What would happen if Windows went open source?

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.org/osd-annotated
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Would it also be libre?

libre and open source are not the same thing. You can have proprietary software under a license with restrictions like you cannot sell it for money and still be open source.

he clearly knows that, hence the question.

Lets assume that it would be free to modify, but only Microsoft is allowed to distribute it.

So modification for personal use only.

Laugh at daily "lol MS cant' code" threads because linux and GNU especially are eldritch horrors, even compared to the leaked NT source.

does that allow submitting bugfixes to MS?

I don't see windows going libre, they most likely would have a non commercial license at minimal attached to it.

>you cannot

The law is only as meaningful as it is enforced.

you "cannot" torrent anime fansubs

nothing. people would create their own shitty fragmentations of it and it wouldn't go anywhere. MS would still have the main version pretty much unchanged from what it is now.

you just have to look at Darwin and macOS to see open sourcing it wouldn't do anything.

Yes

And it also allows you to submit your own distribution of the OS and Microsoft can offer it as a free or paid download if they feel like it is something consumers would be interested in.

seriously ? you've either never read the leaked windows source code , or never read the linux source code

Linux is a horror as a design
GNU is a horror in every way possible

oh god no. then we'll end up with a fragmented mess like loonshit.

Operate it like Red Hat does. Free to download and use, but enterprise grade support costs money, and a lot of it. Then you have the Fedoras and CentOSs that poor people use and pretend is superior.

>The law is only as meaningful as it is enforced.
Microsoft is a mega corporation with a slew of lawyers and wealth. They are the enforcement.

1 poo has been deposited into your loo account, pajeet.

And yet every other person on this board is violating one or more of their licenses

They save the lawyers and wealth for companies that do real damage.

Have you?

>REEEE STOP MAKING MONEY OFF OF OPEN SOURCEEEEE

wanna know how I know you're fat?

so is the windows source.
i agree about the gnu code, but the linux code is just great

>He-hehe y-you're f-f-at
Another poo has been deposited into your loo, pajeet.

everyone did when the windows code was leaked. i've read the linux code when we switched from 2.4 to 2.6. and once again at 2.6.3X, never read the 3.X/4.X code though

We could look at the botnet in all it's glory

This would be awesome, it would be so much easier to maintain my old game library and improve general performance.

If this happens, why would anyone in their right mind use linox?

>Sh-shit, he got me! I-I'll just pull the ol' "repeat until he quits" trick!

Even if they open sourced it and did not allow distribution that would be great. WINE would be able to make leaps and bounds of progress.

Normies wouldn't understand compiling the source code anyway and wouldn't be able to get Windows through that method so I don't think it would harm their revenues.

>If this happens, why would anyone in their right mind use linox?
because windows is broken by design ? just open sourcing it wouldn't magically fix the horrible code and broken design

Want to know how I know you're an Indian?

Because we could improve WINE and have much better system performance. Plus you wouldn't need the effort of removing all the shitty botnet code and fixing the worst goddamn code base on the planet that is Windows.

Embrace
Extend
Extinguish

I'm not fat pajeet, shouldn't you be reserving your place in the designated shitting street?

>You can have proprietary software under a license with restrictions like you cannot sell it for money and still be open source.

Under the most widely-used definition of "open source", the restrictions you mentioned would not be compatible with the term "open source".

Let's go straight to the source, shall we?

opensource.org/osd-annotated

> The Open Source Definition
> ...
> The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software

Go back to pooing in the street pajeet.

>58694119
Nobody would be able to actually build it

This isn't the street, poojet hat shill.

>Pajeet still shilling for poo hat
You'll afford a toilet one of these days pajeet. I admire your patience.

Linux will be absolutely destroyed.

doubtful.
windows source is probably a huge pain in the ass to deal with. it supports every pc out there and can run binaries from 20 years ago. sounds like a nightmare.

Sad pajeet, all you can do is just project your own poo related insecurities. I won this argument a long time ago.

Hackers could improve it.

Entire world would sit and bust it's ass at how shit under the hood it is.

It's probably worse than Xorg codebase.

Someone post the screencap of those ex-win developer chatlogs.

Here's what would realistically happen:
1.) a ton of vulnerabilities would be found and exploited
2.) people would recoil in absolute horror at what a shitshow Windows is under the hood
3.) no one would even be able to compile it on their own (because of 2) so Microsoft's profits would be pretty safe

>Sh-shit, he got me! I-I'll just pull the ol' "repeat until he quits" trick!

>It's probably worse than Xorg codebase.
the nt4/2k sourcecode was already as bad as xorgs code, and since then microsoft just continued to stack shit onto of shit.

Imagine if its kernel was Unix-like all along.

Give it up poojet, you lost. All you do is repeat yourself till you hope someone gives up in frustration. It won't work here, return to the designated shitting street.

DESIGNATED

Yes pajeet, just keep repeating yourself every 5 minutes. Redhat and microsoft must be paying you a lot for this.

I bet it will be more like how they've done it with Linux so far, and there will just be an open sourced windows subsystem, but the actual ntkernel and modules still binary blobs.

>Pajeet is STILL at it
Sad! Getting paid all this shilling money and can't even afford a toilet.

But the windows windowing system is a lot better than X.

Screencap me not going to happen at least ten years from now.

So, does anyone still have the leaked source code. I'd like to take a look and I can't seem to find it.

You mean the windows 2000 source code? You can easily find it via google.

Poo in loo pajeet, you pathetic shill.

Yes you can sell it you idiot.

Apocalypse happens

And I welcome it.

>being an edgy teenage anarchist

I hope not, Windows has worked well for decades. Best gaming and entertainment experience. Best workstation and productivity OS. I don't want autistic turbo nerds ruining it with their autism.

Here you go.

mega:///#!1E0GGbwD!cHEismWbLsDAWf3V0ZNcmcv7sb9l2P6gncjYDTZyTmo

Neck yourself. Open sourcing windows is the best thing Microsoft could do.

No. Open sores was a mistake.

You're wrong pajeet. Open Source is why you even have a job.

cringe

Oh, thanks a lot!

I know you're just bating, but.... jesus. Opening the source code of proprietary software is the best of both worlds.

>but the linux code is just great
t totally not a biased linus cocksucking linux fuccboi

Want to know how I know you're an Indian?

Wanna know how I know you poo in the streets?

They would continue to focus on more SAAS stuff and become even more similar to Google.

Wanna know how I know your name is pajeet?

just try to read it. it's easy to read and understand, well structured and (mostly) clean. there are some nasty hacks though

Wanna know how I know you're fat?

wanna know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know how I know how you know your fat?

wanna know how I know you're gay?