Monitor Thread

A thread to discuss monitors and monitor-related technology, plus give buying advice and feedback on monitor/monitor equipment you own or plan to own.

What does Sup Forums think of the ultrawide meme? Do you own one? Did any of you upgrade to an ultrawide monitor from a dual monitor setup? If so, would you still prefer to have another small monitor off to the side for docking off important apps while you are in fullscreen mode? I may get this ASUS monitor in pic, but I feel like I'll still wish I had a second screen for file explorer/browser/foobar/steam and or discord while I play games.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Designo-MX27AQ-Inches-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B00VRKVGSC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485683150&sr=8-3&keywords=asus 27 2560x1440
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hcnfD8
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YZn2FT/benq-monitor-gw2765ht
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236593R
lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=what is considered 2K resolution
amazon.com/Dell-Multi-Client-Monitor-P4317Q-DisplayPort/dp/B01FM3IPS8
amazon.com/LG-27UD68-P-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01CH9ZTI4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485719252&sr=1-4&keywords=4k monitor
amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B01G5JYMNA
amazon.com/AOC-AG271QX-Gaming-Monitor-144hz/dp/B01G5JYN0C/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1485719421&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=AOC Agon
tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm
testufo.com/#test=ghosting
tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-24gm77-gaming-monitor,4082-7.html
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFH194W/ref=twister_B01D1J1A2I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485724273&sr=1-3&keywords=monitor
display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LG_24GM77
prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-24gm77-b-teil7.html
samsung.com/uk/monitors/led-sf350/LS24F350FHUXEN/
samsung.com/it/consumer/it/monitor/led-monitor/LS24E370DL/EN
samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/led/samsung-24-curved-led-monitor-lc24f390fhnxza/
pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s27c750p/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Currently have the XB270HU from Acer. I want a similar 1440p monitor, although it doesn't need G-Sync or 144hz. All the other Acer models have been removed in this kind of category. Are there some around the corner?

Also, Dell vs Acer? If Dell were to release a non TN panel with G-Sync, 144hz in 27" i'd be hard pressed not to buy it, smaller bezels and better picture quality. Or am i retarded?

waiting for 4k 144 hz HDR 384 zone FALD monitor

Have the PG348Q myself, it's pretty fucking great. I still keep a 1080p IPS 27" second monitor to the side.

Are there no decent glass panels in existence other than iMac?

I fucking hate matte.

What do you use as a secondary monitor?

I also wish glass was more common without being more expensive solely because they would be very easy to clean.

Has anyone here had any experience with the Dell Ultrasharp range? U2412M, U2414H, U2417H etc.

I was thinkinh of getting one after being dissatisfied with the Asus VX239H.

they're great man, only monitor worth fucking with

Alright thanks, have you owned one of them? If so which model? I was leaning towards the U2414H as it's the cheapest here in NZ.

As someone who enjoy games, but isn't into fast paced competitive bullshit... what are some good options, I quite like dell, currently using a U2209 and would quite like something a bit more immersive.

What's your budget?

Utrameme is great. I have X34A and it's everything my old 27' IPS was, but better suited for vidya. Initially I was going to sell the second monitor but then I got addicted of 2560x1440 + 3440x1440 setup.

Considering getting this:
amazon.com/Designo-MX27AQ-Inches-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B00VRKVGSC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485683150&sr=8-3&keywords=asus 27 2560x1440

It's sexy, IPS and 2K which is perfect.
I don't want 4K.

Is that a good price for it?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hcnfD8

What's a good monitor for this build?

HARD MODE: In fucking Australia

1440p is not 2K you fucking retard

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YZn2FT/benq-monitor-gw2765ht

>U2414H

i've had four of these and returned them all. 3 had dead pixels and 1 had severe light bleed + dead pixels. cba with dell because they obviously use second rate panels in their affordable monitors

There are multiple definitions of 2k, and it depends on context (TVs or monitors). Regardless, 2560x1440 falls well above the minimum threshold to be considered 2k regardless of which definition you accept.

It got the defacto name 2k since it's obtained by doubling 1280x720 in both dimensions, while 4k is doubling 1920x1080 in both dimensions

Any idea when OLEDs will become cheap?

>>i.e.

How's the ViewSonic XG2401? I bought an Asus MG248Q the other day but noticed it had scanlines at 144Hz, which is apparently a common issue, so I returned it and saw that the XG2401 was on sale on Newegg.

>cba
what?

So now that Ultrasharps have become shit.

What should I buy instead if I want a good adjustable stand, decent controls, and plenty of ports?

2560x1440 is sometimes called "2.5k", never "2k".

The proper name is QHD.

"2k" is technically 2048 x 1080
But you can also call 1920x1080 "2k", if there aren't any aspies around.

They USED to be great.
But they have gone downhill recently.

Hey, so I'm considering getting a new monitor for work. Not gaming, but work. I'd like a near bezel-less monitor.

Do I go with the Dell Ultrasharp series?

>not 1.92k

Who else here fell for the Dell UltraSharp meme?

the anti glare coating is so fucking grainy that you can see it from across the room

can Sup Forums recomend me a monitor that is 2k and 120hz or more and wont break the bank

I own a LG34UC88.

Very satisfied. Use it for gaming and programming. Don't miss a second screen as this has enough space for what I do. Could always pop open the laptop if I need more.

I'm gonna upgrade from my 24" 1080p to a 27" 1440p soon. The pixel density on the 27" is going to be a bit higher but not too high. That's important for me because I don't believe in UI scaling (face it, it doesn't work on any OS excep Mac) but I also can't cope with smaller text due to my eyesight. My glasses can't fix it to 100% and small text is a no-go for me. I'm going to use my old 24" as a secondary monitor then.

What is the general opinion on viewsonic monitors?

Post a better monitor than Samsung CF791. Protip you can't.

Any monitor above 27 inches is shit for me

Have a U2715H and I love it, I want to get another, best monitor I have owned since my trinitron

Dell U3415W

how breakable is your bank? maybe you can snatch one of these used if you keep a look out:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236593R

Been having a shit time looking for a monitor.

I currently have limited space, so I'm trying to find a monitor (or TV if I find one) that I can use for both my PC and something like say an Xbox One, PS4 or Bluray player. If I can get at least one DVI and one HDMI port and something that I could plug my current external speakers into all somewhere between 24-26 inches. Everything I find is missing one of these components. If any anons know a good monitor that could meet these requirements that'd be swell.

Which TN is better Asus Swift or Acer predator?

Im still waiting for a screen with better image quality than my 10 years old CRT.

>U2414H

I have that one connected to a 1070 via DP. It's pretty good. I game a lot on it. Has very low input lag. TFT central measured it at 4ms which is stupid low, especially for an IPS

But why? If the pixel density is high enough (>100) a 32" is perfect for dektop use.

Anyone own the Samsung Quantum Dot monitors?

I'm waiting on the 27inch 1440p one.

>inb4 OLED

While I don't think Burn-in is a big problem (unless you leave your monitor without even a screensaver) its still expesnive

I just bought a PLS Monitor and the blacks are great

Is that a TN panel? If it's IPS it'll have the same panel as the Asus MG279Q I've ordered. How is the backlight bleed?

Also Acer are considered a bad monitor maker. Asus aren't much better. Dell are highly regarded.

>lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=what is considered 2K resolution
2560x1440 is in fact 2K.

Actually, "HDTV" is 720p, 1080p is "Full HD" or "FHD"

Dell is great, not sure about the newer Asus monitors.

In my Country Dell is a bit more expensive (specially the Ultrasharp ones) but LG and Samsungs are high tier as well

I would take Dell over Acer any day. When I think of Acer I don't necessarily think of a cutting edge name brand like with Dell, LG, HP, Asus, Samsung, etc.

1080p is basically 2K, it's a pointless descriptor.

I'm looking to buy a 27" 1440p monitor with great colors for less than $500. Currently using an Asus VG248 144hz and the colors look like ass. Any recommendations?

Any info on IIYAMA screens? Are they any good? I've seen a lot of enthusiastic reviews but I don't know if I can trust them.

Is this one any good?

amazon.com/Dell-Multi-Client-Monitor-P4317Q-DisplayPort/dp/B01FM3IPS8

Literally the only reason I went for an Asus is because there is only one panel out there that is:

>IPS
>1440p
>144 Hz

And there are only two implementations with FreeSync. One is an Asus and one is an Acer. Asus is the lesser of two evils. I don't expect any customer service from them though, but Amazon should take care of that.

If the multi screen feature is useful to you, it's ok. I'd still prefer 2 seperate screens over 4 emulated though

Alright, poorfag here, even for the cheapest 4k.

I would rather go with this
amazon.com/LG-27UD68-P-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01CH9ZTI4/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485719252&sr=1-4&keywords=4k monitor

I only have good experience with LG (They made the best TN panel I ever used, on pair with a cheaper LG IPS)

There is actually another option:

amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B01G5JYMNA

amazon.com/AOC-AG271QX-Gaming-Monitor-144hz/dp/B01G5JYN0C/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1485719421&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=AOC Agon

No. First one isn't FreeSync, second one is a TN panel.

Oh wow. I though they were the same only the adaptive refresh is different.

Then you went good with the Asus. Although Presonally the IPS response time is kinda bad for competive games, where the 144hz Usually shines.

But I guess for other games, it would work nicely

*Adaptive sync

Response times are great, check the TFTCentral review:

>tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

I got the 240hz BenQ XL2540. People who say it's not as big of a difference as 60 > 120 are memeing. This is outrageously smooth.

Only thing is that there's noticeable ghosting. When I scroll text I can notice it lightly ghosting, and the bottom UFO on testufo.com/#test=ghosting ghosts a fair bit.

AMA is set to high.

Set AMA to medium and check it again

That's not ghosting, it's inverse ghosting. If there are BenQ monitors out there where AMA High doesn't produce stupid amounts of inverse ghosting, I'm unaware of them.

You can attempt the "AMA low" (patent pending on Falkentyne's behalf) trick though and see if it works on the XL2540.

I've got Samsung's S27C750p which is an outstanding AMVA and a LG 24GM77. I've also got a bunch of old LCDs and a really good Philips 109P which is a fucking beast. I don't use it anymore though and I miss it dearly, even if I don't miss 4:3.

AOC has lots of models in that size and with all connection standards available, I suggest looking them up since they are both consistent with connection interfaces, low pricing, decent image quality (good for its price) and lots of options in terms of monitor specs.

Depends on model unit and how good you are at calibrating them.

I'd say both are equal but ASUS has more premium

There is no medium, only 'off, 'high' and 'premium'

I'm fine with it on high desu, this is just used for FPS and I never notice the ghosting except in text scrolling on web pages.

I can definitely say, by the way, that my 144hx xl2411z didn't ghost like this with AMA on high. I never noticed ghosting on that monitor.

Hmmm. there is a minor ghosting on my 144hz Monitor as well, and a slight overscan.

It kinda dissapears if I set the Response time from high to Medium.

Also it has a Lightboost clone which kills the ghosting. I heard BenQ High Refresh monitor has this feature as well...

I'm so confused with Response time and input lag.

tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-24gm77-gaming-monitor,4082-7.html

I have this monitor, and checked the results on the benq xl2730z on both Reviews, both shows different results.....

>FreeSync monitors look normal and classy
>Gsync monitors all look like they were made by ayyliens
>Nobody wants AMDshit

why must shit be so cruel

I'm currently rocking with an LG 24GM77. I usually using it in 144hz but it also has a Lightboost clone called Motion 240. (Pic related)

It says >1ms response time only avaible in Motion 240 mode (Which is only available in 100-120Hz)

If I mostly play Competive shooter (CS GO and Overmeme) which one should I choose?

Anyone got any experience with budget ultrawides?

I would like an ultra wide monitor, but I really don't care about high end features, as it wouldn't be for professional use.

Anyone got any experience with any budget ultrawides? Cheapest one I have seen was still £450, which is more than I want to spend.

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFH194W/ref=twister_B01D1J1A2I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would not recommend 34 inch at 1080p.

34 inch at 1440p are hella expensive

That is much more like my price range. Thanks for the pointer.

No prob man. What rig you got btw?

What's the most suitable sub $200 (USD) IPS for light gaming and general use? 1080p/60 fps and around 23" preferred.

Would be used for various things. Got a windows PC which is used exclusively for gaming, so is rarely set up at my desks. Also got an iMac and shitty laptop which is what I want the ultrawide for. Just more screen real estate for coding and shitposting.

What is your setup? You using Ultrawide?

amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485724273&sr=1-3&keywords=monitor

I have two of these. Fucking amazing for the price.

>Hmmm. there is a minor ghosting on my 144hz Monitor as well, and a slight overscan.

What do you mean "overscan"? Are you sure you don't mean scanlines?

>It kinda dissapears if I set the Response time from high to Medium.

24GM77 has a lot of overshoot on High, but medium is perfect. I do use High though because I like the kind of unnatural boldening effect the inverse ghosting causes in Overwatch. Makes things pop a bit.

>I'm so confused with Response time and input lag.

Don't be. "Input lag" is caused by the scaler, it's simply a flat lag in comparison to your actions. Response time is how fast it takes for a pixel to change color entirely. It varies depending on the shades it's transitioning between.

When calculating net input lag, some websites take inpug lag into account as well as the response time in attempts to present the full picture.

144hz with DAS. Motion 240 unfortunately causes unnecessary input lag:

display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LG_24GM77

If you're into strobing, you're better off with a BenQ monitor like the XL2430. The new XL2540 can strobe as well.

I've had a XL2430 for a while. I've used strobing on it (at 125hz because beyond that, there was just too much crosstalk even with a very aggressive VT tweak) but I realized I just prefer 144hz. It feels smother and the sacrifice in motion clarity in comparison to strobing doesn't really affect my gameplay in Overwatch. And really, Overwatch is a poster child for strobing because it's one of the most visually chaotic competitive games out there right now.

O shit. I meant Overshoot with Overscan. Sorry.

Thank you for clearing things up!

Just found another review with Input lag/Response time tests

prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-24gm77-b-teil7.html

Sadly nope, but I did a ton of research last year, but instead I went with a 144Hz panel.

Currently having 3 monitors (1 PLS with freesync, 1 IPS, 1 TN 144hz)
If you have an AMD gpu, you could also use the Freesync option. Most LG Ultrawide comes with Freesync.
Yeah I was just checking that site. I already using this monitor for a 6 months now, never really bothered about Motion 240 before thats why I asked

You don't need to worry about anything in regards to how fast your 24GM77. It's just as fast as any monitor using that panel (M240HW01) and there's fucking loads of them out there. XL2430, XL2411, XL2420G, VG248QE, XG2401 -- all same panel and they're all equally responsive. If you find one with this panel that's slower, somebody screwed something up.

And this is about as fast as it gets for LCDs, so don't worry.

Which model is the PLS one?

samsung.com/uk/monitors/led-sf350/LS24F350FHUXEN/

It was only 130 Euro, first I bought it to replace my IPS monitor for a freesync one, now I'm consider trying them out in an Eyefinity setup.

It was a nice suprised when I enabled Freesync, the refresh rate went up to 72hz. I OC'd to 75 (I like round numbers). While its nowhere smooth as a 120-144hz screen, its still an upgrade over 60hz.

I don't think this monitor is avaible in the US but..
samsung.com/it/consumer/it/monitor/led-monitor/LS24E370DL/EN Maybe this? Has Freesync and probably bumps up to 72hz as well

I am nvidia scum, but thank you for the info regardless!

This is the monitor I recommend nowadays for general/casual use (movies, browsing, single player gaming):

samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/led/samsung-24-curved-led-monitor-lc24f390fhnxza/

Looks better than any AH-IPS I've seen and you get your freesync. And it's cheap. The curve is cool and actually kind of useful in games (hard to explain, will elaborate if necessary) but it would be kind of annoying in Photoshop or CAD. But that's why I said general/casual use.

OLED WHEN?

Nah, currently both card makers a bit shitty.

Nvidia makes more polished products (altough Maxwell and anything before didn't aged well) but they became too much of a monopoly.

AMD on the other hand became really open-source, but they constantly fucking up their hype train, while the 480 is a solid choice over the 1060, we still know almost nothing about VEGA and its releases in

>Im pretty sure we got the same PLS panel type

The CF390 is a VA though, which is why I recommend it over IPS monitors.

I've got an older VA with appreciably better contrast than the new 3000:1 models, but they're nothing to sneer at either.

I don't really see a purpose for IPS monitors outside of photography / print prep work and anything else that demands strict color accuracy at wide enough viewing angles not to cause gamma/hue shift when viewed head-on.

>general use
>freesync
>curved

>general use
I don't mean military generals, I mean general use. Shitposting, youtube, fucking around with your Linux, watching movies, playing dumb games. You know, what people like you pretend their computer use doesn't revolve around.

>freesync

"FreeSync is the brand name for an adaptive synchronization technology for LCD displays that support a dynamic refresh rate aimed at reducing screen tearing."

>curved

How many curved monitors have you used?

Ah Never had a VA monitor before. My bad, should have read the specification.

I watch a lot of movies, and for that IPS/PLS monitors are great. (Fury Road & John Wick vibrant colors looks great)

The main disadvantage of curved monitors are their price, but his is relative cheap for a VA panel. Also literally every second monitor comes with Freesync so why the reaction?

Whats your Freesync range? 48-72?

I don't have a Freesync range because I don't own a Freesync monitor.

>I watch a lot of movies, and for that IPS/PLS monitors are great. (Fury Road & John Wick vibrant colors looks great)

Movies are where VA monitors shine the most because the deeper blacks and the corresponding higher contrast ratio (in comparison to TN and IPS/PLS/AHVA alternatives) make for an even more vibrant/punchy image.

The gamma shift makes off-axis viewing washed out though. I think the virtues of IPS monitors are exaggerated in this regard though because the image takes on a slightly dark cast when viewed from an angle. And if you're viewing dark content, there's the very obvious IPS glow.

Ah I thought you using the CF 390. What monitor you use?

Samsung's S27C750p. Older AMVA:

pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s27c750p/

Also LG's 24GM77 for multiplayer FPS.

Looks nice.

Currently I'm in Italy working for the winter with my PC+LG24GM77. I went home January for 5 days and bought the Samsung PLS panel. The third monitor I've been using is an LG one. I wanted to replace it because the blacks looked horrible. But when I hooked it up with a DVI-D connector (Had to use the HDMI one for the new Freesync PLS one) the blacks became a bit more deeper.

Do you have a minor side-bleed on your 24gm77? I have a bit but only noticable when the screen is full black

>The main disadvantage of curved monitors are their price, but his is relative cheap for a VA panel. Also literally every second monitor comes with Freesync so why the reaction?
No the main disadvantage is that they are shite.

>Citation needed
>Reason needed

>use hdmi for one monitor and display port for the other
>windows are always all moved to the main display on wake because windows can't into display port sleep

This is annoying

>Do you have a minor side-bleed on your 24gm77? I have a bit but only noticable when the screen is full black

Yes, of course. Some bleeding at the bottom and a big clouding stain on the right side. I've tried out three XL2430s and another 24GM77 before I settled on this one. I kept returning monitors because of a different problem (horizontal scanlines, long story). Anyway, all had either edge bleeding or clouding or both. There was one XL2430 which was almost perfect, but still slightly cloudy.

But really, in this regard, I've only seen three perfect LCDs in my entire life. Friend's P2414, another friend's VG248QE and my S27C750p. Everything else had a degree of bleeding. You can't go out there and expect no light bleed at all, you have to be extremely lucky to get something like that. Instead, you have to aim for acceptable rather than perfect.

With VAs this is much less of an issue because of how they work. Friend has a CF390 with a few spots of edge bleed. But they're only visible at extreme angles and completely invisible head-on, regardless of content or ambient light.