1994, slackware has a graphical installer

>1994, slackware has a graphical installer
>2017, arch and gentoo don't have an installer
nice progress freetards

Arch actually had one but the devs forgot about it until it broke and then just decided no one needed it

low quality bait m8

In terms of making it accessible, its a step backwards, but that's not the point

this is so beautiful, seriously today's distro are a joke.

>arch and gentoo
you know how every nerd has a "linux phase" and some autists just never grow out of it.

that's what gentoo and arch are for. they're meme distros.

Well those meme distros are the reason I'm making salary instead of couch surfing

How

After tinkering around with minimalist distros and configuring all the things, I eventually applied for and received a job as a unix system admin (really just Oracle Enterprise Linux, but whatever). This was my first computer related job. Before that my highest paying job was weighing ingredients at an ink factory. Fast forward some time and now I am a software engineer. Part of how I managed to get the interview to land my first job withiin the company I work at right now, was by passing a Linux test with 98% at a rate of over 1 question per minute.

Archboot

This, also count Debian into this category.
At best some dull admin job... seemed about right.

>by passing a Linux test
was it basically a CompTIA+ Linux Exam or the company's own test?

because i've been thinking about getting a CompTIA+ certification before looking for work dealing with linux and was wondering if the certification would help me at all or not

Isn't the installer written in shellscript? How hard would be to port the installer to other distros?

Well that's not the point of Arch and gentoo. Waste of a thread just like the people still complaining about windows 10

Do you even like those colours?

It was just some random test owned by the recruiting agency who got me the interview.

It's nice that the distro got you the job back in the day but now there really isn't a need for admins since enterprise hosting is $5 a month so this is no longer anyone's responsibility.

the term unix admin or linux admin is obsolete and not required anymore, except with companies still stuck in the 90s and have not yet moved on. similar to companies requiring bookkeeper because they are still using paper.

This is like repairmen being phased out when a company actually makes a proper product that doesn't break

tell me, what exactly is it that you think a linux sysadmin actually does? Most likely you are simply confused.

that would be, jerk off and waste the company's money until they figure out they can get an entire company working on it for them 24/7 for 1/10,000th of the price, and then kill themselves

>but I get paid $xK at this company stuck in the past!

Don't even bother dude. CompTIA+ courses are stupid and numbing.

Source: 4 years taking courses.

I'm an 18 year old American. I have a high school diploma, decent 'customer service' experience working as a bagger at a grocery store, and contrary to your average Sup Forumsentooman, I'm great with people.

I've been using Linux almost exclusively for the past six years, and I'm comfortable with Java, Python, Ruby, and shell scripting. I don't have a Github portfolio or anything major, just a comfortable understanding of the languages and a few personal projects and scripts over the years.

What chance do I have at landing a helpdesk, or any beginner IT gig? What certs do I need to get? I'm thinking I need my A+ and MTA, but I don't know what else would sweeten my resume for a helpdesk gig.

Pic unrelated.

If you know programming you don't want to land at helpdesk.Any pajeet can land at helpdesk, a high school diploma is more than enough for it.

Does enterprise hosting magically hosts itself without admins?

THIS.All these "hurr durr admins dead companies take care" but they forget the companies taking care of it are paying someone to take care of it.

No. They are responsible for figuring out virtually anything that requires interacting with Linux and automating as much of their own job as is possible. However, no matter how much you automate, A: someone still needs to manage puppet configs, B: There are always tasks which cannot be automated

Gentoo had one but it had so little interest that they stopped maintaining it.