/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

grymoire.com/Unix/
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Larry. Install Gentoo!

HIJACKING THIS THREAD IN THE NAME OF BSD

Are you using LibertyBSD? You'd better be!

Why hasn't the Intel Management Engine been compromised yet?

Seems like a very ripe target for attack.

I've just installed Debian. My very first (fully installed) distribution, however, Gentoo was my first linux "experience". I grew impatient with setting everything up, that's why I'm not using Gentoo now.

unsubscrbe

Should I try to download drivers separately before installing debian or just let it handle it?

Do not install outside of your package manager

Download debian-nonfree image. It has firmware and stuff

Nouveau should be okay for legacy hardware?

I like htop's looks but dstat is more useful for troubleshooting. What do you use to monitor CLI resource use and things like IO latency or blocking under load?

How do I use synaptic on fedora? I have apt and synaptic installed but I have no idea how to add dnf repos to apt?

You would have to check the feature matrix of your card,but generically, yes it would be fine for daily use

You don't

Thats too bad, yumex is worst pkgmanager front end ever created. Is there gui like synaptic for dnf?

Linux should see NTFS partitions just fine and manipulate files in it just fine, right?

If you're using ntfs-3g, they will

I think the Fedora devs only care about the Gnome software center, whatever it's called nowadays

Gnome software center doesnt show all packages

Since Windows is using NTFS, I'll have to find another way.

Gentoo users, mind explaining why you like portage? Building stuff from source has always seemed like a con to me, but Gentoo looks interesting because of no systemd.

FuckBSD

Gentoo user here. Use arch with openRC if arch still supports it

nmon, is also freaking sexy

Arch doesn't support it. The best init agnostic distro outside a source based is Devuan.

>because of no systemd
the fuck? is everyone using systemd now?

wow im so behind, gentoo's pretty much the only one.

no is not, thankfully

What firewall rules would you recommend that I use on my laptop. I use it at home behind a NAT (no ports are forwarded to the laptop) and at my school.

Block all incoming TCP connections, unless established from my side, and then what?

Hey guys I recently installed Ubuntu and I'm pretty happy about but I got some questions.
When I used Windows I used ccleaner once in a while to get rid of unnecessary shit, is using a similar service necessary on Linux?

What are you trying to get rid of?

ccleaner was just a placebo for the most part anyway. people didn't empty their rubbish bins and MS would absolute cunts and have many gigs of unneeded update files sitting around for no reason. Cleaning up the registry was pretty pointless too.

If you install is years old and in that time you've upgraded the kernel tons of times, have loads of orphaned files and want to clear the cahce of packages then you can deal with it then. But it's really not something you need to worry about.

>installing loonix
>mounted root and swap on SSD
>Have ext4 partition that I want to use for games (steam mostly)
Where do i mount it? I don't want it to be home.

So who at Kubuntu thought it was a good idea to make Libreoffice Draw the default association for PDF? I opened the Shadowrun corebook (about 550 pages) and it almost broke my ram. Got it covered now with okular but ffs why not include kde's pdf reader in a kde oriented distro, let alone whose idea it was to associate pdfs to a fucking paint-like image editor.

I just ufw enable tbqhfam

no, it doesn't bog the memory but some people like to use bleachbit to remove unnecessary files and for security reasons

Hillary approves

Alright thanks user

There's not much unnecessary shit here you could get rid of. Cleaning package caches and old kernel images is enough.

how do programs send messages so I cen see them with dmesg (like ufw for example)? is there a way to do this from the terminal?
>ringbuffer-send 'ayy lmao'

You guys sound smart so let me ask one more pleb question
Is any kind of anti virus/malware protection needed on Ubuntu?
Btw thanks for helping out

Free software is the best AntiVirus protection. Just don't run blindly code made by people you don't trust (PPAs, AUR, etc). There's "clamav" to scan for windows malware, but such malware wouldn't affect your system anyway (unless you run it in WINE). Common Sense 2017 is as always all you need.

>You guys sound smart
we only pretend

>Is any kind of anti virus/malware protection needed on Ubuntu?
no, not really

You don't really need it no. You will probably only ever install software from your distros official repository and if you use permissions like you are supposed to the system is secure. You also get security through obscurity, windows machines are a much more populated and easy target.

Thanks anons you've been a big help

anti virus software is a meme, because viruses don't exist; there are only programs doing their jobs and unlike proprietary systems/programs, where it's easy to backdoor binaries, you and millions of other people cam see what a program does and developers can remove maliciouse code from a package even before it enters a distributions repo.

Well, that works for FOSS, but if you install proprietary software on your FOSS machine, you have the same problem like on Windows and the only way to check for bad code is heuristic, which is why anti virus software exists.

when you use proprietary software, you usually don't care much about security anyway
imho nonfree software belongs into a vm or into the trash
either a secure system or nonfree software, you cant have both...

>have windows dual booted because I used to rarely need it for stuff (VM etc isn't an option)
>Literally haven't used it for a year, I was much less knowledgeable about computers then
>Mostly used it for games, office and proprietary software
>Boot into it
>cringe as 15 startup items including steam, NVIDIA GeForce Experience, Spotify, some garish overclocking software as well as drivers that for some reason demand their own programs open
>Look at filesystem to delete stuff to save space
>Tons of near useless programs wasting tons of space, each with their own program files entry
>Try to change some settings
>Half the settings can be changed through two different menus
>Uses twice as much space as Linux with the same programs
>Actually need to worry about viruses
>Botnet
>Badly written and bloated so badly many things barely work

Windows is a truly cancerous piece of shit, as is most of its software. Not to mention how fucking bad nfts is, and the price tag.

This so much. It now comes with the added feature of booting your computer at night without asking.

What is the most noob-friendly distro? I've only ever used windows and I don't want to JUST my computer by accidentally being too close to code.

Ubuntu if you dont like Unity, go with Linux Mint

I'm very mad because someone told me that mate is good but there isn't a way to make so that if throw my mouse on the top right and i left click i close a maximized window. Feels like macOS

>recommenting Mint
found the troll

What else then? here a free (You)

Ubuntu Mate?

Ubuntu and if you don't like unity get any other flavour DE (xubuntu, kubuntu, whatever). I use KDE (kubuntu). Do some research on DEs and pick one that looks like you want, or you can try many with "allinone" or something like that.

kek, "knows" how to use linux yet fail to learn the more user friendly windows.

kek to you samefag

Obviously you haven't even used a GNU/Linux liveCD. In any case this is /fglt/, so take your shitposting and/or shilling elsewhere.

who uses CD-s anymore kek
and using "obviously"

go troll your other neet mlp fags you have in the basement

>apparently advanced enough not to need systemd
>doesn't understand the benefits of building packages/sofware yourself

Kill yourself you pretentious poser.

>use it for games, office and proprietary software

So for everything? Did you boot into your Linux distribution just to browse the internet and then boot back to Windows to edit an image quickly and write something in "office"? Pathetic.

>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

back to page 1 with you

Is there a way to use vim as hexeditor?

:%!xxd converts the buffer to hex
:%!xxd -r converts it back
Map it to keys for maximum convenience.

Whats some good awk/sed guide ?

Thanks!

grymoire.com/Unix/ is the best by far.
Also have a look into these:
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt

How do I make i3 reserve space for a docked lemonbar (with -d) ?
I want gaps around it so I added -d but it just floats on top of the workspace.

I MADE IT

welcome to the other side
try installing inxi for real system information

also latest KDE:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

latest mesa drivers:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

and update your kernel .... 4.9.6 is latest stable release already

Sup Forumsentlemen, my first attempt at installing debian via netinstall iso botched bootloader and wasted my time so far.
I started install, had to go afk so I left it downloading 1440 packages from repo. I come back 4 hours later, grub failed to install, text installer started asking for CD while being loaded from CD and then stopped responding. I had little time at this moment, so I clicked "Graphic install" for giggles, skipped installing packages from repository and also had to skip something named "System and standard programs" simply because it failed to do so itself. Grub installed successfully, so tomorrow I'll look at barebones debian. I also hope I would be able to load into windows partition. What would be my first action from debian terminal so I won't be stuck editing doc and viewing pdf files via console?

Should we tell her?

Now, write "man screenfetch" and search what flag you need to use in order to truncate the output based on the terminal width.
Repeat this with all commands you have questions about.

Welcome

Cinnamon, Mate, or just a WM?

Still better than Windows so it's still WIN.

>we

im french btw

I know it sounds strange, but how about making your own decisions? You know best what's good for you.

I've used variations of all three. I'm just interested in what others think :)

(I'm a fan WM only)

WM + favorite programs = best DE, but only if you love your computer. If you just want to have something to get shit done, KDE.

Is there anything simliar to OverTheWire's bandit? Shit was fun.

has anybody here deep understanding of xrandr? i would like to solve a problem of mine if somebody can take the time to answer

I should really look into just using a WM plus the other things I need. I am running mate right now and it has only the bare minimum for what I need. I guess if I had my status notifications as well as date and time I really don't need anything else aside from my windows.

Not really a fan of using the terminal for absolutely everything though. Clicking through a GUI with a mouse is lazy and easy. [spoiler]I can even do it in bed.[/spoiler]

WMs aren't terminal only. You can use guis all you want. Tiling WMs just tile your windows across the screen.

You can do everything without removing your hand from the keyboard! It's even more lazy :)

desu typing is more of a pain than clicking a mouse. especially if you aren't sitting at a desk.

Hi, I'm using kubuntu 16.10. I added the backports repos to get KDE 5.85 (default is 5.75). Someone tells me I can enable the Neon repos to get 5.9 which is out yesterday. Can someone explain how to do it?

Thank you, I'll get on these right away.

I already got a feeling there's at least 15 things wrong in that screenfetch.

get rid of Kubuntu and switch to KDE Neon if you want a less buggy shit experience.

bash
$ var=hello
$ echo "${#var[@]}"
$ var=(hello)
$ echo "${#var[@]}"

zsh
$ var=hello
$ echo "${#var[@]}"
$ var=(hello)
$ echo "${#var[@]}"

I guess I'll do it in a few days, I just reinstalled kubuntu yesterday and can't be asked to change distros at least until tomorrow.

What's so wrong about Kubuntu compared to Neon anyway? Is most of the team on neon now? I've heard bad things about kubuntu but I guess I need to hear what ppl won't print on official sites.

what's that systemmd command that shows boottime something like sysmte-md-analyze

What DE is everyone using?

tmux obvs

that K.

What's the problem?
$ var=hello; echo "${#var}"

@ is referring to an array
# combined with @ counts array items

bash
$ var=(hello faggot); echo "${#var[@]}"

zsh
% var=(hello faggot); echo "${#var[@]}"

Gentoo user here.

The first thing to keep in mind is that using portage doesn't really feel like you're compiling anything. It just does its magic and maybe takes a little bit longer than a binary installation.

Once you get used to it it really feels like using any other package manager for the most part.
Except that it gives you so many more options to choose from if you want. If I install something I can look and see that it comes with GTK+ and qt5 and go
>shit, I only need one of those, let me tell portage to build it for only one and leave out support for the other
or say you don't use pulseaudio, you can tell portage to globally never build pulse support for anything, meaning you never pull in any pulseaudio dependencies.

But even if that stuff sounds too advanced, remember it's not even necessary. You can also get lazy and just let portage do whatever the fuck it wants and then your system is a little bit closer to having the bloat you'd get from binary distros.

Then on top of all that, there's the benefits of everything on your system being compiled for your specific hardware, and everything being built with the exact versions of libraries you have on your system. The end result is that despite being fairly "bleeding edge" Gentoo is actually one of the most stable distros you'll ever find, and thanks to the flexibility of portage and compiling locally rather than downloading pre-compiled binaries even when something does break it's pretty much always possible to resolve the issue and get your machine working again.

I think the only times re-installation is considered to be the best solution when fixing a Gentoo machine, is when the system is like 10yrs out of date and even then it's still probably doable, but re-installation is just simpler at that point.

Yep, point is that since ${#var[@]} is specifically used for getting the size of an array it's a bad thing it returns the length of variable when used on a single variable instead of an array. That would be a problem, for example, if you didn't know whether var was a single variable or an array. Practically speaking it's not an issue because I can't really think of a case where that could be a problem (except perhaps indirection or if var is a nameref) but still, not good.

if you aim for portability, don't use arrays and write posix sh, which is supported by both, bash and zsh