/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

New thread

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161225.7z
mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-i686-20161225.7z
yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl.exe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bumping I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 and a T Mobile phone SIM from Straight Talk. None of the APN info Straight Talk gives me is working, and nothing online is working either. Also, changing the MNC makes the APN disappear, so I can't change that at all.

What can I do to get 4g on my phone?

Couldn't find the web development general, so I'll just ask here

Do I need apache to run my site from localhost? I wanted to bring my website to a friend's house on a USB to show him it, but then the php files won't work properly.

If I were to reinstall windows 7 from a disc that my laptop came with, would I still be able to upgrade to windows 10 again?

Was just planning on upgrading my msata and was hoping I could still use windows 10 when swapping them out.

What's this new "You" checkbox? I'm guessing it's for changing IPs?

probably not
can't upgrade for free now

What are you talking about?

From the past thread, is codeacademy a good place to learn?

The heck is my ISP doing?

Damn.

Cuckeco

Screwing you.
What did you expect?
Any other ISPs out your way?

Are there any email providers (besides cock.li) which support IMAP that aren't gmail / other trash? I'd use cockmail but I need something to communicate with my aunt. Does Mail.ru support IMAP?

>Just use an alternative domain
The only reasonable one is airmail and they'd probably find out that it's affiliated with a website which has chen in a cock hat.

Call ISP. Tell them that your computer does not support the software. If they ask questions, say "I run GNU/Linux, and running anything else would violate my ethics and philosophy". I'm not joking. My ISP is also doing this F-Secure shit.

Reposting from dead thread:

Two of my case fans don't seem to start at boot. If I manually spin it it sorta gets going (slowly), which is bizarre. If I unplug one of them and plug it back in, both start up at normal speed. I turned off the "Q Control" or whatever Asus calls it, so I don't think they're being limited by that. Mobo is M5A97 R2.0

any ideas?

Yeah I just got this error message when trying to watch a recently uploaded youtube vid on Chromium.
Older videos still work fine, would anyone know if this is a problem with my browser build or this a YouTube thing? I've no idea what's going on here.

can someone make this around 10-15% opaque? i suck at graphics senpai

How do I make a copy of a dvd movie for my own personal backup? I've tried daemontools and handbrake and had no fucking luck

fek here it is

I have an old Thinkpad T400 and no matter what Linux distro I put on it something always either breaks or straight up doesn't work.

Would it be safe to install an old version of Windows like XP? Only going to use it for music, movies and writing up the occasional document.

Not good ones...

I think I'll have to make an excuse. Pretty sure I'd rather give the ultimatum that I'll leave than install, though I'm thinking it will probably be rolling out to all major ISPs and the area 'indie' ISP blows, I just left them a year ago

Chromium comes without H.265 // AAC support.

Install Firefox or Pale Moon, or swallow the Botnet.

An an alternative, try MPV + Youtube-DL.

apt // (whatever your package manager is) install mpv youtube-dl

mpv [YouTube URL]

Sure, as long as that machine is always disconnected from the Internet / WAN/LAN

No you don't get it.
I can literally watch a video uploaded two hours ago, and anything from before that just fine.
My latest two subscriptions just uploaded, and I get the error message for those two videos, and those two videos only.

Does the video play when you attempt to watch the video with MPV?

If it presents an error message, more information might be obtainable.

Try playing a video in mpv via the terminal, and post the terminal output here in codetags.

Ok man, I'm be honest.
I downloaded Chromium because Firefox was going to shit and becoming unstable and I wanted Chrome without the official bullshit.
I'm not a coder, I don't know how to try and watch the video with MPV.
This is a stupid questions thread for stupid people like myself.

The power light turns on my second monitor and the logo ViewSonic blinks on the monitor for a second and then it just turns off and repeats the same thing 2 seconds later.

My main monitor works fine and I've switched all the cables around and turned my PC off and on multiple times, can someone help me?

Would be connected online to stream shit through netflix. Is that a no go?

I'm assuming you're using Ubuntu:
Open Terminal (search Terminal in the Dash)

Type in "sudo apt install mpv youtube-dl"

Type in your password. It will not show a row of stars or anything.

Wait for it to finish, it should return to the prompt with your username and computer's name.

Type "mpv [youtubeurl]", for example youtube.com/watch?v=foobar. Don't use the brackets, obviously.

Then, copypaste anything that shows up after you initially type in mpv [youtubeurl]

I also suggest Pale Moon to you. It's Firefox but without the shit. I think it supports H.264, but I'm not sure.

Not a good idea. Netflix would also probably be unwatchable.

What's the best CPU that I can stick into the 1366 socket?

Well fuck. Might give it a shot if I find an old HDD lying about. Thanks user.

Does taking off the side of my PC's case keep it cooler? Or will it not make a difference?

Yes? You need a server to run a website user

It will lower the ambient temps a little but won't help much with transferring the heat from your vital components like a good aftermarket cooler will. Your computer produces a certain amount of heat when it does a given amount of work, and the more efficient your cooler is then the faster the heat will be removed from the component and thus the lower temperature it will be.

There's no risk in trying. It will be noisier and stuff can get it. Back when I ate shittier, I sloshed some Cap'n Crunch soy milk onto a running hard drive and it made a weird noise but kept working.

You could do it in a chroot on your Android phone. Or just forward some ports to a VM or something at home.

can you verify md5 by looking at the first two and last two characters

*get in

Not the most secure way in the world, but it's semi-secure.

Compare the first five.

Yeah I really can't figure out what's going on. Nothing seems to be working. I don't think I have Ubuntu because searching for Terminal brings up nothing, and I can't get YouTube to give me any info.

I've tried reinstalling the latest version of Chromium, tried looking for fixes and workarounds, third party players. YouTube changed something and now it doesn't recognize Chromium at all, and it changed something in the last hour, something with how the videos are made to run I guess?
Only thing I can figure out, it's gotta be something on YouTube's end they fucked because I can view anything that wasn't uploaded in the last hour perfectly fine.

I still have Firefox and it runs the new videos fine.

What operating system are you using?

bumping this again

I've found that the most accurate way to verify md5s is actually to compare all of the characters.

What would be a good step by step plan(or goals) for writing a simple monolithic x86 kernel for learning purposes?

Where would I realistically start (since I would guess that process management is not the first thing you'd dive into, even though most resources delve into that first)? Something that would specifically help is an ordered list of functionalities to strive for instead of implementation details.

Keep in mind that i'm a programmer with a background in low level C programming on embedded systems and user-space programming in (modern) C++ and the like. I also have decent knowledge of x86 (and a little bit of ARM) assembly as well as UNIX concepts and a great deal of experience with the Linux userspace (all I've done in kernelspace is device drivers).

Update; Mail.ru does support IMAP.
I'll support the Russian botnet for simple chit chat with my aunt I guess.

Hey Sup Forums I'm horrible with all things computers and I'm not sure if I'm suffering from a cpu problem or not. I tried to make sure my mother board is as clean as possible my PC will boot but will not get to Windows before it immediately blue screens. I tried to to do a full reset but it won't even let me do that

>make my motherboard as clean as possible

How did you clean it?
Take a picture of the blue screen error and post it here.

If there's a guide to how to make Windows 10 look more like Windows 7, I would like a pointer to it.

I know of WindowBlinds, Aero Glass, the several Start button replacements, OldNewExplorer. What am I missing?

Windows 8.1

That's about it.
Just keep in mind that applying all those third-party aesthetics will probably bog down your system. You've got just about everything "Windows 7-ish" though.

By dusting it off with co2. It brings me to this menu and everything I try either can't be executed or it fails to boot Windows by displaying a blue screen

>Windows 8.1
I thought you were using GNU/Linux, thus my asking of the terminal, lol.

Anyway, you can download mpv here:

mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161225.7z (64-Bit)

Or, if you use a 32 bit machine:

mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-i686-20161225.7z

Extract the one for your system at C:\mpv

In C:\mpv, place this file in there: yt-dl.org/latest/youtube-dl.exe

Then run mpv [website]

I think this an issue with Chromium, not your computer. Chromium removes support for some video codecs used on YouTube. So, you can either use FF to play them, or, you can use MPV.

Have you done anything with your graphics drivers recently? Do you have a client that automatically updates them?

*not mpv website, mpv [youtubeurl]

Anyone know what causes these annoying empty spaces when i fullscreen a video on my secondary monitor?

Started happening on windows 10.

I manually update them but no I haven't messed with the lately. The PC was running completely normal until just now

>mpv.srsfckn.biz/mpv-x86_64-20161225.7z
Ah, cool, thanks. I'll see if this works, I tried an MP4 and HTML extension but neither worked, but then they were just extensions.

Make sure your resolution is set correctly in System Settings -> Display

Do you have a Windows 10 Installation disk? We'll try the following, first, though.

Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
and type the following, and then press enter: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Can you build a PC with both a GPU and a CPU????

Yes...
Having a GPU is pretty important if you're playing games. Some CPUs have an intergrated GPU, but they're shit.

That's how most people do it? There isn't much use in a desktop that drives only one monitor.

i just have no idea how this shit is generated, i was wondering if it was like a 1 in a billion that the first and last two characters match yet it's not the same hash
i'll just stick to the whole string then, thanks

I don't have a disk

Looking to build a standing/sitting desk

What's the best frame money can buy that can go up/down automatic? Jarvis? Or is there a better option?

You forgot the space after sfc.
It should look like: sfc /, not sfc/

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee where can i get BITCOINS ONLINE EASILY

LocalBitcoins or HackForums

rooted android question here
once you flash the twrp img file, you can delete it from internal storage right?

How do I do columns in Microsoft Word?
Like pic related.

Yes.

Sorry for being tard level

Alright so I downloaded that aaaaand... now I can watch videos on YouTube through Chromium again.
I have no explanation, it simply seems to have fixed itself.

Well thanks for the help anyways. Now at least I have a backup method in case this happens again.

>LocalBitcoins
thank you

Did it complete? It should've provided some sort of output after running the command...

Glad to have helped!

How boned am I

>1 hour
bumping

It can't preform the operation because you're running sfc /scannow. If the computer were booted into Windows, that would work. But Windows is not booted, so you need to specify the directories.

So, the entire full working command would be:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

This says to sfc:

The boot directory is C:\

And the Windows directory is: C:\Windows

Do you have more than one hard disk / SSD?

>How boned am I?
No way to tell yet.

copy to iso
burn

wish I had first hand experience, but I just googled "how to make copy of dvd" and there are so many resources.
If I were you I'd just try different ones until it worked. The method of copying then burning the VIDEO_TS folder to a new disk seems pretty straight forward. And it looks like you can do it with plain windows.

I typed in your exact command and got the same results

I just realized that Sup Forums is horrible at rendering spaces between slashes.

Are you sure you had a space between the following lines:

/offbootdir=c:\ *SPACE* /offwindir=c:\windows ?

If you did that and nothing happened, then try
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Reboot the computer
Press F8 over and over
Wait for the bluescreen
Tell me the name of XXX.SYS which is causing the error.

Getting skyped here. I've never attempted to do this before, so I don't know how to work around it. I own the fucking disc and want a personal backup because my gaymen pc doesn't have optical drives. I'm not about to torrent something either.

1. Is there any way to get rid of this shit in Chrome? Not hide it, not enter full screen mode, just not show at all it like I can in Firefox.

2. Are there any chrome extensions like vimperator that not only offer vi-like navigation shorcuts, but provide a useful command shell at the bottom of the screen?

Mistake: After pressing F8 choose safe mode.

>torrent
If you're having this much trouble with something so trivial, perhaps you should re-evaluate your stance, and just get it done

Been having trouble with my internet for 3-4 weeks now with packet loss all around. Any attempts to contact my isp results in them telling me that it's down the line and there's nothing they can do about it.

I know it's bullshit but I can't play anything online without my internet dropping completely for 3-5 seconds every 3-4 minutes like clockwork.

I live in a rural area so there really aren't any alternatives and I'm at my breaking point.

Change your modem and router.

run ping plot for a day and send them the results,showing them it is in house and they need to do something about it

Yeah that was going to be my last resort, I'm currently going though my modem directly.

Wierd thing is I had no problems from monday-today and it started back again.

It says that the element is not found

is that windows98?
also, if you really don't want to torrent, it is probably simpler to go to your local public library and use a computer that has something like win7/10 on it to do it.

Everything I've found regarding that error has something to do with Runtimebroker.exe

Can I see a picture of the error?

I want to make a sort of forum that supports a large amount of subforums and many users, where should I start with this? I've played with wordpress before, and know a little bit of html, xml, and php, but I'm not actually a programmer.

Install MyBB.
If its an imageboard, install LynxChan.

My laptop has a discreet graphics card, yeah yeah *gay*mer whatever.
It automatically assigns either the graphics card or intel built-in graphics to each new program/game, what would happen if I just made the graphics card do everything?

hmm...
>bootnupolicy
>bootmenupolicy

Windows 7 but I uninstalled all of the bloatware and turned the gfx down to make it run a little smoother. I was hoping it would be easy but it's really not a big deal, just gay that there's literally some bullshit "copy protection" on my dvd when ripping cd's back in the day used to be nothing.

It would run hotter and noisier, likely for no benefit.

fluxbb