What's the most enjoyable programming language, Sup Forums?

What's the most enjoyable programming language, Sup Forums?

Forget about memes, popularity or usefulness. Just what is the most fun and pleasurable language to work with?

lua

perl 6

for me its c++ and lua

The one that feels more comfortable to you.
For me its python.

Not necessarily. I'm extremely comfortable with C and I can do just about anything with it, but it's rather terse and I enjoy it more working on smaller projects with Haskell.

I've never heard people that program in Haskell say that they hate it. Must be something. Compare that to Java, C++.

Nice bait.

You can't hate what's just a hobby for you.

C.
It's a language that puts the power in the programmers hand and doesn't treat you like a retard.

forth

Either Go, C or Rust
inb4 meme sjw languages

>What's the most enjoyable programming language
Python
>Why not use it
Shit performance

Only rust and vala are true sjw langs. There is nothing wrong with go and C

Go is for pajeets and code monkeys only.
Even the creators admitted to making such a spartan language because googlers can't handle any more complexity

Python. It's a "get shit done" language that I love. I have an idea, Python lets me get into implementing the functionality immediately, rather than focusing on the foundation work like memory management. It has a billion libraries which also makes things super easy.

>i want to write something that can parse a page, grab my work timetable, and add it to my Google Calendar
>pip install beautifulsoup, mechanize
>within an hour i have a fully working program doing exactly what I need.

Python is C O M F Y

C by far.

You could say this about any dynamic language. Take Ruby for instance... except Ruby doesn't have the aesthetics of Russian communism in the 1970s

ASP if you want a puzzle
Python if you just want something done easily

my.nigga.pdf

C, Python, Haskell

maybe ES6 JS

Scheme

Delphi, Visual Basic 6, or Perl.

Anyone who said C is a 1st year college student who hasn't written any program longer than 200 lines

I unironcally like Fortran 90+

I mostly do scientific computing so its a lot easier for me to understand the syntax. And array operations just make sense to me since my first programming language was matlab.

a ton of people who got burned out on Java claim golang is getting them excited about programming again. I personally enjoy python for small hobby projects

Ruby or C, JS is also nice to work with

i like C# coming from C, makes UI easy

D

c or js

python, swift, haskell

swift is comfy as fuck, strongly typed but inferred types at declaration. Interfaces that only rely on functions rather than state AND function signatures. Open source, runs on linux and osx. If there was a language I could program in all day (of which I used to) it would be swift. Now I just program in Go and Postgresql.

I really kinda like this bullshit.

C++
I like to crush pajeets and normalfags

who gives a shit about you shills and your programming languages. the language doesn't matter, what matters is that you're using the language to study reality.
get the fuck off this japanese anime board and start exploring reality.

Are all of you faggots first year cs students?
Python is ugly af and not at all enjoyable

No one mentioned scala?
Then again some faggot said swift

Python for scripts, Rust for everything else.
Python is comfy because it's essentially executable pseudocode, Rust because it's close to the hardware while still having lots of fun functional stuff (traits, closures, ADTs, Monadic error handling and pattern matching)

C# and using Visual Studio is like a godsend.

Although Python can be awesome too, specially for quickly written and simple scripts and PyQt programs.

Scala is the most fun for dealing with big piles of data, the cloud, the web on the top layer, and all these new toys we have to do BIG things.

Want to put all processing power on all machines you own plus some rented ones into finding all copies of your anime waifu of the day in a collection of dozens of millions of images according multiple sorts of perceptual hashes that will be calculated and compared across the cluster?

Scala is one of the best tools to do that.

>what matters is that you're using the language to study reality
Wat? The vast majority doesn't need to "study reality" as such. That's a few scientist's job.

Most need to find a solution to a business (/home) problem, an engineering adaptation. To keep the time budget for that in a reasonable scope, the language's strengths and especially which existing libraries you can use well with said language are paramount.
Many of these libraries are equivalent to a lifetime of work by just (((You))) and you'll never realistically solve the same problem all on your own.

>Java-like / JVM-based
That belongs in the workplace, not anywhere else.

> workplace
Runs much of the top layer of the big web deployments, runs the work place.

Is also the primary language on the majority of personal computers these days - though these are using ART rather than the JVM.

> Java-like
Not too terribly so. You can very much pick a functional style:
for (i "FizzBuzz", 3 -> "Fizz", 5 -> "Buzz").find(i % _._1 == 0).map(_._2).getOrElse(i))
or
def replaceMultiples(x: Int, rs: (Int, String)*): Either[Int, String] =
rs map { case (n, s) => Either cond(x % n == 0, s, x)} reduceLeft ((a, b) =>
a fold(_ => b, s => b fold(_ => a, t => Right(s + t))))

def fizzbuzz = replaceMultiples(_: Int, 3 -> "Fizz", 5 -> "Buzz") fold(_.toString, identity)

1 to 100 map fizzbuzz foreach println

It can usually look very much look and work like something in Ruby / Haskell / Go / ... apart from the classic imperative / procedural style that you'll recognize from C-like languages, with surprisingly few caveats on both ends.

You clearly haven't used scala
Whats so bad about being jvm based

i had a php server installed on my computer and a page that i can use to execute code on browser. whenever i need to do simple stuff like generating files using a certain pattern using a data, it takes me like 10 minutes to figure out what i need to do. comfy as fuck i must say.

>It can usually look very much look and work like something in Ruby / Haskell / Go
Yeah well I supposed it can be made to look like those languages, but at that point why would you even run Scala instead of Ruby / Haskell / Go?

I'll go ahead and say that if I had to choose a language to work with, I'd consider Scala. But it's a corporate language for large projects and not something I'd consider fun / personal side-projects.

>Whats so bad about being jvm based
Huge fucking dependency I'm not willing to pull in on most of my machines. It's also a pain to setup up a proper development environment if you don't have one of the big IDEs that integrate the JDK, and I prefer working with text editors.

It wont treat you like one, but you will show everyone just how much of a retard you really are, not deallocating that memory space and causing all kinds of crashes in your program.

> but at that point why would you even run Scala instead of Ruby / Haskell / Go?
Because developers can revert to imperative / procedural style solutions on the sections where you'd otherwise fight Haskell on trying to be purely functional and finding theoretical abstractions with correct performance for hours, days or months.

Because it is faster and has more libs. (Go is ~equally fast, but it can't even begin to compete for libs).

Because it's the only thing with a niche lots of money is flowing into. Akka and Spark are just *the* most firmly established cloud stacks, and still some of the very few solutions for data-at-any-scale processing that ACTUALLY worked for almost all adopters.
They're about the biggest open source success stories since Linux and Android.

>>within an hour
this needs to be done faster.
grabbing the page and parsing it should take you like 5 minutes max.

C#.
Enjoying that syntax for passing dynamically allocated arrays into functions as well?

C# is great

This

Rust desu senpai

That depends. C++ if you want control Java if you want productivity.

C# doesn't even have default interface methods. I like multiple inheritance, thank you.

C++ is a pajeet language.

I'm not great with Python since I haven't gotten to use it for work in a while, but I agree that it's hella comfy

C