codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/user/pen/EZQWYo
gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details
jsfiddle.net/ozwr99sq/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=3JluqTojuME&index=1&list=PLoYCgNOIyGAB_8_iq1cL8MVeun7cB6eNc
lowendbox.com/.
ladys.com.ar/
oldblog.antirez.com/post/redis-memcached-benchmark.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dear web people,

i am currently trying to get a certain table layout to work.
i NEED my code to be semantically correct, but i also NEED a specific design.

i want to display a table that has the following headers and respective contents: name, address, mail, phone AND items.
every cell is a link that will be styled to display:block. the link MUST "stretch", the whole cell HAS to be clickable.

the items-column MAY contain several infos for each row, these are generated dynamically.
they also HAVE to be style as a block.

however, i cannot specify any widths or heights to absolute numbers.

what i did so far

table { width:100%; }
a { display:block; padding:1em; }

name
address
mail
phone
items

Adolf
Deutsches Reich
[email protected]

Reichskanzler
Fuehrer

Oppenheimer
Los Alamos
[email protected]
800-GET-A-NUKE

Hiroshima
Nagasaki

the problem is that links within ul li, as they are styled as block, will trigger a linebreak.
how can i stretch the single links within td? actually: how i can i stretch the clickable background of the links?

i dont want to use rowspan as that would mean counting each li, adding trs and then the rowspan attribute to the cells.
i really don't like that solution and i think that it is wrong as the items in the list are very closely related to the row they are in.

is there any JS free solution?
am i blind? is this easy?
should i us a different markup as this is semantically incorrect?
maybe nested lists?

I just woke up and your question is too long.

We generally have a short attention-span here. Post a codepen, simplify, and I'll look at it.

Tips to increase ad visibility?

>how can i stretch the single links within td?
li {display: inline-block; white-space: nowrap}
>how i can i stretch the clickable background of the links?
padding

codepen.io/user/pen/EZQWYo

i actually made something work - in ff - but not in chromium

>display:inline-block;white-space: nowrap

nope, the li should display in seperate rows, i want them to wrap

kek'd
get off my lawn

Add this to the general:
2017 Front End Developer Handbook (free)
gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook-2017/details

no point in doing that. google would ban you cause too many false clicks

how did you guis get into web developing?
I really wanna but I feel like there is too much stuff too learn...

I have a question about Redux.

I am using react-native-drawer to create a Drawer component (menu on the side). I want it to open when a user presses a button in a sub-component.

Right now I'm using Redux to change the value of a isMenuOpen variable in the state. And then checking that variable in the component's props:

The problem is that it doesn't animate opening it. I suspect it's because I need to call drawer.open() like it says to in the docs.

How do I call this function through Redux?

web development is the final hacking

lots of hipsters try to shove their fugly UX in your face with the help of technology that was created over 25 years ago with the exact opposite in mind: let the user client handle the interface.

everybody wants to make their design work, but they don't work on all devices, on all browsers. that is why you need this so-called
>too much stuff

everyday usable webpages turn into html5 monsters that ironically use JS on desktop browsers to make a page look like it should look on mobiles, which itself actually creep under the heavy load of JS processing just because some stinker wants a fucking hamburger menu.

and still, even with the modern revision of html, you will bugs like :
looks like this in one browser, like that in the other, is completly unusable and broken in a third browser.

the solution? more JS frameworks. fuck it, just at them all, one will magically work.

see this a fucking stinker wants a fucking menu and his fucking framework does not work.

noob question here

how do I align right in Bootstrap?
I have a navbar.

Do I define the as a container and split it into columns? I'm not sure I understand the whole column split thing.

What's the advantage of using a getter rather than a function in Javascript?

The MDN example is.
var obj = {
log: ['test'],
get latest () {
if (this.log.length == 0) return undefined;
return this.log[this.log.length - 1];
}
}
console.log(obj.latest); // Will return "test".

Other than not having to call latest() is there any reason to do it that way rather than the following way?

var obj = {
log: ['test'],
latest:function latest () {
if (this.log.length == 0) return undefined;
return this.log[this.log.length - 1];
}
}
console.log(obj.latest()); // Will return "test".

why isnt my box on top appearing?

#box{width: auto; height: 100px; backgound: linear-gradient(blue,white)}

c{font-size: 70px; color: red; font-weight: bold}

My page

Welcome to my page

not sure, worked for me

jsfiddle.net/ozwr99sq/1/

alright professor couldnt figure it out either. Gues it's this shity conmputer? Cuz not working on any browsers

>
i've been a web dev for years but never heard of this c tag

lol oh you spelled background wrong

wait hold on are you trying to create your own tag?

fuck. Thank you

What's the difference between using and for CSS?
The material I'm reading introduced CSS using , but now is saying to apply it to a document you need you declare it in the head with ?

You put your css between style tags like this:

div {
font-size: 70px;
color: red;
font-weight: bold
}

You use link to use an external style sheet, that is, a style sheet stored in its own file.

The advantage of using link is that you don't have to copy your css into every single one of your files, and in case you want to change it, you can just change the contents of your .css file, instead of having to update every single html file with tags in it.

So to apply specific style to a particular document, use
and to apply the same style to the entire site use ?

Yes, exactly, but of course if you want to apply it to your entire site, you have to your .css file in every one of your html files.

Okay, thanks!

What's a good a host for making a shitty site to show off to employers?

Just starting here. Should I go through these series of videos as a beginner, or start elsewhere?

youtube.com/watch?v=3JluqTojuME&index=1&list=PLoYCgNOIyGAB_8_iq1cL8MVeun7cB6eNc

do floating ads on the side of the screen (can be closed)
fixed on the bottom of screen and slides up (can slide down on click)
put an horizontal banner besides the logo
boxed-type on the sidebar
and do a modal-type ad on the bottom of the content

dont push for ad visibility especially above the fold because google will penalize you for it.

>looking at windows 98 styled website
>2000+ line css
wew lads wish me luck

I use linode

Dynamic? Buy an el cheapo VPS at lowendbox.com/.
Static? GitHub.

What's the best way to cache data and then be able to read and write to it frequently? Need to persist large API calls on backend while sending realtime data to client...and using that realtime data to update the cached stuff in the backend

im new to devv'ing so forgive me but why not just use a database?

I'm just now learning about EL in jsps because I'm a mongoloid. What's a good resource to learn about this shit?

Shit looks like 2000hrs long, is it any good? Aspiring web dev here with almost no background besides very basic JavaScript

Just started on jQuery myself. It's been fine so far, though a bit "hand holdy"

You won't know until you try it tho, so fucking do it already.

How does it compare to paid courses like udemy, teamtreehouse etcetera?

never tried them. freecodecamp seems to be fine for web development so far though. someone with more experience will prove me wrong though.

Been thinking about it but Firebase is expensive and I don't know that Rethinkdb fits the usecase well.
My team is thinking of using Redis but I don't know if it can handle the frequent read and writes.
Highest amount of data we're imagining right now is 10-20 messages per second, per client

How the fuck do I add ckeditor to a MEAN stack app.
I don't want to just do a script include from their website, I want it hosted on my server. Because image uploads don't work otherwise.
i know it can be done, I've seen others do it...but after 5 hours of shouting I still can't fucking do it.

haha I was coming here after pulling my hair out about why the most simplest shit in socket.io won't work with my flask app.
I've seen every other tutorial and guide do it but fuck me.
Man, is all webdev this painful and slow?
Glad I'm not alone.

>kek'd out loud

>MEAN stack

you mean the MEME stack?

is it the front end or back end that tells the browser what to do for each url like /something, /lol, /ayy, /lmao, etc?

Redis

backend gets user request or post and then from there sends back the correct page.

so why does react and angular have routing then? thats front end

Honestly couldn't tell you. Never used either one.
It could be similar to forms where you give an action of where you basically want the data to be sent.

Take my words with a grain of salt though.

can someone please, test my site?

ladys.com.ar/

nice. what did you use? the only thing i can think of is making the transitions/fades faster

Javascript (just basic scripts that hide or show a div), bootstrap and animated.css! thanks haha, i thought the same.

I really hate full screen videos. Kinda distracting. Just make the logo stand out because when I got into the site, I wanted to watch the video rather than see what you have on that site. Just my say.

In JavaScript, what's the best way to run a sequential loop with asynchronous function calls in it?

Any good hosting providers apart from namecheap?

Promises ?

Digital Ocean. Namecheap & GoDaddy are only good for domain registrars.

do anything, look at everything, finish any video series, then look for another, or look for books or tutorial sites, after a short while things will repeat themselves and you start getting the bigger picture and then it gets easier because you stop questioning if the particular tutorial youre following at the moment is the best for you at this exact moment.

hej ale to je dobré :DD

How would someone still make the loop synchronous, so that it waits till the async task finishes before continuing?

I'm really just trying to prevent 1000 async tasks from happening at once.

for {
downloadFile(file[i]).then(processFile).then(addToDb).then(logResults)
}

>ladys.com.ar/
weird green background when video doesn't cover the whole screen

The video does actually cover the whole screen, you can see it behind the green thing, btw, I have that too in my browser (chrome 56 on linux).

You should make the text of the links and other shit unselectable.

Using Cheerio I want to get links on a page that has a date in the link name (eg: 2016-02-01). How do I do this? Do I have to use regex or does Cheerio have some function for this?

I'd just loop through every a link and check against the attribute if it matches regex for a date

>You should make the text of the links and other shit unselectable.
why should he do that ?

Basically, if something functions as a button, it shouldn't be selectable, because if it's selectable, it will be selected accidentally, and that looks ugly. And it's not like anyone would ever like to copy the text of a button, so you're not losing any functionality. To be clear, I wasn't talking about actaul text, just the images and the "buttons".

GET TO WORK NOW BAKA!!

I'm not a web developer but I thought this thread would be the best to ask in. Is "cc-web" a real web server or is it another web server spoofing its name? I've seen some pages identify themselves as that but no amount of google search can find a page for it.

I tried googling too, couldn't find anything. Could you link one of the websites here?

I don't know what to do with my life I need your help guys
Can I learn by my self web development and earn a living with it?
or I will be forever poor?
I don't know nothing about computers :(
html5?

you can learn by yourself skills that'll make you employable, make some demos to prove you're not a pajeet and get employed

I think it's definitely one of the easier skills to self learn, my mate basically self learned most of the web shit he knows, although he started by going to a short web-dev course. Html 5 is just the latest version of the html standard, it's not black magic.

I fear that later I will not be able to find a job after the efort of learning web development, am I wrong?

I don't know, since I haven't been employed yet, but you can definitely benefit from learning a skill now later down the line, like in 5-10 years, and you seem dissatisfied with your current job. So the real question isn't if you should learn webdev, but what you should learn, if not web development.

The only thing that I know that I can learn online by myself from the internet and free that COULD give me a job in the future is web development, I don't know other thing available

I will be waiting for advices

>freelancing
>day trading
>adult cam
>search engine evaluation
>captcha solving
All of those are legal and you can do 100% on the internet.

Noobie here.

A person is asking me to build a website for him.
I already found a nice bootstrap theme to modify and such and he seems happy with the work so far.

Still, I don't know if I'm missing something, nor what kind of hosting or webserver I should use.

Keep in mind that the website is a blog and he wants to expand it in the future with a forum or something similar.

Any tips?

make sure there is some sort of CMS behind it so he can do updates himself, something like wordpress

unless you aren't bothered that he'll bug you for the next 5 years to change shit for him

Should I write one myself or is there something free online I can use with Bootstrap?

i haven't used bootstrap in a few years so i don't know if they added anything
i actually only just started back getting into webdev today, but i always heard that writing your own CMS is kinda hard, but if you feel confident about it sure

i think the easiest way to do things is probably use Wordpress and then find a theme that suits your needs

Can someone knowledgable tell me what's wrong with the following query?

$query2 = $db->prepare('SELECT * FROM numbers LIMIT :offset, :rowsperpage');
$query2->bindParam(':offset', $offset);
$query2->bindParam(':rowsperpage', $rowsperpage);
$query2->execute();

>10-20 messages per second, per client
websocket mate

whats the error

Yeah just looked into it, definitely not going to build a CMS from scratch. Might use something like CouchCMS or Wordpress if he's down to paying a monthly subscription.

Thanks for your help.

dude no need to pay monthly subscription for wordpress
just take flat fee for setting the site up and customizing it for him, let him pay for hosting
then take additional money everytime he wants you to install new stuff or make updates but otherwise he's good to go

Well I misread on the Wordpress site, thought I had to pay to use it but I can just download the whole thing and use it however I want.
Thanks again, sounds like a good idea.

ye just install it on your local dev machine and fuck around with it

anyone had a problem, that your server just stopped giving you access to it ?
i have a git repo on my server and when i tried to fetch it just stopped and no response, then i tried to ssh and it gave me message "permisssion denied", then i went on my VPS provider site and log in as a root from their browser bash and it all worked, purged openssh and installed again, now it's working...
anyone got any idea why this happened ?

are you fetching the data...? this won't do anything by itself

any decent books out there for front end web design?

which text editor do you guys use

VS Code, GNU Nano

Your case sounds like what Memcached and Redis were built for, as long as you don't need to persist the data do disk. They're both fast to read _and_ write. If you go looking for benchmarks, though, keep this in: oldblog.antirez.com/post/redis-memcached-benchmark.html.

As for RethinkDB, you should ask their forum.

Sublime Text, Vim

>freelancing
Doing web development is it posible?
>day trading
I need minimum a year of salary to be able to do this and it is impossible to beat the market
>adult cam
Discarted
>search engine evaluation
I dont know what it is I will do a research thanks
>captcha solving
I dont know what it is I will do a research thanks

And I can earn a living doing any of these?

Hο

geany

Using Spring. I have a rest controller. I have several required params for one method, and would like to accept an arbitrary number of params besides those.

Is there an easy way to do this? I tried just listing the @RequestParams that I required, and then at the end having a @RequestParams Map (a catch-all map that takes arbitrary params), but the map contained all params, even the ones I listed explicitly.

If you know what parameters to expect you can mark them as optional with java8 syntax like so
@RequestParam("name") Optional username,

If parameters are unknown just put everything into a map and process everything from there