What are your reasons of using GNU/Linux?

What are your reasons of using GNU/Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2016/10/25/browser-benchmark-battle-october-2016-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-edge/view-all/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It actually consistently fucking installs without having to spend hours of fuckery because some method or configuration of hardware isn't explicitly supported by Windows for one thing

t. somebody spending all day trying to install Windows and can't because it provides absolutely no feedback on why it won't

No viruses, faster and better than Windows and it's a nice feeling of using something different.

Also I like how there is good FOSS everywhere in Linux and I like Linus Torvalds desu.
Now I think I won't comeback to Windows because FPBP and IIRC some user reinstalled Win7 and once he scanned his PC for viruses it got a fuckton of them.

>not knowing hoe to install windows but can install arch
fuckin kek

never said anything about arch

but at least arch will install 100 percent of the time unless you are actually retarded. Windows will decide not to install because you look at it funny

makes me feel smarter than other people.
literally dgaf about muh freedoms or customized kernels.

this

windows is an OS for cucks

Because I need linux administration skills for the jobs Im looking at

so i can feel superior to others over the internet

>When I started with computers, all you had was a command line.
>if you switched your computer off, all the memory disappeared and you had to start again
>Then along came hard drives and with them, windows 3
>I then got a new computer with windows 95 on it
>By that time, I had Windows NT at work
>I then updated my home computer to windows 98
>Then up to windows XP
>But virus after virus just got me down.
>Problem after problem got me down
>So I bought an iMac
>The iMac was comfy
>Until they changed to lion and subsequent software would not run on my hardware
>So I dual booted into Linux
>Wow
>Where have you been all my life?
>So much choice
>So easy to use
>Bought new computer - Windows 8
>Worst 40 minutes of my life
>Wiped and installed Linux
>Why do I like Linux?
>I've been around computing for a long time
>Linux is cheap to use (free)
>Linux is fast
>Linux is stable (if you don't fuck around with it)
>Linux gives me more control of my computer
>Linux does not enforce the commercial interests of anyone else
>There are less viruses in Linux than Windows
>Linux enables me to use older hardware - extending it's life and saving me money.

What computer did you first start with, user?

Sinclair ZX81. Mind-blowing 1k of RAM. 8-bit computing at its best!

>itt: loonixfags trying to come up with problems no one but them has

142 here
I use Linux mostly

better than Windblows, cheaper than Mac. that sums up my reasoning.

Fucking nice

I like ur iq-peen. Pls stroke my unverifiable iq of 420 bruh

Good thing Avast protected you from hacking

>xorg.conf

STALE MEME

Been using Arch for months now and haven't had any problem so far even installing AUR packages

142 is not a big deal
I'm not that bright and I score 130 or so
Your retard is showing

Using an alternative OS makes me feel like my personality has depth, even though I'm just as useless as any other faggot.

It's fun. And it's better than the competition in a few ways (definitely not all though). And being fun, it motivates me to do other things with my computer as well.

>no viruses
Jfc you find yourself able to run a gnu system but can't operate windows without viruses?

>faster and better than Windows
Only for bulk computations (hashing, mining, etc.)
Any general purpose application runs far better on Windows kernel. This includes, but is not limited to, every single browser, game, workstation application, even java virtual machine runs faster on windows.

Also the last two generations of Nvidia cards have lacking openGL performance on linux compared to windows, literally shave 40% performance off.

>Now I think I won't comeback to Windows because FPBP and IIRC some user reinstalled Win7 and once he scanned his PC for viruses it got a fuckton of them.

This sentence doesn't make any fucking sense do you actually think Microsoft ships an iso of their own operating system filled with "viruses"? Do you even know what a virus is?

I'm genuinely baffled somebody this stupid could figure out how to post on this board

>What are your reasons of using GNU/Linux?

Freedom my dude, freedom.

this is a pretty weak reason

>every single browser
Firefox runs as fast as chrome on Linux, yet winfags always shit on it for "being slower than chrome". From my experience browsers run much better on Linux and Linux handles networking better. I benchmarked my connection speed on windows and it only gets around 60-90Mbps, while Linux gets a solid 100-110.

I'm skeptical of this since internet-based benchmarking applications (speedtest, speakeasy, etc.) mean almost nothing.

When running benchmarks on my local network, and/or doing bulk downloads from my 10gbs server, windows just barely outperforms linux.

>Firefox runs as fast as chrome on Linux, yet winfags always shit on it for "being slower than chrome".

Until the past couple years, firefox was faster than chrome, chrome just appeared faster due to clever gimmicks like smoother animations that gave the illusion of speed.

However in the modern day it seems that chrome has surpassed firefox for most things.

Surprisingly edge is very fast, and is unbelievably more efficient than firefox/chrome for power use (adds hours to laptop battery in real-world benchmarks).

See: venturebeat.com/2016/10/25/browser-benchmark-battle-october-2016-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-edge/view-all/

>From my experience browsers run much better on Linux

Perhaps you're running old hardware? Linux generally performs well on old hardware, but for users with the latest and greatest (8-core i7's or xeons, gtx titans, that type of stuff), windows apps generally take the cake in speed.

Its a good platform for servers.

Run a benchmark of freedoms, not rendering. Firefox wins all the time.

Just installed both Chrome and Firefox on my Acer Aspire One D255 running Arch. It's an older system for sure, but between Firefox and Chrome, Chrome was faster. That's not taking into account of startup time, just overall it was faster. Having it run in the background is just a perk when you only want to use your computer for browsing the web.

>battery in real-world benchmarks).
Of course I agree with you there, when we consider that firefox is an open-source platform that handles data and privacy with the utmost respect, slight differences in speed don't matter as much.

>Firefox runs as fast as chrome on Linux

No video playback acceleration though. Chromium can do it. Although for the moment you have to jump through a lot of hoops.

>video playback acceleration
What is this even?

Wish more people would see it like that.

Faster playing videos. At 110% speed. For vlogs.

Hardware acceleration by the video card.

ie. VAAPI or VDPAU support on Linux.

that episode was dope

>not installing a different start menu

Wait, for the most part i dont really see an issue with all that...

skype in an application many linux users are happy to have, all the other stupid widgets or whatever you call them can be easily removed and i dont see them pushing any commercials or anything.

MAYBE you could say that the XBOX shit is an ad, yet, microsoft has a powerful system for gaming in console as well as PC, you cant blame them for showing someting that mac and linux can barely do.

I'm the Administrator. And I'm not talking about the account. I know exactly what my OS is running, why it's running and if it's necessary or not. I can enable or disable any component I want. I know exactly where my config files are located so backing up all my preferences is a piece of cake. Everything can be scripted, I don't need to download shady free-as-in-free-beer executables for basic fucking tasks. I can update my system with one simple command. I can download any software I want with a single command and be sure that it's going to be updated frequently with the rest of my packages.
Also pic related.

just buy enterprise goy

>Sup Forums shills linux for its customization
>customize windows start menu
>called a shill

Are you people retarded or just linux shills?

You can delete every app/ad on the start menu to make it look "normal"

>Are you people retarded or just linux shills?

I'll answer that one for you: both

unpinning != deleting

And there are still toast messaging popping up all over the fucking place. Try Office 365 for free for a month! Hey, did you know with Edge you could get 32% worse battery life and less security? You should consider switching. Hey... before you switch to Chrome, you should consider the fact that Edge is a much shittier browser. Stay with Edge or switch anyways?

Microsoft can lick my sweaty nutsack. I dabbled with Linux back in 2002, but Botnet 10 is the reason I made the permanent switch to Linux this year.

how would i know i don't use windows

freedoms
no spying
ability to customise everything
less shit in every single way

>Jfc you find yourself able to run a gnu system but can't operate windows without viruses?
this is like saying you're an idiot if you get raped

software management with a package manager
freedom; control instead of convenience
more development decisions based on merit rather than marketing strategies

It's free, I can customize it how I like (lightweight, the look and feel, make it do what I want when I want). And I don't game all that much, so it's not a big issue for me, though I know it's for some people. I do occasionally boot into Windows to play games.

Also I feel like it's more secure and private, I feel safer using it, though that's more of an added benefit than main reason. Also, it's really comfy to use a package manager.

lightweight. I'm on a celeron with integrated graphics and it lagged in windows so damn much, but after i installed Xubuntu I've had no issues.

My laptop runs linux and my gaming pc runs windows.

I use the linux one to make purchases and to store sensitive data.

My windows pc never saw my CC info, bank account or paypal info.

Keeps my shit secured.

user pretty much sums it up.

I took the mensa.no test and scored 130.
Joke's that I did it half asleep, have literal brain damage, practically no short term memory and some attention issues.
IQ is meaningless and that test was shit.

Also using arch linux

>the inconsistency in the look of all the icons
>even on native Windows apps