Should I study EE or CS?

Should I study EE or CS?

Keep in mind I already have a BSci in Physics.

If you already have a bachelor's degree, then why do another one?

On a similar note should I go into software development or cyber security? Which pays more?

Well I've just completed it but I haven't scheduled my graduation yet so I might have an opportunity to tack on another degree in the double for only a couple more years of study.

>double degree
I will never understand this American meme. Anyway, I guess EE is closer to home for you and you probably already have some classes that overlap. In my country, EE is actually a study program at the institute of physics and is technically a degree in physics.

If you specifically want to go into cyber security, then a CS degree would probably be more useful. For software development, it depends on whether you want to do low-level shit (not profitable, source: me) or high-level shit (can potentially be profitable)

It's easier to get a higher pay in security, but software development can be more profitable especially as an senior architect for some large consultancy firm. However, it's just as easy to fall behind and become one of the gazilleon mediocre code monkeys out there.

This is in Aus by the way so jobs in the field of physics are few and far between.

>a degree in physics means you are only qualified for a job with physics

I'm and one of my ex-colleagues have a BSc in physics.

>why do another one
well OP stated his reasons but people like me fell for the CS/CE meme and want to an hero whenever they arrive at work
If I don't get into embedded systems programmong I might as well go study something else again

I don't want to go into cyber sec, that was another user.

It's Australia, we don't have that large of a tech industry here. With BSci and EE or CS I might be able to work somewhere else in the world.

See I am an embedded developer and one of my ex-colleagues has a bachelor's degree in physics and his previous job was a high school physics teacher ffs.

well then thanks for giving me hope

>It's Australia, we don't have that large of a tech industry here.
I can assure you it's a lot bigger than Norway's.

>With BSci and EE or CS I might be able to work somewhere else in the world.
No, you wont. Keep in mind that you're not only competing with millions of millions of Asians with master's degrees, you also need to compete with people with graduate degrees from top notch universities such as MIT and Stanford.

That's why I quit my old job and I'm currently doing a PhD (in embedded system's stuff).

Keep in mind that he was utter shit at his job, because he lacked the same depth of understanding as those with actual CE/EE/CS degrees, but he still managed to land the job and still has it.

Hmm thanks for the advice, I would still not rather waste a year looking a decent job with my current degree instead of taking 2 years and getting the qualification in EE or CS which would greatly open up my job prospects, thanks though.

Funny enough, I also have a former colleague that left Norway to work in Sydney, although that was mostly because his wife was from Australia and wanted to go back home from cold Norway (can't blame her).

Hey OP, do EE

Both are good choices but I'd give EE the edge simply for the fact that it has more practical uses in non-specialized environments.
We can't really predict what exactly will happen in the next 30 years with computers, but we can more confidently say that the world and computers will rely on electrical engineering increasingly.
Being able to be your own electrician everywhere you go is cool as fuck too, i suggest you look into it.

Cheers mate, will do.

>Hey Sup Forums please reaffirm my decisions - the thread

>doing a PhD
cuck

I haven't made any decisions yet though, I'm just looking for advice.

>Keep in mind I already have a BSci in Physics.- 17 posts shown.
aka a worthless degree with no chance of employment.

you fucked up, retard. you're probably some low-IQ retard who got into physics because of affirmative action or some shit and you sucked at it and couldn't get into grad school. now you're fucked.

AHAHHAHAHH

Yea, that's understandable.
I went into CE because of programming and since they had a lot of programming oriented classes.
Then while doing my degree I realised how retarded webdev shit was and how that's the majority of '''programming''' today. I prayed to god I don't end up doing that sort of bullshit for the rest of my life, applied to an internship at a bank and what do you know. Everything is webdev shit and trying out the hipater frameworks for node.js

Well, I honestly doubt that you'll spend a year looking for a job, but then again, I on my part were already working full-time as a developer while I was still doing my master's.

If the endgoal here is to get a job, you could always finalise your degree and look for a job while doing a CS or EE degree.

Anyway, good luck to you.

>everything is webdev
Well, even in my previous job where we made network monitoring probes, there was still a fair amount of web development involved because that's the easiest way to make a user interface these days.

The probes needed configuration and management - we implemented a light-weight onboard web server on the probes so clients could configure them.

We needed to present the acquired monitoring data and network traffic analysis - the aggregation server had a web gui with some hipster graphing javascript framework.

It's just the world we live in, user.

Are you more interested in theory or practical application?

I lean toward practical, that's what I enjoyed most in physics anyways but not because the theory component wasn't interesting.