LineageOS

Hi guys, I'm having a problem getting GApps to run on my S5 after installing LineageOS.

Versions used:
open_gapps-arm-7.1-nano-20170129.zip
lineage-14.1-20170125-nightly-klte-signed.zip

My Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F klte

Bit more description - When I flash LineageOS, Wipe cache & dalvik, and reboot, it works great, just without any of the Google services / Apps I need.

When I When I flash LineageOS, Wipe cache & dalvik, and reboot, flash GApps, Wipe cache & dalvik, and reboot, it crashes during the initial setup screen, usually around the WiFi part. Then it reboots and gets stuck again in an inifinite loop (I'm told it's not a bootloop though).

I've tried skipping the wipes, skipping the reboots, using different GApps versions, etc. Always the same result: Lineage runs great, but when I try to add the Google stuff it all crashes.
Anyone else having this problem or able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

>Samshit
O I am laffing

Don't install gapps, it's botnet.

This

I had this issue before, factory reset after flashing gapps

I would love to be able to use the phone without them, but I need various Apps that I can only seem to get through the Playstore. Even the Playstore won't run if I just download the APK.

Factory reset as in, wipe the cache & davik, or as in completely reflash the OS and continue without the GApps?

What specific apps do you need? The only thing I couldn't live without was maps

Get the pico package (the smallest), not the nano. Nano includes botnet.

Use Yalp Store to download APKs from Google Play. I think there's an xposed module (or maybe something else) that emulates Google Play Services in case you use apps that require it.

Would love to find out more about this incase of future difficulties. Good reading link on the subject?

Gmail, YouTube, Drive. I need Drive for work.

I have resolved the issue now thankfully. Someone on another forum mentioned there were known issues with the latest release of GApps 29/01/2017), so they linked me to the release from the 19th. Worked like a charm.

Is this another piece of software Sup Forums is shilling so they can feel like hackers by not using "mainstream" software?

Without using the word botnet, what advantages does this have over normal Android.

I kinda agree. Why escape the botnet and then put all your files on drive, locations in maps, searches in chrome etc etc. If you are ricing for the fun of then knock yourself out but if not, why go to the effort??

Factory reset as in flash rom, flash gapps, then start, then go back to twrp and do the factory reset option

Try wiping /system too to ensure a clean install

>>Gmail, YouTube
Switch mail providers. Quit watching youtube.
>I need Drive for work.
Then use it at work, on the PC your employer probably issued you. Hell, most employers issue laptops these days, if they expect employees to work away from their desks. No reason it needs to be on your personal device.

>Quit watching youtube.
Skytube works great, and you can subscribe to channels too

>When I flash LineageOS, Wipe cache & dalvik, and reboot, flash GApps
Read the instructions again and you'll see which step is out of order.

It was just because my phone was getting pretty sluggish. Time for a refresh just. It's the first version of the new branch off of Cyanogenmod, so I figured that would be a pretty good way to go. As for Botnet concerns; I don't even know if it's possible not to participate in the course of day-to-day life anymore, at least not without colossal effort. That said, if you have guides on how to configure Android & Apps for greater privacy, send them my way, I'm here to learn.

I work on my own computer. The office computer was a total potato. Company uses Gsuite, so GMail seemed like the best app for managing multiple Email addresses on a smartphone.

I'll have a look at Skytube. I mainly just like the YouTube app because it sends notifications for new videos from my subbed channels.

Browse jewtube at home. Use new pipline at work. Get f-Droid

>As for Botnet concerns; I don't even know if it's possible not to participate in the course of day-to-day life anymore, at least not without colossal effort.
It's not terribly hard to dump Google desu. It's just inconvenient, which is what they count on to keep people in.

If your workplace uses it, that's just an argument for what you should be doing anyway: not mixing work computing and personal computing.