I need suggestions on a computer for an old man. It needs 2 disc drives cause he likes to burn CDs. Windows 10...

I need suggestions on a computer for an old man. It needs 2 disc drives cause he likes to burn CDs. Windows 10, and a decent processor so it doesn't run like shit. Budget of $1000. What do you guys suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4JVkzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/mGJcNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/8Lc8zM
pcpartpicker.com/product/wcH48d/sapphire-radeon-rx-460-4gb-nitro-video-card-11257-02
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy him a USB DVD-RW.

This.

Why, what case on earth doesnt have room for 2 DVD drives. He probably just wants the simplicity of having two drives to directly copy files between. It wouldn't cost much for the poor old dude.

Anyway OP, prebuilt i guess, right?

Yes prebuilt. Trying to keep it simple for him. He's 82.

just buy him an ipad and get him some streaming services

base Mac Mini

You'll probably have to add the extra optical drive yourself, so get something with a traditional sized desktop case that still has free bays (these are getting rare now)

Definitely get him a SSD so he's not stuck waiting 2 hours for Windows 10 to update.

It's just that for $1000 you could get some beast web browsing machine custom. Could you build for him or is that out of the question? I don't see why it would look any different to him.

I've never built one myself, but I'm sure I could with some YouTube tutorials. I just have no idea what parts to purchase.

The only reason i recommend it is because of the budget. You could buy him a ~$500 machine pre-built and it would probably be fine for him but that leaves you with $500 extra to spend.
Make another thread if this one dies with part requests specificly in mind, the Sup Forums part of this board seems to love making builds for other people.
I'd just get a decent one of the new AMD CPUs when they come out and throw a 1050 for video acceleration.
With a budget like that you can basically buy a $500 CPU which is kinda insane.

Thank you for the help, though I am pretty clueless when it comes to what parts to buy. I know what does what, but I have yet to put one of them together. Maybe start with cases?

I've never built anything with this high end components before but i threw this together. Keep in mind most of this has very little to no research and is just stuff i've picked up over time. And everything is going to change with the new AMD stuff when that comes.
pcpartpicker.com/list/4JVkzM
Make another thread asking about that list if you want, i would.

And i've just realised that has no DVD drive. See this is why i shouldnt be trusted.

What the fuck does he need a 6 core i7 for?

He doesn't, at all. I'm not the one wanting to spend $1000 on facebook. OP just get something for $500 from Dell, it'll be fine.

Buy a pre-built, select the option for an extra drive or maybe call/chat to see if you can get one then dump the rest of the budget into tech support contracts.

He has a $500 Dell atm, and it runs like a turd. He asked me to get him something that runs and was a "good" computer. So I'd rather get him something that will be valid for the next few years than have to upgrade in a week when it runs slowly. I don't mean any offense, I just don't want to end up spending more after buying and building it.

>Definitely get him a SSD so he's not stuck waiting 2 hours for Windows 10 to update
lol what
unless you're paying for prime high tranfer rate SDD, they arent much faster, they are just better with latency and have more constant transfer rate

but a windows install in the edge of an HDD will perform at half the rate of a cheap SDD (as in, the same price of the hdd, bit still 1/4 to 1/8 capacity)

the 1 hour update isn't bottlenecked by storage

For a budget like that, get him an XPS 8900.

6th gen i7, plenty of ram and storage. And it has a bay for a 2nd 5.25 drive

post specs

also:
pcpartpicker.com/list/mGJcNN

If you insist on Intel(tm) Inside(c):
pcpartpicker.com/list/8Lc8zM

If he needs a GPU:
pcpartpicker.com/product/wcH48d/sapphire-radeon-rx-460-4gb-nitro-video-card-11257-02