Are "pro" distros a meme?

>wanted to finally escape the windows botnet
>dualboot Linux Mint with Cinnamon and W10
>tell myself I will switch to more 1337 distro when I become better with Linux
>started reading The Linux Bible, taking Unix Administration classes at uni
>several months later, I am actually pretty solid
>realized all the superb programmers who lectured us at uni use either ubuntu, or fedora with absolutely minimum rice
>realized haven't seen Arch or Gentoo once
>realized I'm satisfied with Mint, it's super comfy and has everything I need
Is this the final redpill? Are the "n00b" distros perfectly okay for productive people with jobs?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/mint-18-1-review-forget-about-wayland-and-get-comfy-with-the-command-line/2/
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are the "n00b" distros perfectly okay for productive people with jobs?

Yes.

Only NEET Spergs care about the Arch and Gentoo.

Yes.

But Mint is horrible because the dev doesn't care about security. If you are knowledgeable about linux (security) then of course you'll be fine. But for beginners it is pretty bad. Don't recommend it to them.

TL;DR Don't worry about what anyone else is using, use what you like....and avoid Mint.

There is literally no difference between distros.
Only package managers and repos.

>But Mint is horrible because the dev doesn't care about security.
Quit spreading FUD. Mint is secure.

OP, just go for LM. it's the best distro.

Of course.
Only a mentally insane would use a distro which has a good chance of dying if you update it, while doing impoortant work on it.
If you have a job you dont want to spend hours repairing your OS instead of working.

"it just werks" is not a meme, people with realy jobs need something that will not break.

>dev doesn't care about security
Care to elaborate.
I've received a patch before every announcement of an exploit in recent memory.

>dev doesn't care about security
Is this because the website hack year ago? Or the delayed updates? My update policy is set up to Update everything and I always use the most recent kernel too

>Care to elaborate.
their wordpress got hacked. now all these autists are claiming the OS itself is insecure. just ignore their spergings.

Stop being so sensitive.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/mint-18-1-review-forget-about-wayland-and-get-comfy-with-the-command-line/2/
>While 99 percent of my experience with Linux Mint has been positive, I find that the Update Manager is one place this distro falls on its face. Mint users tend to get defensive about this point because Mint has gone to the trouble to build its own Update Manager

>Labeling a setting "don't break my computer" implies that the other options will break your computer, which is almost guaranteed to scare a new users into choosing that option. That's a huge disservice to novice users, and it's out of place with the rest of Mint. If Mint really can't provide a stable up-to-date system without blocking upstream updates, I would suggest everyone stop using it. The thing is, Mint can provide that, it has just made some poor UI decisions in its Update Manager

All linux are the same under the hood. What differentiates one distro from another is the UI skin and package management system. You can interchange DE's and components. Like how you can run Cinnamon on Ubuntu with apt or Cinnamon on Arch with Pacman.

Don't be tricked by the asshole meme lords when they tell you to install Arch/Gentoo or some exotic dick sucking distro no one has heard of since 1980.

Use whatever makes you feel comfortable. Linux Mint is most popular distro next to Ubuntu and even professionals like to use it because it is aesthetic and easy to install.

>Care to elaborate.
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>their wordpress got hacked. now all these autists are claiming the OS itself is insecure. just ignore their spergings.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the wordpress "hack". Anyone who knows how to use Google can read up on the issues.

Mint is bad for beginners. Clem is to blame.

That's not 'not caring about security'
That's wording a UI tooltip in a way that might encourage some people to chose to run older versions of software.

>Again, Mint can be just as secure as any other distro. The problem is that it actively encourages users not to value security via poorly chosen defaults and user interface messages.
This is just one article out of many that point out flaws with Mint. Clem does a poor job wrt security. It is easy enough for folks with some knowledge to fix. But it is really bad for newbies.

>That's not 'not caring about security'
Ok user.

Quit feeding the troll. That guy's a retard and an autistic manchild who needs some shitty distro to babysit to fulfill his life's ambitions.

They are. People want a system that lets them focus on what they find interesting, for arch and gentoo shitters it's ricing.

I would consider Manjaro/Antergos (Arch) noob distros. They are very easy to install and maintain. Most of my experience in the past was with Linux in the 90's early 00's though.

Manjaro w/ i3 + passthrough and I'm comfy.

same boat as OP. No need to quit using Mint because it's great. Plus, building several programs i use from source was a huge pain in the ass that I do not want to repeat. Also, getting League of Legends to work was a pain in the ass that I don't want to repeat

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mint.
I prefer the MATE Edition, because Gnome 2 was GOAT.

Easy to maintain for somebody who knows what he's doing. Sooner or later something is bound to break and require some work to repair.
Eg. I would not install it on my mom's computer, that's what Mint is for.

I've been using debian since day 1, never even tried another distro

Arch and gentoo are a Sup Forums meme and only stupid weebs use it for their minimalistic riced video players. Its absurd and stupid and a fucking waste of life. I get that you want to customize your working enviorment but theres always a sane limit.

Jump between a few distros see what you like and decide. I used ubuntu, mint, debian, fedora for work.

Currently using fedora at work and it works as a charm and I like it alot. Everything worked out of the box and installed anything that I need with minimal hassle.

The only minus side is that its a rolling distro so you are supposed to keep upgrading because theres no LTS. But meh its managable.

If the distro is functional, it's okay. That's all. But if you're not a dumb fucking idiot you'll want to switch to Gentoo / Exherbo / LFS. Fuck Arch.

>Ubuntu
Literally Debian for babies. I love Linux but I only really use it for headless servers, no rice required.

How do you get rid of the cashew thing? It's fucking annoying

>Is this the final redpill? Are the "n00b" distros perfectly okay for productive people with jobs?
Yes.

I've been going on and off linux distros for the last 12 years OP. There is no "pro" or "noob" distro. There are just distros that will not waste your time, and others that will waste your time, but give you more customization options (that you could also make on a non-time-wasting distro, if you wanted to waste time).

Just use whatever the fuck works best for you. Don't listen to Sup Forums's memes.
I personally use Ubuntu GNOME LTS and I fucking love it. it's smooth, it's stable, it does everything I want it for, and in case I want something that is windows specific, I just dual boot.

nice meme faggot
mint is no less secure than any ubuntu distro

>it has absolutely nothing to do with
>links to same thing
just kill yourself. their wordpress got broken into the ISO got changed
the fucking torrent NEVER has had security issues and that's all you should use. especially when downloading LEGAL software

yes you are right op but if you want full enlightenment i suggest you try LMDE

or Linux Mint Debian Edition. Its Valhalla. The Perfect mix of Newbie "just workz" with Glorious Cinnamon and the Godfather Debian DNA from which it was spawned without the Canonical Ubuntu Repos.

All hail LMDE - the most popular - unpopular distro

install linux mint cinnamon
install build-essential cmake git checkinstall
anything not in default repos or too out of date get from github and make you're own debs with checkinstall.
>AUR who?
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH USING A 4.4 LTS KERNEL. IT'S THE LAST DIGITS THAT ARE THE PATCH LEVEL, NOT THE FIRST 2, YOU NUMB-NUTS RETARDS!!!1!
Or just get newer kernel debs from the ubuntu mainline kernels download page if your hardware needs it.

I just use stock Ubuntu, but with a different WM that I like a little better. It's fun to rice at home, but for work you need something that won't implode randomly when you update it.

This, except I'm using ubuntu MATE LTS.

They're fine if you are comfortable and happy with using them. The important thing is what's comfortable for you to use. Are you actually using your computer or are you spending the majority of your time figuring out how to actually use your computer? Those are a couple questions you should ask yourself.

Using distros like Gentoo and Arch just allow you to see more of what happens during the initial setup behind the scenes. Once the systems are up and running, the end user experience is very similar across all distros. Now, back in 2002 when I first got into Linux, it was all about downloading source files and manually extracting the source files and compiling them. Today, it's not so much like that. Whether you use Gentoo, Arch, Mint, Debian, or whatever distro you decide to use, you have a package manager at your fingertips that make it extremely easy to install and remove packages.

The whole reason to use Gentoo or Arch is these distros out of the box is literally just a kernel and nothing more. You have to build your OS based around your needs, where Mint and Ubuntu and distros like that come complete with a WM and a DE fresh out of the box.

That is literally the only difference for your typical user.

Oh and don't use Unity if you ever switch to Ubuntu. It's literally a GNU/Linux version of Botnet 10.

Think of it this way: wangblows 10 is to mint what mint is to gentoo.

If only this held a smidgen of truth.

which says fuck all, doesn't it?