Debian or Arch?

Debian or Arch?

Arch

Debian

Neither, Ubuntu is your only choice

Arch!

Upvoted!

Debian for server, Arch for desktop

What about Debian for server and for desktop?

Debian works great and shit never breaks. Arch you get the new stuff immediately but if it breaks you could be screwed.

That said, nothing has ever broken for me on arch before even with almost 200 aurshit packages.

They're both great, and debian is more friendly to beginners and people who can't fix x.org or whatever if it breaks

Debian

Lucky you. For me updating Arch always ends up in broken shit. Not like not-being-able-to-boot broken desu, but still.

Debian.
Install Arch only if you want to have a thrilling experience everytime you update.

actually I guess openvpn did break once but I'm in the arch-announce mailing list so I got an email warning me that they were changing their systemd services style so I knew exactly what to change to fix it

debian would boot to a black screen until i figured out i had to append nomodeset to kernel options for some reason

also packages years out of date even on SID

You need to jump into a blackhole.

False, Sid gets packages before Arch sometimes

Ubanto

Slackware.

not him, but see I think this is exactly the kind of thing that a distro should handle for me. I don't want to have to fix anything. I want the distro to not push out an update until it doesn't need me to manually fix anything.

Also I can count on one hand the number of packages where I actually care about running the latest version. For 99% of them I'll never know the difference, and I bet you wouldn't either, if you ignored the package manager reporting updates. For when I do want it, there's always backports.

You're in a board for people with nothing to do but argue about menial shit. Of course the overwhelming opinion will be for Arch, since you literally have to learn how to make a goddamn computer from scratch just to install it.

Debian is for lesbians.

What if, in trying to 'fix' something, it fucks up loads of other stuff which depended on the old way? Because it did it for you - without telling you - you have no idea why loads of shit doesn't work. Which is why I prefer to fix things myself.

Debian stretch for servers, unstable for desktop

kill yourself

Ubuntu

PCLinuxOS

Then the bleeding-edge people file bugs against it and it stays in sid or testing before it gets to me. When it works, then I get it, and I never have to bother reading mailing lists or such. All I have to do is wait.

Its well and good to be able to fix things yourself, but I don't think demands should be made of me on that front by my distro. I have my own problems to solve, I don't want to be solving my distro's issues on top of that.

and Arch isn't?