/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6828207/
Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

psdoom.sourceforge.net/
github.com/keymon/psdoom-ng
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
linux-training.be/linuxfun.pdf
ubuntu-manual.org/
debian-handbook.info/
slackbook.org/
www0.sun.ac.za/hpc/images/d/d5/Rute.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD8E3DDCC638180A5
gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf
minifree.org
linlap.com/
linux-laptop.net/
gnu.org/links/companies.html
fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>mfw all freetards in this thread are using google botnet captcha to post on a closed source proprietary software imageboard, creating a datamining digital profile for mass sale

Pay no attention to the troll. Play psDooM instead psdoom.sourceforge.net/

>pic
story?

so my wifi randomly stops working
it also just disappears from ifconfig

alternative link because someone is a pussy around here github.com/keymon/psdoom-ng

Thanks again user, that's pretty cool.

np

anybody have st configs?

yolo() {
# Kill a random process because life is short.
kill -9 "$(pgrep . | shuf -n 1)"
}

>linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>refers to bash as "The Linux Command Line"
>reads program infos with "command --help | less"
>compares integers with =
>teaches bash, uses [ instead of [[
>come up with stuff like: echo -n "Today's date is: "; date +"%A, %B %-d, %Y"
>thinks rm $TEMP_FILE is good practice
>uppercase variables
how about no

How is warning people to not infect their computers with shitware "trolling"?

Trump, is that you?

Link to useful links before someone feed the troll.

Here is a good book for beginners linux-training.be/linuxfun.pdf

What's wrong with reading the manpage for a command? Why do people need books for copy pasting commands?

>pdf
How bout no.Thats an open book for remote exploitation and callbacks

the commandline is dark, creepy and for basement dwellers

not a place where you want to be around, right

is for beginners you cunt

>implying

-_-

maybe you three are one and the same, fucking troll, I can't tell who is who here

Why are you still mad that you can't suggest a better book?
Do they not let you take out adult books at the library with your kiddie card?

I don't really give a shit what book goes into the OP, something is still better than nothing, and a lot better that a pile of /wg/ links that all references themselves anyway.
I guess it means the threads maintain the core essence of GNU: remain as inefficient as possible at all costs.

What if you don't know what command you should be using in the first place?
>You wouldn't need to learn that thing if you already knew the thing, idiot!!1!

>babby can't convert his pdfs

DL'd and checked a bit of the content. Doesn't look like there are bad advices (ignoring the usual GNU/Linux* problem).

Approved to be okish book.

>What if you don't know what command you should be using in the first place?
apropos

And how would you know to use that?

Gosh, it's like some people want to try new things and don't know much at all about them at first.

You read about it before hand

Do you just open up a car hood and get to work?

user, my experience is that there are bad advices everywhere, it's because people are using many different shells and have a different level of experience, then they write a book mirroring their current knowlege, which can help to understand a bit more, but may also teach bad practices

my advise: read all books, compare them and use the best practices

or just use C

I agree (except with the GNU part). There should be a quick and easy introduction at the OP.

The book is one of many others, but certainly is the easiest
ubuntu-manual.org/
debian-handbook.info/
slackbook.org/
www0.sun.ac.za/hpc/images/d/d5/Rute.pdf

Of course, those are too many to choose from, and maybe is necesseary some video tutorials like youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK

or the Hak5 series youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD8E3DDCC638180A5

apropos download
apropos archiv
not that difficult

Mention apropos in the OP won't be bad, but a book or a video introduction is still the best idea.

Why is nobody paying attention to OP's pic.

Fucking kek.

I dunno, did you read a mechanics manual start to finish before you first set foot in a car?

Maintenance isn't always planned, friendo.

Because stale memes aren't spicy enough.

While you're at reading books, get: Free Software, Free Society: Selected Essays of Richard M. Stallman (Third Edition)
DL: gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf

There is a huge difference from drving a car, to working on it.

There are various required tests and mandated hours spent in a car before you can legally drive one.
So yet again

saved

Why would it?
stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

>Why is nobody paying attention to OP's pic.
because there are 99% newfags ITT who don't know about the story

>(Third Edition)
I had the 2nd, updating right now.

Care to tell the story user?

boring crap, some user cracked his schools server and send message related to all parents

dem son, you think is boring but cracked a smile at my face

>There are various required tests and mandated hours spent in a car before you can legally drive one.

So you think people have to pass the test before they can drive?
Doesn't that test involve driving? Before they have passed?

Your argument seems to be that every person should predict every possible problem they are ever going to encounter, and read up on it before hand.

My argument is just keep a few general-purpose books/guides/whatever around in case shit happens, and learn as you go instead.

kek

That's the spirit.
>Don't do damage, but have fun.

actually a good advice there

do a reverse image search for the full story, afaik it's archived

My argument is you're a whining little bitch who would rather have everything be done for them then take a few minutes to look in to how to do things,or what commands would even be relevant in your use case

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

>what are network issues
>what are wifi firmware problems
>what is one of the most fucking common problems with new people trying out "muh freedoms" distros that lack non-free binaries

For someone who seems to be in favour of people educating themselves, it's pretty weird that you don't like books.

man, info and apropos are pretty fucking useless if you don't know what is wrong or what to look for.

I get it dude, you're smart. If only everyone could just be as smart as you, right?

Xubuntu

Speaking of adding things to the OP, I am okay with adding this book the first videos from here and also telling newbies to use apropos as the prime resource

if you're referring to user-friendly as retard-friendly:
>debian based:
bunsen labs (post crunchbang)
>arch based:
manjaro
if you're referring to actual user-friendlyness, stay away from any derviantes and get the real shit:
>debian
or
>arch
or even
>gentoo

anything else is more or less a meme where you will have fun as newb, but will leave it as soon as you gain some knowledge

Non-autism: Trisquel
Autism: Parabola
Normie: Ubuntu
Edgy teen: Arch
Basement dweller: Gentoo
Best of all worlds: Debian

>network issues
>"google network issues"
>"use this command"
>man command

>wifi firmware
>"google wifi firmware problems"
>"use this command"
>man command

I'm not a freetard i dont give a fuck what runs as long as it gets the job done.

You have no point and are crawling up some weird justice mountain that just dosent exist

install guixsd

Fucking nvidia... How can I fix screen tearing on Lubuntu?

Looks like the problem didn't get a solution in the last thread.

How to make a script run as root without asking for password? SUID seems only to work for binaries, not scripts, what do?

>>network issues
>>"google network issues"
Yeah sure, I'll just use the network connection that is down to find out what is wrong with it.

>I'm not a freetard
Correct, just a regular retard.

compton
>google
botnet

Use a compositing manager, just Xcompmgr will do the trick, but you may want something like Compton first.

You will use the network connection you used to download the ISO for the distro :^)

>Non-autism: Trisquel
stop recommending freetard distros that don't work for 99% of users

>I'm not a freetard
Stop memeing that work you cunt

>i dont give a fuck what runs as long as it gets the job done
free software actually guarantees the job gets done

Stop buying cucked hardware.

Tell me how well nouveau is working out

So you are a troll. Nice to know.

Trisquel user here, I had zero problems except for wifi, so I'm just using a cable because I'm a home anyway.

For anons who want a working wifi with free software, have a look at minifree.org for an adapter.

It's not that difficult to get full freedom, it takes just some reading documents and using/buying the right stuff.

thanks for the link

btw, links to recommended purchases should be on OP imho

or just use debian, the average is that you get a free system, deblobbed kernel, no nonfree software out of the box, but if you want to use a nonfree driver, you get it simply by adding the nonfree repo
best of both worlds

I have but most haven't. Recommending freetard distros will just give them a headache and make them hate Linux because shit won't work

>best of both
Well, let's change "best" to "most convenient".

Sup Forums doesn't allow shilling

>compton
I don't think it works

We (I) really need more stuff like this ITT. If you want to make some pasta about going full freedom, do it so we can add it to OP pasta collection.

Personally, I'm interested how to libreboot a laptop. I have no fucking idea what I am doing. Are there any tuts or do you want to write one?
Thanks.

At least a link to other links because I am like this guy Other links like, for laptops
linlap.com/
linux-laptop.net/

Or at least gnu.org/links/companies.html

It's somehow sad that the only legit (IMHO) free distros are currently Parabola and Trisquel, whereas Parabola is basically just Arch with a package that denies nonfree packages (completly retarded solution) and Trisquel being a freed Ubuntu. Why is there no free distro, not based on any nonfree distro?
Just use Debian, which always aimed for freedom, but doesn't make it difficult to install nonfree stuffs.

Look into Guix buddy.

I agree, let's do this. There is so much shilling on Sup Forums, some links to freedom hardware woun't hurt.

for using libreboot, ask in the thinkpad thread, most of them know how to do it or will link you a tut

Reminder:

Feb 06, 2017 06:00 PM Reykjavik, Iceland Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software: For Your Freedom and Privacy" (Reykjavik, Iceland)
Feb 08, 2017 05:00 PM Rennes, France Event Richard Stallman - "Libre Software; Libre Hardware Designs" (Rennes, France)
Feb 10, 2017 06:30 PM Berlin, Germany Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software, Your Freedom, Your Privacy" (Berlin, Germany)
Feb 13, 2017 06:30 PM Munster, Germany Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software, Your Freedom, Your Privacy" (Munster, Germany)
Feb 14, 2017 06:00 PM Cologne, Germany Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software, Your Freedom, Your Privacy" (Cologne, Germany)

>Feb 10, 2017 06:30 PM Berlin, Germany Event Richard Stallman - "Free Software, Your Freedom, Your Privacy" (Berlin, Germany)
HOREY SHAT

Info on local groups would be helpful.

got pasta from here: fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html

finally!

Reminder: GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being propriatary, yet printers are still propriatary. Richard Stallman has contributed literally nothing to the world.

man ls

>Berlin, Germany
>When Feb 10, 2017

>from 06:30 PM to 08:30 PM
>Where Berlin, Germany

>This speech by Richard Stallman will be nontechnical, admission is gratis, and the public is encouraged to attend.

>Location: Architekturgebäude, Technische Universität Berlin, Hörsaal A 151, Straße des 17. Juni 152, 10623 Berlin

I love you user.

man cat

Make sure it's properly connected and that you don't turn it off by hitting some key accidently.

Nice bait user, but witout RMS free software (and open source) wouldn't even be a thing and we'd still use windows.

Sure it would, someone else would have thought about it.
Same with the car

>Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie

freedom haters on suicide watch

>not using busybox
>using communist software

First, busybox is GPL. Second, kys memelord

found the Sup Forums illiterate
go read a book about communism
communism is when someone shoots your head
you can sell free software right away, "free" is not related to "gratis" nor to "everyone has to own the same amount of X"
tl;dr go back to school

Why would i spend years of my life creating a framework and programs within it just to give it away to some freetard who makes one patch to it, it gets denied, then forks it?

It dosent work in the real world

GPL is free as in free market, you're welcome

>bait
>fish

proprietary code is a monopoly, you are the communist here, retard

Atleast i can create and not just copy.

There is literally zero reason to not use proprietary software, and in fact, you are using it right now throughout your system, but you're too blinded to even know it

if you dislike free software, why are you using gnu/linux and browse this thread? gtfo

He is paid shill, as simple as that.

Shh, lets keep the illusion ;^)