codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

responsivegridsystem.com/
thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/halftone-web-header-banner-4082189.jpg);
secure.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-result.fetch-row.php#example-1907
php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php
phpdelusions.net/pdo
semeraro.slides.com/semeraro/saldi/fullscreen#/
melanie-f.com/en/
stojakovic.co/
giampierobodino.com/en/high-jewellery/the-radiance-of-colours
pastebin.com/QUH4YZrt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

About to start learning HTML after realizing I need to be able to design my own website.

Bumping the thread

You don't need to "learn" html, it's markup. You get used to it, there isn't any concept to learn per se. Don't be too worried if you feel like you covered all there is about HTML in a few hours, that's actually all there is.

I advise you to follow a tutorial about making a blog, or downloading a blog template then changing whatever you don't like.

OMG SDUDE DONT SAY HTML ISNT REAL LANGUAGE. I LEARN HTML CODE ACADEMY. IT SAYS IT REAL LANGUAGE. SO IT IS YOU RETARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. I BET I EVEN KNOW MORE HTML THAN U

I'm getting mixed signals here.

Did anybody here work with Raphael library?
How is it?

When are we removing kike academy from the links

I found a very nice alternative to bootstrap, /wdg/

>responsivegridsystem.com/

Does anyone here use it/have used it?

There is more to bootstrap than columns, user. People don't use it just because it has columns. It makes frontend easy to throw together without much thought.

are one page website a meme?

no

angular 2 is fucking awesome learn it

Ive spent 3 days moving box's around a page, and my highlight was copying jquery code of someones site and trying to make it work because I thought it was JavaScript.

Sublime text is a meme, using dream weaver is much eaiser.

Hello guys,

my mother in law has a simple wordpress e-shop, there are 11 pending updates for WP and the plugins, the guys who designed and hosted it doesn't respond. I haven't done anything with WP so far, but I assume it should be relatively safe to do the updates ? Would there be any chance of anything fucking up afterwards ?

thanks

I have a question,

In what browser can i experiment and test my own javascripts without it being blocked or deleted by browser?

Any known version?

>have awful hacked together jquery script from when I didn't know jquery
>it works

>go to rewrite it with all my knowledge 3 years later.
>It doesn't work.

I'm looking at this and it doesn't make sense.

>dreamweaver
now THERE's a name I haven't heard in 10 years

judging from angular 1 veterans, angular 2 syntax is horrid, and the whole ecosystem feels bad like java

They're both retards. HTML is pretty easy though, you should be fine.

Mm

dont talk about something you're not knowledgable in yourself

If you have the WP login access, you betta fucking update it before your mom gets hacked LOL

>plugins are 90% safe to update, the 10% is either contact forms that might mess up the design (and you gotta go check on it), or depreciated plugins where they suddenly just don't work anymore -- WP is starting to do that thing where if it's not valid, it will self-delete

if you have a e-shop and woocommerce / wp-commerce is actually one of the plugins, you betta update that shit pronto

>most updates never break the theme, unless it's the theme/framework itself; they make child themes for this safety reason, but if you can tell that your current theme HAS a child, then you're safe

WP core should stay up to date automatically, but if not you definitely need to update that. The plugins should probably be fine to update as well, but it might be a good idea to backup first just in case.

Pretty much any modern browser will run JS fine, not sure what you're asking.

old WPs don't update automatically, that got put in after WP 4.2
even then, some hosts don't have that option to help update for you

If I were to write a backend REST API in whatever language, and a REST client in a JS framework on the frontend side, would I _need_ to have the backend be publicly exposed?

tl;dr: REST BACKEND

my wife's mom actually, yeah i have the wp login.
thx for the input tho

>WP core should stay up to date automaticall
WordPress 4.7.2–en_US is the proposed update , we are working out the hosting login data, i really doubt the fucker who was supposed to take care of the site has done any backups.

I guess if anything fucks up, a simple copy-paste of the backup (re-upload) should fix everything, right ?

All"yall
Try making a js button and play it in your browser....

First backup the files (within the rootfolder and perhaps the wp-config if it's above the root folder) and export the database, obviously.

Publicly exposed as in having the API endpoints available over the internet? Of course you would, how else would you do it?

so I would need something like:

site.com which does REST calls to api.site.com (auth required)

right?

So I've begun my journey of HTML and CSS to get my feet wet in becoming a front end web developer.
I've got a problem with my nav bars though that I can't seem to be able to fix. I've tried to set the classes, I've tried CSS display: inline; coupled with text-align: center; to get the .navbar2 li to align the nav bar to the bottom of the page and inline like the one on the top.

I'm really new to all of this and I'm probably making a huge rookie mistake in all this but I've decided this is what I want to do for the rest of my life so I'm up for the challenge.

Here's my HTML and CSS sheet I'd love some feedback so I can improve my own skills. I'm doing this as practice so don't be so critical that it's ugly.

Jacks Site

Welcome to my website

Home
Page 2
Page 3

About Us
Credits

>CSS
.Welcome {
text-align: center;
margin: 0px;
color: black;
background: url(thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/halftone-web-header-banner-4082189.jpg);

}

.Navbar1 li {
display: inline;
margin: 195px;
}
.Navbar2 li {
margin-top: 300px;
display: inline;

}

Why does the following query not work in PHP (works flawlessly if I ctrl+c ctrl+v at MySQL prompt):
$stmt = $db->prepare('INSERT INTO Account VALUES ("312", "asd", UTC_TIMESTAMP(), "lkj"');
if(!$stmt)
return $db->error;
It generates this error:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

you're missing a ) at the end for VALUES ()

inline elements don't support margins top/bottom, set it to inline-block.

>In an inline formatting context, boxes are laid out horizontally, one after the other, beginning at the top of a containing block. Horizontal margins, borders, and padding are respected between these boxes. The boxes may be aligned vertically in different ways: their bottoms or tops may be aligned, or the baselines of text within them may be aligned. The rectangular area that contains the boxes that form a line is called a line box.

the entire approach you do is fucked anyway, don't set pixel values, they'll look different on different devices/resolutions.

This might not be the best place to ask, but I might as well give it a try.

I currently work at a company, for almost a year. Salary wise I can't really complain, make about $2500 net a month. However, the company I work for have a huge hard-on for WordPress. A system I personally despise, mainly because its lack of freedom (routing wise) and the database structure, which for projects that need to be scalable, can be slow (we have big customers).

When I first applied for the job, I said: "I don't mind starting off with WordPress, but I do eventually hope to work with other systems too.. preferably (which is my expertise) Laravel or other MVC systems". His reply: "We work with lots of different systems and Laravel will be one of these in the future". So, after 8 months working here, I still haven't touched anything else than WordPress.

I asked another colleague of mine: "Do you think I'll ever work with anything other than WordPress at this company?". "I am afraid not", he replied.

So I'm a bit stuck. We are a small team and I have a great relationship with my colleagues, lots of banter and we help each other out. My boss however is rather childish and you're often not taken serious when you suggest certain improvements. So I don't think bringing up this dilemma with him is a good option.

tl;dr:
>make decent money, great colleagues
>forced to work with pajeet WordPress, want to work with Laravel
>only 8 months at this company, would be better to have more working experience
>boss has a huge hard-on for WordPress and won't change
>I don't think coding with WordPress is good for my development

So my dilemma is, leave and get a Laravel job OR stay and continue using WP, but gain more CV working experience?

what do you want to do with your navbar ?

you forgot to close the tag btw

Angular 1 """veterans""" are just disappointed that they had to learn an over-complicated technology and now it is obsolete. Angular 2 uses TS which is much better then ES5 Angular 1 uses. IMO main fault of Angular 1 is that it is built for web designers, not for programmers. Angular 2 fixes that.

Me personally, I'd stay for another 4 months, THEN start sending out applications.

But I'd do it for more money, not simply to use Laravel. I'm sure you could manage accomplishing both, however.

>margin: 0px;

So I should set it to display: inline-block;?
I'll give it a try.
>don't set pixel values
Should I use REM or EM?
>the entire approach you do is fucked anyway
How so could you explain a little bit?
I'm looking to get better so anything helps.
Holy fuck noob move on my part. Thanks for that.
>what do you want to do with your navbar?
I want to have options at the top for different pages relating to navigating the website for information and one at the bottom for credits, about us, contact, employment, etc. Things that relate to who made the site and things about the sites contributors you know.

Yeah, I'm thinking about perhaps doing some freelancing in the meantime and expand my Laravel portfolio.

>But I'd do it for more money, not simply to use Laravel.
This.
If money isn't your number 1 priority by a long shot then you will end up getting taken advantage of although it sounds like you already are. $2500 a month sounds pretty low if you are in the US.

I'm in Europe and is a decent salary for a Junior/Medior. Just converted it to $ for the sake of argument.

Works fine in Nightly from the terminal. If you want to play around with JS go to Codepen or JSFiddle, and you can code JS right on their sites.

why is php so fucking awful

ive been trying to figure out how to make a table out of a mysql database for hours.

well, what did you try so far?

Do you have trouble reading the SQL data, or do you have trouble formatting the data into a table?

You could do that if you want. Having a separate api.site.com is not necessary but will work fine if you want to do it that way. Usually the RESTful way to do things is just do something like site.com/posts or site.com/users etc. or you could namespace it like site.com/api/users if you want.

>REM or EM
You could use both, but read up on them because they give fucked up results if you misunderstand them. Try them out.
I see you have two , Im pretty sure your "supposed" to only have one. But it will work though.
>I want to have options at the top for different pages relating to navigating the website for information and one at the bottom for credits, about us, contact, employment, etc. Things that relate to who made the site and things about the sites contributors you know.
Alright, so its the positioning thats the issue? Force the position of NavBar2?

I'm pretty sure I read in the SQL data correctly. Its how to manipulate it is where I'm having trouble.

I'm trying to come up with a for loop where variable $r is equal to how many rows there are in the database.

Here's some pseudocode to show you what I'm going for

//1 represents first name
//2 represents last name

Rows in the database are id, first name, last name.

I don't think that's how you make loops in php, or am I wrong? Shouldn't it be
//1 represents first name
//2 represents last name

endfor;
?>

if you use the colon syntax for your for loops? Also you should check the output of your sql command. Just print everything between tags. Btw, I don't use php so I can't help you further.

secure.php.net/manual/en/mysqli-result.fetch-row.php#example-1907

use pdo

also just do a foreach instead of a for loop for that

foreach $rows as $row
php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php

Does foreach loop go in reverse, as in if I had a database like this:

id. FirstName LastName
1. BOB SMITH
2. TOM SMITH
3. JOHN SMITH

The foreach loop would print

JOHN SMITH
TOM SMITH
BOB SMITH

Because the reason I'm working with a for loop is that I want to print out the names from the highest id to the lowest id.

here

I found out how to solve my issue

When getting the query in , add an "ORDER by ID DESC"

as in

$query = "SELECT * FROM database ORDER by ID DESC"

As for the loop, I just used a while loop

>

quick edit

Should be

bump

>

why do i feel like bootstrap 2 was so much better and simplistic than bootstrap 3? i've switched to 3 long ago but i still kinda miss 2. please tell me i'm not the only one ;-;

why do you write code that you won't be able to recognize a month later? why don'tyou just use a template engine so that your code won't look as messy as this one?

phpdelusions.net/pdo

what cheap shared hosting do you suggest? I found about neostrada and buyshared, I just don't know which one to trust.

I'm just starting to learn about this and I want to spend the less money possible

My portfolio is finally coming together.

It took me long enough.

That's like the easiest thing you can do.

PHP 101.

Is Go a meme. Last time I was looking at it when it was released, It seemed to be a miscarriage, tho. However, you fucking niggers are mentioning it all the time. So what's the fuzz about it?!

it's yet another hope of Sup Forums to get rid of JS

There is still php ...

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused about what this company wants for their job interview test. Basically they asked me for wireframes and examples of the graphical user interface.

Wireframes are no problem, but I'm unsure about what they actually mean when they say graphical user interface. Do they want mockups showing the design, as in colors and font? Or do they want me to make and interactive prototype, showing the user interaction?

>pls help

The design I believe.

Gents

Anybody here knows Bootstrap?

I've made a navbar but literally NOTHING I do is able to move my 2 tabs to the right edge.

Not
Nothing

All Navbar One

Home (current)

Features

Pricing

Disabled

what this does is literally nothing
its bootstrap 4

I am generating this view with Handlebars (if it matters)

What is the best javascript framework to create a blog with post system?

PHP

express

Django retard reporting in. Does anyone know how I have have every page direct to the login page if a user is logged out? Basically the only thing that should be seen is the login page if they're logged out.

If true
this layout
if false
other

you can use session or token authentication with cookies, and if the user is not logged in, you can send a 302 redirect to the login page.

Sup /wdg/

I want to make a "presentation"-like website.

Consider this:
semeraro.slides.com/semeraro/saldi/fullscreen#/
melanie-f.com/en/
stojakovic.co/
giampierobodino.com/en/high-jewellery/the-radiance-of-colours

as examples.

The first one is made with an actual presentation framework, reveal.js

Do you recommend it, /wdg/? Are there any better, easy to use alternatives?

>melanie-f.com/en/
>playing audio on max volume by default
>no volume control, only on/off
I give that website 0/10 and whoever made it should be executed.

yeah, it's bad.

well hold onto your horse cos 4 is on its way

not sure where to ask this question but this seems like the best place to ask

anyone have experience as a system administrator?
>how hard is it to get a position as one
>what prerequisites are best to have when applying

seems like the perfect IT job i could get into from what I've been reading

Studying computer science at school, taking a web dev class and learning on my own as well. What should I do to increase my chances of getting a job as a web developer? Just create random sites and put them in a portfolio?

What are the proes/cons of making an app in Laravel as opposed to making a SPA with something like React+Redux?

Apart from the no page reload because of routing being done client-side are there any?

Learning both Laravel and React atm and so far the MVC architecture of the php framework feels so comfy compared to state-managing-component cluster-fuck of an overly large SP React app.

Guess I should more into Redux but not sure if it's worth it.

pros*

>Just create random sites and put them in a portfolio?

Yes, that's exactly what you do. Make them complex. User login systems with friend lists and messaging etc. The more shit you shove into each site the better off you'll be.

Fuck off and actually learn CSS you faggot.

Is there a lightweight command line utility that takes HTML as stdin, filters it by element types, classes, ids, etc, and spits it out to stdout, so it can be piped easily?

Preferably not written in ruby, python, js, or go. Something that will probably already exist on somebody's install, like perl, sh, or C.

so an HTML parser? only ones i found were by googling

>start ASP.NET MVC
>don't understand shit
>3 weeks later
>grasping the fundamentals but don't feel confident doing anything on my own
>feel like i need another 3 weeks to feel confident to start working on my project
who thought this shit was useful?

>falling for the M$ monopoly framework

lel

they got you

hey /wdg/,

How do I figure out what this piece of code does? I suspect it loads up some ads or some shit. How do I go about decoding this?

//

ps: dashes in script tags... so I don't get autobanned.

it does just inject ad scripts.
Sup Forums won't let me post it because it's considered spam.
pastebin.com/QUH4YZrt

thanks so much user!! how did you go about decoding this stuff? pls tell me.

run it through any js formatter and unescape the escape sequences.

hey /wdg/, stupid question(s) here. if I designed a website for someone from scratch how would they manage it or update it on their own? for example if they want a blog section or a news section. Would I need to convert that entire site into wordpress?

And after they have their domain name along with a place to host, what are some good site managers that would cover this?

I've scored a gig as a html+css dev, but I have the option, to move to Backend as I know a little bit of PHP and JS. This would mean better salary.

I've used PHP in and out for about a year and a half, made some apps using frameworks like symfony and cake, but it was mainly stackoverflowing shit I needed. Now I need to step up my game. What are suitable resources for a non-beginner, non-advanced dev for PHP (OOP, etc.).

>tl;dr Best PHP resources for better than beginner dev

A kid asked me to design a custom theme wordpress blog he will use for adsense in the next five years.

How much do you think I should charge him and more importantly, how much disk space and bandwidth should I reserve from my vps for him?

How much bandwidth and ssd do these scam blogs actually need?

I'm using request.js and want to limit the request rate I do against a server.

require('http').globalAgent.maxSockets = 1;
var request = require('request');

for(var i = 0; i++; i < 10)
request(url, function(err, res, body){
}
}

I thought using globalAgent.maxSockets = 1 would work but it doesn't seem to do shit.

I think I'm retarded guys. What am I doing wrong?
Bought this domain yesterday and I want to route it to my server, but it doesn't work (I made the A record yesterday). I'm a total newb, pls halp.