Reminder that if you're on the market for a used Thinkpad and you don't consider the thinkpad of Macbooks...

Reminder that if you're on the market for a used Thinkpad and you don't consider the thinkpad of Macbooks, you're doing it wrong.

Macbook Pro non-Retina mid-2012
>thick
>nice, high quality aluminium construction
>good battery life
>has proper Ethernet
>has USB 3.0
>magsafe >> any other power connector
>can upgrade ram
>can install second drive
>easy to repair (relatively)
>divine trackpad (said as a long-time trackpoint user, mind you)
>good keyboard
>display looks better
>can run Windows natively (and I guess Linux if you're into that)
>cheap enough nowadays

No other macbook is worth considering (expect maybe Air if you want an ultrabook), but this is.

>1280x800
lolno

1600x900 is a better resolution, but the viewing angles are worse. Also 16/10 aspect ratio is better on laptops.

yeah but 800p? i'd go for a late 2013 rMBP with 8gb ram and 256GB SSD as minimum.
Macbooks with 4gb of ram and 128 of storage are a scam.

I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with an i7 and I fucking love it. Just got an x230 tablet with an i7. Even with 16gb and an SSD in the Thinkpad, it just can't run with the mac. Battery life is fucking amazing in the Macbook Pro as well.

With the Retinas, you can't change the ram at all. And the late-2013 model even has a proprietary pcie ssd as far as I know. Nobody who's considering a Thinkpad would ever buy something like that.

The point of the mid-2012 non-retina is that you can buy it cheap and put in the ram and ssd you need.

how much are these? 13" and 15"

My 13", about two years old and in mint condition cost 500 eurobux

>"retina"

>buying a 5 year old laptop without a replaceable battery

They were in production up to late 2016.

at the cost of a shitty display

If you can get a 15 inch with the 1650 × 1050 than its decent. But 800p and 900p just look awful.

t. Owned a 15 inch 2012 MBP 900p non retina.

>800mhz piece of shit

dunno... looks fine to me

But then I've never used Retinas so maybe they're magical and I just don't know it

Try reading the OP next time

>t. mactoddler

I have a mbp older than this and it is still my only laptop. I have a recent desktop, but I only use the laptop for the web and typing at uni, so it is fine.

mhz piece of shit
And it's the only computing device that does it.

Burning your nuts you forget to put
Magsafe is annoying
60$ mer charger its sucks
So fragile charger

1280x800 at 13.3" is a fine resolution.

Diving in an apple related thread because fuck it.

If you are just in the market for a laptop with high build quality ad high portability, which of the following two options is better:

Current 13" Macbook Pro with touch bar
2015 15" Macbook Pro

Both have their pros and cons, both are within my budget, struggling to decide. Any current Macbook owners got any opinions on this?

>cheap enough
Thanks for putting a price tag on it.

Let's be fair, ain't nobody in their right mind buying a macbook new.

still far more expensive than a comparable thinkpad, Apple products hold their value unlike anything else

That's what I'm rocking. Good advice OP. Love mine, and it has plenty of life left.

Nothing wrong with the 2012 Macbook Pro if you find a good refurb/used at a good price. Problem is they're pricey as fuck. A T430 is usually much cheaper and the overall quality is nearly identical save for the aesthetic.

The display looks finer than any other ThinkPad shit, also 800p vs 900p isn't that big of a deal when the display itself is so much better.

>without a replaceable battery
Are you, sorry to say, retarded?

not that guy, but good luck trying to find a replacement that isnt a piece of shit. all of the 'genuine' ones you buy are $50 knockoffs that will last 1 month before not being able to hold a charge.

i have a 2011 mbp, my battery has 1100 cycles on it and now only lasts about 4 hours. i cant find a replacement for it that is even worth $50.

not to mention, my dedicated gpu is now failing so the thing will randomly hard lock up and then it wont turn on unless i let it sit for hours for the battery to drain, or take the bottom off and pull the plug to drain the cmos.

I get them directly from Apple. It's still a supported laptop. I have a few as backup if I need to change, usually once a year.

>2011 mbp
>my dedicated gpu is now failing
Found your problem. Also this thread is about the 2012 13" one, the 2011 13" one also didn't have GPU problems, because it lacked a dedicated GPU. It's your fault for being retarded, we are talking about a good laptop not "hurr Applel is great buy everything Applel, all their shit is gr8"

Well, if you're really going to cheap out on something you use daily and want to work, be reliable and fast, then I can't help you.

>A good laptop

It's one fucking year later you dip. And no, you are not getting them directly from Apple. If you are, you are just as retarded for paying whatever ridiculous price they are offering.

Nice try shill.

>It's just one year later, friend

They made it so good, the mid-2012 13" was only discontinued Oct 27, 2016. (I'm assuming that's what you were referring to)

Can I upgrade the RAM and replace the cells in the battery without needing to flash the BIOS?

No Mac has ever had a BIOS.

Okay, now answer the question

>I upgrade the RAM
Yes

>replace the cells in the battery
If you are savvy enough, the cells inside the battery are actually just flat cells that you can replace with chink ones.

>flash the BIOS
MacBooks like other Macs have EFI, something you can do without crippling the computer is to remove the Intel Management Engine without any ill effect.

Upgrading the ram is just like any pc

Changing the cells in the battery? No idea

It shouldn't need answering, but yes.

Can I do all this for 300 bucks USD

>but good luck trying to find a replacement that isnt a piece of shit.

>find a recent 2012 MBP 13" for cheap
>change the battery for the cheap chink one
>put it back on sale for slightly higher price
>it will sell anyways and you have almost a new battery
>profit

Seriously, nexto shit ThinkPad fags do, this is nothing.

Lets hope the thin meme dies and we can get decent laptops with integrated GPUs

see
But yes, my 2012 13" cost me 240€.