/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:

Honor 6X Review
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_6x-review-1560.php

The Huawei Mate 9 Review
anandtech.com/show/10871/the-huawei-mate-9-review

New Report Says LG G6 Will Ditch Removable Battery In Favor Of Waterproof Design, May Feature Google Assistant
xda-developers.com/new-report-says-lg-g6-will-ditch-removable-battery-in-favor-of-waterproof-design-may-feature-google-assistant/

Microsoft Lumia sales come crashing down at minus 81%
phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-Lumia-sales-come-crashing-down-at-minus-81_id90464

LG Announces Q4 Loss of $224 Million
xda-developers.com/lg-announces-q4-loss-of-224-million/

Moto G5 receives FCC certification, Moto G5 Plus specs confirmed by GPUz
phonearena.com/news/Moto-G5-receives-FCC-certification-Moto-G5-Plus-specs-confirmed-by-GPUz_id90454

You can buy the HTC U Ultra™ I guess...
htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-u-ultra/buy/

Old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3PtFKWwWCnc
xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-users-experiencing-random-bootloops/
youtube.com/watch?v=2cOUseflKNE&index=97&list=WL
forums.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3-3t/689777-will-oneplus-3-work-verizon.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for HTC not dead.

Second for zuk z2 and coolpad cool1

Third for mate 9 best phone currently

I hate the Zuk Z2 because of the shilling. I'm buying the Cool1 Dual after the Chinese New Year, It's shit compared to the Honor 6x and the Redmi Note 4 Indian version. It's a waste of money.

The Coolpad Cool1 Dual is the Indian version (shit camera but comes with FM radio in the ROM plus has Gorilla Glass) while the LeEco Cool1 Dual is the Chinese version (better camera but still shit, has no FM radio on ROM and has no Gorilla Glass), most reviews are made by Pajeets with the Coolpad Cool1 (C103) while Russians review the LeEco Cool1 (C106). The C103 ROM can be used on the C106 phone

Redmi Note 3 Pro or Redmi Note 4?
Why?

So, for around $200, is the z3 compact the best sub 5" non-iOS phone you can get in 2017?

>country
USA
>carrier
at&t
>features
small, okay camera (something better than the moto x 2014), good battery life, good display, expandable storage
>budget
around $200
>size
smaller than 5"

I have a question to you guys.
I plan to buy a phone with
MTK6750 Octa Core 1.5GHz Mali 860MP2
I want to know if I can play a game called shadowverse without any lag.
Does anyone have something along that specs and could download and try it out?

Why isn't the unlocked s7 edge getting nougat?

My Nexus 5 is slowly dying after many years of usage.

So I want to upgrade, but I'm really not sure where to look.

I want something affordable, with a decent camera and I give a shit about security.

Any advice? Oneplus 3? iPhone SE?

pic unrelated

iPhone SE is the best value iPhone and Oneplus 3T is the best value android atm. Both are great choices. It comes down to which OS and screen size you prefer.

Which phone has the hands down best IDLE battery life?

I can handle my phone dying quick when I'm using it but I hate keeping it locked in my pocket for 2 hours and 10% or whatever is just gone.

Probably, looks like a fairly simple 2d game.

Everything looks simple but my current phone can't even run the game.
Sony Xperia S nor could my friends cheap quadcore with mali720. So wondering if anyone have something they could try and see if it works.

My brother has a MT6753 phone (8x1.7ghz, t760mp2) with a 1080p screen, I could ask him.

You can? Please do, would mean a lot for me. Download it, give it a go and see how it performs.
Thank you user.

Yeah, I'll ask him when I get home.

If I forget to post my findings until later, check the archives.

I will be here a long time, so no problem

This comes from personal anectode but if you adjust the stamina and low battery modes right, sony phones last for 2 days -as they are advertised- with light to moderate use. I can sometimes manage to go for three days if i don't check stuff often. this happens when I have a busy week at work and don't want to bother with facebook/whatsapp messaging with friends or co-workers but just occasional checks for new mail and listening to music for short periods.

If you keep doing shit with a sony phone, you may not even last a day though, and they get pretty warm. at least bonus points for winter as a hand heater.

have also been looking at the z3c, but i'm in australia. it really does seem pretty great.

Why the hell the Xperia X has a SD 650?

To differentiate it from the X Performance

So what are the requirements for getting a new device under Google device protection policy? Are there any situations where they don't request the old phone back? And if so, do they blacklist the esn or something?

Don't be a nigger

iOS users. Whats your essential apps you use? (paid/free)

Guys, is there a website where I could filter trough all kinds of china shitphones to find what I like? Like check some boxes to narrow my search? For exmaple I would like for my phone to have fingerprint scanner, usb type c, 1080p screen, decent processor, etc. So i would check these boxes and I would get somewhat narrowed search results.

Read the OP faggot

Not a mediatek but my phone has a snapdragon410 (quadcore 1.4 ghz) with 2GB of ram and it can run shadowverse pretty well, i just installed it to test, if you like card games yugioh duel links lags pretty hard so don't even try it, weird since i can run the PSP tag force games via emulator just fine.

How much is said mediatek phone going to cost you? Because you could get an old Galxy S5 or an LG G2 for cheap and those still have good specs.

Don't support artificially high prices.

Sadly I can't get here any cheap old ones but the phone I am looking at is around 90€
Is the Adreno 306 better than Mali860?

I haven't, but the person asking about Google device protection policy obviously did

Then how about saving up a little more to get a Redmi Note 3 Pro? My spaniard friend got one for 135 europoors and it's the snapdragon650/3GB of ram one and he plays demanding games like mortal kombat, nova and modern combat without lag on it.

Might do that, but I am not really into other games. I just happen to be addicted to the card game shadowverse, playing it a lot on pc and now want a smartphone that can handle it while I am on the go.

Then keep playing on PC and save up for a decent phone that will last you a few years, i wouldn't buy a crappy phone even if it was 1 dollar unless i was really desperate to play some game.

I am already playing it on PC just said I would like to buy a phone to be able to run the game. I am not in need for the best phone ever. Just something that runs it without problem.

grindr
twitch
breitbart

Well mediatek phones are known to be slower than even the lowest end snapdragon so you would be better off buying an old flagship or a meme budget phone (Redmi Note 3 Pro, Zuk Z3) if you want to play a game on your phone, android games are often unoptimized beyond words.

Actually the Zuk Z2 would be your best bet, it packs an Snapdragon820 (what all flagships from 2016 were using) with 4GB of ram, 64GB for storage and a 3500 mAh battery, one of the best cameras this side of budget smartphones and it comes with some nifty features like fingerprint scanner and gyrometer for games like pokeman go, 1080p on a 5" phone is also pretty comfy but i've heard the software is total shit, not a problem since you can flash a rom from zuk forums and fix it, it also doesn't have an sd slot but i don't think you'll really need it.

You can get it for around 210 dollars, that's about 190 euros.

>got the 256gb SD card for free
>over the course of 3 months I only used 3 gb

I feel like I'm wasting it

Sell it then

S7 flat (is the edge version different? apart from extra screen) or HTC 10? (they cost almost the same).

Start watching anime? A 12 episode series at 720p is around 16GB.

Sony is rumoured to introduce up to 5 phones at the coming MWC and "leaks" have been coming out recently.

youtu.be/3PtFKWwWCnc

this looks like an updated XA. they also might introduce the successor to the z5 premium again with a 4k 5.5" display.

lg and samsung are all going "we need to go wider" route with different aspect ratios and i am really wondering if this is an implication that people/brands don't care about watching stuff with or without borders. maybe the mobile media consumption craze is over.

To the guy that asked for me to try Shadowverse on my brother's phone, it works completely smoothly.

They're the same except the S7 Edge has a larger screen (5.1" vs 5.5") and a bigger battery (3000mah vs 3600mah)

Compared to the HTC 10 the S7 has
>better camera
>better screen
>better battery life
>waterproof
>wireless charging

>worse software
>worse speakers
>worse audio
>no USB C

Thank you, then I know it. The performance according to google should be on par with adreno 405. So will be quite well.

I just hope they finally go for UHD screens, bigger batteries than 3000 mAh and more than 3GB of ram because while their phones are gorgeous i can't really justify spending 800 on those specs when i could get them for 300 from other brands, good on them for keeping the SD slot all these years though.

Aren't the 18:9 and 18.5:9 aspect ratios that LG and Samsung are rumoured to be using in their new phones taller, not wider, than 16:9?

oh i meant; if held horizontally, wider. otherwise yes, they are claimed to have long af screens.

when will phone producers realize that not a small part of the market would want a smaller screen, but not paired with entry level internals? most modern "phones" or minitablets with ability to call I should say, are just uncomfortable to carry, and what's the point of a mobile phone if you don't want to have it with you?

The HTC10 camera is on par with the S7 it just can't record in 4k, as for "better screen" it's up to the user since LCD is more accurate and battery efficient while AMOLED is saturated colors and ultra bright screens, iirc the SoT is better on the HTC10 but everything else is correct.

IMO the HTC10 is the better phone.

It can record in 4k.

Wanna get a Iphone 6S Plus, which I kind of dont afford. A friend recomended the Oneplus 3T. Anyone know if its a good choice?
The price is about what I would want to spend on a phone and as long as it plays music I just want a nice camera. A big screen is nice too.

tl;dr is the oneplus 3T good?

Yes, best android phone at the moment in terms of price/performance

What phone you're getting?

The village store has gotten a huge supply of doogee y6 max
So will get one for 90€
Which is not so expensive and works well for me.

>6.5"
That's a big phone

For you!

OnePlus 3 or the Nexus 6p? Both have things I want in a phone, and they're both relatively the same price.

Nexus phones have been bootlooping and turning off at 30% battery like crazy as of late, look it up, it's almost like google made them like that on purpose to get you to buy the pixlel and it's a hardware issue present on ALL phones, so not even warranty will save you from this as you'll just get another phone on a short timer.

Get the OP3.

anyone have a pixel xl? I'm stuck on vzw for a little and I broke my nexus 6p. ordered a pixel xl early December and hasn't shipped yet. is it worth the wait? or should I just spend $200 to fix my nexus? or s7e?

Sweet jesus that sounds terrifying. I'll have to read up on that, thanks.

Stop exaggerating this shit. Nexus phones are fine.

I'd recommend the nexus because of the massively superior community support

Yes, you've already waited that long, you can wait a bit longer

>exaggerating

Yeah no, you can fuck right off (((friend))), this is an issue officially acknowledged by google, i won't allow a poor user to buy an expensive, shitty paperweight.

xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-users-experiencing-random-bootloops/

>Unfortunately for the owners who experience this bootloop, there doesn’t appear to be any remedy. No amount of data wiping or re-flashing factory images seems to solve the problem, which would indicate that the issue is perhaps hardware related.

>Indeed it was, as a Google representative confirmed on Reddit a few months back when the final Nougat Developer Preview was rolling out:

>We understand that a very small number of users are experiencing a bootloop issue on your device. We are continuing to investigate the situation, but can confirm that this is strictly a hardware related issue. For those of you that are currently experiencing this, please contact your place of purchase for warranty or repair options.

And in case you want to buy the pixlel it also has its own share of issues, the most glaring being the camera having a permanent lens flare and the speakers crackling at max volume.

Nexus 6P has the terrible snapdragon 810 that overheats like a bitch makes the phone lag because of thermal throttling. Also the battery life is short. Also pic related.

>very small number
Lel

Moto Z Play for $300 a good deal?

Seems like a really good buy, getting a lot of good reviews. I played with one at a Verizon store and it was really smooth. My only issue was the volume and power button placement. They're very high up and kinda makes it awkward to use them, even with my big hands.

Anyone got an Axon 7? Opinons? It seems like the best phone at its pricerange.

What to do with an old phone?

I use my old G2 as a remote

What does it offer over the Zuk Z2 pro?

Help

Better sound mainly, they're pretty similar though, amazing specs at a fair price boggled down by the shittiest sofware chinks can offer.

What's a good phone and carrier for someone who basically never uses their phone? Never used more than 500 megabytes of data, send maybe a dozen texts a month on average, and cannot recall the last time I made a phone call

iPhone 7 here. Did I make a mistake.

So top priced androids don't have SD card slots? None of them?

I have one, agree to a certain extent with this user that the specs are amazing.

I wouldn't say the software is the shittiest, but there are a few minor and maybe 1-2 major complaints.

I think it distinguishes itself from the Z2 with screen size, quality, and Daydream support (soon) in addition to sound. If any of those things are important to you, it's a great buy.

Is this tutorial accurate on how to bootload the Nexus 5?

youtube.com/watch?v=2cOUseflKNE&index=97&list=WL

Is there a way to do this without wiping the phone?

>one of the best cameras this side of budget smartphones
You should hide your bait properly. This clearly shows you're merely pretending to be an idiot.

Your parents made a mistake

Moto G4 Play and whatever carrier has the cheapest data

Galaxy S7 has it, HTC 10 has it, LG V20 and G5 have it, Moto Z, Huawei P9, Sony XZ... It's pretty much only applel and pixlel phones that don't have a SD slot.

I just bought a couple of replacement batteries for my new phone (new to me - it's a used device) and intend on storing away the one it came with. Should I run it out completely before storing it? Or does it not matter?

Have we heard anything new about Rubin's phone?

So, there's nothing really better all around at $300?

Why does the One Plus X have an AMOLED display but the 2 doesn't?

and like the One Plus One, the 2 is GSM compatible right? not like the X lacking 4G?

Thanks

I broke my phone today (Galaxy J1) but I need it for work so I'm going to get a knew phone tomorrow. I live in the US and I have service through Verizon. I don't really care about price but I'd like the phone to at least have a headphone jack, have a good camera, a good battery, and be quick. What should I get?

RIP Oneplus
forums.androidcentral.com/oneplus-3-3t/689777-will-oneplus-3-work-verizon.html

Well what the hell works on Verizon?

Looking at getting a chink phone for $150 maximum with kernel source available. I hae found the Ulefone Metal but is there any others?

I have the Moto Z play. It's a really nice phone that is $200 less than most flagships

My stepdad is buying me a phone and he's half-literate on tech and economics. He thinks I should wait for the S8 and buy that since I'm not in a rush to have a phone. Is he right or wrong? Even if it flops it's sure to drive prices a bit lower.

Alright so I'm stuck on what my next phone is going to be. I'm upgrading from the note 4. Upgrade date is April/May. No cap on money.

My choices were Iphone7 Plus, S8 Plus, or One Plus 3T. I'm not sure if I would go to Iphone, doesn't even have quick charging. By the rumors on the s8, it sounds like it'll have only 4 gigs ram, which isn't a huge upgrade at all from my note. The oneplus 3t has a decent battery, and 6 gigs ram, but the screen is subpar to my note. Anons I don't know what to do.

its okay but just remember that its not actually waterproof and be very careful with the headphone jack, its a known problem with their phones

>Moto Z play
You paid $400 for a 32GB phone?

It depletes after a while anyway, just don't keep it boxed somewhere where it gets extremely warm and you'll be fine, or better yet just throw it away.

anyone have anything?

Xiaomi mi5 is way better, and prettier

Wait for the MWC, but don't get a galaxy