First time switching from windows to linux which os should i use Ubuntu,XUbuntu,or Mint?

First time switching from windows to linux which os should i use Ubuntu,XUbuntu,or Mint?

gentoo

install gentoo

Install Ubuntu minimal

I hope you're comfortable with reading documentation.

Debian.

Ubuntu is a botnet, Mint is unsecure and fuck XUbuntu for no reason.

Debian is the best. Unless you're retarded you shouldn't have a problem making it work.

Xubuntu Core

Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, or Arch. Take your pick.

Xubuntu, as it's lighter on resources.

Out of the choices you've listed, anything but Mint. Mint is just for people who want Windows but without any sort of compatibility.

Install mint. It's like a good windows.

Go for Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

Mint and Ubuntu Jewnity are meme-tier.

kde

Don't listen to the fags who say Ubuntu is a botnet. They're basement nerds who think everyone is trying to snoop into their loli folders.

I'd recommend sticking with Windows, by the way. It just works. Also you get games.

actually debian

Arch

Antergos

Pajeet's first post.

>. It just works. Also you get game
you can't make this shit up

KDE Neon

don't listen to Sup Forums and go with Ubuntu

Unity is comfy, everything just works and there's a huge community around it

xubuntu for sure

Mint and Ubuntu unity are terrible.

XUbuntu is acceptable if you can deal with Cannonical being shady.

Manjaro is also good if you hate the CLI. Otherwise, Debian, Arch, Antergos, Gentoo, Centos are all good.

Windows

Debian Stretch or Ubuntu MATE LTS?

I tried Ubuntu vanilla a few years back and hated it (that unity desktop environment was trash), and tried Linux Mint with MATE and liked it more but it was a lil too fucky for me.

I intend on using a Linux drive as my day to day desktop while keeping my Windows drive for software that I can't use on Linux.

Debian seems nifty since it's the granddaddy of all the popular distros and stable just works but I dunno if I could get behind how you are always using outdated software. Ubuntu seems better in that regard and from what I read it's better for gayming

literally any, you're going to switch back to windows after a few days at most.

I'd go with Ubuntu Mate LTS. Debian Stretch is still working out some kinks currently. Plus with an Ubuntu based distro you have access to PPA, which are a godsend for getting software that isn't in the official repositories.

>manjaro, the distro of time travelers

I'm currently using Debian Testing with MATE and it's very stable.
If you want games and need proprietary drivers, an LTS version of Ubuntu is better because it isn't a moving target and only gets security fixes.

Whoops, forgot to add that by debian stretch i meant the stable release that is coming soonish. I won't be buying my 2nd HDD for a few months and until then I can wait. I know I could dual boot but I'm still newbish and I'd rather keep all my partition fuckery contained to a drive that doesn't have all my Windows info.

Does that change the answer or is Ubuntu MATE still what I should go with?

Then it doesn't really matter whether you get Debian Stable or Ubuntu MATE LTS.
Unless you have a GCN-based AMD GPU. Then you should install Ubuntu MATE LTS because it has official support for amdgpu-pro drivers.

xubuntu

Xubuntu is the best

Alright, thanks.

I'm going to throw a curveball and say you should install Debian as your first distro.
It won't work quite how you want it to, but you'll make it work, and you'll learn some things along the way.
Also make sure you completely erase Windows lest you keep coming back to it and end up installing ransomware.

Mint. Cinnamon > *

if you thought you were going to get a straight answer from people here you are sorely mistaken

the correct is arch though, because in my opinion if you want to use linux it's very convenient to learn how to use it a pretty good amount while you install it

i'd personally set aside like a day or so to read the arch wiki and guides thoroughly to achieve what you'd like to achieve and by the time you have an OS ready for daily use, using it will come a whole lot more naturally

Debian has NSA/systemd now. Devuan is comfy on my desktop but I still run Jessie with sysv on my NAS.

Since it is your first time switching to Linux from Windows, try Mint. It is the distribution that feels most like Windows. Once you get comfortable with Linux later, you can choose to keep Mint, or try another distribution

I have been a life long user of Windows until about last week. I picked up "Linux Bible 9th edition" from library and wiped Windows off my computer and installed Fedora. It's been so great, screw microsoft.

Antergos KDE or KDE Neon. If you want a working file picker and no screen tearing out of the box that is.

Try Slackware. It's the comfiest distro there is and uses BSD-style init.

antergos for a newbie is a bad recommendation

antergos is convenient but will frustrate someone who didn't properly learn how to use arch first

Arch Linux with XFCE

>2017
>not using gentoo

Xubuntu tbqhfamalambamdingdong, or install gentoo

You can use XFCE with devuan/debian just be aware the version shipped with LTS is like 3 years old.

don't do it

Actually I think Debian Stretch is entering code freeze very soon which should have a newer version of XFCE. So maybe wait for that.

I use Xubuntu. It's comfy and just works.

Slackware.

Xbuntu for sure. Ubuntu is decent but Xbuntu is much lighter and less bullshit. Mint is just Ubuntu with better system updating.

For a complete beginner in the GNU/Linux community I'd recommend you install Ubuntu as your first distro. From there let things take their natural turn. Good luck

Ubuntu Mate

Try Lubuntu, it's even more resource-efficient than Xubuntu.

Why do I get an error when booting to Xubuntu. Doesn't seem to affect anything, there's just an error window at every start up. Also the GUI software download thing is broken.

Oh, is neon stable now? How many weird unexplainable bugs does it have?

>Ubuntu,XUbuntu,or Mint?
You do realise you ask whether to pick Ubuntu, Ubuntu, or Ubuntu, right?

Mint Cinnamon > Xubuntu > Ubuntu unity if you're coming from Windows. Personally, I think Unity is confusing DE I wouldn't use it, it's like macOS or a tablet OS

It's more like Ubuntu Botnet Edition, Ubuntu Unpolished Edition and Ubuntu Bloatware Edition

Peppermint OS

MATE
Xubuntu is really outdated
Mint is not secure, the devs are lazy and don't even hash check their own download files
Ubuntu is fine

>First time switching from windows to linux

shitty thread but I'm actually impressed at your foresight, you realize that you will crawl back to windows several times before giving up on Linux.

Unironically this. Debian is the only mainstream, well-supported distribution that has never massively fucked me over.

install gentoo GNU/Linux and mate.

Why is systemmd bad, again?

asking for a friend

fuck ubuntu flavours.

Can i use Debian with unity without being fuck over ?

gentoo

I don't think you can use Unity with Debian.

xubuntu

I use Linux Mint as a desktop OS, and i'm happy with it for the most part. I personally don't play computer games, I own video gaming consoles for that. So I'm not restricted by that kinda stuff and feel "forced" to use Windows.

Here and there, it happens that some software isn't 100% compatible. I imagine Ubuntu is better in that regard, but i'm too lazy to switch operating systems.
I suggest you try Ubuntu unless you care about muh amazon botnet (which, if you already own an amazon account, doesn't really matter, unlike Micros*ft)

Love that mouse

install gentoo

HUMAN IS FISH, XUBUNTU IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX... IF YOU WANNA BELİEVE TO LINUX, YOU MUST BELİEVE TRUE DİSTRO. XUBUNTU DİD NOT CHANGE BUT OTHER DISTRO CHANGED. SO FUTURE IS XUBUNTU, XUBUNTU IS LOVE, HUMANITY AND FRIENDSHİP DISTRO. WİTH MY BEST WİSHES...

Fedora or Debian are the only correct answers

LMDE 2.0
It looks like Linux Mint but is a Debian Distro.

>flawless sensor
explain.

You are what is wrong with Sup Forums today.

Devuan masterrace!!!

kek

Xubuntu

so close

Debra+Ian and XFCE

I'll see you in the other side, OP :)

Xubuntu is great

8/25

fug, i've been here too long. the memes are inside me

>not xubuntu minimal

You've already made a mistake.

Linuxlite

I simply installed it, got used to the desktop (XFCE) and immediately copped my browser profile from windows.

About three million

Start with Mint

Now that's more like the KDE I remember!

I installed Xubuntu on my 10+ year old 300 or 500 mb ram laptop for shits and giggles and it worked barely.

Forgot to add on yeah you should totally go with that for minimum resources used.

Manjaro is pretty nice, imo easier for noobs than debian

Xubuntu will do you fine. Don't listen to the spergs.

Xubuntu gave me screen tearing, which was more than I knew how to deal with at the time so I use lubuntu.

>it's a bye baby buntu codifies his butthurt into an image episode