/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for the i3-6100 in any build; same performance, half the price.
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
>Outdated, does not including info about 200 series chipsets

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aj2o5xaJJoI
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=Jhyf7P
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&_nkw=i3 4330&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=i3 4330&LH_Complete=1&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC2.A0.H0.Xi3 6100.TRS0&_nkw=i3 6100&_sacat=0
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487114
youtube.com/watch?v=kYPrqbJAb8M
amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6/
amazon.com/dp/B01IAGSD68/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC24023
pcpartpicker.com/list/mmyvNN
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Quick_Silver_OC/29.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

>To install Win7 on a Kaby Lake system, use a board with a 100 series chipset that has been flashed with the Kaby Lake update. All the normal caveats for 100 series / Skylake Win7 installation apply.

>have 7.5 year old monitor and 3.5 year old monitor
>7.5 year old monitor croaks 2 days after 3.5 year old monitor starts acting up for the 4th time

Thankfully the 3.5 one always manages to fix itself after a few days, but damn I was starting to think the old Gateway 1680x1050 was gonna last forever. Poor thing.

Good build for 120hz gayming in cs ?
AMD Athlon X4 860K
XFX Radeon R7 360
Gigabyte A68H
Rosewill R363
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
120GB ADATA SP550
youtube.com/watch?v=aj2o5xaJJoI

How do I improve my computer if I have no desire to play games?

Should have got a 480 user!
Should have waited for vega user!
Should have _______ user!

Zen, look at all those threads/cores

Fortunately for you 1080p 60Hz monitors are $50 used.

I would say no.
Find a comparable G4560 build.
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=Jhyf7P

Don't you mean why instead of how?

people say that duel core is dog shit for vidya

>5GHz on air button
LITERALLY ANY COOLER

Con't from last thread
user thinks i3's will hold worth. So they are worth using for a new build instead of anything with more cores. As you'd be able to reclaim some cash from the secondhand market.
i3's are around $30 used(if they're selling at all). Fast forward a year do you really think you're going to be able to get anywhere near that?

to watch animu better

I don't think anyone is waiting for Vega except people who just really want a Team Red gfx card.

New i3-6100 owners got BTFO'd though.

At this point I'd wait for Ryzen if I were buying a new platform. Having said that, buying the G4560 and expecting a decently priced LGA1151 upgrade path is reasonable.

It's a 2c / 4t CPU, which is fine. The only ones you don't want are 2c / 2t, but even that would be fine for CSGO.

It's a fairly low wattage chip, retard. A cheap 212 EVO or Cryorg h7 will be fine

>$30
I don't know what the fuck you're smoking. A Haswell i3 4330 sells for $75 shipped, which makes fucking sense because the the $75 Pentium G4560 will currently beat it.
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&_nkw=i3 4330&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

So yes, any Kaby Lake i3 will hold 2/3s of its value. But if you buy the i3 7100 the used market may laugh at you and ask why you didn't get a G4560, which will hold most of its value.

not for light games like csgo, here's a more modern build,

I like working and tinkering with things.
It's already loli-sized with good storage potential and I'm thinking about throwing some Nocutas in there for absurdly silent animu watching conditions.

>$30
Here are the i3 6100s, going for an average of $95
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=i3 4330&LH_Complete=1&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC2.A0.H0.Xi3 6100.TRS0&_nkw=i3 6100&_sacat=0

The fuck. But there's brand new ones going for $100
Seems to be a mini stock market. Hope it crashes hard.

Eyo, need a cheap gpu. I don't do any intense gaming. ~$180. Canada.

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487114 was looking at this.

Odd question but I need velcro for desk cable management, anyone got a brand\link to one you reccommend

For 25CAD more you can get a GTX1050, which is far superior

>mini stock market
Something's clouding your judgement.

danke

I like the Monoprice "Hook & Loop Fastening Cable Ties". Don't be afraid to chop them up into shorter lengths if you need to. I got the 9-inch length.

gtx 1050, check it out.

720p? you must hate yourself

Happens often on ebay. People see a product they can snap up cheaply then jack the price.
Get a load of this guy. He thought there was profit in these until he figures that the figurine is worthless (time it'll take to flog off). Now he's pulling a lambo in my library tactic.
youtube.com/watch?v=kYPrqbJAb8M

>blah blah blah downloading upscaled rips is meaningless

That's definitely not what's happen to the CPU market. Anyone smart is trying to offload what they have.

amazon.com/dp/B001E1Y5O6/
These are pretty good

This is a very inefficient space heater

it doubles as a bitcoin miner

why the FUCK isn't there a mini-itx case with 2 low profile pci slots

Because low profile is dead. Just go for standard PCIe sized cards like everyone else, user.

but muh tiny pc

These days you can get neat tiny cases with full PCIe support. Nobody needs low profile anymore.

where the fuck do you even buy that

Their site says they'll start selling it in "early 2017" and even then only through two european stores.

so it's vaporware
nice meme

There's also tiny ITX cases with the same general design idea that aren't a complete meme like dancases

Any cheaper alternative to Samsung SSD 850
that's not significantly slower?

Best card for a system with 8gb ddr3 and a I5 4690?

And there's also more slim cases with a 90° PCIe bracket for your gay men

If the A4-SFX or Sentry was available to general consumers, I would abandon everything and start an ITX build.
Why are the "limited run" meme cases always the sexiest ones?

Rate my budget 1080p meme machine (prices in CAD)

quick, think of the best card you could ever ask for, there, chances are that's it.

amazon.com/dp/B01IAGSD68/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC24023

Slim ITX cases with GPU support have been around a long time, look harder
As for something similar to the dancase, I'd just say look for the smallest black box and what reviewers say it's competition is, the Ncase M1 I posted is a good place to start

General consumers don't really spend much over $70 to $150 on a case nowadays. As much I would like an ultra-premium aluminum case, I don't really see the point in spending that much on a case that doesn't have easy-access dust filters or easy expandability.

>buying a gpu with only one fan
>Deepcool GAMMAXX 400
>cooler not having an all copper covered base

you have shit tier taste in coolers user, and you stop.

Budget builds generally don't use K-series processors and Z-series chipsets. Unless you plan to overclock, go with a B-series chipset and a non-K processor.

Your SSD isn't available, and isn't added to the final price. You should avoid 120GB drives anyway, as 240GB are cheap enough to compete with them.
WD drives have some pretty appalling failure rates after three years of use. And you can get a 2TB drive for like $5-$10 more.

Stop paying for Windows. Instructions on pirating Windows 10 are literally on the installgentoo wiki.

If you're going with Z270, get 3000MHz RAM. The small to non-existent price difference is worth it.

Depends on your resolution / refresh rate. If 1080p 60Hz then 470/480/1060. CPU is still good.

Get a 240GB SSD

>not OC'ing my GPU
>it will get the job done for a while
>???

>Budget builds generally don't use K-series processors and Z-series chipsets. Unless you plan to overclock, go with a B-series chipset and a non-K processor.

It's a budget build in the sense that I want to future proof the CPU. Overclocking can overcome bottlenecks, hopefully lasting me for the next 5-7 years. Do you think I might be better served by an 7500? I play CPU intensive games rather than GPU intensive games. I wouldn't go for a huge overclock since I need this to last (probably aim for under 75c under load) so maybe I should save some money and go locked?

>Your SSD isn't available, and isn't added to the final price. You should avoid 120GB drives anyway, as 240GB are cheap enough to compete with them.
WD drives have some pretty appalling failure rates after three years of use. And you can get a 2TB drive for like $5-$10 more.

As for the SSD, yes it's available. Check newegg. The difference between a 120gb and 250gb is about 50CAD. That's a lot for me, but I am considering stepping it up. What alternative to WD do you recommend? My current rig has run a 500gb WD for 7 years, no issues so they're alright in my books.

>Stop paying for Windows. Instructions on pirating Windows 10 are literally on the installgentoo wiki.

I live in a police state and if I pirate Windows the gubmint might come get me. Maybe not. I'm mulling it over.

>If you're going with Z270, get 3000MHz RAM. The small to non-existent price difference is worth it.

CAS timings on 3000 RAM are usually 16, I can get 2400 dirty cheap with 14 CAS. I don't know if I want to fuss with RAM overclocking, it seems like a pain in the ass. I'll look into it though.

3000 is way better, and it's as easy as ticking one setting in BIOS

If you're actually intending to overclock, go with the K. There's just a lot of builds where people assume that the unlocked processors are the starting point and end up spending much more than they have to.

The best alternative to WD would be Hitachi. Ironically, Seagate is also pretty good as long as you stay below 3TB.
If you're trying to save money, go with either WD or Seagate, but know that you may have to replace it in a few years.

CAS timings don't mean as much as they used to with such high frequencies. You're going to see a much bigger performance increase with the frequency than the hit with two ticks in CAS.
With the Z270 boards, there's almost no overclocking to deal with. Just pop in a processor that supports XMP (the 7500k does this), and enable it in the BIOS.

Ten-four, i'll start looking for some cheap 3000. The only reason i'm going K is because this CPU needs to be top boss for the next 5 years at least. I can replace the GPU later but the CPU needs to last. Hitachi is way outside my price range, i'll have to take a chance on WD or Seagate, although I was under the impression that Seagate is worse than WD?

Seagate used to be worse than WD, but they really stepped up their game. I still wouldn't trust either brand with anything over 2TB though, the potential for failure is too high for me.

Kek

This is my first real build and i could really use some constructive criticism. please point out anything you see that is not compatible or will be a problem in the future. thank you so much.

PS: I already own the ram, power supply and graphics card from my original computer and i'm using them to make this new build

I only need 1TB. I have an external for extra storage if needed (doubt it). Assuming the Barracuda is fine, i'll just pick up one of them.

Is there any good z170/z270 motherboards under 150 usd? I want a simple and reliable board without all that flashy and glittery gaming bullshit.

Yeah, anything 2TB or below should be just fine for standard use.

Of course. You just need to look for them.

Anybody got experience OCing a 6600K on air to 4.5 on a Z170X UD3? How easy is it? Can it be done on stock voltage?

Check the pcbg partpicker in OP

It's fine, but I would sell the old RAM and get LGA1151 (Skylake or Kaby Lake)

Thanks friendo.

That's exactly what I have experience with.
It's easy.
1.32 volts.
It could run 4.3 at stock voltage though.

212 evo?

Also 1.320 I assume?

Whats even the performance difference between 4.3 and 4.5? IS the performance difference even worth it?

yes yes

why the ram is still perfectly good. is there something about ram i don't know about or are you just saying get faster ram?

It's significant. Not incredibly, but still significant.

It not breaking so I'm gonna say it's worth it, I don't know how big the difference is but at 4.5GHz I get a score of 748 on cinebench, which is awesome for a quad core with no hyperthreading (at stock clocks I think I got high 600's, maybe 680 or something).
It definitely feels a lot better than stock, and in some CPU-heavy games like BeamNG I got a 10-20fps increase

>still shilling Kelvin Lake
Intel must be paying good for your shitposts OP. Maybe i stop going to college and start shilling for them, too.

I'm saying get a modern platform. Don't limit yourself because you have $50 worth of RAM. You'll be able to use the DDR4 for a long time. May as well sell the DDR3 while you can

>Buy RX470
>Pleasantly surprised with performance for price
>Go watch some Youtube
>Think something went horribly wrong
>GPU totally silent
TIL that MSI RX470s can stream 4K on YouTube in a 0R-PM silent mode

Budget is $1500. My build is gaming at 1440p, I plan on overclocking. Still iffy on the motherboard. Any swaps suggested to lower the price while maintaining similar power or capacity?

if you can afford to, waaaaait.

After march and intel cuts prices, go ahead and do as you please.

This. Wait till the prices come down.

that pic

Alright, this is my first build.

I mostly play 4x game, like CIV VI and Stellaris. Might look into the next Mass Effect if it's any good. I'm planning on doing some OC somewhere down the line, so I'll probably buy a I5 7600k or the AMD equivalent at the end of march depending on stock availability and prices.
Planning on finding a 1080p 144hz monitor.
Should I buy a R9 Fury tri-x for 400$ cad or stick with a RX 480 for 300$.

>1440p gaming
>1080p monitor

Why the 480 over the R9?

Already ordered these parts quite a while back before kaby lake but no dosh to complete my build hopefully find a 1080 for around $500

So you where using integrated graphics or an old gpu?
>1000w
What where you planing with all that juice, SLI?

I've done a lot of fiddling with my parts list recently. Was wondering if I should go for a better motherboard?

May seem familiar:
pcpartpicker.com/list/mmyvNN

>fury tri-x
God they actually sell those things?
Avoid the fury at all costs. $400 isn't so bad though, you could take the $400 and use it to buy liquor so you can drown away the reality of now having a fury tri-x.
Oh wait, you actually have to PAY to get a fury? kek

Get the 480

The Fury is a 4K card. At 1080p the bus width etc is wasted. It's also an old gen and too hot
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Quick_Silver_OC/29.html
The 480 is plenty for 1080p

850w psu should do fine for sli?

Yeah I've had issues with SLI but I'm going to probably purchase another 1080 down the line anyway. Yeah 850 is more than enough but for this PSU I got it for a good price so why not get the extra wattage.

So if I managed to find a good priced used 1440p monitor, would it be worthwhile?

Do you have any sources talking about it running too hot? All the review I read only talked about how much it's eat up energy and is a bit on the noisy side depending on the luck of the draw.

"Hot" means that it eats 300W. But no, still not a good deal. Too little VRAM for 1440p. The only good 1440p card is the GTX1070

Alright, thank you.

Also there was a deal for a 480 for around $137 albeit with a rebate too so if you can find snag one for around that $150-160 that'll save you quite a bit but I wouldn't pay more than that.

I'm saving up to build a new computer since my current one is ~5 years old and has had multiple hardware failures. I know everything that I plan on getting except for the case. I was hoping Sup Forums would give me some recommendations.

Here's what I'm looking for.
-As dust/cat hair free as possible.
-As quiet as possible using multiple additional air fans.
-Mid to full tower.
-No doors/panels to move on the front to turn it on or to access the optical drive/front IO
-Has no tempered glass panel, those are a meme and just a gimmick to increase the price.
-Cable management is a plus but not required, I'll be getting a modular PSU.

I give zero shits about how it looks. I want a functional, quiet, cool machine. Thanks for any input.

Should I get two or three GTX 1080s for playing League of Legends on my 1440×900 TN monitor?

Neither. Get 4.

Three 1080s obviously so you can get that nice smooth 60 fps.

Wait for the gtx 1080 ti and get 3 of thoses

should i kill myself

He is from Canada, retard. The aftermarket 480 4GB isn't going to be that cheap, even considering exchange rates

"Also" don't pretend to be me

Yep