100 fps on Windows 7

>100 fps on Windows 7
>1-10 fps + massive stutter on linux with amd open source driver

Why is linux such a piece of shit for anything other than jerking off in a text editor?

No, serious question. I don't get it. Why am I getting 10% of the performance as windows. Why do linuxfags think this is acceptable?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Installing_the_driver
youtube.com/watch?v=0P-mG8s8Deg
support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=openclose-amdnv-2017&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

get a better computer lmao.

are you poor?

>with amd
found your problem

What distro?

Why is this acceptable?

>dude lmao you have a hardware that is atleast 50% of the market theres your issue

Linux and linux fans are fucking clueless.

>it's ok to miss out on atleast 50% of all hardware

> dude ur PC sucks because youre only getting 10% of linux performance so spend another $2000 to make that 10% something thats useable!

I'll never understand you idiots. It's like you really DO only use a text editor .......

Any. Arch right now.

>Why am I getting 10% of the performance as windows.
You answered your own question. You're using the community-made driver, which is partly reversed engineered, instead of the vendor-supplied driver.

>amd
computational poverty is not the fault of linux

By the way i've also heard people say Nvidia is shit on linux so which one is it?

If I said >nvidia

you would still be like
>found your problem

?

try Linux Mint Mate or Linux Mint KMDE 2 and do some research next time

See Install the driver recommended by the vendor or shut the fuck up.

>instead of the vendor-supplied driver.
because the vendor supplied one doesn't work.

thank you based ayymd.

What does one do if they actually want close to actual performance out of their hardware on linux?

> you can't, use windows

Lol gg.

> 10% of native performance
> LMAO YOURE FUCKING POOR

too afraid to face the reality that linux is a clunker of an OS?

Nvidia proprietary drivers are currently the best. They suck for open source though

>projecting your frustration caused by insufficient financial stability into an animate collections of ones and zeroes

I thought I was hearing a lot of news about how the open source drivers are just as good as propritary or BETTER? I thought i was seeing all these headlines that theres so much progress with opensource GPU performance?

No?

lold.

linux is not an OS

>What does one do if they actually want close to actual performance out of their hardware on linux?
Proprietary drivers.

Also, use nvidia on Linux because they actually put an effort into their drivers unlike AMD.

>I thought I was hearing a lot of news about how the open source drivers are just as good as propritary or BETTER?
> I thought i was seeing all these headlines that theres so much progress with opensource GPU performance?

This is for Nvidia hardware, not AMD.

> works on windows
> doesnt work on Poo/Linux

"YOU'RE POOR"

10/10 arguement dude, really polished and successful Operating System. Really makes me want to get all my work done on Gnu/Linux and convert right now!

> uses a FREE operating system
> calls other people poorfag when they get 10% of native performance

can't stop loln. you freetards are amazing

why are you even using Linux when you have obviously no fucking clue what you are doing and are unhappy with your operating system

Except I know exactly what i'm doing. I've been using linux for close to 10 years.

It still sucks. It's more so bitter disappointment, and confusion as to why people actually think this is still worth using. Pls explain

> uhh i dunno i just open a text editor and post desktop threads on Sup Forums

K

all this butthurt by the inability to engage in his favourite manchild's videogame.

i think you should talk with someone about it

>amd open source driver

What if I was talking about professional 3d modelling software? What if I was making art? what if I needed 3D Acceleration for ANYTHING?

So quick to defend your absolutely fucking worthless and garbage OS, so quick to resort to "MANCHILD VIDYA GAMES"

It's so fucking obvious you people never use Linux to do anything productive, ever. Idiots.

>fps

>i know what i'm doing
Big words for someone who's running the community driver and complaining about lack of performance.

It's a bait thread or OP is just clueless about what he's doing.
My bet is the former.

opensource drivers suffer from 5-10% performance drop tops while offering much greater stability and kernel/xorg compatibility than whatever amd offers.

Oh and they aren't discontinued after a year after production

Why are you claiming that the third-party software and drivers made by proprietary hardware vendors represent the performance of the Linux kernel? Linux itself has really good performance on the hardware it actually supports. NVIDIA and AMD GPUs are not fully supported because they refuse to release documentation and refuse to help the Linux community write decent drivers. What they do with their own drivers is up to them. It is actually suprising that Linux devs made free drivers that are somewhat working, given they had to reverse engineer everything themselves.

Then you would be complaining to the company that sold you this multi billion dollar software and not on anonymous imageboard.

it's absolutely adorable when Sup Forumsedditors try to pretend to be employed and "working in profeshunal evnrionment that's why i need rgb keyboard backlight lol"

USE THE FUCKING PROPRIETARY DRIVER PROVIDED BY THE FUCKING VENDOR YOU FUCKING IMBECILE.

Your argument is literally analogue to me writing my own browser from scratch and then complaining about how shitty Linux is because the browser is shit.

So AMD open source is garbage then, you shoulda lways use closed source AMD driver, even in 2017?

It's mostly I thought they finally made the open source drivers not garbage...

>productive
>gaymen
ebin

I happen to use Linux on a lot of servers and infrastructure and it does its job really well. Never had serious performance issues that would have been solved by using wangblows

opensource drivers suffer from 5-10% performance drop tops while offering much greater stability and kernel/xorg compatibility than whatever amd offers.

Did you even read the OP you mong?
It's more like 90%
>werks for me :^)
gas yourself

Don't worry op, not everyone is intelligent enough to use Linux, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

>So AMD open source is garbage then, you shoulda lways use closed source AMD driver, even in 2017?
Yes

>It's mostly I thought they finally made the open source drivers not garbage...
You're mixing nouveau with

But for gaming, even with nvidia you should use the proprietary driver.

lol

amdgpu is literally opensource-radeon driver rebranded by AMD when they realized that whatever they've been putting on the table for Linux was pure distilled garbage.
amdgpu-pro will be optional (iirc) proprietary extensions running "on top of" amdgpu.
In theory you will be able to enjoy the stability and compatibility of amdgpu (the open source one) and the performance of proprietary drivers with amdgpu-pro extensions.

Unfortunately amd engineers for the last year have proven that theyre like clueless children in the fog when it comes to linux.

Because all I do is jerk off in a text editor.

What the fuck do you think the purpose of keeping the driver proprietary and closed is, if you think the open source driver would be just as good?

AMD's business model relies heavily on the driver being closed source.

OP Use AMDGPU-PRO then

Well
>clueless about what he's doing.
Guess the latter was right.

>AMD makes shitty drivers for Windows
"lol it's over AMD is finished, Nvidia! Nvidia! Nvidia!!!!!"

>AMD makes shitty drivers for Linux
"aaaarggh [autistic screech] why does Linuxfags think this is acceptable??????!!!"

Sup Forums in a nutshell

Then you would do your research first. Get an nvidia card and use the binary blobs. I've got a gtx980 and it works just fine on loonix

The problem is AMD, not linux. Deal with it.

>still not mentioning what distro/kernel/xorg/driver version you try to run
>still not mentioning what hardware configuration you tried to run
>still not mentioning what software you tried to run and encountered problems

Wanna know how I guessed youre just a clueless manchild?

This
>Get an nvidia card and use the binary blobs
And so much fucking this. Werks for me.

Didn't understand what you tried to convey here Poonjeet.

Could you stop quoting shitty memes from Sup Forumseddit and explain in a socially acceptable fashion what your problem with my post is?

>problem with my post is
Uh, what?

I didn't indicate there were any problems with your post. I was simply expanding on your post and indicating a problem with OP's attitude (and generalised: this board's attitude)

Catalyst packages are no longer offered in the official repositories. It is no longer updated by AMD and does not support the latest Xorg, so installing an old Xorg is required.

lol

Linux is not an operating system. We don't refer to Windows by saying NT because that would be technically incorrect, just as we don't refer to macOS as XNU.

Secondly, we don't have any clue what configuration you are using or what you are trying to do. Just GNU/Linux systems are generally customizable does not mean that everyone is going to know what you are doing wrong.

>"Could you stop quoting shitty memes and explain in a socially acceptable fashion"
>uses a racist Sup Forums - Sup Forums meme himself

fair enough then.

Works on windows and OSX?

>racist Sup Forums - Sup Forums meme himself
>Sup Forums
I actually started forcing the whole "windows users = smelly brown indians" meme on Sup Forums.
And I'm not a Sup Forums regular.

>AyyyMD hardware
Stop being poor, oh wait you are a street shitter, tough luck Rajesh.

I don't know what's worse, trying to take credit for a "may may" or actually admitting to making this board objectively worse by repeatedly posting a racist meme.

Guess I'm just a bigot.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Installing_the_driver

This is like an entire fucking day of intense work

Should I just not even bother? I'd probably get like 10 more fps LMAO

god damnit, linux

Fair enough

>being this poor

youtube.com/watch?v=0P-mG8s8Deg

uh ill just watch this?

Just download the install script from AMD's websites you fucking autist. It's literally a 5 minute process.

you can thank the archfags for tricking you into using one of the worst distributions available.

Other distributions do it with a single click of a mouse.

Stop buying shit hardware then, aren't you poor are you?

literally thinking about installing ubuntu and ditching arch, i'm just sick of it lol it was cool at first to learn how it worked, now it's just boring and frustratingly gay

yeah man, it's totally that simple. thats why they wrote an entire novel on the wiki page for it dude its so simple

you really think its that simple huh? you really think i can just go to amd.com and click the "install script" button

fuck you. idiot.

>AMD have released drivers for linux
>Amazing, works like a butter
>upgrade Xorg
>drivers are broken and wont work any more

Guys, you know what I love about Loonix? backwards compatibility, it's non-fucking existent.

>yeah man, it's totally that simple. thats why they wrote an entire novel on the wiki page for it dude its so simple
That's installing the driver from the unofficial repos, which is not the same fucking thing.

>you really think its that simple huh? you really think i can just go to amd.com and click the "install script" button
Well, Nvidia has an install script

I guess for AMD shit you need to find some tool to unpack RPMs or DEBs and then do it.

support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux

more than likely that is all complete bullshit and you need to follow the entire wiki page for a few hours, fail, try again, fail, google 25 different forums, go on the IRC for help, and MAYBE get drivers working after a day or 2 of torture

> Gnu/Linux

Just download the fucking RPM and use rpmextract you fucking autistic piece of shit. I even provided you the link.

If you spend more than 10 minutes doing this, which includes the fucking download time, you should do the world a favour and jump in front of a moving bus.

How's that fault of linux again?
Cause it's clear as day that AMD haven't done a very good job on their proprietary driver.

>nvidia doesn't like open source at all
>still manage to provide working proprietary drivers

>amd is all about how they love communist ideas
>proprietary drivers are garbage

l m a o.
guess where my money goes

What game what distro

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
xorg-server: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[zeeb@zeeb ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases...

> i don't even have Nvidia

wtf is arch doing

>still not mentioning what distro/kernel/xorg/driver version you try to run
>still not mentioning what hardware configuration you tried to run
>still not mentioning what software you tried to run and encountered problems

>just so you faggots can start a distro war or Implying distro
>just so you can laugh and say "LOL POORFAG SPEND $2000 ON A 2017 GPU"
>just so you can make fun of the game/program/

literally irrelevant. its clear the drivers just SUCK and installing the proprietary drivers are a god damn nightmare. telling you why I want to do this is pointless .

Talk about insecurities.

warning: cannot resolve "linux

They've abandoned the proprietary driver in favour of all open source software now. The open source driver has made amazing gaines in the last year, and is as good or better than the old prop driver. You guys really have no clue about the state of amd drivers on linux.
Ill support the company that supports free and open software. Fuck your binary blobs that you have no idea what they contain.

>They've abandoned the proprietary driver in favour of all open source software now.
amdgpupro will be proprietary.
if you want to shill, at least get your facts straight

Catalyst is dead you literal retard

ok dude

>Arch linux, kernel 4.9
> 6950 1gb phenom 2 955
>various steam games, Art of Illusion program, all shit performance, 7 Days to Die on steam shit performance

I get 10% of windows performance. my hardware is outdated, but it doesn't matter if i Get 10% of performance!!!!!!!!!!

anyway pretty sure I just broke arch trying to install propritary drivers, so i'll just install ubuntu now or something

>[zeeb@zeeb ~]$ sudo pacman -S catalyst-hook catalyst-libgl catalyst-utils acpid qt4
warning: qt4-4.8.7-12 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "linux

so you're telling me theres no way to have decent GPU performance on linux in 2017 with AMD

you're telling me this is literally pointless and I should just accept 10% of FPS on all programs

...and I just broke my arch setup of 1+ year for no reason?

kden

No, that's not at all what he is telling you. He's telling you that the software you're trying to install is deprecated and broken and that you should install up-to-date drivers and packages.

wait does this mean I need kernel 4.7 or lower to use this driver?

ok thanks, yeah I thought that. I thought that catalyst was broken and depreciated.

But thats the only options
>Open source driver is fucking shit and I get 10% fps/performance

>Propritary driver is broken and you literally cant install it without doing a dozen system hacks that will probably break as soon as you do Pacman -Syu

...so that IS what he's trying to tell me???

>wait does this mean I need kernel 4.7 or lower to use this driver?
That's exactly what the package manager suggests

glxinfo | grep direct

...so whats the current situation guys? AMD is broken on linux in 2017 CONFIRMED?

You know what that pro part means?
Its hard to understand how you don't know about amds recent drive for favouring open source drivers on gpus.

Go check it out man, open source amd is pretty fucking decent these days.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=openclose-amdnv-2017&num=1

>wait does this mean I need kernel 4.7 or lower to use this driver?
Yes

>>Propritary driver is broken and you literally cant install it without doing a dozen system hacks that will probably break as soon as you do Pacman -Syu
Just freeze the kernel version, jeez. You need to do this on Ubuntu too, unless you install from the repos.

[zeeb@zeeb ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_draw_instanced,
GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multi_bind, GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect,

what was the point of that

No, OP is just a retard and should probably stop using Arch Linux.

You really are extremely mis-informed about the poor performance of drivers. And why can't you just setup passthru in a vm? Do you not know how?

explain, genuinely curious how a 'non retard' could of made this situation better.

Please.

amdgpu will be the open source drivers.
amdgpu-pro will be the proprietary extensions running on top of amdgpu drivers to enable openGL, openCL and other hardware-accelerated features

>You really are extremely mis-informed about the poor performance of drivers

>i'm literally using first hand eye witness evidence of my own hardware

Maybe you think im talking about global hardware, which very well might be still true, but no I've only been talking about my current specific hardware setup...and it's 100% true

Just install Manjaro if you want arch for retards. It will install prop or free drivers automatically and steam just werks.

>I don't get it.
Then why do you post it? Sure, b8.

The output from your package manager literally tells you what is wrong. You're probably using a kernel which the AMD driver isn't linked against, and so the package manager is letting you know that.

Downgrade your kernel to some stable major release, freeze it (so it's not updated when you run whatever update command) and try again.

What setup.

ok buddy, atleast you've made me begin to read about downgrading my kernel and learning how to freeze it, admittedly things i havent really done before, okay? i'll probably break my system, but thats what arch is for i guess, learning new things.

Thats wrong tho. They just gave us open cl extensions in ROCm 1.4.

Go read the amd driver wiki you faggot.
It has all the answers to the problems and questions you have stumbled over the last few hours.

>amd driver wiki
literally says nothing about needling kernel 4.7> or how to downgrade my kernel or ANYTHING about that

what the fuck are you talking about ?

it just says something about building it for a custom kernel, not what I want

are you just talking bullshit to feel better about how you perceive yourself to be very smart and informed?