IBM: what kinda mainframe u want

>IBM: what kinda mainframe u want
>customer: just F117 my shit up famalam
>IBM: gotcha

IBMs a lad

the contemperary (got no dictionary installed and cba searching how to spell that) geometric shapes probably mean its faster than the more generic looking mainframes

If I'm not mistaken, Isn't that thing water cooled?

Watercooling is an option on IBM mainframes.

The CPUs inside have a TDP of 300 W

the reason it looks like that is so it can deflect radar signals.

btw, who the f still buys maingrames?

>when you love DX too much

banks, airlines, anything that requires lots of transaction processing

also legacy stuff, the z13 mainframe can still run all programs created for the system/360 from the 1960s

That, and extreme reliability, are the selling point of mainframes.

There are VAX/VMS Clusters on the net that measure uptime in years.

does anyone have any actual experience working on a mainframe? What did you actually do to it/on it?

Your talking about a machine who survives one of the CPUs melting. You just remove it, bin it and plop in a new one.

And all that happened was that your programs ran slower for a while.

Mainframes are a different type of beast.

>fully backwards compatible with system360 from 1964

I find it unbelievable that such feature could be a selling point for anyone.

I mean what kind of software existed in 1960s that couldn't be just replaced by something more contemporary written in a modern language by an indian codemonkey within a week?

Why bother with the risk of downtime that could cost hundreds of millions of dollars?

If you want to make money, become a COBOL programmer.

redundant blades do the same thing.

heck, with cloud, you can nuke HQ and its backbone and pajeet will still receive service until payments run out.

They're a bag of dicks. Fuck having to go to a datacenter to configure my clusters.

>has never heard of core banking platforms

Do you even into business change/transitional risk?

A lot of the transaction processing infrastructure that's still in place today was written in the 60s and 70s and maintained with new generations of mainframe programmers. Unfortunately, IBM's presence in the classroom is waning, and students aren't taught assembly programming that often. Essentially, this means that every company that uses mainframes as their core business computation machines are looking for new blood so they can forgo paying an arm and a leg to keep some 60+ oldfaggot on their payroll.

Cool.

Mainframe maintenance sounds like a comfy job.

>ywn warm your feet to the exhaust vents of a mainframe while brewing tea and staring at a terminal window

Smart banks are doing the old parallel AB with new cloud hosted core banking platforms and making the old school T1s look like the plebs they are.

Implying that you'd actually keep your money in a conventional high street bank tho, when most private banks and wealth management firms offer accessible GIAs and ISAs to put your money in, and move to and from.

It probably is, COBOL is the programming version of learning to read Sumerian Cueniform at this point, except besides being cool is actually going to make you bank

im posting this from a mainframe

Are you fuck. No one has a mainframe with external network access you silly fuck, you'd be exposing all your core services. Fuck off.

my uncle works for IBM ask me anything

what the fuck are you on
I work at IBM on mainframes
from inside the system I can ping google.com

Are you sure that isn't a z10?

Nice secure datacenter m9. Of course the system can ping Google.com by default, it's just going to be running normal AIX or whatever, the point is that most mainframes live in data centres which obviously do not have direct network access, they're going to hit by the web servers etc, because having your core DB and application servers exposed to the world is fucking batshit insane.

what do you mean?

That picture looks like a z10

I think it is a Z10

>I don't understand something so it must be simple and uncomplicated

wew lad

I think they look cool.