Why isn't text cropping via selection a system-wide thing in windows/osx/linux gui?

Why isn't text cropping via selection a system-wide thing in windows/osx/linux gui?

>select some text
>ctrl+x
>ctrl+a
>ctrl+v

This is unacceptable in the current year.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n4Ss6F1qIHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>select some text
>>ctrl+x
>>ctrl+a
>>ctrl+v
That is already fast enough

>>fast enough
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

/thread

i think what op was refering to is why do different window managers have different paste/copy commands and why isnt it closer to a universal standard?

Both Linux and windows work with ctrl+c, ctrl+v.

Or at least in my experience they do.

>vim
>emacs
>nano

Use Pluma.

>vim
>emacs
1. They have rebindable hotkeys
2. They are older than Windows 3.x

If that bothers you, don't use them, they ain't going to change anything only because of some faggot from 58789231 post.

Becauae theyre commanline applications. The X clipboard is a thing and works for graphical programs.

I think you faggots need to clock back in at Best Buy and look up "crop" on your iphones.

>using a mouse
>using a gui
shiggy diggy

>Both Linux and windows work with ctrl+c, ctrl+v.
NIGGA WAT???

I can't even ctrl+c into my Linux terminal!

Mac got all this shit right: SuperKey+c/v/x works in everything.

Windows/Linux should have used SuperKey instead of fucking Ctrl key.

Another thing that drives me off the wall is QUITTING in Linux. Every fucking program has a different way of quitting. Sometimes it's Ctl+Q, sometimes it's Ctrl+W and sometimes you have to manually click the widget.

Retard.

I bet you don't even know middle click on the mouse pastes from the clipboard. Just go back to windows, it's better suited for people like you.

>middle click
shithead, I don't wanna use my mouse.

and tell me to use something else won't fix the garbage that is Linux UI.

>using mouse
you have no right to say anything

>Mac got all this shit right: SuperKey+c/v/x works in everything.
Have you ever even used vim on mac? No, you clearly haven't you fucking retard

>Why isn't text cropping via selection a system-wide thing in windows/osx/linux gui?
ctrl + insert
shift + insert
ctrl + del

These work on all platforms and even worked back on the DOS days.

>I can't even ctrl+c into my Linux terminal!
Can you in Windows terminal?

>Have you ever even used vim on mac? No, you clearly haven't you fucking retard
I have. For 10 years, you retard. Have a MBP on a desk beside me.. Cmd+C/V works fine inside vim.

>Can you in Windows terminal?
Don't know. Don't use Windows. I'm guessing you can easily paste/copy into Command Prompt but I don't think you can do it in a terminal.

In Linux it's Shift+Ctrl+c or p.

Superkey is bad and you should feel bad.

Use you niggers. That works in virtual TTYs as well as your shoddy arbitrary terminal emulators.

>I have. For 10 years, you retard. Have a MBP on a desk beside me.. Cmd+C/V works fine inside vim.
I'm not talking about the graphical version of vim you fucking reject. cmd-c absolutely does not work unless you first hold down alt while selecting the text using the mouse.

It does work you fucking retard. All you need to set the one liner option in .vimrc. I'll leave it to you to figure it out.

My keyboard doesn't have Insert key.

>t. mactoddler

In Windows, IIRC, it's ctrl+shift+c/v for copy/paste in the command prompt, same as Linux. Reason for the exception on terminals is that ctrl+c has been used for sending the interrupt signal to a process since the Unix days, and no one's going to change that.

I know why. All I'm saying is that Mac way is much better since it's consistent and works in everything.

I wish I could configure things like that in Linux... and shit like Alt+F2 to change a filename (the most retarded keyboard shortcut ever).

gnome/xfce terminal shit tier
in urxvt it's Ctrl+Alt+c by default

I don't think that eMACs and vi are older than Xerox Alto.

Explain this:
IBM developed Pointing Stick a.k.a. TrackPoint in 1990 to navigate the cursor without leaving the home row for mouse (which was originally developed for graphic applications), trackball, off-centered arrows, without memorizing monstrous combinations and fucking up your text.
And yet most computers today have touch pad (successor of trackball) under the keyboard, mouse and arrow keys. Why
youtube.com/watch?v=n4Ss6F1qIHU

>urxvt
worst terminal ever. can't even get font rednering right. Xfce-termianl master race.

Medical science can't yet fully explain the cause of autism.

>touch pad
>trackball successor
no

>worst terminal ever. can't even get font rednering right. Xfce-termianl master race.
xfce-terminal and rxvt-unicode both use xft/fontconfig/freetype, the font rendering is identical.

>and shit like Alt+F2 to change a filename (the most retarded keyboard shortcut ever).
It's just F2; alt+F2 brings up the "Run" dialogue (like win+r on windows)

It is situated exactly where trackball was on most powerbooks, under the keyboard on the palmrest.
Notebooks without trackball had no palmrest at all and either had analog stick on the lid or ghb trackpoint.

while i dont want to start anything i do agree there are some valid arguments here guys

in linux we have a bit of variation regarding:

wm/desktop
editors
browsers
console
terminal

now while all of these are adaptable thanks to the inherent flexibility of linux

maybe we should focus on more of a standard layout for shortcuts in our software stacks?

for developers, just giving the option of pre-sets or profiles of key binds/macros ect, will go along way

it doesnt have to adhere to mac/windows or bsd standards

just my 2cents

But framebuffer virtual terminal is always the same, it doesn't even depend on wheter the userland is gnu, android or busybox.

>TrackPoint
Honestly I don't really like trackpoints since they are fundamentally accelerational (think like the joystick in gaming consoles) rather than 1:1 like a mouse.
You can make much (much, much) more precise and fast movements with a mouse than you can with a trackpoint.

They do have standardized shortcuts.
Its called vim-like.

There are so many ways to copy & paste in linux it's retarded
>select text for copy in terminal
>middel Mouse or shift+insert to paste
>ctrl+c & ctrl+v in browsers & other gui apps

You don't need absolutely precise movements inside text processor, but it certainly is faster and more convenient than pressing command-alt-j or arrows.

>is faster and more convenient than pressing command-alt-j or arrows.
Depends how fast you've got your key repeat speed set

you can control shift v into the terminal, works on vim

>double click text to copy
>right click to paste
Works on my machine.