/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

As long term WM user I think I'm going for a DE this time, what should I choose?
xfce or KDE?

Thoughts on Solus? Worth a chance/try or pass?
Why?

Only asking cause shit internet connection here so it'll take hours to download.

>tfw Ubuntu and Linux literally destroys your life

It's okay as a first distro. It has some cool features but most of those are part of budgie so not necessarily Solus exclusive. It's going to be very similar to Ubuntu or Mint in that it "Just Works"™.

How difficult would it be for someone coming from Windows 10?

I've been checking out their blog and it seems to be under very active development. Would you recommend budgie or mate?
It's for a 15.6 inch laptop

Solus is quite straightforward and easy. Just keep in mind that it doesn't have nearly as much support as most bigger distros such as Ubuntu (Solus literally has 3-5 packagers/devs). Assuming your system isn't old as heck, I'd recommend you to try the Budgie version as it's their flagship and a bit more modern than Mate.

Solus project are trying to do some pretty big changes this year. They're switching Budgie to Qt, a new package manager, containers for 3rd party applications etc. Their current 3rd party installation code seems to be spaghetti, installing Chrome can take an hour lmao

If you find Solus to not have enough packages/support, don't be too mad and try Ubuntu or something else

Any recommendations for backup software that supports encrypted backups to amazon drive?

rclone would've been perfect if it supported versioning like rsnapshot.
rsnapshot would've been perfect if it supported third party backends like rclone.

Xfce is simpler, KDE is powerful

Wanted to run linux virtually just for class to learn linux basics and to learn C..

The idea is to also have it in a folder that sync's through my synology so I can run it on multiple machines (not at the same time of course or the syncing might fuck it up?)

Should this work?

What OS should I use that is virtualbox friendly? Doesn't need to have a desktop, I need to learn VIM anyways also.

Maybe centos?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

get debian (netinstall), so later you'll have experience with all other debian based distros like ubuntu etc

I like the idea of arch but I know that'll be a fucking mess with updates and syncing across multiple machines, and since I am just learning I dont need it to be very powerful and bleeding edge

>don't be too mad to try Ubuntu or something else

Yeah I'm not going to throw a fit at Linux if one Distro doesn't work how I want. And this is for an older laptop. Some Lenovo my mom upgraded from and I'm keeping.

>i5 430m
>6GB ram
>gt330m
>256GB ssd
>1366x768 15.6 inch screen

Not the best, but I doubt it'll struggle to run a modern Distro smoothly, right?

>the idea of arch
What do you mean? Any netinstall variant comes barebones like Arch, so you can build your system yourself.
That said, Arch is piss easy. Install takes an hour reading and copy pasting and you're done. The breakage thing is a meme. Things may break, but not as often as it get's meme'd here.

GNU/Linux*

but all the distros play well with virtualbox so that aspect should be non-issue?

GNU plus Linux

Should run any linux distro and desktop environment without a problem.

I'll shill my own personal preference which is Fedora. It has official spins that feature various desktop environments or you can install the "main" gnome desktop environment.

I've gone distro hopping several times but always end up back at fedora because it just works so damn well.

Yep, not an issue. Just pick what fits your needs.

VOID
O
I
D

LINUX
I
N
U
X

Arch with 200% more autism, the distro.

That'll run anything you throw at it. If you go the Ubuntu route, I'd advise against stock Ubuntu. Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu are pretty nice. If you want to go the Arch route, try Antergos or Manjaro.

I don't think so, Tim. Void is like Arch in good. More freedom, less failure.

Cont...

What kind of essay would a middle aged woman be interested in relating to something I want to learn?

Apparently, UNIX seems to boring and I'm NOT doing social media...

>implying you have to configure you install manually like it's 1950's bell labs or some stupid shit
>literally systemd

The history of consumerism on the Internet

bitches love shopping :^)

>le systemd is bad meme
People like you give distros without systemd a bad name and turn it into actual meme autism. Thanks.

I'll probably fall back on Ubuntu mate if I find Solus to be lacking, thanks for the advice.

I don't think I'll try Arch until I'm more comfortable with the terminal though.

So far I'm really liking the look of the Mate desktop, I'll try to decide between Fedora or Ubuntu if Solus doesn't work for me, or maybe if I get another pc.

reddit

Solus is scaring me. It was SO HARD shilled on Sup Forums that I think there MUST be something really really wrong with it.

GNU/Linux*

free rare arch pape

name one reason why systemd should be doing the million things it does now. Defend it's continued hostile takeover of linux as a whole. The devs are fucking with the linux kernel, denying any fault and then trying to force any patches to be made to the kerenl itself rather than their shitty software. Allowing systemd to run wild is like giving a president more and more emergency powers during a time of strife until one day you have a dictator.

GNU/Linux*

idk man, did you use gno+lunix before systemd? it was a real clusterfuck
systemd made things easy

this is what happens when you fail to realize that openness is a double edged sword sweetie

>million things it does now
Such as?

>hostile takeover
In what way was it hostile? It's good so Dsitro developers adopted it

>The devs are fucking with the linux kernel, denying any fault and then trying to force any patches to be made to the kerenl itself rather than their shitty software.
Source?

>Allowing systemd to run wild is like giving a president more and more emergency powers during a time of strife until one day you have a dictator.
In what way?

The only hostility I'm seeing is your autistic hate for SystemD 2bh.

>fucking with the linux kernel
heh, this is how open source works faggot

>these people must stop working on any project because they are somehow related to systemd

pure autism

How is this meme called again? I'm out of the loop. Spurdo?

How dare you insult systemd? Just accept it! What could go wrong with NSA/Red Hat having total control of all the low level stuff that sits between kernel and user space? Face it, it's GNU/Linux/systemd now and Red Hat has already won

Fucking kek

So I'm switching to iproute stuff and I've some questions.

What's the equivalent of "arp"?
What's the equivalent of "netstat -tulpen?

Also, I'm trying to display available wlan accesspoints, but
iw dev wlan0 scan
gives tl;dr output. How to get a more human friendly output?

system is becoming a strict dependency for some things. features the devs have promised to split from systemd have not been done. it's a "eggs in one basket" scenario.

have a look at systemd vs linus torvalds and see what I mean

>system is becoming a strict dependency for some things. features the devs have promised to split from systemd have not been done. it's a "eggs in one basket" scenario.
You say this like it's an answer to anything I posted.
You say this like it matters.

If SystemD is so bad then why has it been so massively adopted by every major Distro?

>here is why I don't like systemd
>comrade you haven't even said anything about systemd is flawed
>here is why I don't like systemd
>you didn't say anything about how systemd is flaed but at the same time you say this like it matters! everyone uses it so it must be perfect :^)

Why not just have separate Linux VMs that have access to a regular fileshare on the Synology?

That is the human readable output. Get friendly with grep or use one of the frontend tools like wicd.

Would telling redshift that I live in New York affect its functionality if I live in the same time zone but a few hundred miles west? Also how do I specify a location for it to use so it will quit begging me to turn on a GPS?

Use location-provider=manual in the redshift.conf. Read man redshift

GNU/Linux*

$ man redshift
you can specify your exact location with -l
for ex. redshift -l 55.7:12.6 -t 5700:3600 -v
try jewgle to get your locations settings
you can also strip geoclue completly by recompiling, there's a flag

hahahaha

tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

lol ubuntufags btfo

if zsh is objectively superior to bash, why isn't it the default shell on most systems?

>I'll buy this laptop ecause it's cheaper.
>WTF? My Windows programs don't work.
>I'mma call the new station about this.
Fucking tech illiterates.

give me a good brainfuck interpreter

Is Ubuntu worth installing? I'm a newbie please help

ubuntu is fine yes. people don't like the default desktop enviroment that comes with it and often say to install on of the other flavours be it kubuntu, lubuntu or whatever.

Personally think Mint is better for newbies
Don't get the Canonical version of Ubuntu

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop yesterday, and I went into experimenting installing openbox and tint2, but I feel like it's bloated as hell

I had a bad experience with debian days ago, the network card wasn't working at all, even with drivers installed

Should I try bsd? Some people told me that is quite good

Anyone got recommendations for TTY fonts?

I've got a 3200x1800 13" screen, so a lot of the ones I like such as artwiz aren't happening. Terminus is legit one of the best fonts but I'm a little sick of it.

I think that one is meant to be a Gondola
Spurdo is the jusd fug my shid ub :DDD one, Gondola has no arms and only legs and a head and never talks.

>3200x1800 13"
lmao what

I recommend xubuntu or lubuntu if you are coming from windows.

bsd isn't linux

just do a minimal install of debian, then a minimal install of whatever DE you want on top of that. it's not difficult, there will be little if any bloat and will give you a bit of an understanding how things work to start off.

Thank you guys, I'll try them tomorrow when I get back from college

Dell XPS 13

It's comfy af, is like a retina display.

>Should I try bsd?
definitely do that if you're enthusiastic about unix

but don't blame freebsd if you have something goes wrong because you're new to *nix
linux is easier to get into, so it might be better to try and solve that problem you have

also, get comfy with the command line
this book can be very helpful in that regard linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

This should probably be in the OP

I haven't checked but the OP has links to /t/ and such with a bunch of helpful guides

Yeah but that particular pdf isn't in the OP

Only for retards like you.

Because debian botched everything I just decide to install xubuntu from liveCD, things went comfy, should I upgrade from 14 to 16 though?

What's it called in KDE's file browser where you press ctrl+i and you can filter the current folders contents by keywords. it's like searching but way faster. Can you do this in mate?

>KDE's file browser
Are you talking about Krusader?
You can just install Krusader and uninstall whatever the hell comes with Mate if you like user, that's the beauty of Linux.

So I'm reinstalling Manjaro to see if I can pinpoint a problem, and I decided to take a peak at cinnamon.

Perhaps I just don't see the purpose of cinnamon. I think the menu is kind of ugly, but I see no reason to use it over KDE or Mate, my two DEs of choice.

Is there some breakthrough cinnamon thing I missed? Maybe it lies in themes OR WM but I'd rather just use xfce or something instead.

I mean I'm totally open to it because KDE is still >KDE and I don't really enjoy MATE or Xfce for a desktop experience (especially since dolphin is so good) but it still kind of comes off as a why DE

Get enlightenment :^)

well I'd rather know if there is an obvious way to do with Caja that I'm missing rather than install a whole new program.

Yeah I have no idea user sorry, I don't use MATE

I'm thinking of backing up my OS/HDD to another HDD, in case I screw something.
What would be the best way to do it?
I'm using a laptop so I'd need to connect the other HDD to USB port.
Which is better option?
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb -bs 4M
Or
rsync /dev/hda /dev/hdb

xinit will not startx,wdf do I do!!!
I downgraded the kernel and xserver, I do not know what to do.

I'd like to try a few bash scripts i made,
where do I put them? what's the difference between /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin? I want any users including root to be able to run them

Did you follow the instructions here wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit

Yeah, just go for KDE Neon instead of Kubuntu, it's the same but much better.

Current LTS is 16.04, I see no reason not to upgrade

yes xstart does not do shit exec i3 does not do shit, I am lost at what to do.

Which file manager is able to display large thumbnails without too much spacing in between them, while at the same time is being capable of displaying folder sizes (in K/M/GBytes) in detail view?

Also what would you recommend as windowsbabbeh's first distro/DE without that unity crap?

Thanks!

this. It's called debian netinstall.

Read /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if there is any interesting shit in there.

I mean do you have more details on what goes wrong because if you follow xinit's instructures it should work. Put the log in a pastebin or something

Xfce and KDE are both pretty simple for windows users as far as desktop environments go

>apparently used a "WM" for a long time
>still has to ask that question
>still doesn't know that he could have installed the single components from an environment with his window manager

Kill yourself you lying, pretentious idiot.

>retina display
You mean it's a HiDPI display. Stop using marketing buzzwords.

Yes dwm since it came out, actually no idea how the DE world is looking in Linux nowadays it used to be fucking trash.

KDE Plasma 5.9 just came out this week, and KDE began running their ubuntu LTS based "non"-distro to provide latest KDE a year ago, which is what I'm using now. They don't call it a distro because it's a fairly minimal install but you still have the ubuntu repos to install whatever you need. OpenSUSE also does a good job in regards to implementing latest KDE.

No shilling here, I just don't know much about other DEs. I like xfce also but it's rather more geared toward simplicity and there's not much else to it AFAIK.

Any good simple image editors out there? I pretty much just them to crop images, autocropping out black borders and such is a good feature too. gimp has way more shit then I will ever need.

Thanks senpai