/ap/ Apple General

/ag/ Apple General

First General In Years Edition

/ap/ Apple General is about discussing past, present, and future apple products as well recommending replacement parts and upgrading existing apple products.

>Recommended used Macbook Pro:

Any 2008-2011 Used Macbook Pro
Early 2009 or Mid 2010 Mac Pro
2012 IPhone 5

>Replacement Parts for Apple Products

dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Parts-c-2827_238.html
macpartsonline.com
commandmacparts.com

>Recommeded Apple Stores to buy new or used Apple and Mac Products

macofalltrades.com
macconnection.com
eshop.macsales.com
refurb.me/en-us

>Apple News
9to5mac.com
macrumors.com/
appleinsider.com

Apple Products NOT recommended to buy new or used

>Any 17" Macbook Pro
>2013 Mac Pro
>2015-2016 Macbook
>Any 11" Macbook Air (Used or New)

If you are interested in buying old vingate apple products, Ebay, Craglist, OfferUp, LetGo are good places to buy, sell old vintage.

>DON'T GO OVER $1000 WHEN BUYING OLD VINGTAGE MAC UNLESS ITS MINT OR NEAR MINT OR RARE APPLE PRODUCT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I_CuRLeAEdE
everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hmm, I've been wanting to get an iPhone 4s for a while. I like its design, the clean iOS, and also that it uses a sturdy 30-pin cable, which would save me the hassle of swapping cables since this is what I use with my ipod music player.

However it is a half decade old.
Is the 4s a good idea in 2017?

dear /ag/, what are the odds that Apple might update MacPro in the next 3-4 months? I'm not sure whether I should build a hackintosh or wait...

Just build a Hackintosh with the recommended components, apples on giving the shit about the prosumer anymore just look at the MacBook Pro

IPhone 4s would be mostly good for Shitposting, emailing, Taking Calls, and it has a lightweight OS so yeah try to get it but at a good price

>like $80-130

Build the hack, built mine in mid-2015. Running strong, far less downtime than my windows machine. Overclocked to 4.5ghz, dead silent, its so good i got rid of the gaymen windows parition and now im 100% macOS in my house since i don't play manchild games anymore

Pro-tip: Create a bootable copy with carbon copy cloner in case SHTF.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

What do you guys recommend I go with: ATI or Nvidia 9xx card?

>recommending Core 2 Duo
>recommending models prone to GPU failure

You do realize only extremely mentally ill people (i.e. homosexuals) use macos right?

I'm buying a new mouse for use with a Mac. Recommendations?

ps: just report, don't reply to trolls. mods are clearly doing their job and are clearing it up.

>Any 2008-2011 Used Macbook Pro
WROOONG

DO NOT BUY 32bit shit
Please kill you're are self

Also do not make us look like fags by recommending the fucking Macbook Air

Apple had updating drivers for ATI Polaris cards, so try go for then or wait for NVIDIA to release Apple drivers for there 10xx cards

This.

You're in the wrong place. You're looking for /r/eddit.

t. gaymen winshill

I produce electronic music, macOS is 10 times more stable running fuck off sized projects. Ableton crashes like a motherfucker on windows. I produced under windows for like 5 years before i went full OSX. I needed some fucking retarded ASIO4ALL driver to make my audio not go to shit every 5 mins with a pro DAC.

There is a reason why you'll find a Mac in every professional studio. Low latency audio kernel.

It just werks when its time to get shit done.

5 years ago if anybody made an apple anything thread they were laughed at and got saged into oblivion.

What the fuck happened.

Should I replace my housefire throttling piece of shit macbook pro with an XPS15 or a custom Sager?

What's the last MacBook or MacBook Pro with a real keyboard? This chicklet shit is terrible, I will NOT buy a chicklet keyboard laptop.

Yes.
Light usage without too much strainous multitasking and clean use with only apps you need should work just fine.
Be a little patient with the animations and application switching though, as it isn't necessarily slow, but hammering your fingers on it like it were a OP3 will give you hard time

Get a 980ti(or lesser maxwell cards) and call it a day, the nvidia drivers haven't been updated and we don't even know if they will continue to be updated for 1000 series.

ATI cards need stupid framebuffer edits to get display ports working properly since the ATI cards in iMacs are mobile GPUs with 1 output which is the LCD in the machine.

Idk, if you are willing to modify the kexts, deal with a bunch of extra bullshit and some comprimises you might be able to get a better card with ATI.

Nvidia is literally boot one time with the video card disabled and then install drivers and away you go.

None.

Gays aren't mentally ill though. Trannies and traps are

apple magic mouse 2 or magic trackpad, how is this even a question

No, giving up the legit trackpad is not even worth it.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 17 inch thinkpad since Apple dropped the 17 inch macbook but not having trackpad would kill me. The gestures are just too good.

They aren't 32-bit shit though.
The last 32-bit only macbook was made in 2006/2007

SAGER
A
G
E
R

>trackshit

I just got macOS 10.12 running in a VM and it works great. I don't really have a use for it though.

Does Wifi itunes sync still fucking suck dick and unreliable? I would love to be able to plug my phone in at night and have it sync and backup and call it a day. Im sick of having to remember to plug my phone into my hackintosh to sync and backup my iphone every now and then.

Nice blog fag.

You seem to be lost buddy, no prob, I'll help you out since I'm such a nice guy.

No need to thank me.

El capitan master race here

muh fusion drive

nani?
you mean sierra is worse?

Also if a Macbook doesn't have at least a multitouch trackpad, it won't run Sierra or newer.

Should you be back trying to fuck your stallman waifu pillow while you tried to Shitpost on your two inch thicc laptop

/thread

I will never forgive apple for dropping my black macbook for upgrades

>nani?
what

yes sierra is much worse. i keep hearing of problem after problem

How's shitposting from mommys macbook, nigger?

Honestly Mavericks runs best on my non-Retina Mac, but just look up the Geekbench 3 scores for your model and see what scores best

Shouldn't you be updating facebook at starbucks and sucking off your boyfriend while your overheating throttlebook keeps your tall double shot mochachino hot?

pffft el capitan was terrible. yose is the best one since 10.6

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

All these wincucks and linfags not using the most modern comfy master race OS

kek

I'm not gay, so using a Computer equivalent of having a cock up my ass 24/7 is not what I call comfy.

MACFAGS BTFO

BIG
BLACK
PAD

>normies use macbooks at starbucks
REEEE THIS OS IS FOR FAGGOTS

Just dropping in here to say that if you want a rMBP, get the early 2013 or late 2013 models. The later ones have problems with their fans spinning up too late and getting their CPU throttled due to overheating. The earlier ones have some other hardware defects.

Prior to ios7 it was fantastic, I recently refurbished my old one and although hardware wise it's still usable iOS 9.3.3 which is the last supported version I believe runs like crap, If apple let you revert to iOS 6 it would be great but they gimped it.

>2007-2011
>exploding batteries everywhere

>2012-2013
>gpu solder cracks and kills entire laptop

>2014-2015
>throttling overheating trash

>2016+
>zero key travel meme actually becomes real, no ports, and dongle hell

Why don't they just rename it the Cuckbook?

What?
The OS is 64-bit only and so is the hardware

Apple has been making artificial limitations now.
It no longer matters if yours have a full compatible 64-bit UEFI and CPU, if it's a model Apple doesn't want to support, you're not installing shit, unless if you want to hackintosh your Mac.

MACTODDLERS

CuCKED

AGAIN

what's a sub 13 " mac?

screen diagonal less than 13 inches (inch is an old length measure)

Footlongs. They're usually $5.

>Company that fucks it's users, produces non-free devices and software, hires shills that lie to you on forums, deletes your pirated music. If this means nothing to you, than I can say that what they produce works much worse than shills tell everyone.
youtu.be/I_CuRLeAEdE

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

The only recommended macbook pro is the mid-2012 13" model.

>thick, has good battery life and good keyboard
>has USB 3
>can install a second hdd
>can upgrade ram
>no dedicated gpu to fail

>produced until late 2016, it was just so good
>literally the thinkpad of macbooks

Throttling 800mhz trash.

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF

Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh I was not expecting that�that little gust my dear�.you caught me off guard�yes�so gentle it was though�hmmmm�let me taste this little one�just one small sniff�..sniff�ah�.ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff�and yet�so strong�yes�the odor�.sniff sniff�hmmm�.is that�.sniff�.hmmm�.I can almost taste it my dear�..yes�.just�sniff�.a little whiff more if you please�..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff�ah yes I have it now�.yes quite�.hhhhmmmm�delectable my dear�..quite exquisite yes�..I dare say�sniff�.the most pungent one yet my dear�.

Samefag.

Calling all dualbooters.

How do I install a small linux install on a memory stick that will work with the built in uEFI? I want to avoid refit and installing grub or other bootloaders on the main SSD of the computer.

I know it works by default with Fedora, but I'd be happier with a debian derivative.

Rate my shitstation guys. 2011 MBP and an iPod 5 30GB are the only Apple products I own.

You need a distro that supports EFI. Xubuntu works fine on my MacBook. Use Unetbootin.

cool station, congrats

MACFAGS

LEL WHY ARENT YOU USING A THINKPAD YOU AUTISTIC FAGGOTS

the fucks wrong with your keycaps?
If you want it on something external you need refind
Macs wont show linux under the boot menu
you can force the efi to have a linux distro as the default boot device, but that's not a good idea for something thats removable that you probably wont use very often.
>2012
>800mhz
>13"
>throttling
clearly you have no idea what you are talking about
1. no 2012 macbook pro can even run at 800mhz. 1.2ghz is the minimum ivy bride can run at
2. the 13" doesn't throttle under load.
Shit that thing doesn't even really get that hot
the only 2012 that throttles is the retina 15"
non retina can throttle if you keep turbo boost on and it's hot out, but with turbo boost off it never throttles.
literally the top comment on the video
>I contacted Apple Support today. They told me this was expected because the MBP has magnets and that I should build a base, perhaps out of a cardboard box, if I want to set my laptop under the display.
it's the magnets making the laptop think it's screen is opening then closing which puts it to sleep.

>the fucks wrong with your keycaps?
I replaced some of them with white ones from a really old MacBook.

I know that much, and I have no problem making a memory stick that is a bootable installer. I can't figure out what I need to do to make a permanent Xubuntu installation bootable from the memory stick though.

(In case there is any confusion, I have two memory sticks mounted on the computer, one that I'm running the bootable installer from and one that I want to make a permanent install on.)

Just formatting it and following the default GUI installer doesn't install the correct boot manager by default.

stickers came in boys

Really wanted to give Macs a try, but they fucked the 2016 rMBP and spending £1000 on a 2015 rMBP that's already dated doesn't feel right.

Is it even worth it at this point or should I just get a modern Thinkpad?

Get what looks good, but don't fall for the apple meme like I did. My 2014 MBP is a housefire waiting to happen and I already had to go through a ton of bullshit including a chargeback to get these fuckers to service an in-warranty battery bloating.

What all these paid apple shills won't tell you when they say "oh yeah ok, that one year was bad, so get this year model" is that the ENTIRE model range from 2013-2016 used Haswell, and uses the same shitty near useless cooling system because apple knows their cucked fanbase can't read specs.

Posted from my Throttlebook mid-2014.

For your recommended MBPs you're forgetting about the mid-2012 MBPs that are non-retina. I believe they are only ones that have usb 3.0. Really sought after machines in comparison to the recent solder shit that Apple pushes these days.

everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

You put stickers on your belongings? Are you 10 years old?

Why do you think they're called mactoddlers?

I got the baseline MBP. I'm worried about the processor though. How much slower is it than last years model? It's only 2 GHZ. Feeling a bit of buyers remorse, although my experience with it so far has been nice. I actually enjoy the keyboard. I chose it because I really wanted a real escape key. It was so expensive though, 2000 Canadian. Our currency differences are pretty large though so it was like 400 dollars more than in America.

Kek

I am curious, what does a macbook have to offer if we compare it to a jailbroken ipad with a bluetooth keyboard?

>Why do you think they're called mactoddlers?
Because they use asset tags?
And your PC arrived with no stickers, right?
I have news for you.

at least the stickers I put on my machine are mine and aren't ads for the cpu/gpu

HEY YO

>t. mactoddler

So I draw using various cintiq's, it's my career. I've been on my busted old Windows PC for a while, and I'm aware of the "macs are for artfags" meme. My question is, all the drawing tablets I use need an HDMI connection, but all I see on the backs of newer iMacs is a thunder bolt connector. What the hell is thunderbolt? Not even the newer tablets use this (unless its another name for an existing port type), so unless I'm missing something, is an iMac not for art?

Why aren't you using nightshift yet?

this general used to be friendly

Imac has always been trash. Get a Surface Studio.

is it out of beta?

>this general used to be friendly
hit the report button on trolls.

What are some cool things I can do on Mac that I can't do on anything else? Brand new Mac user.

Attract fuccbois at starbucks.

nothing really, and this is good that all OSes have the same unlimited power

I wondered myself the same thing actually, it seems that there is a way to get it back to 6, although it is tedious and looks like it takes around a half hour to do.
Which isn't too bad. My worry though, would be the usability of a half-decade old OS.

why would i? f.lux will have way more options than nightshift ever will. I bet nightshift will have 1/2 the spectum compared to f.lux

The only option f.lux has that nightshift doesn't is a third temperature level. And what do you mean "half the spectrum"? Color temperature is not the same as color spectrum.