Help me Sup Forums I accidentally fucked up my MBR

Help me Sup Forums I accidentally fucked up my MBR

I had issues with Ubuntu, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall. First, I jumped into Windows and manually deleted the partition for Ubuntu in Disk Management, which left nothing but a basic version of grub - not everything went. Next, I booted up a live version of ubuntu and I installed Ubuntu again in order for it to be detected on OS-uninstaller - figured this would cleanly remove everything. Next, I rebooted to see if grub was still there - it was. I then rebooted into live again and used gparted to delete any fat32 partitions and anything related to Ubuntu, while trying to keep windows partitions. I finished that, and rebooted - no bash, no windows - nothing. Literally just some intel shit, so I figured I deleted The MBR. Now I'm trying to install Ubuntu again so I at least have an OS, but when I go to boot options on my BIOS, all I can see under UEFI is Onboard IPv4 & IPv6 - no legacy. I can't even see my USB with Ubuntu on it, and I can't boot to it. What the fuck do I do?

Assuming you have no cd, get a bootable usb stick prepared on a working computer.

Take a MBR from your mum's computer and stuff it into your own.

I'm not completely sure what you've done, but theoretically you should be able to swap out the hard drive on any PC for a blank one and boot from a USB to install an OS,

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume your USB is not UEFI compatible?

You can turn on legacy USB in the BIOS (Intel shit), or install a UEFI version of the installation onto a USB disk

In other words the Intel shit is what actually boots your pc, "deleted the motherboard" you actually deleted your boot partition on the hard drive that the BIOS (Intel shit very hard to delete on the MOBO, not accessible) looks for and loads up,

My USB is UEFI compatible - it's what I used earlier. I only have a mac available, so I might use that to remake the USB installer. I tried using the legacy boot, but all I get is just a blinking cursor in the top left corner - nothing happens.

Try reinstall legacy again, the blinking means that at least the BIOS attempted to boot it

Yes, I'm aware I deleted my boot partition. Assuming I manage to get Linux installed, could I restore Windows and pick up from where I left it or will I have to reinstall windows as well?

If you haven't deleted the windows partition, then once you have installed Linux and grub again, you can add a custom entry in grub.cfg to boot up windows

Will do.

If you changed from a UEFI installation to legacy, or vice versa then unfortunately the installation probs rewrote the partition table and rendered previous partitions practically unrecoverable (AFAIK)

OP here, gonna re-flash a Ubuntu iso on my USB and try that again, see if that will install.

So you have no backup Windows disk? How about a Windows repair disk? Neither?

Quick update - I reflashed the iso on my USB and it detects the UEFI boot mode, so I'm going to reinstall Linux and go from there. Once I'm in Linux, how do I restore the MBR for W10?

Give it back Jamal

boot into livecd
open terminal
grub-install
Reboot.
You don't even need ubuntu now.

There are enough mbr fixing tools available for Ubuntu, use google.

I'm already installing Linux, so it's a bit late for that. How do I restore my MBR inside Linux? Or do I have to make a Windows install USB?

Installing linux will install GRUB automatically, so you're set either way

Go to Windows. Make backup. Then make rescue cd. Use.

Shove computer up ass.

Is that Dell laptop BIOS?

Google boot-repair for Ubuntu. It has worked wonders for me repairing mbr boot problems. I've never used it on a Uefi boot though.