You're teaching CS to a room full of eager college Freshmen. What do you say?

You're teaching CS to a room full of eager college Freshmen. What do you say?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

start with pic realted first

Install gentoo

"If you came here expecting to create "Videogames" get out."

This

Only the ones who can install gentoo from scratch will pass this course

My class is not for
:people that are here to learn how to make video games and
:people that cannot name more than 3 compilers

If you fall under one of those category please leave. Also my course will require you to use *nix environment. If you can't, or don't even know what virtual machines are, you are free to leave as well.

You have 5 minutes to exit the class room, thank you.

>I want you all to read the first 5 chapters of the text book, then check the class homepage for the assignment.
>We will meet again on Monday to discuss Classes, Objects, Inheritance, Abstraction, and Interfaces.
>If you have any questions please check the syllabus to see when you can meet me as well as my email
>You're all dismissed

if you use microsoft or apple related products, get

Anyone incapable of googling shit should probably leave, unless you're ready to learn quick. I'm done with spoonfeeding answers to people who can't help themselves, and won't tolerate students doing that either.

>*nix

How would you pronounce this out loud?

I quit, goodbye everyone!

Fuck Linux; we are going to use TrueOS.
Anyone who objects, you fail. The door is also there.

nix

oh and i will borrow yours too.

>TrueOS
at least you tried

You can only speak if you have the speaking ball

so reasonable.

"nix" or "unix". The latter is just as correct, as linux and bsd are implementations of the unix platform

This isn't a CS class. It's a guerilla OS class.

Google shit if you wanna pass this course.
It isn't plagiarism in the workplace to "borrow" code.

Wonder why there are so many asians and indians and no white people.

I only use superior OSs such as Plan9 and Inferno, plebfessor

>"Oh, the teacher is a poor fag, I bet he takes the bus too"

Too bad BSD licence does not restrict me from stealing your code haha

>Virtual machines
>Poorfag
Must be hard having IQ lower than 40

Shitty teacher.

Everyone will respect my pronouns, there's no place for white privilege here, is CS fundamentally racist, next lesson will be on how President Trump will not divide CS and what can we do to combat hatred in programming.

>:people that cannot name more than 3 compilers
python compiler
c++ compiler
java compiler

top kek

Shitty student that needs constant spoonfeeding.
Gotta flip those burgers.

POO

IN

THE

LOO

has anyone took a cs class where the proff did anything but auto grade the assignments and give u a few stupid paper tests

>paid to teach
>instead has the student google shit

Still a shit teacher

"OOP is a meme."

I'll want the 3rd option, Pepsi for the drink.

>implying it's not fucking true
Error: Duplicate file exists. here.

the one formal in-person cs class I ever took was in high school, grading was manual (based on code working and comments), but there were stupid paper tests and the class was so shitty that I decided to major in physics instead

>"If all the White guys could stand up!"

>"Ok, sit down."

>"Now if all the Indians could stand up!"

>"Stay standing up, please"

>"Ok, the white guys who previously stood up, you see all these Pajeets? They'll have your jobs in 10 years time. Good luck."

>>"Stay standing up, please"
Sanjay my son

what engineering students in particular don't seem to get is that college is about teaching you how to think, not stringing you along so that you can pass the test if you pay attention
so yes, I'll lecture and answer questions on how things work and how a good programmer approaches problems, but not teach basic syntax or tolerate menial "why doesn't this code work?" questions

"All the straight men are rape enabeling oppressors!"

I'm a Data Structures TA at UC Berkeley, AMA.

I would begin by asking the class about how many of them have prior experience with programming, and asking those who do not what their current understanding is of what a computer program is, and what development of computer programs entails. I would then follow up upon their answers by showing them an example of some real world code using a simple language, such as Python, and engaging the less-experienced students in trying to figure out what this particular program does, and why they think that. Depending on their answers, I might then spend a few minutes going over some of the basic concepts employed, such as assignment of variables, control flow, and looping. I would use this as a segue into "what this class will be about", and begin covering the more important parts of the syllabus.

The second class would be spent covering the basic syntax of the language they would be learning, along with a brief overview of how to compile/run the program.

CS makes me sad. My school tries so hard and they have HtDP which is literally the gentlest and easiest introduction to programming, and then the next semester is basically just HtDP applied to Java and it's just as easy, and so many kids don't understand shit and can't write a simple program if their life depended on it.

Fuck I would kill to have a such a great teacher.

obviously lead with and when they're done, tell them to install gentoo

So how will you be using the other 48 minutes of lecture time?

As soon as you get out of the entry level classes, auto graders cease to be an effective tool for grading, as it is not merely a matter of "produces correct output for correct input." Some code analysis is required, which needs a human to do so. Tests are typically on paper, but I'd hardly call many of them stupid.

Also, professors have to lecture too. You can't just give assignments and tests.

it's the k-12 I'm telling you
the people enrolling in CS and other fields for "smart kids" are the ones who are best at following spoonfed directions and behaving in class. Turns out you can be utterly useless at thinking for yourself and come out on top in that system.

Do you think teaching syntax is the same as teaching someone how to design and write a program?
Is teaching to read the same as teaching to write?
Why do you think so?

Is it possible to go there without 100k in debt from rent?

They are not the same, and an introductory class must teach both.

>What do you say?

>Install gentoo

But after I'm done laughing, I ask if any of them has attempted any programming before, on their own. Those who have, have a shot. Those who haven't need to leave the classroom immediately. They are dropped.

Showing syntax examples and making kids copy and paste them is not teaching to write

>half of you will be dropping out by year two
>half of the remaining will be dropping out by year four
>the ones who graduate will be seeking employment entering an oversaturated market and competing against candidates from overseas thanks to h1 program.
>maybe ONE of you will become the next big indie dev but maybe
>this class will not teach you how to be a game developer
>if you're a white male your fucked. even by your own peers since they have become cucks
>if you're a white female you're next to check their privilege

It's not bad. As undergrad TAs our tuition is waived, so I don't need loans. And on top of that I receive a ~$2000/mo salary, which after tax is basically my rent.

Sour grapes.

If you don't know how I can't teach you and if you do know how you don't need me

So please drop this class so I can continue to collect my pay check alone

Re-read what I just said, and try again. I did not imply syntax = design. You must teach both what syntax means AND how to use that syntax to design programs. Ideally, you should also encourage students to be engaged in class. Have some programming assignments, but also have lots of whiteboarding. You can't just talk at them, you have to talk to them and gather their ideas on how a problem might be solved. And don't just call on the smart kids all the time. Make sure the entire class is capable of solving things, and if they make mistakes, show them how it might be corrected.

>Sour grapes.
Are you retarded or ESL?

you all over paid for this class , go to barnes and noble quit college and build your own company .
your wasting $$ that you will never earn back in this profession, unless you are your own company.
class over /walk out , never come back.

This a 100 times.

And then when it comes time for your colleagues to review you, they will note that you have basically not been teaching classes at all, and that your research and other services to the university are not nearly sufficient to make up for this. One of them will pull up a student evaluation form that reads, "Professor told us to drop the class at the beginning of the quarter, stating that he can't teach us. After ten weeks, that's probably the only thing he's ever said that I'll believe!" You will then be subsequently terminated for incompetence.

Most people are incapable thinking for themself because google always knows the answer.

>tell them to open up the preface of CLRS
>ask one of them to read it
>then tell them to rip out all the pages

youtube.com/watch?v=tpeLSMKNFO4

>Where we're going we don't need algorithms

>:people that cannot name more than 3 compilers
>don't even know what virtual machines are, you are free to leave as well.

they're there to learn about that shit you gigantic faggot.

Literally never teach anyone about anything.

Alright, class. Let's jump right in, shall we?

Let me tell you about the Jews.

W-WHAT ABOUT THEM?

Exactly how my University's calculus class started.

Not when Trump is cancelling their visas.

This should be what they do

intro to computers is getting really intimate with one

>first five chapters
fuck

y tho
What wrong with CLRS?

>Welcome to COMP 110. For those of you who taking this class intending to make videogames, please leave now. To those of you who must take this class as a part of your non-CS major, I will not baby you. For some of you this class will come easily, and for others, you will struggle. I am here to help, but I am not here to give you all the answers.

>Computer science is not about memorization. You will be expected to think for yourselves; to imagine your own solutions; to design, build, implement and test your own techniques. This is very much a skill - one you will need to practice and hone. But I know you are all capable. Now, let us begin with Chapter 1 of your Ruby textbook...

My class is unorthodox.

I am going to actually teach you how to code with modern languages and tools.

I know, I know. A bit radical, but you all will live.

kys

your students will be useless in 5 years

RIP your students, they won't be able to answer interview questions about C

What jobs do you interview for where they care about C?

If you are trained in CS and aren't constantly working to keep your skills fresh then you won't be employed long.

>Ruby
Class instantly dropped
What kind of faggot college of engineering doesn't have a course coordinator for entry level CS classes?

Ruby and python are the ideal languages to learn in. Kids have a hard enough time figuring out logical program structure and such without having to worry about fucking abstract interface bean factory factories.

Welcome students. On your desk youll see a book on Visual Basic. Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 are mandatory. We prefer a virtual machine on a Mac, because as youll learn in my class, Mac is sleek and the best which is why it costs so much. CS isnt for the poor. Make sure your telemetry is working for the CIA niggers.

Depends on the company, but any application development job usually needs at least the knowledge that comes from learning to work with memory in C or C++. I think Google had something that specifically involved a trivial use of malloc/free, and naturally a healthcare company I now work for with a lot of C++ code needed knowledge of that.

Everyone darker than a vietnamese person should just drop out now

Abandon all hope ye who come here to get in game design.

Tell them if they don't like mathematics then drop the course. Then start writing theorem-proofs on the board.

>Reading 5 chapters of K&R is now considered "hard" for university
Scum like you are what made my education worthless

You don't even mention K&R in your post retard. For practically any other book, that would be wild.

Maybe your education is worthless, because you are worthless. :^)

>Freshmen
>Meaning at most a second semester CS class
>Not reading K&R within the first year
Maybe you're just an idiot

that

what's your favorite anime?

get use to the smell of curry farts now, I went to the cafeteria and ate a pound of curry an hour ago, if you can handle the smell then drop the class

titan fall
whats yours?

this desu

First things first

>non-weebs

Drop out and teach yourself if you have the willpower. You'll save yourself a lot of time, effort, and money.

I just started watching that series and learning Lisp after years of C programming.
It's pretty enjoyable actually.

"Look to the student on your left.
Now look to the student on your right.
One of your will remain a lifelong NEET,
one of your will get his job stolen by pajeet.
One of you will make a great mother.
It's upto you to choose which one you want to be."