Hey /g

hey /g
Finished building my budget build with a £40 WD 7200rpm 1 TB
I decided to test which boots faster my new pc or my 2 month old thinkpad w/ 238gb sata 3 SSD
My HDD wins by around 3 seconds every time

How?

Mostly the bios/firmware I'd guess.

are you saying my thinkpad default bios config isn't optimised well?

What OS?

Possibly. Also possible that BIOSes from different manufacturers just wait different times for hardware detection etc.

first off give us the actual numbers for each boot time
second off what are you actually considering having it boot

New desktop boots faster than used laptop.
EXPLAIN DIS G

What model thinkpad?
What OS(s)?
What is your timing method?
Is this a troll thread?

both windows 10
well until I am able to login, its around 6 seconds for my pc and laptop around 8. Ill get the exact number now..
like I said, the laptop is a couple of months old it barely has anything on it

x260 11 inch 2016

Both systems have no apps to launch at boots time
Both tests are from complete shutdown untill login window appears

Thinkpad averages out at around 16seconds
PC averages out at around 16 too (my bad)

Both using a stopwatch

But surely the ssd should be at least twice as fast at least??

Having an SSD wouldn't shorten the BIOS startup/hardware detection very much, if at all, I don't think.

And windows explicitly optimises disk layout so things that are needed on boot are positioned contiguously. That being the case, booting is probably about the best possible case for the mechanical drive.

Not if the thinkpad's BIOS and startup operations take longer, which they would since it has to verify each piece of hardware on the board.

>Both tests are from complete shutdown untill login window appears

Wrong. I measure boot times from when the manufactures logo disappears from the screen (indicating POST complete and OS load commence), thus ruling out BIOS delays. They are worth taking into consideration, but not when you are testing the performance of your storage by using OS load time as your metric.

Try this instead.

And a desktop mainboard doesn't need to check each component on POST..?

Also, OP, check if your desktop/laptop have fast boot enabled, this will fuck with your POST times as well (if your thinkpad is doing a complete memory test as opposed to just polling whats there, like your desktop might be doing)

yep checked both devices and fast boot is enabled on both of them

God damn it, lurk more faggot.

Also, are you ChinkPad fags proud you have such tech illiterate faggots in your ranks?

A wild neck beard has appeared
well.. tell me then?

Windows boot time degrades trough time. Time 1 month and you will have the "hanging on" cursor for 10 minutes after you booted up your system.

Over time loading services and other 3rd party software, at startup, becomes longer and longer. And it has nothing to do with fragmentation or whatever (like automatic updates running at startup).

>everybody who has more common sense and knowledge then me is a neckbeard

Please tell me this is a bait thread.

Windows is using hybrid shutdown with the HDD
User problem.