> be me
> NOT be computer wiz/guru
> find out about webcam spying
> have laptop w/ built-in camera
Wat do?
Tried cam-driver ban in drivers.
What would user do?

tape over webcam

This has to be the single dumbest question I've read in a while.
If you don't want people to see you, then block the thing that they use to see you, like tape.

OP I bet you get online bullied too. Fuck you for being so dumb

not a mechanical engineering guru.
Something more software oriented but with tutorial?

Install OpenBSD. No webcam drivers.

>tape is mechanical engineering
you just went full retoid

If someone has access to your computer enough to turn on a webcam ad watch you, there are more dangerous things an attacker can do. Like installing keyloggers, tap your microphone, plant a rootkit and make you a botnet node.

BSD has no drivers!

maybe op is really shitty bait to try to "gotcha" anyone who'd suggest tape? for some dumb reason?? no clue

anyway tape is the way to go since it works and is shithead idiot simple (great for op). and with the camera and drivers intact, it'll make the light go on and alert you if some master hacker really does try to look at you using your laptop shirtless on the toilet

Is this a bait

Audibly laughed

okay then...
Was considering something more eye-friendly than yellow construction/duct tape, but I think ill get one of those black and cut a circel just as big as needed to cover the camera.

Anyway, software oriented solution would be more optimal than the sub-optimal tape.
I cant just wrap (no pun intended) my head around the tape.

Why exactly? Software is vulnerable to hacking (which someone would need to do already to gain control of your webcam), while there's really nothing they can do to remove the tape. If your laptop is black, black tape should be barely noticable anyways.

>make you a botnet node

O-oh user...

software fucks up all the time, drivers automatically reinstall themselves for no goddamn reason, fuck-with-you-ware might have generic drivers packed in

tape is unhackable. tape is strong. tape is forever

It be like - I dont like this particular rock in my garden.
Lets wrap that rock with tape so its not visible.

You need to block the mic as well.

Well, if you want to follow your stupid-ass rock analogy then disassemble your notebook and disconnect the cam altogether.

i think the #1 concern is having your unmentionables put up on imgur, less so the goddamn obnoxious sucking noise you do through your teeth getting recorded. serious privacy dorks should be going all out cutting the wires to their cam & mic

Talking directly to hardware on USB is insecure so it isn't allowed.

le BSDIDF is here!

/thread

in this analogy, the ugly rock is our collective anxiety about accidentally pressing the video button in a skype call with your pastor while hanging naked in a sex swing wearing nipple clamps and a gimp mask. yeah, tape is good enough for that