en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_interrupt_call
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What was the correct answer?

Looks like System BIOS

>Select two answers
Congrats, you are an idiot.

>Select two
>selects only one
Maybe you're just not cut out for a job that doesn't pay minimum wage. Don't forget the pickles on my burger.

are you fucking dumb m8?

do you know what a fucking driver is? do you know when a driver is loaded?

>hardware
>bios
>os
>drivers
>programs

review the fucking layers you scrub. it's the most basic shit.

Is this a real test? i just took a practice test and got an 89% without trying

>he didn't know
user please

The question revolves around "What helps the OS communicate with hardware" which is what a Driver does

no, the real test costs $400

Windows isn't the only OS in existence. Guess how DOS worked.

Thats pretty extraneous, rather that'd be an exception. A test in this day and age would most likely talk about modern operating systems.

you're a jackass OP I'm required to take the A+ course for my minor and it's nothing but questions like this; plain ass common sense literally don't even try and have a 100%.

I don't know, who's supposed to do this test? DOS is still used in embedded/industrial areas.

Yea but not a common consumer product anymore. Windows 2000 was the last Windows OS to have DOS. Sure there are special versions made for things like cash registers, vending machines and other shit but still extraneous IMO

No the A+ test talks about hardware, Windows 8.1 and knowledge of DOS.

t. guy who's going through it right now

You did not answer my question.
And no, Win2k was NT based. You're thinking of ME.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#Operating_system_services

"The fundamental purposes of the BIOS in modern PCs are to initialize and test the system hardware components, and to load a boot loader or an operating system from a mass memory device. The BIOS additionally provides an abstraction layer for the hardware, i.e., a consistent way for application programs and operating systems to interact with the keyboard, display, and other input/output (I/O) devices.
In modern personal computers running modern operating systems the BIOS is used only during booting and initial loading of system software."

still required knowledge for the test, if you want to do MS support DOS is a part of it. Legacy is a bitch and a hallmark of Microsoft.

Learn it or take a different path in life m8

>A+ still talks about DOS

jesus christ when I took it in 2012 they didn't mention anything about XP, only Vista and 7

>still talks about DOS despite there being virtually no DOS applications at all
>new comptia shit doesn't talk about vista anymore at all

DOS is not the windows cli nor is it included on the exam objectives

I'm taking the Microsoft approved A+ course right now (which ends in the cert.) and sorry to say that DOS CMD is still the most used command line on Windows (powershell is getting there.)

The test covers knowledge of Windows 7 and 8.1 along with knowledge of the DOS CMD.

Also at work I have to maintain a few DOS systems for a couple bankers still using dos programs.

>Microsoft approved A+ cert
oh I see, so its not sponsored by Comptia or Cisco that makes sense that they'd talk about DOS and stuff

>He sources Wikipedia over an organization specifically made for vendor neutral IT certification
Alright you little shit. Listen closely. Despite what you may think, an OS CAN use the BIOS to talk to the hardware on a PC. There are things called BIOS interrupts, and in fact, a BIOS interrupt is the ONLY RELIABLE way to get the amount of RAM on a system, which works all the way down to the intel 8086 and the IBM PC.

Here's a little link from Wikipedia since you seem to like it so much.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_interrupt_call
>For IBM's part, they provided all the information needed to use their BIOS fully or to directly utilize the hardware and avoid BIOS completely, when programming the early IBM PC models (prior to the PS/2). From the beginning, programmers had the choice of using BIOS or not, on a per-hardware-peripheral basis. Today, the BIOS in a new PC still supports most, if not all, of the BIOS interrupt function calls defined by IBM for the IBM AT (introduced in 1984), along with many more newer ones, plus extensions to some of the originals (e.g. expanded parameter ranges). This, combined with a similar degree of hardware compatibility, means that most programs written for an IBM AT can still run correctly on a new PC today, assuming that the faster speed of execution is acceptable (which it typically is for all but games that use CPU-based timing). Despite the considerable limitations of the services accessed through the BIOS interrupts, they have proven extremely useful and durable to technological change.

Fuck off, shut up, put the pacifier back in your mouth and accept when people who know more than you are talking. Either that or don't forget the pickles on my burger.

Yeah that one in particular is Microsoft, the Cisco class is not as easy (but doesn't focus on Microsoft at all.)

Not sure about CompTIA desu

CompTIA is more universal in its A+ test, focusing on all parts of the computer

Well I mean I had hardware focuses A+ last semester; this semester deals with the software (easy af.)

A+ in general requires knowledge of the hardware and the last 2 versions of Windows; plus the cmd which is just a reimplementation of the dos cmd atop NT.

>vendor neutral
LOL good one, retard

How is the A+ not vendor neutral? I mean yeah it kinda puts a little emphasis on Microsoft but there's mobile OS, OS X, and some Linux knowledge on the test.

Yeah, very little but there is Linux, Android and iOS knowledge required as well (although the emphasis right now is Windows 7 and 8.1)

It's what can be used, not normally used.

UEFI was a good idea on paper

>The BIOS additionally provides an abstraction layer for the hardware, i.e., a consistent way for application programs and operating systems to interact with the keyboard, display, and other input/output (I/O) devices.
There ya go. You still failed at your answer choice either way.

>i've never written boot sector code: the post

EFI is a fucking life saver, no longer do we have to write 16 bit code, jump to 32 bit and then finally to 64 bit. No longer is assembler needed to boot the PC.

EFI is based af; there is no other alternative

>A test in this day and age would most likely talk about modern operating systems.

When I took a test in 2008 for some accredited computer user certification, one of the questions was "what is the purpose of a math co-processor". As in, the x87 floating point co-processors you could put in next to a 286, 386, or some 68k models.

Test like these are seriously out of date.

Also, technically even a modern OS uses the BIOS to communicate with hardware. For example with hard drives. It gets a bit blurry there since the OS merely uses built-in drivers, but technically it still does it that way.

>select 2 answers
you're a fucking moron, OP

A driver is normally used to communicate with hardware

Without a BIOS the driver wouldn't be communicating with shit.

What about a UEFI?

it really uses EFI (which is just a better BIOS) but it still uses interupts to communicate through with the bus.

UEFI is just a standard for the EFI protocol

i made an 87 and didn't even try LOL i can't believe people pay money for these certifications

>Test like these are seriously out of date.
The x87 co-processor instructions are STILL built into CPUs toady, yes there are more efficient instructions like SSE are available but knowing the origin and use of x87 instructions is still crucial to anyone in development or support of ancient hardware.

I knew that was coming, quit being so fucking pedantic. *Without firmware

the point is that back then they were like GPU's are now

The test was asking about the actual co-processor that had its own socket, not the floating point math capabilities of modern cpus.

Ehhhhhhhhhh it could still be argued you should know that. Yeah it's pretty outdated and any company still supporting systems with physical x87 co-processors deserves to have it's shit fucked but I mean the name of the game in IT is knowledge. The more ancient hardware you know the more valuable you could possibly be. If it really was just a general "computer user" certification I can see it being outdated.

Anything could be argued.

I still won't hurt you to know

Don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No more

The answer is Command Line because you don't reach the BIOS through the OS. You use BIOS to communicate outside the OS.

Hmm...

The OS doesn't use the CLI to communicate with the hardware, you use the CLI to communicate with the OS.

>Don't even work in IT, in college for business
>Never heard of A+ in my life
>Get 78% first try
user, make an attempt.

where are you taking these tests at?

Search "a+ practice test"

nvm i found it

shut up. Now.

so is this A+ test a windows test because there are a lot of windows questions and references to windows.

if these practice exams reflect the actual exam then this certification is piss easy. i don't even use windows.

my score

Can anyone confirm if this practice exam is anything like the real one?

I took A+ around the same time and there were still questions on how to properly set up IRQs. I guarantee 97% of the people in this thread don't know what those are without Googling