/pcbg/ - PC Building General

PC Building General: 1070 is more than a viable 1440p card edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for the i3-6100 in any build; same performance, half the price.
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
>Outdated, does not including info about 200 series chipsets

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/39kLjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/hxRssJ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cxgLjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/pR4CtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/4jRGHN
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/fnyfkT
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131694&cm_mmc=unlocked-_-build-_-portableVRbuild480-_-budget
laptopmag.com/articles/acer-predator-21x-17x-specs-price-release-date
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My ram is two months old and I get blue screens every now and then. The ram is 3000mhz gskill with XMP on and it fails both memtest and Windows memory diagnostics in either pair of slots
What do I do?
It was $67 when I bought it, buying the same ram again at prices now would be cuckery

1070 is not a viable card anymore and this thread is shit

fuck off, stop defending your dead card

Is my build ready to go?

Only thing left to pick is a monitor but that will be another century of decision.

pcpartpicker.com/list/39kLjc

I don't per se have a budget but I don't want to WASTE money, if that makes sense. I want to play games at 1440p 144Hz. Should I just wait a bit for Zen and all that before pulling the trigger?

>ASUS Strix

Consider getting a Define C. The Define S is made for watercooling and it takes up a lot more space than it needs to if you're going to be staying on air.

Seconded. Also, getting a full tower is compensation mode.

Nice ram and heatsink XD

>I want to play games at 1440p 144Hz

Then you need a 1080 and i7

Exactly.

>1070lets

Buying parts in canada sucks dick... a 1070 is 600$

The ram is faulty, it happens. RMA it directly to G.Skill, they offer a lifetime warranty on all of their ram.

same in australia

then the 1080 is $1000+

Reposting from last thread.
pcpartpicker.com/list/hxRssJ
Trying to build a Mini ITX to take with me to friend's houses, tournaments, etc. My friend is trying to convince me that the G4620 can handle playing games and streaming at the same time, but I can't shake the feeling that he's full of shit. Is he?

depends, got a gigabyte windforce oc for 500$ at newegg recently

But what do I do while I wait for it?

>more than
It's the minimum power level required for it dumbass.

I got mine for $380

1080p 60Hz = GTX 1060

1080p 100+Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 60Hz = GTX 1070

1440p 100+Hz = GTX 1080 or better.

My 1070 gets 120fps on a mix of high and ultra settings an 8/10 of my games (witcher and Forza were the exception, but 90 and 110fps on varying settings isn't bad), most all of them being new games

Get cucked

us dollars?

If it's 2 months old, I'm assuming it was likely purchased sometime in December? If it was Newegg, you could potentially check to see if it's covered under their extended Holiday warranty shit, unsure about Amazon.
Failing that, disable XMP and rerun memtest. If it's still failing, try undervolting it. Rerun memtest, if it's still fucked, try calling or contact G.Skill support.

After all of that, if everything failed, your only option is to RMA it; or simply buy new ram.

Will a 1050 Ti get by on 1080p60 for games pre-2016?

Get a 470 you braindead brand cock sucking retarded faggot

pre 2014 maybe

who /Ryzen+GTX1080/ here?

gonna order my system in about a month

>/Ryzen

what the fuck

ordering my i5-7600K rn then

this was already proved to be a load of shit. the guy ran into problems because he's using a shitty test AM4 mobo. wait until real results are out and always remember to report rampant fanboy shitposters.

>can't stream overwatch at 1080p and get consistent fps of 144 with my 290x.

Vegaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wheeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnn

>not adding another cheap 290x

Buy new ram, RMA old ram, return new ram when RMA"s ram comes.

Should I upgrade my 4690k? I have the monees.

nice video game consoles itt

>650w PSU

Not gonna happen.

>tfw fury vega successor will never be as sexy as the fury x

Feels bad man

not just no but hell no.

you running it at 4.5 ghz or thereabouts, right?

4.4ghz

Is the H440 supposed to be a loud case? I knew airflow & temps would be poor but I didn't expect it to be so noisy

"Silent" cases are really for cutting out the little things like inductor noise. The important thing is to have quiet components.

>tfw you buy your gtx1080

What would I be able to do with 2 1080Ti?

>tfw you participate in shitty YouTube memes

learn to poo in loo

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cxgLjc

I am very excited.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pR4CtJ

just got a pro gaming contract and my sponsors told me to buy a new PC. i'm coming from a 980ti and a 4690k so i want to go balls out. i know this build is full of fat, so what should i trim?

needs nvidia GPU and at least one sandisk drive, only requirements

>just got a pro gaming contract and my sponsors told me to buy a new PC

i could have gotten alienware as a sponsor and gotten a brand new rig. but these are just bs sponsors who ask me to wear t-shirts at competitions

Lol nigga you just a billboard.

holy fuck my sides

Have: FX6300 + GTX770 2GB + 2x4gb 1333mhz.

Should i upgrade now, wait for ryzen, or wait until later?

I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX1070 + 16gb of ram.

I'm going to buy an i7-7700 and a z270 mobo, does DDR4-3000 of RAM is more than enough or should I buy RAM with less clock? it's for a pc for gaming, editing photo and video, and programming

a billboard with a paycheck

Building an i7-7700k system with AIO cooler and GTX 1080 Hybrid. Corsair Air 540 Case.

Should I put the CPU cooler on the top of the case and the GPU cooler on the front? Or vise-versa? Suggestions?

depends. are you comfortable with going into the BIOS to overclock the RAM? if you are, you should see a minute difference between that and 2400hz. realistically.....3000mhz is a bit of a trend....

with the 7700k you should get at least a 240mm or 280mm cooler. put that on the top and the GTC cooler on the back. have have both pulling air out of the case with some heavy-duty 140mm on the front pushing air into the case.

actually I don't even know how to overclock, that's the reason why I buy a processor non K, but a MoBo for larger RAM... but if you say that, I'll chose to buy an H270 MoBo

Awesome thank you!!!

>Go into BIOS
>Select the right XMP profile

if you dont post jargon, people will learn quicker

So would swapping out the stock fans help? Or maybe it's the fan that comes with the Cryorig H7? Because those are the only things moving and there's still quite a bit of noise even at idle

I hear the H440 comes with some pretty shitty fans so that might be it. Use motherboard control or swap them completely.

>do this
>:(MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_ERROR:(
>:(:(:(

How do you put your pants on in the morning?

I want to upgrade some parts on my PC, except the HDD and the case haha...
any suggestions will be welcome... in the image are my specs right now, and in PC Part Picker the parts I want to upgrade
pcpartpicker.com/list/4jRGHN

What exactly is the point of the computer case

Why can't I just like mount my mobo to my wall

what's a good case without a window

HAF 912 ?

the fact of your pc doesn't look like a tryhard gamer with no money (yes, you need to spend money on stupid shit on your pc)

Nothing's stopping you

Drop down to a 550w psu, everything else is fine.

Few quick questions:
1. Is it necessary to have an i7 if I just play games with high/ultra detail at 1080p@≥60fps?
2. Is it necessary to have a Noctua 9cm CPU cooler or even an Alphacool AIO cooler if I don't overclock the CPU, but have my PC enclosed in a Corsair Carbide 100R?
3. I will have an NVMe SSD as OS disk, and will have only one VGA card. Should I go for Kabylake+Z270 or Skylake+Z170?

If you guys want me to elaborate more I soon will. Until then I appreciate any answer.

Where are all you triple-monitor G27-owning motherfuckers when /ovg/ is racing? Did you buy those wheels just for decoration?

And why the fuck aren't you playing Whiplash?

I already have a personal computer, but I'm thinking of building a super cheap computer for fun both on the hardware and software level. I want to be able to buy multiple cheap parts for it, for example multiple cheap gpu's and be able to switch it out really easily. I also want to be able to connect it to a rasbery pi, arduino ETC. So it can't be too ancient like an atari or something. Software wise, I'm not thinking about playing games on it or anything so thats not a big deal. I just want to be able to install an OS, text editors, connect to servers ETC.

How low can I go in terms of CPU/GPU/motherboard ETC to be able to achieve this?

Tl;dr cheap computer to play around with

Here is the menu.
I got a SSD Sandisk Ultra 240gb coming from amazon.
Do I really need another 8gb? Or just wait to my rig to fuck up and buy new mobo+cpu+ram?
Thanks guys!

I just got that from Google images. Chill out, my dude.

1. you can do 60fps even with an i3, it MOSTLY depends on your GPU, but try try not to bottleneck your pc
2. CPU coolers are greatfor expanding the lifespawn of a cpu, so consider it
3. it depends... which processor do you have?

right now i have an 500w psu, so i was thinkg on buying an 750w psu for future upgrades

SLI? Either way its your money, i won't stop you.

Sup /pcbg/
Should I go for GA-Z170-D3H, or maybe Z170-K is a better choice?
Also, it worth getting skylake motherboard with PCI slots at all? I mean, hooking up PCI network adapter (in case something went wrong with on board one) or decent sound card is nice and stuff, but will all that work with Win10?

This OP picture is fucked. You can't flip a graphics card like that.

Are you running out of RAM ?
If no, you don't need another 8GB.
If yes, get another 8GB.

Thanks for the tips. I have had an AMD phenom II x6 based PC for six years and I plan to build a new PC a week later. Just being not sure which Lake to choose.

Thanks. Dude. Pretty satisfied with this shit. Hope the Ssd will be my endgame.
For now.

are there any portable "desktop" chassis for sale?
basically the idea is someone that, first and foremost, uses regular desktop computer components, where you can choose which ones parts you want without being incredibly limited, that you can freely replace as certain ones become obsolete.

by portable, i mostly mean being able to take it with you without having to detach and pack the screen and keyboard wherever you bring your computer, instead having they attached with no wires to tangle

obviously I'm accepting reasonable setbacks from a laptop, i would be okay with it being 50-75 pounds, and not having an internal battery, but i would expect it to not be so unreasonably sized (volume wise) that i would be have great difficulty moving it myself.

Yes, there are plenty of ITX and mATX cases on the market.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/fnyfkT

Hello. In this build, I won't be pushing the i7 too much, mainly focusing on pushing the 1070, but nothing insane. Which is why I didn't get an MSI Gaming X. Will the H7 suffice for cooling the i7?

I think having the screen and keyboard built-in to a desktop computer is something that died off back in the late 80s.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131694&cm_mmc=unlocked-_-build-_-portableVRbuild480-_-budget

Is this a meme, or an actual good deal?

did you just read the first line of my post?
i had already tried looking for smaller chassis, but i really don't want to have to use a power drill or welding equipment to assemble a screen and keyboard to it, with folding mechanisms.

>i mostly mean being able to take it with you without having to detach and pack the screen and keyboard wherever you bring your computer, instead having they attached with no wires to tangle

The only thing like that, that i know of is military computers, there's a few different types, and they're prohibitively expensive. I've never used or been near one and have no clue if they're upgradeable.

Another thing is "rack mounted lcd" or "terminal", which is basically a keyboard and screen in laptop format and to be fold away in a server rack. never used one of those neither.

I would encourage you to build something like this yourself, as it honestly doesn't exist, unless you want this fucking behemoth.

laptopmag.com/articles/acer-predator-21x-17x-specs-price-release-date

So just get a bag that can fit a keyboard and a lcd screen in addition to your sandwich sized computer

If that's a strict requirement, get a laptop. You'll never find it in a desktop form factor.

Though, if I recall correctly, you can get a barebones machine that has a "case" stuck to the back of a 34" ultrawide monitor. I remember seeing it somewhere, don't remember what it's called though.

but why?
i was originally briefly looking up how to build a new laptop, (as my current one was just picked off a Walmart shelf)
and pretty much the first thing i learned was that all laptops are pretty much prebuilt or incredibly limited to what parts can be used with other ones.
not to mention that they cost more and preform worse in general compared to desktop components.
and if any part of them gets damaged, even just the casing, you have to just buy a new thing because the shells consist of only like 3 or four parts that don't get sold sold separately and the components likely wouldn't fit into another laptop shell, if anyone even sold empty laptop shells.

Because its a very very niche market.