When will linux finally fix this?

When will linux finally fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-kde-opensuse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What does the kernel have to do with gtk file picker?

firefox doesn't support it

aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-kde-opensuse/

KDE is shit

hacks on top of more hacks.. the loonix way

Nice arguments there buddy

Which distro were you using when you ran into this problem? Yeah, thought so. Now stop posting it.

This type of image dispells all the freetard myths.

That with free software, things get patched quickly, or that with thousands of potential developers, features get added...

except they don't.

>run arch
>distro is so shitty you literally have to steal a web browser from openPEPE

literally all distros except for opensuse

You were literally using all the distros except OpenSUSE and they all had this problem? I have a hard time believing you. Name ONE distro which has this problem right now.

ubuntu
neon
debian
manjaro
mint
centos

All of them.

I use Ubuntu at home and I have used Debian and Manjaro. You are wrong. Try to install one in virtual machine and screenshot the issue.

I put Ubuntu on my dad's PC, and he likes it aside from this bullshit. I never thought it'd be an actual problem, and trying to explain that it's been a known issue since 2004 made me feel like a dickhead.

>not knowing your images by name
I don't understand why thumbnails in the file picker is a huge deal.

this is what thumbnail preview looks like. none of those distros can do this.

You can install the Opensuse patched Firefox in any of them if you wanted. Of the ones listed Manjaro should be able to simply install it from the AUR.

pls post a screenshot of thumbnails in the Firefox file picker in Ubuntu

>inb4 u can't

I see, looks like I wasn't talking about the same thing then.

In the OP image there's thumbnails missing in each image, replaced with a default image file logo. THAT has been working for a while. I'm at work so I can't screenshot but I found this image from the internet. I misunderstood the issue since I hardly even read the description there.

Yeah, let's just install at least 300MB of packages just to get basic functionality from a file picker. This is coming from someone a little organized despite having 50k+ of images on the main picture directory. It's unacceptable and worse part is that people have tried to fix the problem with their own code, but the devs refuse to merge it because of >standards.

>>not knowing your images by name
You clearly don't have that many images, don't you? There are also countless of screenshots, I can't remember every frame from every episode I've watched, I wouldn't be here if so.

Exactly. KDE has the functionality for the thumbnails, but I'm not a huge fan of the entire environment.

I never used to be, but after using Plasma 5 for half a year now, I don't think I can use anything else anymore.

Your fault for using a DE cucked by GTK. If you were using KDE or LXQt you wouldn't have to pull additional dependencies to get the file picker.

>your fault for linux software being shit

*GTK software being shit.

>If you were using KDE or LXQt
This is where it all falls apart. I don't care enough about the thumbnails to submit to those terrible DEs.

Keep crying for Red Hat to add thumbnails to their shitty file picker then (they won't) instead of pulling some dependencies or installing a better DE altogether and get your thumbnails immediately.

never. fixing it would be easy but no dev wants that feature so it will never be added.

sometimes it wont even show that preview image

Manjaro doesn't need to install it from the AUR, it has the firefox-kde in its repos

firefox-KDE isn't enough... it MUST be openSUSE KDE Firefox

I already fixed it. Before you ask, no I'm not releasing my fork, because I have the freedom not to release it.

The firefox-kde package in the Manjaro repos is the OpenSUSE version with a different name.

Imagine the shitshow that would be having to make all GPL'd code public.
There would be millions of public repositories of garbage that nobody would ever use spamming up github.
That being said I wouldn't be surprised if RMS Marx Stalin actually wants that

Nautilus and nemo have this so does caja. This meme is dead...

>Nautilus
I died a little. What a terrible file manager.

Do they really? I thought they had It's disappointing that this is even an issue.

>linux
Your issue is with Gnome's Nautilus. Learn what a desktop environment is and what other options are available to you.

Again, learn what a file manager and desktop environment do, and what your options are.

KDE has long had this fixed.

Unlike some dumber OS you can actually decide how large you want to see thumbnails ad hoc and use a detailed list view at the same time.

That's a file manager, not a file picker.

Okay I think I see what OP meant now, and why it's happening. It's not showing thumbnails because they haven't been generated yet. When I went to this backup folder and opened it, this fixed the issue.

Linux is a kernel, you dummy...

that is not "fixed"

The issue OP is talking about is NOT the little shitty thumbnails in gnome's file picker not showing.

The problem is that they are little and shitty. You cannot make out detail in an image, especially if two thumbnails are similar.

No, the hover preview is not a replacement for a proper thumbnail view.

Pic Related, proper thumbnail view.

this post should serve as a tl;dr for the thread

hahahahaahaha.. .where's the fucking thumbnails view, retard? do you even know what a thumbnails view looks like?

Of course he doesn't, he's never had that functionality

KDE has no problem with this, you got a slider on the upper right to scale the thumbnails smaller/larger and it works in all modes. List view, tiled, whatever.

It's obviously better if there is a large thumbnail view available but when combining filenames, the small thumbnail and the preview panel it's usually still pretty painless to find the right picture. Not defending the lack of it, but this might be why everyone doesn't even realize they're missing and don't immediately know what people are talking about.

this is a thumbnail view.

>Borders on thumbnails
wtf why

>combining filenames, the small thumbnail and the preview panel it's usually still pretty painless to find the right picture

the lengths people will go to to use free software never cease to amaze me

That's from OSX 10.7... it's way different now and looks much better. Sorry, that's all I could find though image search (don't have macOS machine here).

Maybe someone who has Sierra can post a recent pic of what Open File looks like now?

What? That was the default view which has been posted in this thread as well. You can see the filename, small thumbnail and the preview.

People that don't want to settle for the defaults can do something about it, unlike in other systems. You have to like the defaults because they aren't changing. This creates post-purchase rationalization that "I-I wanted it JUST like that anyway".

To be fair, Sup Forums filenames are awful for this sort of thing. And since the thumbnail for ants isn't enough to visually identify an image at a glance (the point of this thread), you're kind of left with just previewing every picture in a folder.

It's not exactly a secret that Firefox does not support the KDE file picker and explicitly uses the GTK file picker. Unless you have the SUSE patch that forces it to use KDE file picker, you are full of shit.

If only you plebs would actually vote for the firefox-kde-opensuse package in the AUR so we could get it in the official repos.

Well, if it isn't then it should've been quick and easy to fix, right?

Fickity-fuck, FUCK YOU!

this makes me think so much less of KDE

yaourt -S aurvote
aurvote --configure
aurvote -v firefox-kde-opensuse

/thread

>Gtk file picker
>Red Hat
u wat m8?

Guess who employs most gtk and gnome developers

Why this can't be an about:config option in upstream firefox is beyond me.

Never. GTK """developers""" won't learn UX studies. You can patch it or use be the part of KDE users.
Anyway it's a meme, so kys and sage

>having to study UX to know that thumbnails are useful

Some faggot have to between 2 hacking shitstorm.

Why are lintards so fucking stupid?

someone made a patch a while back

That's only for the GTK2 file picker.

and?

Most programs have moved on to using GTK3.

1. i haven't
2. the bug in OP's pic refers to gtk2

You can drag and drop from a file manager.
You can drag and drop to the default gtk file picker too.

Meanwhile, windows doesn't have that recently used list.

>i haven't
What programs are you using that use a file picker?

quite a few

I think I will finally bite into Linux meme. Which distro is optimal for a complete fucking beginner that also wants to start learning something?

I compiled Firefox with gtk2 yesterday.
Because gtk2 isn't a broken piece of shit.

install gentoo

Ebin

what are you implying?

Fedora maybe.
Don't touch anything debian related.
Any distro is fine if you're willing to learn lots, even arch or Gentoo.

Linux has live ISOs, you can try any without installing it.

Try Manjaro Xfce

can't u drag/drop files from to the browse upload box? ffs u spergz

That isn't the freetard myth. Even stallman agrees it may not be fixed faster or better.the myth u reference to is the open software myth.

Linux is a kernel and doens't have anything to do with a desktop environment.

Also, this is not a bug report but a feature request posted at the wrong place. It's not implemented because literally needs this. The only reason this autist posted the """bug'''''' report is because he actually just wants windows.

gtk is a gui toolkit, not a desktop environment

not to mention it's not even only available for linux

At least you have a choice. Distros with KDE exist, so use them.

>KDE

Not even once.

What? You also have the option of not having to use a distro with a working file picker and trying to remember file names. Your choice.

>file picker
>things that are important

Pick one.

>Needlessly complicating simple tasks while having the option of not doing so

>tfw can't use my /pepe database/ properly because of no thumbnails

>Bitching about a "missing'' ""feature'''' in a FOSS project instead of just building it your own.

>Don't touch anything debian related.
Don't listen to this faggot. Any *buntu is great for starters, maybe do it for a week and then move to Fedora or Debian Sid.