Arch Linux is best Linux

Do yourself a favour and do this NOW. You can thank me later.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/mpv-git/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A R C H
R
C
H

I did long ago. It's great distro even if the "installer" could be better...

The installer is zsh. That's it. If you don't know how to use it, you aren't fit enough for Linux. Go back to Windows, we don't want you.

ok

>zsh
cuck
>Go back to Windows
I started with linux.

>bleeding edge with no simple rollback process
>systemd
>community full of newbie fanbois
no thanks

What font is that? Is it the "looks like comic sans but isn't" font

Is this the new desktop thread?

The only thing more annoying than systemd fanboyism is uninformed systemd hatred

I used to be like you. Then I realized packages in the AUR were not stable enough, the AUR is too bleeding edge. Debian distros do a great job of ensuring stability. Between stability and being on the bleeding edge, you should choose stability. It's the Linux way.

This is now an uptime thread. Gentoo/Debian-like or GTFO

08:56:19 up 229 days, 18:25, 4 users, load average: 1.09, 1.25, 1.29

> This is now an uptime thread
babby's first post, I see

I've used Linux for 13 years. I've used Arch before it moved to systemd. I've used Arch after it moved to systemd. I've performed maintenance for people who had "mainstream" distros with systemd. It is a complete nightmare to use. Traditional init systems are simpler and cleaner and easier to fiddle with for your personal needs.

>systemd

Into the trash.

sorry, 15 years, since I was 13

>AUR is too bleeding edge
aur.archlinux.org/packages/mpv-git/

Use openrc.

>b-but I really know how my computer works!

did it, is not compatible with my Pentium D.
Nice try user.
// before you start wincuck shitting, i have installed in successfully on other machines. That doesnt make it a working OS tho.

No, I want my system to work, thank you very much.

Is it officially supported?

I don't want to use community isos.

No thanks, im happy with ubuntu.

I had to move my server from one room to another last month, otherwise I would have been not far off from that

Arch faggots just sit and download random AUR packages without checking anything. No worse than Windows users.

NOOB DETECTED

babbys first linux

im on gentoo btw

I don't understand what people find so hard about Arch. Once you have it running, it is probably the easiest and smoothest distribution to maintain.

The installation is literally typing about 12 commands and then installing XFCE or some shit like that to have a perfectly usable system.

Arch Linux is a poor distro for morons

shitty packaging
shitty package manager
shitty installer (if you can call pacstrap an installer)

literally the only positives it offers are the AUR and the wiki.

post dick

AUR is the shittiest thing about arch

you're a fucking retard lmao

Arch user is targeted at porfaggot retards who can't figure out how to install gentoo.
Also, pacman is a huge fucking pile of shit.

Why is pacman shit?

If you're only contact with ArchLinux lovers is here on Sup Forums, it's understandable why you think they're a bunch of cluesless assholes. But the Arch haters on Sup Forums are worse.

I have it on a VM and it has been one of my most unstable, high maintenance VMs for Linux.

The package selection is quite okay, but Arch will not make it to any of my personal computers boot OS'.

yes because everything can be found in an official repo.

instead you recommend inserting repo urls in your fucking apt config?
That's basically all PPAs do as well.

even fucking fedora created copr based on the AUR

pacman -R 'gst-*' does not work for one.

which is fucking pathetic since literally every other package manager handles globbing,

doesn't help that the command options are incomprehensible garbage. without tab completions it's almost nightmarish.

But what's the point of doing that when i can just click a couple of buttons with other distros?

sometimes it's easier to customize from the ground up than clean up defaults.

usually I install debian this way, running debstrap and configuring it similar to how you would install Arch

>doesn't help that the command options are incomprehensible garbage. without tab completions it's almost nightmarish.

aka I can't use the command line and I need a button with a fancy animation going on in the background to which I'll drag my box called mouse and press a button

>pacman is shit because it doesn't cover my retarded workflow
Learn some shell-scripting if you want to do stupid things with your package manager.

Because of shit like this:
pacman -Rsn $(pacman -Qqdt)
Yum/dnf delete unneeded shit automagically, portage has a single command to clean the system:
emerge -ac

>sometimes it's easier to customize from the ground up than clean up defaults.
This is a good point. I recently installed openSUSE and it came with a lot of extra shit packages that I now somehow have to get rid off

>doesn't help that the command options are incomprehensible garbage
Agreed. This is one of the really trivial but really annoyingly stupid bits of pacman.

Why can't it just do "pacman remove / -r", "pacman install / -i", "pacman updaterepo / -u", "pacman search / -s", "pacman installnodeps / -I" and so on? Okay even that could use some refinement (like that nodeps might be a flag to use with install), but it'd be a lot better.

>You don't need help, if you can't install it, GET OUT
No wonder Linux has such a low market share.

tell yourself whatever you want retard.

apt and dnf/yum have sane design that is easy to use and remember. It also supports common sense things like FUCKING GLOBBING

no thanks, I don't want to add shitty fragile parser functions to my .rc just to work with pacman in the "arch way"

MOAR

The command line options for pacman are actually very consistent but you have to read the fucking manpage at least once to know the prefixes (-S is Sync, -Q is Query, and -R is remove, etc).

anyhow, even ignoring pacman.

the biggest thing that pisses me off about Arch is Llicense: CUSTOM on virtually every fucking package.

it doesn't help that some, like p7zip depend on a nonfree blob and pacman or the packagers don't fucking tell you about it.

What's wrong with Pac-Man? It's the easiest package manager I've ever used desu

Just emerge -c. Interactive shit is a waste of time on actions that really should not lead to anything you can't undo.

They use capital letters for the most important actions. Very much not Unix.

And it's a misuse of terminology with Sync.

Who the fuck called a package installation-upgrades "sync" before Arch wanted to be special?

Also very clever to make something as important as "refreshing" the package information update "-y"

Basically everything is arch-tier special.

Arch is a pajeet Linux, it's aimed to teach schoolkids CLI tools.

enough with the meme

This is one of the very few things that keeps me from installing Arch.

I don't want to get my comfy "all I need" distro and bloat it out trying to seek what needs who to function and just fuck it up and have dead/floating packages doing nothing.

Yes I'm full-on autismo about this shit.

I fucking use gentoo and I prefer to not have to recompile shit I removed by accident.
--ask should be set by default.

All of you are pajeets lgbt faggots. Sup Forums, Apple, Arch and Haskell are pajeet guys of choice.

And how is emerge -pvDu better? You're full of shit.

I've used it for over a decade and never needed --ask.

You got a world file and USE flags and all that, nothing is going to be "arbitrarily" removed. And on the pretty rare package maintainer error you just fix it (as might be required on any package maintainer error).

Senpai...c-could you share your d-dot files? O-only if you want to that is...

Not double checking things is a very bad idea regardless of what you think.

>use arch
>Literally have no problems
>Feels just like another distribution.

What am I missing?

-p is pretend (don't execute).
-v is verbose.
-D is deep resolution rather than default resolution. That they didn't use '-d' is debug, also important.
-u is the actual update.

As you see the important stuff is generally small letters whenever possible, the letters are related to what they do for all important commands.

And you chose a lot of modifiers that you optionally wanted but don't always NEED.

emerge -u world worksfine.

Remembering pacman -Syu is too hard for my little brain :(

im a girl -_-

> 14:02:19 up 2349 days, 18:25, 361 users, load average: 87.09, 92.25, 91.29, 94.34, 96.22, 92.66, 96.66, 94.37, 87.99

No, having to double check against the most basic functionality of the package manager is just shit.

If there was unreliability at that level, I might as well be forced to read the ebuilds.

After >10 years on Gentoo I can say with some confidence that there isn't really a need. Very few problems occur that you'd have caught with --ask and exactly nothing of that was at all irreversible. If you were worried, you'd be better off just quickpkg-ing everything before an update - that could even handle more problems.

is this the new desktop thread?

97% of the "girls" on Sup Forums have dicks
post dick

>mfw I install Antergos and get an Arch with sane defaults without any effort

Hi Terry

>As you see the important stuff is generally small letters whenever possible, the letters are related to what they do for all important commands
Same with pacman. I also don't agree with the naming scheme but I don't think that's a reason enough to dismiss it at a piece of shit. I like the idea of separating the commands by prefixes though.

My nigga.

Couldn't you just alias all that shit into a single commad?

I could, but I was just winging it when I took that cap, and then I spent all this time refining it and making it more aesthetic, and if I alias it I don't get to show off my command-line-fu like the attention whore I am
>tfw you realize your bash history doesn't contain it anymore
>tfw you realize since you did it all off the top of your head anyway, you can always recreate it with minimal effort

How often should I run Pacman -Syu?

I do it like once a month.

I do it once a day, but I don't always let it proceed.

>Same with pacman.
No, not the same:
-S / -Q / -R / -U / -T. Important commands with LARGE letters. They half systematically used large letters for the important stuff, actually. But that's something no one else does.
Besides the obviously important -y and some other candidates aren't included. [By the way, nice that this one is small, but it's fucking -y, not even related to --refresh. Too bad they called what normal people call "install" or "get" or "deploy" or such "sync" instead, so they couldn't use common terminology for the thing that actualy just synchronizes files "sync".]

> but I don't think that's a reason enough to dismiss it at a piece of shit
I could add more reasons such -s for query using regex by default but -s otherwise being is string match search unless you specify -x for regex search. And other such nonsense related to syntax.

But it also just generally has not too good design. How do I skip a package that just fails for stupid reasons? How do I skip to the next package whose dependency tree will resolve correctly if one just fails in a large system update? How do I reinstall ONLY dependencies (seeing that I could have installed no dependencies)? And so on...

It's a random collection of small tools that do solve half a thing but do not try to systematically cover all related or halfway typical use cases. Feels it's program design entirely based around what one person hated doing the most plus his hacks for things he wanted to work around once.

>2017
>not having a dick
It's time to peacefully end yourself.

>-S / -Q / -R / -U / -T. Important commands with LARGE letters
You don't like pressing shift my man? The important part is that you can always expect that -s will stand for search (for example) in the commands where this option has any relevance.

>But it also just generally has not too good design. How do I skip a package that just fails for stupid reasons? How do I skip to the next package whose dependency tree will resolve correctly if one just fails in a large system update? How do I reinstall ONLY dependencies (seeing that I could have installed no dependencies)? And so on...
It rarely breaks for me though, but fair point. I don't see the reason for having this sort of granularity for things I would probably do only once or twice a year max.

>It's a random collection of small tools that do solve half a thing but do not try to systematically cover all related or halfway typical use cases.
It doesn't feel that way at all. I literally just need pacman and pkgfile for 99% of the cases. With Gentoo I need a bunch of third-party random shit (e.g. eix, gentoolkit, etc) because emerge is insufficient despite being a gigantic piece of software. It almost feels like Slackware.

>using letters for commands instead of options
>using letters for BOTH commands AND options

>You don't like pressing shift my man?
No.

> The important part is that you can always expect that -s will stand for search (for example) in the commands where this option has any relevance.
But it doesn't even mean. It's regex search in one mode and string search on the other.

You pass a regex to -s and it will work one time and not the other. In the other instance, you should also have passed -x, because THAT makes fucking sense.

> I don't see the reason for having this sort of granularity for things I would probably do only once or twice a year max.
I did have issues that would have best been dealt with altering the package resolution a bit multiple times and I sorely missed the option because the workarounds were god damn annoying.

> With Gentoo I need a bunch of third-party random shit (e.g. eix, gentoolkit, etc) because emerge is insufficient despite being a gigantic piece of software.
The only thing outside portage that actually comes close to being "needed" is revdep-rebuild, and even that is mainly emergency tooling. I have not had to use it in years now.

portage-utils, eix, gentoolkit and the other tools to do various analytics and things are nice, but very optional.

And meanwhile on ubuntu, debian, fedora, or any non-timesink distro made in the last 15 years you never have to worry about if a letter is capital or not because you don't have to do any of this

dropout distros only work if you happen to need a massive amount of autism to satisfy. You could have gotten paid bigtime and gotten your own house but you chose to throw it all away and you aren't even fitting in on IRC, they hate you too

Why would bother with Arch? What does it offer me that stock ubuntu with emacs and i3wm can offer? I mainly write code, I don't see what I'd gain from changing distro.

THIS. I started out with arch, and when I got fed up with it I moved to debian. The difference is notable, to say the least.

GNU/Linux*

owned

>It's regex search in one mode and string search on the other.
I was not even aware -s accepted regex, I prefer to search for a common word and filter with grep if needed (which is like 1% of the time).

To conclude, I still don't agree that pacman is shit. The CLI is a bit unorthodox but the commands are short and easy and the program is fast.

I fucking hate AUR though.

Apt is even more of a time sink. Good luck solving retarded dependency problems almost weekly.

The only other package manager worth a damn is dnf, too bad it doesn't have enough packages.

goes to show what type of uninformed plebeians make threads like these

the problem is that you have a problem with it
pacaurtism et al are essentially contrarianism containment

I just invented a new package manger: Drawtism

In order to update you have to make a sketch in a pop up and it has to be really detailed. Doesn't matter what the sketch is, you just have to make a shitload of pointless details. So every time you update it feels like you accomplished something.

>lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer perspective, not the user one. Using systemd made it simpler than ever in that regard because much more work is taken care of by both the systemd developers and all of the projects shipping unit files

>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible

>It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian

>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity

>Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc

>Arch is the opposite of a distribution with lots of user freedom. Users will come and go based on whether they like the technical decisions made by the developers. The popularily of those decisions has no impact on how things are done, regardless of how vocal users are about it

>What hypocrisy? When have you seen the developers state that they care about user freedom, or that the distribution is based on minimalism?

>It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)
Arch and its developers are garbage. Everything adopted solely out of convenience. You'd have to be an absolute retard to use Arch, or just plain ignorant. Might as well use Windows.

Have you heard of

S U S E
U
S
E

apt-get and rpm both also have capital letter arguments, even if I'd agree they have overall easier to remember syntax.

But apt is apparently so stupid at resolving sets that Mint actually has to have its GUI package manager do a non-default mode of resolving packages just so a system update works.

Even aptitude needs to fight for alternative resolutions apt can't produce and isn't too smart about it.

rpm also was an arsepain, but I guess I haven't used it much for 10+ years.

> you chose to throw it all away
What you need to do is win the birth lottery and dodge the low probability "get rekt" events.

Everything else probably won't amount to much.

what the hell is this, i followed the wiki, after I log in there is no OS, ir just says [root$] or some shit, is this one of those rootkit virus?

installed openSUSE recently. It seems to be pretty bloated from the get go (something like 2200 packages on my system). What is the benefit of SUSE when it is this bloated and also how to i get rid of the bloat thank you

Noone will reply. Archfags are good with ignorance.

I use Manjaro now. It just werks

Of course no one is going to reply. Archfags aren't going to reply if there is no good comeback to actual logic.

Now stop double dipping for (You)s.