Ubuntu Terminal

Is there a way to change the default settings of where and what size the terminal loads as? When I open terminal it opens in the top left just a hair to high. Id like it to open on the right side, top, and preferably snapped in a nice position.

also id like a way to do this with a gui as opposed to command line, either is okay just specifying a preference.

just discovered profiles, lets see if I can get this to work

Open terminal

I think it's File>Preferences

Then go into your "profile". Might as well saved the current "Unnamed" one as "Default", so you can revert to default settings.

Anyway, create a new profile and in the settings you should be able to change the size of the window.

okay i got the size I want. Any idea on how to change its position on screen?

Most terminals can be launched using the geometry switch allowing you to specify terminal's size and position (COLUMNSxROWS+X+Y) e.g.:

gnome-terminal --geometry 73x31+100+300

or

xterm -geometry 93x31+100+350

If you want to make the above permanent, copy the terminal launcher (terminal's .desktop file) from /usr/share/applications/ to ~/.local/share/applications/ and edit the Exec field accordingly.

E.g. for gnome-terminal

Exec=gnome-terminal --geometry 73x31+100+300

Having that custom launcher in your $HOME would preserve your settings after terminal-package upgrades (that would otherwise overwrite the default .desktop file in /usr/share/applications).

this is borderline gibberish to me.. but I got nothing going on for the next couple hours. Wish me luck.

where can I find access to terminals geometry?
I am aware that the ."file" are hidden ones so I have them shown. Just not sure where to look for terminal specifically

open a terminal
type cd /usr/share/applications/

now type ls -alt

you should dee the .desktop file

you need to copy that to ~/.local/share/applications/

then open with a text editor and edit the Exec= field to read Exec=gnome-terminal --geometry 73x31+100+300", of course, you'll change the values to whatever geometry you want

were getting close, I got that first command in. When I type "-alt" after it doesnt say its a vailid command

nvm I got it, ls is for list. So now im looking at a huge list...

I have found the gnome-terrminal.desktop file, whats next morpheus?

cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop

then

gksudo gedit ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop

then change the exec line

so you're copying a file from one directory to another

cp file_path_to_file_you're_copying file_path_to_where_its_being_copied_to

gksudo lets you launch GUI programs with root permissions

gedit is the name of a text editor on ubuntu

nigga, learn the command line. it's easy.

cp source destination

probably makes more sense

so cp /text.txt /home/users/faggot/textcopy.txt

would make a copy of the file "text.txt" in your root directory (/) and place it into /home/faggot/ as the file "textcopy.txt"

thanks! I did not have the text editor so I had to snag that real quick. Now I am looking right at it. Going to mess with this see if I can get it where I want it to be.

nigga, I am trying, this whole thread is me trying lol.

>open thread
>see 2 posters
>actually working together
This thread makes me feel warm inside.
I can't really help you OP, but I wish you luck.

check out tutorialinux on youtube, you go to piratebay and hit up some linux courses "Ubuntu Beginner to Power User" or some shit was how I learned linux. It starts with basics, and doesn't get into the command line until the middle of the course

any idea if this terminal I copied over is the one opening when I press Ctrl+alt+t?
Yeah this user really is helping me out a lot, feels fuckin good lol
Once I get this terminal where I want it, ill check that out

Wallpaper? It looks awesome

you're just copying a file that has configuration settings in it from the applications installation directory, to your user directory, so when you login with your username, the terminal loads the settings file in your home directory. it's still the same terminal.

all you're doing is telling the computer to execute the terminal with a particular geometry

quick google search found it, here you go
/helping

I gotta go to work, and I was just googling to help you, but basically this is what you need to ask to get instructions

"I want my terminal to always launch at the same spot on the screen. I know you can launch a terminal from the command line with the geometry switch, e.g.

How do I ensure this occurs every time a terminal is launched"

I am changing the exec line but it doesnt seem to be reflecting any changes, do I have things typed correctly?

like you changed it, and it reverts back when you save?

it just reads "gnome-desktop" now. You need to make it read "Exec=gnome-terminal --geometry 73x31+100+300"

the first two numbers are rows and columns, second two are its positioning on screen.

if you can't save the file, it's cause you don't have root permission.

easy way to do this is to

"sudo apt install gksu"

then open terminal and open the desktop file with gedit with root permissions, by executing the command

"gksudo gedit ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop"

oh shit I was changing the one at the top!

oh wait, i didn't see you had it entered up top.

i dunno try it under the [Desktop Action New] spot, too

you can check the gnome-terminal.desktop file and edit the command there

usually in /usr/share/applications, edit the exec line with your new command

ok do what this guy said. instead of copying that file, just edit the original.

i have no idea what im doing either, but we're close

change all the entries with exec.

log out and log back in for good measure

You could also create custom keybinds that open you're terminal with different --geometry or --profile.

no you are a terminal

Alright, I have tried changing both the original file, and the copied file, and no luck. Can someone explain to me why I had to copy the file somewhere in the first place? I think it had something to do with not reverting back to default if updated but not totally sure. Anyone having better luck?

so if you go into terminal and type

It will indeed launch a terminal with those particular geometry settings.

So you want it do this every time.

You should be able to change the exec line, but I'm not sure why it isn't working..

You can do like homeboy suggested and create a custom keybinding so when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Y it runs the command "gnome-terminal --geometry 73x31+100+300"

I don't know why it's not working for ya though, changing the exec line should work

Couldn't he just create an alias for gnome-terminal to execute with the geometry settings?
Then he wouldn't have to change the keybindings at all.

Probably. I'm just as clueless as he is, I was just googling shit and trying to help

So, some good news, I figured out the coordinates I wanted

gnome-terminal --geometry 73x18+800-335

figured that out by just blasting the terminal with that command and changing numbers

now to make it permanent

Try what I suggested here You can set an alias for gnome-terminal so that every time that command is executed, it's really executing the command with the geometry defined as well.
Your keybindings should work with this also. I do remember how to set the alias off the top of my head, but it is very simple. Just Google it.

Alright, so i got it now where if I double click the terminal application in either of the locations it does what I want, it is just when I use Ctrl+alt+T that it opens in the default location, any ideas how to change that?

alias seemed a bit confusing when I felt im already so close with everyone elses advice. I will learn about alias' soon

i too like ubuntu and birb wallpapers

Alright guys, I did it, I just made a shortcut for

gnome-terminal --geometry 73x18+800-335

and set it to ctrl alt t.

I think someone mentioned doing that also lol

yeah it was this guy, props lol.

yeah ive had ubuntu for about three days and have already made shit way challenging for myself lol, getting that theme took way longer than it probably should have, and the bird background made it look so pretty. Also, nice birb.

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root