What's the best desktop environment for linux?

What's the best desktop environment for linux?

Gnome

i3 is fine but KDE Neon is better
I still prefer i3

they're all bad
install macOS

openSUSE's customized, bloat-free KDE

MATE

Herbstluftwm

/thread

i3

Unity

Gnome if you want it to behave more like OSX, KDE if you want it to behave more like Windows.
XFCE/LXDE if you want a GUI but want it light.
i3 or dwm or cwm or 2bwm or literally whatever wm if you want a minimal wm.

Just pick anything, it doesn't matter.

GNOME is alright. Why would I seriously need any other DE?

xkfd

Emacs

Gnome
Kde
Cinnamon
Mate

And
Xfce

I like Gnome, but lately I've started to use Budgie more. It's really nice and clean looking, very snappy, and strikes a great balance between minimalistic and functional.

Gnome can be made to look nice, and is familiar if you're used to macOS. Not very good for productivity though.

XFCE is pretty good, but not very customizable. It's good for productivity, and you should install this if you want something that just works and is light weight.

If you care about customizing everything though, then try a window manager. I've used openbox and awesome also, and I like them both.
Awesome takes some getting used to and a lot more configuration, but the key bindings are pretty convenient.

Openbox

this.

Cinnamon or xfce if you need a DE. (protip: you don't)

sadly they're all shit
especially if you want to use custom themes

>customized
>bloat-free
nice oxymoron there

CDE

when will this ugly meme die

those bitmap icons look great

Anything but Gnome

long after the maggots have consumed your ugly corpse

haha are u trying for the edgelord award or something?

>ugly version of kde but without any of the benefits of kde.

nah i won that in my slam poetry class in college for my gender studies degree

>implying anyone is dumb enough to take such a degree.

Unity is actually pretty good.

I'm not sure why so many people complain about it, since it's pretty hassle-free.

It used to (I don't know if it still does) ship with amazon integration which collected your data and sent it to the third parties.

and inb4 you start sperging about how it's irrelevant, stop right there.
It is, and it's a perfectly valid reason to dislike unity

I guess. I just don't think it's a "one rotten apple spoils the barrel" kind of deal. It's a valid reason to dislike Unity, but it feels like one of the weakest reasons.

openbox and i3.

I've had nothing but good experiences with KDE.

How is "literally does what Microsoft and other boogeyman tech giants do" a weak reason?

You're grasping at straws here

>i3
>desktop environment

works out of the box, DE enough for me

I use both xfce and gnome on separate machines, there is no difference in productivity.
Gnome's defaults are stupid (window controls, dock/taskbar, etc) but it's easy to change those.
Xfce is very customizable, you can even swap out the window manager, the panel can be tweaked any which way.
It seems like you don't know what you're talking about.

I thought we were talking about functionality and ease of use in general.

Cinnamon

DEs are for children

Aero :/\)

i3

Qtile

w/e you want bruv

/Double thread. It may not be as flashy as other DEs bit it's stable, fast, and fucking werks.

Technically no DE here.

DWM
- Fibonacci & centered master patch

cinnamon

Vim

>Using anything without Wayland support
>Using xorg/server and having a completely insecure system

I thought people switched to GNU/Linux for security and privacy? If so why would you throw all of that away by using the completely vulnerable xserver? If you aren't using Wayland with SELinux/Apparmor you should really use Windows since it has sane security defaults.

I still waiting until Wayland becomes popular and everything will support it. This is really a future Linux deserves.
But until then I've to use Xorg.

>XFCE is pretty good, but not very customizable
Like the other user said, you're spewing bullshit.

>he says, with systemdicks far reaches running his entire system

Openbox because that's what I'm using right now

>vertical dock
docks are fine but there's no point in having it vertical, and it breaks with western reading habits (left - right)
>chicklet background
ornamental BS
>the lenses or whatever theyre called have huge text and icons
clunky as fuck
>failed app store
>failed music store
>all that energy wasted on mobile / tablet interfaces that virtually noone uses

ubuntu's strength was taking the debian/gnome basis and polishing it. they should have kept doing that. i'm not opposed to new features but introducing a wonky ass dock before the whole interface has been polished to the point where improving it becomes a matter of subjective taste should always go first.

really disappointed me when they went that direction.

that being said i find the global menu a good use of panel space and the feature that lets you search the menus of whatever application youre using is dope.

i3 is a game changer for me.

KDE

What did he mean by this

Lumina

Cinnamon with a custom theme.