/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

postimg
warosu.org/g/thread/54609618
warosu.org/g/thread/S54060383
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Excessively excessive

That's the pinnacle of watchmaking right there, even if you don't like it anyway.

Should I finally pull the trigger for 60€ shipped? Or not worth it at all?

If you have a picture of your watch being worn from a straight on angle, please feel free to post it along with your wrist size, diameter of the watch and lug-to-lug of the watch. Because it comes up so frequently I'll try and compile a small collection of images of wrist-size and lug-to-lug length combinations that can be used for reference, rather than simply telling people that they should be looking at smaller watches.

If you're not sure how to measure your wrist, you can take a flexible tape measure, or just use a piece of string and wrap it around your wrist, then measure the length of the string required to circle your wrist.

Wrist size should be in inches, lug-to-lug and diameter should be in mm.

Thanks.

Example image of a straight on photo with measurements recorded.

At some point in the future you can expect a basic reference for watch sizing.

>Inches

That ""unit"" should be erased from existence and people even mentioning it should be physically punished desu.

Yea, 10 sounds like a good number when you're measuring your dick in centimeters

Butthurt desu.

Nice shape not a fan of the two tone bracelet
Is the calendar perpetual?

>this is now a AL&S thread

What do the different penises mean on king quartz seikos?
How does it affect them?

Considering investing in a diver but I'm a fuckin wristlet. Any recommendations?

What are some good quality watch boxes to buy?

I'm looking for a lightweight one that can house 6-8 watches. What watch box do you use?

Looking for a new piece,
>Canada
>under $500 budget
>field watch or pilot
>hacking
>handwinding
>mineral or sapphire crystal
>robust and durable
Want an upgrade to my pic Related.

Don't fucking invest in watches 99% will depreciate
A small diver could be the skx013

hamilton khaki

Was thinking about this.
I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical. Any thoughts?

>Upgrade
So another chronograph? Good mechanical chronographs under $500 are almost impossible to find, even used. I recently sold my 14 year old Fortis Flieger Chronograph for just under $600. Your best bet is vintage from a defunct brand like Even so, I doubt you'll be able to find one with all original parts, good cosmetic and mechanical condition, and keeping decent time for under $500

this, but it's 5x user's budget

Twin penis is twin quartz

hey do any of you guys own a demagnetizer?
or, can you recommend one?

Exceeding also the Henry Graves Supercomplication??

Gentle reminder ninefag is a retard impeding positive discussion with flawed ideas.

where can i buy some high tier replicas?

kys. that's where

OK, so what about non chronograph?

bump

Does anyone know if it will be difficult switching an 8215 to a NH35A/4R36?
I believe have sizes on the 82** series are 100/150/17
I think the 4R is 100/147?/20

I could be wrong. If anyone has done this, please let me know if it is possible. I know there is some flexibility in hand sizes.

Reminder you got btfo

check replica watch forums and read up

[muffled hardbass]

>technology board
>no one collects quartz watches

Can someone explain this? Mechanical watches just remind me of womens purses, in that you're paying for the brand name instead of quality.

Plenty of us have quartz watches, pay more attention

>instead of quality

You should tip your fedora while you say that. Mechanical watches will always be inferior in quality compared to quartz.

Since you are so big on quartz movements, you must have some really nice thermocompensated quartz watches with some actual horological value don't you?

Since you care about quality and all.

What website for great savings on respectable watches?

Quartz watches are difficult to repair. But I agree, some watch fans go overboard with their hatred of quartz.

Yes, there are plenty of good quartz watches out there, needless to say, like much of citizens technology, and hybrids like the GS. There are also alternatives like the Bulova Tuning fork and Precisionist line. But as user said, these are in the collections of many here regardless, including me.

Jomashop

Better than a 2000 dollar watch.

What does that mean

Does it know that February has 28 days, and 29 days once every four years? Or does it just do 31 days every month.

OK think it's a silly project but here you go. All images taken with Galaxy S7 at default/auto settings. Front-on from 7.5in and from 14in. Side-on pictures are in the order of the two pictures showing the collection. Wrist 6.25" around, 2.25" wide at widest point.
postimg org/gallery/1uuspj02m/ae0312a1/
Accurist Celestial 43.68x50.52x9.56
B&M 41.81x48.75x9.73
Bulova 34.68x40.03x12.83
L&H 42.07x48.51x15.73
Swatch 33.55x37.98x4.18
Bruno Sohnle 40.60x47.65x10.07
Seiko 5 37.14x42.64x10.67
Election vintage sub-second 35.61x43.45x10.20
Carnival 39.97x48.62x15.17 (with nato)
Orient Disk 41.29x47.44x11.64
Seiko 5S21 35.44x39.26x6.21
Aevig Huldra 41.42x46.05x12.54
Women's quartz 25.11x30.51x7.38
Longines 35.52x42.70x10.41
GS 40.18x48.51x12.77

>Checked how accurate my Explorer ii is after having it back for 2 days since the service on it.
>Off by only 1 second

FUG :DDDD

Besides Ebay what are some legit sites to buy J model Seiko?

Specifically looking into getting a J model Turtle.

There isn't any difference, why do you want a J model?

>Turtle.
are you talking about a real turtle or the new SRP777?
if you're talking about the new one stop calling it Turtle. it's not

>legit sites
i got mine from amazon, but it was just by chance. i didn't give a shit because there has been an ongoing shitstorm of K vs. J and nobody has come up with any type of evidence that one is better.
ones marked Japan are for the jap domestic market

I need one to go with my katana.

What's the best sub $1000 hand winder? I know it seems like a big variety but i don't see a lot of hand winders get attention other than the 1963.

creation watches I believe

>if you're talking about the new one stop calling it Turtle. it's not

Evening

>Keeping your watch on while defecating

You're quite the disgusting savage.

hey lawyerfag are you around and do you own an Accutron Spaceview?
i really want one, but i also wanted to hear some comments from owners
i see this as a bit of a novelty that i'd actually like to wear and put into rotation
any other owners please comment

also: what price should i expect to pay?

thinking about pic related from 1967

600 eDollars

>what price should i expect to pay?

Around $300, give or take.

the one in that pic is around $350 on ebay right now

here, it's really good. 300 sounds about right. Be careful with ones that have a chapter ring if you care about authenticity, since a lot of chapter rings are frankens.

Also keep in mind you should research places to get it serviced if it should need it.

Be sure to avoid mybob. That nigga doesn't have 25 years experience servicing any watch, let alone that much in just accutrons. He only managed to scratch up my kreisler coffin links and make my spaceview so inaccurate that it was gaining 6 seconds per minute.

There's watchmakeranon, who fixed mine, but I've no idea how busy he is/isn't. There's also Larry at palmer's jewelry in Indiana. He was the former service manager at bulova when they still serviced the 214 movements. Expect to pay around $300 for a service there.

Why would you send the bracelet?

To get it resized. Apparently to him resizing means "scratch the shit out of".

>itt men who *need* an effeminate accessory
>sweet, nice, sexy mens
>who need an effeminate accessory

Haay. Am I right in assuming that *most* male watch wearers are gay homosexuals and/or bisexualities?

Good day to all, and keep collecting!

>asserts that fags are effeminate
You obviously haven't been on /fit/

>when he is so poor he has to try this

thanks

looks sweet m8

Whats the deal with richard mille?

Proof that money doesn't buy taste. See also: Panera, Tag Huehue, DeWitt, etc.

uwu

That one is an exception. Most of the DeWitts I've seen are either huge, gaudy, or both.

>Strictly a limited & Numbered edition of 33 pieces world-wide.
The watch made it debut as the "Incognito" when DeWitt offered the watch for auction at a Charity event. The offer was for a watch in concept only without being presented & without the buyer knowing what he was buying. The wining bid was for 400,000 Euros.

Master troll

Just imagine the face of disappointment, wew.

post digital watches

Hey

How about jumping hour/retrograde minutes?

In case lawyeranon is around, what was the name of the jumping hour watch where the hour actually followed the minute hand around the dial? Can't for the life of me remember.

Are you talking about a wandering hour complication? Urwerk, Arnold & Son, plenty of others have it.

If I recall correctly there was an aperture that went around the dial with the minutes. It wasn't urwerk or arnold & son, at least.

I think you're talking about the Analogica.

I talked about a lot of wandering hour watches in this thread.

warosu.org/g/thread/54609618

d'oh

wrong thread

warosu.org/g/thread/S54060383

Yep, that's the one, thanks m8.

Anyone else /casioclub/ here?

Scratched it the other day, need to buff that out.

Yeah

S'up?
Yes, I own a Spaceview, cushion case, integrated bracelet, perfect condition, and it's a truly joy to wear.

First of all, it's not a novelty watch at all. It may look like this in pics and to someone only acustomed to solid dials, but the Spaceview lacks that cheap, funny, and even corny feeling most novelties have.

When you strap a Spaceview on your wrist it truly feels like the watch means business. The smoothness of the second hand going around the indexes is so sober and elegant it makes you wonder how did they ever dare to put it on anything other than a clean, simple dial. -It worked, though- And the humming is just a sweet deal closer.

Funny story: apparently, in the begining Accutron delivered their watches with no dial only to help the sellers show their customers how their promoted watches worked, they weren't even for sale. However, after the success and the unexpected demand, Accutron actually decided to send "conversion kits" to their representatives so they could give the watch this new technny look while the company prepared to launch their production pieces.

Today, some of this has been wrongly confused with modern made frankens, but this very few first are actually quite valuable.

That being said, it doesn't mean there aren't lots of other -badly- restored and modern frankens romming around, so please be careful, specially with chapter ring models, as some other user already pointed out.

Price? That solely depends on the condition but I'm sure less than 500 can get you a pretty decent wristbuddy to show off.

Couple more suggestions:
1.don't buy any that has a cracked crystal, because Accutron used to brand the plexi, almost never the plastic plate and it is really hard to properly replace. It's the same deal with the painted indexes.

2. try to buy one that doesn't show tarnish or rust on the two coils on top, as it is the weak spot in the movement and a decaying one will hurt how accurate it behaves.

>kinda?

yeah I'm bi

Where the fuck did my name went?
>fucking phone

My nigga

As NoBalls already explained, I think you're referring to Vincent Calabrase's Analogica. I remember Cartier toyed with the concept too.

couldn't digest it huh?

>stop calling it Turtle. It's not.

The old model isn't called turtle either you fucking turboautist

They do some amazing things with new materials and lightweight watches.
But they all look like absolute trash.

Morning, Sup Forums. Today is turtle day

What kind of strap would you put on a 62gs seiko? I'm bidding on a NOS piece right now, but if I'm interpreting the translation properly then there's no strap included.