/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ [Open]
>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_cstYM0s_mE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw I fucked up both my /wt/ because the /wt/ was missing from the title last time and the previous thread link isn't underneath

Feels bad mane

does the SSA303J1 look too busy/big to be a dress watch? it's a 42x14mm

New acquisition

i'm sorry

You were told that it's too thick.

If you have a picture of your watch being worn from a straight on angle, please feel free to post it along with your wrist size, diameter of the watch and lug-to-lug of the watch. Because it comes up so frequently I'll try and compile a small collection of images of wrist-size and lug-to-lug length combinations that can be used for reference, rather than simply telling people that they should be looking at smaller watches.

If you're not sure how to measure your wrist, you can take a flexible tape measure, or just use a piece of string and wrap it around your wrist, then measure the length of the string required to circle your wrist.

Wrist size should be in inches, lug-to-lug and diameter should be in mm.

Thanks.

Example image of a straight on photo with measurements recorded.

I'll look to compile these images into some sort of easily browsed format or master images.

Yeah I'd say it's more of a sports watch How far you got with that nineball

18cm wrist (7 inches)
42.5mm diameter
46mm lug to lug

Not far, at some point I need to start searching forums to see if I can find examples of photos and see if the poster ever mentions their wrist size, then I can check the reference's dimensions and get more images that way.

It's really not bad. It's definitely thick but on my wrist I can't even notice it. I'm used to thick dive watches already though so it might feel more conspicuous if you weren't.

You gonna put together like an info graphic or another paste bin?

Yeah, something along those lines. Or maybe a google drive folder or something. I figured it would be nice if you could open a folder of images of guys that all have a similar wrist size to you, and browse thru images of progressively larger watches on that wrist size.

While the buttons at 2 and 4 o'clock look better than the ones on the Speedmaster I wonder why they are both so determined to abuse the black-on-black-with-black-in-black theme.

Personally I think the generous lume on the SpeedyTuesday version was a major selling point.

Good start to the thread, you redeemed yourself OP

I'm stuck guys, looking for my first proper diver, do I go cheapish (orient, seiko) or go for the seamaster or which I've wanted since I was a wee lad, convince me not to buy Omega?

Also marinemaster is on my on my radar because it's damn sexy too

What are some good wristwatch instagrams to follow?

Something with affordable variety too and not just Rolex/Hublot/Omega over and over

My only problem with the Seamaster, is that damned fucking bezel, no grip to the thing.

Consider a Tudor Pelagos or BB.

>My mid life crisis > yours!

Also no dates are the same.

>Good start to the thread, you redeemed yourself OP
Thanks, but I'm not OP.
OP is always a faggot.

The seamaster looks fucking terrible
Also,
>falling for the coaxial meme

The ones I follow are
whatusmenlike
millionaireswatches
watchulove
daylywatch
ifuckinglovewatches
hodinkee

A question that fell off from the last thread:

From pic. some jewels have 2 (blue) screw, others have 3. In a few cases there are no screws.

Why?

In modern watchmaking the use of chatons is mainly for aesthetic reasons, to embellish the movement and follow tradition, as the use of synthetic standardized jewels has solved a problem chatons used to target.

However, when I ask Hanna Lange the same thing once, she told me it is manily because of the size and weight of the chatons, wich normally obeys to the size of the staff.

If you pay attention, mostly to the left caliber, you'll notice that the thickness of the ring in the chatons with three screws is greater than those in wich only two screws are used. That is because the chaton used to provide stability has to be a bit bigger, and demands more gold an thus, weights more, requiring another screw to be absolutely secured.

However, unless there are some other reasons related to the calibers construction, AL&S will try to use three screws to fix their chatons, if the can.

On the other hand, there're times in wich there's simply not enough space to place a third screw, like the one placed over the word "REGULIERT" on the right caliber, where the use of a third screw would push the others two too close to the edge, plus it's not a big chaton.

And lastly, there are places where there's no space to screws, like the chaton closer to the engraved bridge on the same right caliber.

Congrats user.

It's more on the sports side m8.

Nice! I need more girls like this in my life.

hey! That's my speedy. :^)

I owe a few more of this, my friend.

>I wonder why they are both so determined to abuse the black-on-black-with-black-in-black theme.
Readability

thehorophile
hororsgam
dailywatch
equationdutemps
watchesbysjx
handwound

fuck
wrong image

Posting my favourite watch

Just for you lawyer.

Oh sweet summer child.

>In modern watchmaking the use of chatons is mainly for aesthetic reasons
Thanks for the explanation.

>buying an ugly Swatch
why

>not knowing what focal length is
Retard

How does /wt/ feels about Oris?
There is a sale in a local store and I'm mirring a 3 hands Artelier for 1500.
It would be my first swiss meme watch.

Great question, I owned a 2255.80 and the new ceramic seamaster (both gone now). I only like those models and really dislike the fading bezels of those models as well as the dated look.

My skx007 is one of two watches I am confident I would never sell. If youre not gonna get it this time you will get it eventually. So why not now? I say go with the SKX007 it is a classic and its great. Get it with metal bracelet or youll regret it.

skx007 or skx013, which is the better fuckoff watch/

Kind of looks like you've got four kinds of the same watch.

I dropped my Amphibian and it stopped. I have no experience with watch repair and no tools specifically made for watch repair. Should I attempt to fix it myself or not?

>Should I attempt to fix it myself

Absolutely not. Take it to a watchmaker. Just don't be surprised if the service ends up being a considerable % of the original price of the watch.

Opinion?

>asking for opinions about a grand seiko in a Seiko General thread

What about this one

Speaking of seikos, about to pull the trigger on this one, what do you guys think?

>spuring duraibu
>not snow frake

S N O W F L A K E

Get an omega speedmaster MAN ON THE FUCKING MOON.

This one.

Don't go to a watchmaker unless they're Russian and will not charge you $200. A new movement is only $30. Attempt to fix the old one and if not just swap it easily.

They look quite busy with everything going on. I prefer something simpler but if you like it then go for it.

youtu.be/_cstYM0s_mE

the most techy post in this thread.

This guy comes up to your squale 1521-026 in the club and slaps it in the ass.

Wat do?

Get a 007 unless you have bitch wrists.

Dressy as fuck.

Why is he so scrawny now? Cancer? AIDS?

he claims he has no muscle mass becuase of his lung collapsing and the surgery they did to fix it weakening him so he only does cardio now

Yeah the black bay is gorgeous, definitely something to consider. Unfortunately the Pelagos is out of my budget for now.

This is true

But that was pre coaxial user

Appreciate it man. What bracelet though, is the oyster style in pic related worth it? Or go for the classic

that is the italian nobleman?

>he claims he has no muscle mass becuase of his lung collapsing and the surgery they did to fix it weakening him so he only does cardio now

He's like a twig though. Shit even if he can't lift weights at all he would probably benefit by putting on a little weight.

That wife beater is pure class(tm)

Beaten down dogshit, nh35a being the only good thing about it.

>tfw got reported for trying to sell my chink DW watch
>tfw they will close my account if I ever try to do it again

Fucking JewBay I swear

4r36 is better than the 7s26 most seikos have.

They can be a decent Sub homage if all the dogshit garish Invicta branding is removed.

he says to measure it physically. not the image.

retard.

his point is that with the same measurements, a picture could show very different things, so it wouldn't help to gauge how a watch will look on you.
retard.

>implying you can't replicate the measurements on a piece of paper and see for yourself

retard.

then the pictures would be useless wouldn't they?

lmao

True about the movement and case/links, quite solid indeed. Dial leaves to be desired however, as it gets easily damaged as you can see the blurriness in the photo

You mean the crystal? That's true of any mineral crystal. There's probably an aftermarket sapphire crystal that can be fitted, that way you can lose the ugly cyclops at the same time.

No, the actual Dial/face. Some bump a long time ago somehow scratched the dial against the rehaut, nicking out some of the markers. Will try to get photo later.

While I can't dictate that all pictures are taken under the same conditions (I could try, but imagine how few picture I would get then), if we get enough of them they should still be able to give us some sort of reference if we can manage to collect enough of them. I certainly plan on taking picture of all mine under one condition, and if lawyer does so as well at least for our wrist sizes we should be able to give anons a potentially helpful reference. Focal length should not invalidate the usefulness of these photos completely. While cellphone cameras can very, I bet a lot of these photos will be taken with similar hardware from similar distances.

As for replicating the measurements to make a 3d model of wrist and watch, I wasn't sure about that. Do wrists of varying sizes still have roughly the same ratio of measurements? I thought maybe so but didn't want to assume.

I mean really, for at least a more accurate view it would be nice to also ask for a side-on shot of the watch, to literally just look at lug overhang, but I figured it would be even more difficult to have a variety of people use roughly similar methods to produce images like that.

These images could always be used as part of a larger guide about watch sizing on a body, rather than being an independent reference.

Hey boys, Steinhart marketing here :)

This is what I mean. Markers around the 50-minute area got scratched out, their debris clouding the inside of the watch.

I'm absolutely in love with this 18 carat, rose gold TAG Heuer Carrera watch purchased from the beautiful city of Perth. Made with sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch, I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece. The calibre 16 movement has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced, completely handmade by man. It is also my very first day date watch and it will be interesting to see if it becomes an important feature that Will depend on over time. I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.

>shilling this hard

I don't know what you mean good sir, I just wanted to share my first high end luxury watch with people I know will really appreciate the prime quailty it represents.

Go back to redd.it to steal pics and stories..

Well part of removing the branding would be to swap to a sterile dial, problem solved.

what a classy piece! wear it in good health sir.

Looks boring AF

No you.

Ur mum looks boring af

Lmaoing@ur lyfe rn ngl senpai

Smartphones are in the 25mm equivalent range. The human eye is around 45mm equivalent. By default all pictures taken with a smartphone will have exaggerated proportions due to the nature of using such a wide angle lens at close range (ironically also awful for pretty selfies). This is evident by the frequent comments here critiquing watch and wrist sizes. You are deluding people to think they can determine proper size from photos online and they will be unnecessarily biased toward smaller watches and unnecessarily narrowing their choices. It's not difficult to walk into any Walmart with a ruler and trying on a few watches yourself of different sizes and styles before making a purchase online. Thus, we don't need your shit cluttering the thread.

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt by people not being a fan of your oversized watch.

I suppose. But this one's a beater, not modder, maybe later. Still enjoying it as is reminding me of the dogshit I've visited.

I'm failing to intuitively see how this is an improvement on a conventional escapement.

Got my new watch!
Definitely not a quality piece. But it should be fun.
It's alslo my first handwinder and I have no idea when it's full.
Also, that strap is far and away the worst I've ever seen. It feels like cardboard, literally. I don't really know what to replace it with, I'm open to ideas. Maybe a grey perlon?

If it's manual wind only you generally just keep winding it until it stops.

huh, i stopped after a while because i figured it had to be done.
how many turns should it take to fully wind? more like 5 or more like 50?

Ah! Now I see.

It reduces friction during the impulse phases. Cool.

also look at that marker just below 3, fucking drunk slavs can't do anything properly
i don't imagine they have a lot of QC in belarus

yeah, and it theoretically shouldn't need lubrication either

ah yeah i wound it some more and it stopped. it took more than i thought. thank you

This is a problem when and only when you view the world 24/7 through a viewfinder.

Well, do you?

>handmade by man
*Man, woman and child in state of the art Guangzhou factory!

Other than a lack of day and no crown guard and possibly no lumed hands I like this one. The design is tidy and more what I would expect from the land of the Ikebana.