same clock speed, but has 6 cores, 12 threads. Best decision ever. Despite being just as fast with no OC, and having 50% more cores, it idles 10 degrees cooler than my 920 did. Go figure.

My fellow 1366 brothers, you should seriously consider grabbing a Westmere Xeon (W3680, W3690, X5680, X5690) on the cheap if you don't yet want to upgrade beyond this generation.

>1st get i7
it was never GOAT not even on release.

Underage go and stay go

No, the GOAT was the 1.4GHz AMD Thunderbird