/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00WP67G5Y/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC7069&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Master Race

is this a real audio player or just something made in a prop department?

>shilling plebbit
>shilling your own shitty yt channel
kys

Sony voice recorder

thanks. looks pretty cool

I got dt770s pro 250Ω and I'm just wondering whether or not I need to buy an amp for them, or replace them for a lower impedance model i.e. 80Ω ? They sound alright for metal and such music (250Ω w/o amp that is), but I'm curious since I'm not impedance savvy.

I don't think you get the meme
he's bashing those things

yes

what's wrong with z reviews

Hello, Steven C.

It alters the voltage sensitivity between the models. It's more likely that you need an amplifier if you choose one of the higher impedance models because you will need more power(voltage) to drive them. The impedance alone doesn't tell you anything important about the requirement for amplification. And even if you know the headphone's voltage sensitivity, the answer to you question depends on how much power is your current gear able to provide as much as the load. If you don't want to worry about the amplification, get one of the low impedance versions.

That guy is so utterly retarded to record how the headphones sound and upload the videos. Also, it's more of a shill than an actual reviewer since he praises everything he touches.

he rambles on endlessly without really saying anything, theres no insight to what he says, he never has a point. and he doesn't like my favorite headphones

What's the longest coiled headphone cable out there? Either 1/4" or 3.5mm, ideally male-to-male.

A friend is coming back from Japan on Monday and he's bringing me a pair of IdolMasters. Can't wait! Anyone own a pair?

this is funny

Riina is shit.

is SONY MDR-7506 still worth picking up in 100$ price range or is there a better choice?

check op for purchase advice

I'm letting my shure 535 meme-in at the moment.

The box was made to make sure you cant return them in bought condition. Real jew move.
And the stock earplugs are on there really fucking hard, was afraid I'd break them.

Watching movies and listening to music is pretty much it. Also if cables are detachable, it would be better if they were easy to disconnect, but not super loose.

>Budget
At the most $110 dollars
>Location
United States
>Source
My phone(Samsung Galaxy S7 edge). (On a side note the, I both do and don't regret falling for the samshit edge meme)
>Type of headphone
Any kind that is comfy, won't make me look like an autist, good (sound and build) quality for the price range, and Definitely IEM and not over or on-ear
>Comfort level
Has to be Pretty comfy, will be wearing them for long periods of time.
>Sound signature
Not really sure, I'm a newbie audiophile. If there are any you would recommend, go right on ahead.
>Past headphones
My SE215 IEMS just broke because even after doing what the site said, the cord ripped because I can't muster up 20 to 30 pounds of force to pull off the cords properly so I could clean them; also before that I just had a series of shitty skullcandy earbuds

Tell me I did good Sup Forums. My ameriburgers are depleted.

Dude you're not a little girl you're a grown man. Stop embarassing your poor parents

prob another se215
alternatively, e10

Kinda depends on what you're doing with them. Use them exclusively at home? Go for 250 or 600 and buy the Shiit stack or something.

I got the 80Ohm variety because I sometimes use them on the train/plane or when I'm in the computer lab in my University and don't want to carry an amplifier with me.

When I went to the store to check them out I didn't hear any difference between the 250 and 80 variety but don't know exactly how they were powered (music came from an iMac but cables were hidden so no idea about DAC/amps).

Not an audiophile though, so ymmv.

What do amps do for headphones that don't require one to drive them?

Will it give more volume/bass?

more volume, yes
more bass, if they're bad

plz respond

I own a 250 ohm pair and you will most assuredly need an amp.

My phone can drive them to decent levels but the sound quality just isn't the same compared to my E10K. The high end especially suffers, cymbals sound like total ass. Whereas amped they are the best headphones I've owned.

do you really need more than 20 feet?

Cool, thanks.

>What do amps do for headphones that don't require one to drive them?
All headphones need an amp. I highly doubt you're running headphones only off a true DAC, so your mobo/soundcard will have an amp. DAC out will probably fuckin kill your ears/headphone drivers unless you have a fairly inefficient headphone.

>Will it give more volume/bass?
Volume, likely, though depends on what you're coming from. If your current amp is already powering your headphones, probably not bass. A higher quality amp may tighten up the sound as a whole, but not because it's a stronger amp or anything, just that it's better than your old one. Differences between amps generally aren't hugely significant anyway.

>Budget
About €150
>Location
The Netherlands
>Source
Phone, Laptop, PC.
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy AF (But Quality is more important)
>Sound signature
Neutral or Bassy.
>Past headphones
Steelseries Flux

xpt100/hm5

amazon.com/dp/B00WP67G5Y/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC7069&th=1

How good are these?

Just got this for 100€, some reviews say they are uncomfortable but I haven't found them that way so far, a bit too bassy but might be because I'm used to the bass-less ath-ad700.

What's the point of this meme? Is it that the size of headphones are important too? I've always found headphones really uncomfortable, I have a big head and they always clamp my head like a fucker until it hurts. What should I do?

get headphones that clamp less
stretch the headband

I'm just using pic related with an iphone 6s plus and a shitty 6 year old laptop.

Can't seem to get the volume I want. Even a cheap amp is going to outperform an iphone right?

Did i do good

How do I find a good pair of headphones that don't clamp? I'm no audiophile, I just want them to sound alright and not hurt.

Get the Superlux HD661 if you want a cheap not as comfortable clone.

Otherwise get the NVX XPT100/AKG K553/DT770 instead.

Are the ath m40x with brainwavz hm5 pads as comfy as Sennheiser 558? I have the 558s and I'm looking for a new pair of closed headphones because I'm tired of open, but comfort is a big issue for me. The 558 is only pair of headphones I've tried that I can wear literally all day and feel no pain or fatigue. Anyone have any idea on the comfy rating of the m40x with hm5 pads compared to the 558?

mate why did you take that turtle out of his shell

you might want to consider just getting hm5/xpt100 rather than m40x with the pads

m40x/m50x have quite a lot of clamp, so you'll have some discomfort from taht most likely

>Superlux HD661
I was under the impression the 661's were a clone of another headphone.

Anything to confirm they're 7506 clones?

No because of the M series clamp pressure. Then again you could try stretching out the headband. HM5 pads will help a lot in the comfort of the M40x as the stock earpads are garbage.

If you want a comfortable closed headphone around the same price get the Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100. They're not nearly as portable as the M40x are though.

I'd like to add that I'm looking for more of a bassy sound. From what I've read, the xpt100 lean more towards neutral than bassy. Any recommendations?

xpt100/hm5 are the best bassy headphones in the ~100$ range
if you don't mind treble also, which I doubt, have a look at dt770
but I think hm5/xpt100 will suit you fine

it definitely has more bass than m40x

Thanks, friend. Last question. Is there a difference in sound between leather/velour hm5 pads or are they purely preference?

not directly ofcourse, but because of the different seals they'll have, yes.

basically, leather = more bass

Just got a SHP9500 and it's making a buzzing sound on the left.
Is there some way to fix this? (Help me guys, even if I ask for a refund, I already paid taxes, about 65U$ dollars, that I won't get back, and if I order another one, I risk paying it again!)

Also, the right side is louder than the left side.
Yes, I did tested it in multiple devices and the problem persists.

Sounds like a busted pair.

What can I do? I'm desperate.
This shit was about 127$ total (welcome to Brazil hueland)

They sound amazing but holy fuck they fit terribly. The headband is too loose and fully extends everytime and even with it fully extended it's still too small unless you have a baby head. I had to use rubber bands so that my ears don't touch the pads. Also the cable is stiff at some parts while flexible at others, pretty poor quality.

you need an amp, most motherboards have one built in if you don't want to fall for the dac meme.

I managed to get one of these at a reasonable price($40)...holy crap bluetooth is amazing. I seriously don't give a fuck about what other people think about me when I wear a retarded neck piece all day but it's convenient/comfy. I can't imagine 5 years from now when this becomes more popular. The base is rich and present but not overpowering, and the mids and highs are well balanced with no distortion even at higher volumes.

>Budget
As high as one should go before hitting diminishing returns / paying for snakeoil

>Location
Washington DC

>Source
Sound Blaster ZxR

>Type of headphone
Whatever headphone that is fun to listen to and has a big soundstage. I like colored sound and I'll get an amp if it's required

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
My current headphones make the tips of my ears scab so I straight up don't care

>Sound signature
I play a lot of gaymes that need accurate positioning/multichannel downsampling, so whatever works well with that. I also listen to a lot of bass-heavy music but I also love high treble as you can see from my previous headphones.

>Past headphones
Grado SR325i
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (current)

Loved the sound signature of these until they started breaking

Desperate bump.

Just out of curiosity, is there any real difference between Grado's i and e series?
I have the SR325is from 2011, sometimes considered the RS1 or 2es.

>or replace them for a lower impedance model [80 ohm]
The obvious difference boils down to sensitivity difference of around 10 log(250/80) dB, 4-5 dB.
>They sound alright for metal and such music
Loud enough? Then don't bother with the amp.

>true DAC
It's more likely there's a D/A stage in between the music content that otherwise in this day and age.
We've long since gone past the point where motherboards have integrated sound.
>DAC out will probably fuckin kill your ears/headphone drivers unless you have a fairly inefficient headphone.
Gain structure.

>Even a cheap amp is going to outperform an iphone right?
No. The 6S isn't that weak as far as smartphones are concerned.

Buzzing is a mechanical issue.
Check the driver for hairs, dirt, etc.

I literally just got it out of the box.
Well, if it is a mechanical issue, it means it must have a fix. That's better.

It's quite subjective so you have only one option: try them out. Go to stores which have them at display(for good models you can ask us with the template in the OP) and/or order from stores with a good return policy.

Careful or you might upset one of the resident anti-wireless, anti-new technology shitposters. The treble mode on those is really good.

>base
bass*

return it

dt990

I already paid 60% of taxes (I love Brazil, hue).
Even if I return it, I can't get the taxes and the shipment money back.

Hey /hpg/, I'm thinking about getting about getting the SE215 IEMs but I'm wondering if I should get the SE215LTD. Or should I just get the Clear SE215. I have used the clear ones from late 2015 and they were great and they still work fine, but I used some black ones from late 2016 and they broke after about 3 months.

Perhaps. Nice headphones in their own right but desperately need EQ.

All headphones need some source device to drive them that provides current. Most of the time with modern electronics it's a simple amplifier circuitry after a DA-converter stage embedded on to the same chip with low output impedance.

Amplifier's purpose is in the name: it amplifies the signal and this results into louder volume. A good amplifier will not alter the signal in any other way so no, you don't get more bass with a more powerful amplifier or whatever.

If you use a potent headphone amplifier with a pair of high sensitivity headphones, you end up using only a small part of the volume control. Pretty unintuitive, potentially dangerous for your ears and headphones if you turn the volume knob into 11 and at high attenuation most volume pots have audible channel imbalance.

Well you're fucked then. Time to move to a non-shithole.

>order from stores with a good return policy.
Stores with good return policies shouldn't accept returns of headphones due to hygiene. Headphone returns is revolting.

All stores should have restocking fees when the seal is broken. Too many people abuse the hell out of return policies.

Thanks for the replies, anons. You've convinced me to try and save some money and go for something better then the 9500's.

Heck, I'll even open them if needed.

The problem with that is I can only really tell that it hurts after an hour or more of continuous wear. It seems the only thing to do is buy them and hope for the best.

Any thoughts about the AKG K712 Pro in relation to the DT990?

I need a new set of headphones for my computer, need them primarily for gaming so i mic needs to be included or built in

>Budget
100-130 dollars
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Really Comfy
>Sound signature
The best
>Past headphones
I had a pair of turtle beach x12s I've had for like 5 years, it recently stopped playing sound from the left side

I'm getting tired of waiting for another HD 6XX drop. The HD 600 is $299 on Amazon right now. Do I jump on it? Or should I wait to pick up an HD 650 for the same price? I'm not sure which one I would rather have.

try to sell it to some other retarded nigger then get a new one

Kek. I was just thinking about doing that.

Audio noob here. Got a 100 euro gift card for amazon.
Currently considering either marshall major 2 or sony MDR-ZX770BN.
I think I will like the sound of the marshall and the reviews look good but the sony looks more comfy(over ear). Both are wireless.
Currently have a brandless shitty on ear of 15 eur and before that I had a steelseries siberia v2 which I liked.

hyperx cloud 1 (not 2, it's worse) if you really need a built in mic
otherwise dt770 with a zmmic1 or a desk mic

Use is for music through oneplus 3t or pc

marshall is a shit choice for headphones since they piggyback off their amp success.
check OP for purchase advice

So, are amps basically only for volume? When I plug my DT990 600Ohm into my amp, I literally have to keep the volume knob a few millimeters of a turn from 0 or my ears start bleeding.

I really have to start reading up on the technology and not just falling for every consumerist meme there is.

My 6 yr old pair of HFI-580s had one side go out.

For everything needed to repair it, would cost like 30 max, where as to find a place and have it repaired would probably be closer to 60-80.
Has anyone did a 3.55 repair here? Is it a pain in the ass?

>So, are amps basically only for volume?
Yes, that's their purpose but a good amp can have some other benefits over a crappy one(lower noise, quality volume pot, low output impedance etc).
>I literally have to keep the volume knob a few millimeters of a turn from 0
Sounds like a pretty powerful amp. Those are quite insensitive headphones. Or you have sensitive hearing.
>I really have to start reading up on the technology
Always a good thing. Try to understand it, not just take someone else's word for it like majority here seem to do.

>I'm getting tired of waiting for another HD 6XX drop
It's not going to happen

Love these headphones, but my amp is busted and I've been too lazy to send it back in to get fixed. Maybe today...

If you want sound-stage then the AKG K7 series headphones are right up your alley. Not sure if they are as v-shaped as the DT990 though. If you want the most colored one check out the K7XX.

Someone in a previous thread commented that i did not infact need an amp with these IEMs and i did not see it until the thread was archived!

Indeed he is right as these are quite sensitive and works great with lower power sources like smartphones and what have yous.
What he forgot or most likely ignored is the fact that headphone jacks on stationary computers are mostly pure dogshit with frontpanel outs running inside the case next to powercables giving of distortion to the signals.
80% of why anyone would use stuff like the Fulla 2 or Odac is getting around these issues, as is why i went this setup!

Hello /hpg/. I listen to classical music and compose it too, it is important to me that I'm able to tell very small changes in pitch and timbre, the problem is my budget isn't very much. I have never owned any headphones worth mentioning before.

>Budget
50$ is a fixed ceiling for me
>Location
Czech republic, EU
>Source
PC, laptop
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
doesn't matter that much, prefer closed
>Comfort level
want comfort, not at the expense of sound quality
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones

I would appreciate your help very much, thanks.

looking for neutral studio monitors under 300 (a way under is fine, too)

superlux 662 evo

hd600/he400i, you'll need an amp tho

Hey /hpg/, I need your help. I'm using my shitty laptop with my passive speakers connecting it to my amp via AUX. Will be there noticeable difference in sound if I will send signal through headphone Amp/DAC? Looking at FiiO K1 at the moment.

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones since my sennheiser HD448's broke.

What's a good neutral set of headphones I can use for mixing/mastering?

Trying to spend $300-$400

hd600

could you recommend some open headphones in the same budget range as well?