/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for the i3-6100 in any build; same performance, half the price.
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
>Outdated, does not include info about 200 series chipsets

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hFsXFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/Hb8JRG
awd-it.co.uk/awd-z1-intel-i5-6400-3.3ghz-gtx-1060-6gb-ddr5-vr-gaming-pc.html?gclid=CL_Uiq3U1tECFWsq0wodQcMMwQ#null
au.pcpartpicker.com/b/4CBPxr
pcpartpicker.com/list/GV2VCy
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcF36_qMd8M
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vcNPYr
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Prt8XH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kaby Lake has been released! Skylake is depreciated if corresponding chips are similarly priced (e.g., i5 7600K vs i5 6600K)!
>Some motherboards will have a one-click, 5GHz on air OC button that works for 80% of i5 7600Ks
>100 series chipsets (Z170, B150, ect) don't work out of the box with Kaby Lake
>Z series chipsets have an "Enhanced Turbo", which allows all cores to run at the highest single core boost clockspeed (works for Skylake CPUs as well)
>Pentiums now have hyperthreading, and are thus the new default budget / entry level gaming CPUs
>Pentium G4560 is the best price / perf four thread CPU on a modern platform
>All Kaby Lake CPUs work natively with 2400MHz DDR4 memory
>Do not underestimate the impact of fast (>2400, e.g, 3000MHz) RAM in conjunction with a Z series chipset, which often provides as much of a performance boost as a CPU overclock

Who here has made the switch from ATX to ITX?

was it worth it?

If I'm using an air cooler, what's the best fan setup for my case?

2 intake 1 exhaust?

Talk me out of going for a Gsync monitor and 1080

Stop shilling this trash.

What do you think of my build?
>i5 6500
>RX 480
>8gb RAM
>Some MSI mobo
>Phantecks enthoo pro m
>A single 240gb SSD because I'm fucking poor and can't buy a second drive atm
And for the cherry on top
>a ten year old 19" TV that supports HDMI.

This is tangentially related
I have a mid 2012 13" macbook air with a damaged lcd panel
It's been like that for 3 years or so and the only problem is that there are like 4 black lines across the screen near the bottom edge
Is there a way to replace the panel with a panel from another laptop that has the same screen size?
Replacements go for $250 at least and that's an amount of moneybim not spending on a 5 years old laptop

why haven't you set up proper cooling?

You could buy a used car instead

Is this supposed to be impressive?
It looks like normal idle temps to me

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/hFsXFd

Is 60Hz Freesync a waste of time/effort?

you'd be surprised how many people here post with temps up to like 60c.

also my cpu is overclocked to 4.4ghz

>t. paid Intel shill
Fuck off.

Get a 1060.

Well some people think it's disrespectful to post temps at idle

here

Still struggling to get my GPU into my PCIe slot, has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? I had it working earlier today but when I installed my AIO it got nudged out and I haven't managed to get it to work again. ;_;

pcpartpicker.com/list/Hb8JRG

part list...

Yes it is. You're better off getting a 100+hz monitor, instead of limiting yourself for something that will just make it feel like you're playing at 75hz.

Get a $50 used 1080p monitor

Yes

Maybe this should be a good place to ask.

For how much should i sell 2 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM sticks?

Yeah that shit happens.. reseat mobo, possibly install gfx card before screwing in mobo

Unless you live in Serbia, just recycle them. Otherwise check sold listings on ebay

>Is 60Hz Freesync a waste of time/effort?

Yes. Get a 1070 and over 100hz monitor. Gsync at 60hz is fucking stupid as all it does the same thing as non-sync above 100fps/hz.

here's mine with prime95 26.6 running at 100% cpu for a few minutes

i'm using the corsair h60, never expected it to be this good

considering getting a built pc.

have a look.

spec it up and see how it compares to Sup Forums standards.

thinking

gtx 1070

16gb ram

..i have no idea how the exchange rate is?

awd-it.co.uk/awd-z1-intel-i5-6400-3.3ghz-gtx-1060-6gb-ddr5-vr-gaming-pc.html?gclid=CL_Uiq3U1tECFWsq0wodQcMMwQ#null

yes - needing sync tech at such a low level is stupid when you can just have a normal 100hz monitor which most cards can accommodate

and here is GPU running with Furmark at settings much more intensive than any of my games.

struggling with ways to cool my gpu lately (it always sticks around 50-60 when gaymen) but for now it will do. once it starts hitting 70's is when I feel uncomfortable.

>can't choose the mobo

It'll still look like 60hz, freesync will just make it so that less-than-60Hz will look like less-than-60hz, instead of like complete fucking trash

yeah im expecting thats not the only trade off.

close window, i dont want my flu to get worse. also HDDs like ~45C to live longer

Have you overclocked it yet? I didn't in the pic I posted, but now that my 6600k is 4.5GHz I idle at 30-40 and top out at 70°
My 1070 (overclocked to 2.1GHz) hits 70° after an hour or two fairly often, do you have a fan profile you can change? Changing "stock" fans to "turbo" fans really helped my gpu temps
I don't believe 70 is bad for a GPU though, I think 80 is even still fine

1080p/144hz freesync monitors are more affordable than anything with gsync, in fact 1080p+144hz freesync monitors are priced the same as normal 1080p+144hz monitors, if you're feeling peer pressured into buying something better.
you'll still enjoy a superior AMD+freesync set up over a nvidia+no gsync set up if you decide to get the 60hz monitor.

If you're struggling to keep 60fps @ 1080p then get a better GPU altogether.

nice video game consoles

Well he should just get a 1070 and a 120hz monitor.

Problem solved.

The whole Sync meme is retarded gaymur shit.

>tfw APU laptop with freesync
>tfw 25fps isn't actually that bad

yes i have overclocked it. on a warmer day it idles around 25-28c.

i'll try that with the fans. i do like having a quiet pc though. have you noticed much difference overclocking your gpu?

only problem being no AMD cards ca hit 144fps unless you gimp the graphics settings like the poorfag you are

CANADIANS:

DO NOT BUY FROM DIRECTCANADA!

not to mention nvidia are fucking kikes that charge extra for it and it's just a software lockout to prevent everyone from having it

Why aren't mAtx boards more popular? Most people don't use more than 2 slots.

exactly why i said he should just get the freesync 60hz monitor. but i know /pcbg/ is full of nvidia cock gobblers so you'll do anything to convince him not to buy AMD.

Not too much but I never had "almost enough fps" so I didn't pay attention to the gainz quite as much. I feel like I gained maybe 5-20 fps depending on the game. The temps didn't change much at all from stock, aside from the 60° top changing to a 70° top. To be honest though I think I could OC my GPU even more, I never got any errors while testing and overclocking it, I just stopped at 2100mhz because online people are even having troubles reaching 2100mhz; I don't think my $380 1070 just happened to win the silicon lottery, but I don't know why there aren't any errors, so I just left it at 2.1GHz

>freesync 60hz

or he can just get a 1060 or a 1070 and a 100+hz monitor that isn't garbage

limiting yourself to 60hz for a meme is so fucking stupid

Will the gtx 1080 get a price cut?

When and how much?

>getting a 1060 when you could get a 480

how butthurt do you have to be to make that image
I mean I understand consolefags fighting because of exclusives, but this is literally poorfags being mad because objectively better shit is more expensive

I agree, there's just way too many good 1080p/60fps cards to justify free/gsync at 60hz
At the higher end, where you might get 60fps and you might get 144fps depending on the game, that's where it's worth it

>was it worth it?

i can fit my PC in my entertainment shelf so yeah, i thought it was worth it for my situation.

when it comes to monitors i have no idea what to do. so what would be the best one for this build?

>getting a 480 when you can get a 1070

>or he can just get a 1060
same performance as an rx 480, even worse, and freesync 1080p/144hz freesync monitors cost the same as non freesync ones. do you expect him to pull money out of his ass? give him realistic advice you fucking mong.

Are the performances gains worth the cost from a g 4560 vs i5 7400/7500? Mainly for gaming.

March 8th at 7:43 PM EST, a single EVGA 1080 will be cut by $160 on Amazon
You didn't hear this from me

>or he can just get a 1060 or a 1070

nah just a 1070

480 outperforms the 1060

>buying anything but a titan x

link to specific vid? this guy is great

Is 2 slots better than 4 when it comes to ram? I remember reading somewhere, whether it was here or somewhere else, that using 2 slots is better.

Yes get a 1070 instead of a 480 for 1080p goyim

>passmark

whats wrong with passmark?

2>1
2=4
Unless you're using X99, then 4>2

but if you're on a budget where a lower end amd card is available, then freesync at 60hz is ideal

that's what it was meant for

gsync for poorfags

amd has always been for poors

And 4=8 for X99 too
But don't worry about it too much because DDR3=DDR4

Get 2x 8GB RAM
GTX 1070
1440p 144Hz Gsync

Not in my opinion as long as you're using a 1060/480 or less

You're thinking of dual channel

it's user benchmarks which means there will be all kinds of fucking hardware combinations, bottlenecks guaranteed being included in the results, thus it's not reliable for anything where you want to prove shit.

if you want to post something reliable, post results from a test where they only switched one component (in this case the GPU) and everything else in the system was the same.

i've already got everything
the 1080 is a monster

all i need is a good monitor

>i don't see why anyone would buy the 1070 when you can have a 1080 for just a couple hundred dollars more.

au.pcpartpicker.com/b/4CBPxr

>bottleneck

fucking how

Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/GV2VCy

I understand that an i5 could accomplish everything I need but if I'm dropping ~1500-2000 bucks on a new computer I want it to be as beefy as I can get it.

Passmarks GPU benchmark is not dependent on loading your CPU, it can isolate the GPU performance and I'm sure none of those systems used actually have a hardware bottleneck
Maybe now you'll understand that bottleneck doesn't mean what you think it means like I've been telling this thread for weeks
I will agree passmark as well as all crowd-sourced benchmark generators is shit, but not because a GPU-specific benchmark was used on different systems

>for instance puts the buldozer cpu ahead of the i5 2500 but most would agree the i5 2500 is a better cpu.

it's pants on head retarded because it doesnt measure actual performance.

freesync is universally praised as the better option, and scales all the way up to 144Hz. but by all means, give your shekels to Nvidia for an inferior product if it makes you feel "rich".

He means that while his GPU can get 300fps in witcher, his CPU can only get 90, making him only get 90fps while having not-maxed GPU usage
That's what most people think bottleneck means. Hardware bottlenecks or permanent bottlenecks of any kind hasn't been a thing in the last 8 years of desktop systems

so basically he's an idiot

>universally praised as the better option
>can't do multi monitor
>can't do border less window
>much smaller fps range than gsync
>often botched up by cheap monitor manufacturers
But I mean it's $100 cheaper, right? And Free?
That's what really matters

>freesync is universally praised as the better option,

Only because it's cheaper and better implemented. Gysync is just needlessly overpriced. The problem with Freesync at 144hz is that no AMD card can reach that on decent detail settings. And if you're going for 60hz Freesync, you're better off just going over 100fps/hz.

tl;dr freesync is only praised because gsync is a failure

>Some benchmarks are more useful than others. sites like cpuboss, gpuboss, passmark, and cpu-world do not provide an accurate picture of the performance you are going to see from the hardware they compare.
>This is especially true for gaming related benchmarks. When you are looking at benchmarks, you should look for comparisons that run actual games on comparable systems. Anandtech and tomshardware are trustworthy sites and their comparisons are valid.

>That's what really matters
no this also matters: youtube.com/watch?v=ZcF36_qMd8M

are all 144hz 1440p monitors the same

>that video

literally a poorfag complaining he can't afford nvidia cards

I think 3 out of the like 5 1440p/144hz monitors on the market use the same panel
But to play games on a screen like that you'll want either gsync or some ballin-ass GPU

>nvidia trying to push gaming forward
>amd holding it back

does a gtx1080 qualify as ballin-ass

>philip
>poorfag
also nice fallacy

more like novidya hindering it and hampering the competition

Whats the best m.2 nvme drive out right now?

You might want a better cooler and faster ram. Also why the sound card? A sound card that cheap isn't going to sound better than your on board audio.

No what you have is a balls-in-ass GPU

Samsung 960 Pro.

o rly, then i should be set

My current system has bullshit buzzing with onboard audio. I just threw the sound card in to guarantee I won't have it in the new system.

you think its really wroth $329?

Yeah you are, just be sure to break the news about your homosexuality to your parents gently

i'll break the news in 1440p @ 100fps on ultra

Not that user, but you did ask for best. That's performance, not value.

No. But that's not what you asked.
I'd look for the cheapest 950 pro, or SM951 (the NVME version)
Really outside of Samsung there's not many NVME drives worth buying, I fell for the Intel 600p meme, it's slightly faster than SATA but a 950/960/951 fucking blows it away
If you don't care about NVME, I wouldnt get one really, SATA ssds are plenty fast

you should go with the crucial 250gb, that's your best bet.

you're losing around 1/10000 of a second in performance but you're saving about a hundred bucks

True but I thought it would be like $200 not $329 but it is the best. How is the performance ratio to value?

>How is the performance ratio to value?
You can figure that shit out for yourself. Find the read/write speed per dollar.

Nvidia is slimy but it's the best we have right now.

A 1070/1080 with a Gsync monitor probably costs more than it should because AMD can't keep up, but it's also the best experience you're going to get. You're paying a premium, but it's worth it in the end if you love high-end gaming.

Yes, it theoretically COULD be cheaper if life didn't suck, but here we are. The tech world is always about giving your asshole up for the shiny gadget.

If a nice PC means a lot to you, and you're smart enough to not tack on MUH GAMING LED RAM, you can have the top experience without paying an EXTREME amount.
With any tech, only buy it if you're going to get a lot out of it. For many of us in this thread and on Sup Forums, we likely will.

WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vcNPYr

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Prt8XH