/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Get freedom respecting computers:
gnu.org/links/companies.html

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6828207/
Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/MainInstall
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/WebSERVER
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/Config
bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-58423
pastebin.com/yJ0x0Jvi
howtoeverything.net/linux/issues/finally-no-more-tearing-anywhere-mate-desktop-and-compiz
i.imgur.com/BVH7ytp.gif?1
github.com/pipeseroni/pipes.sh
github.com/pipeseroni/pipesX.sh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree, however you don't take in consideration that Arch users are the worst.

>I agree, however you don't take in consideration that Arch users are the worst.
*script kiddies

People hate what they can't understand, it's human nature.

If you chose not to like something, why do you keep talking about it?

fuck off namefag

It's my thread

Because even with the simple, straightforward, and concise instructions provided, I can't install it.

why would you want to

I hate what I want, but cannot get.

Who are you to determine his preference?

The world will look up and shout -- "Stallman save Us!"
And I will look down and whisper -- "GNO.."

I'm on F25 and am trying to get rutorrent to work. I'm sure I compiled rtorrent right with xmlrpc support and all, and I put the config lines where they go, but ultimately rutorrent doesn't sense rtorrent's presence. I don't believe that xmlrpc is even on. What should I do?

There are logs for everything, no?

Use the httprpc plugin instead.

use transmission instead

github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/MainInstall
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/WebSERVER
github.com/Novik/ruTorrent/wiki/Config

What's the best way to find the fastest repository on Ubuntu?

I have experienced before that the thingie that finds the best one isn't that good at doing its job. It's more based on location for sure, but sometimes I will get faster speeds from repositories in a different country.

to whoever was being an utter cunt to me in the other thread about fixing my mpv, i fixed it myself

if nobody else already did that, simply write a script to test the download speed from a list of repo.

it was me.
i'm extremely glad you made it buddy

kind of feel better for figuring it out myself i guess

how does a "full system upgrade" looks like in gentoo and how much time would it takes?
I mean the equivalent of a "apt-get udpdate && apt-get upgrade" or "pacman -Syu"

depends on how much needs updating, use flag changes etc. and your hardware. there is no approximation as every system is entirely different

the thing about gentoo is (at least i think that's the case correct me if im wrong) when a new kernel comes out , portage will download the sources for you and you have to compile it yourself. If its a bunch of light stuff then not long. If you however have to update the kernel or god forbid chromium your in for a while

That's turned off

Sorry should have been more clear It won't let me log in, it will just show the log in screen

Possibly, don't remember DESU

so there is some command like "emerge --updateall --donotfuckthesystem -v -j4" which will download the last version of the source of any installed "package" and compile it automatically?

yes, you can update the entire system in a single command with portage. do expect to do some troubleshooting however, sadly the --dontfucksystem switch tends to fail, but is usually solved quickly.

yeah, btw gentoo is lightning fast, i was reading something a few days ago which discussed the advantages of compiling everything from source. Basically you get streamline optimisation for you CPU features which results in very efficient code.

can someone with good font rendering tell me the files in their /etc/font/conf.d?

"No such file or directory".

10-hinting-slight.conf
10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf
11-lcdfilter-default.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-serif.conf
20-unhint-small-vera.conf
30-metric-aliases.conf
30-urw-aliases.conf
31-cantarell.conf
40-nonlatin.conf
45-gelasio.conf
45-latin.conf
45-opensans.conf
49-sansserif.conf
50-user.conf
51-local.conf
57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
57-dejavu-sans.conf
57-dejavu-serif.conf
60-latin.conf
65-fonts-persian.conf
65-nonlatin.conf
69-unifont.conf
80-delicious.conf
81-ubuntu.conf
90-synthetic.conf
90-tt-gelasio.conf
90-tt-opensans.conf

Besides 81-ubuntu.conf, they're all softlinked to same-named files in ../conf.avail/.

he probably means "/etc/fonts/conf.d"

Just updated plasma to 5.9. Dafuggg?? Am I fell for the cia nsa botnet bitcoin miner?

Sup Forums- the place where ubuntu and fedora users ask linux related questions in the hope an Arch or Gentoo user will answer them.

no problem here, but wayland support is temporally fucked by this qt bug:
bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-58423

Went through all of those. I'm telling you, it's xmlrpc. I probably fucked something up when I tried to compile it before I realized I could just install it with DNF.

Are any of these files relevant to general use? They all got removed when I tried to remove xmlrpc and didn't come back when I reinstalled it.
pastebin.com/yJ0x0Jvi

In fact, does Fedora have some kind of tool that will reset every program and every system config file back to how it was when I installed it? I can't find my flash drive and would rather not perform the hack I did to install the OS in the first place.

AMD GPU, Ubuntu MATE, Compiz and Chromium.

I get tearing on Chromium. My only fix so far is to use Compton instead, but is there any fix for Compiz?

howtoeverything.net/linux/issues/finally-no-more-tearing-anywhere-mate-desktop-and-compiz
step 3

Nevermind, I got this weird ass behavior:

>With chromium opened, switched to Compton
>no tearing, tried youtube video, fine until I watch it on full screen, then it gets the tearing
>switch back to compiz
>same behavior as before, try a youtube video, same thing
>switch back to compton again, compiz again
>chromium gets some graphic corruption, I kill the process
>start chromium with compiz there
>no more tearing, not even on youtube videos on full screen

...I don't know

did they remove aptitude in Debian 9?

It's gone after reboot. And it came back after i opened and closed bundled konsole panel in dolphin. Weird.

I bought a MacBook Pro and I hate it. Returning it tomorrow for a refund. I don't like OSX as much as I thought I would and I miss GNU/Linux.

I still want a nice ultrabook but the caveat is it must support at least a modern GNU/Linux distro such as Arch or Fedora. I don't want to buy used. Is this possible or must I buy a slightly older machine to have everything work properly? I haven't had a new computer in a decade other than this shitty MBP.

looking for a bit of help
i just use startx instead of lightdm since i think it's ugly, but on my new install of debian after i decrypt my drive the screen goes black. i can ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a terminal and login there, so i guess it doesn't really matter, i'm just wondering why this happens

Did you have a login manager installed before? Maybe it wasn't removed properly

i never had one

Did you install a DE when you installed it? That would install a DM by default too.

maybe for some strange reason it's not starting getty on tty1?

i got xfce during the install

Why not just buy a non-apple laptop? I don't think many people have much experience running Linux on apple products to be able to answer your question.

In my experience though the only real concern about getting hardware that's too new is with the wifi. In some cases it might take a while before it's fully supported.

I meant an ultrabook as in a windows one. Sorry for not being specific.

XPS 13?

I think that says more about you than the distribution

I think that was a shitpost to make fun of people who shitpost about arch

Will java compile faster on Linux compared to osx?

It depends on your hardware, not OS. If your Thinkpad has worse hardware than your iMac, the iMac will compile faster and vice versa.

what do i do when i get error while updating system?
i cant update ttf-dejavu and python2-setuptools

every time i add --ignore for this two, but is there any solution?

On the exact same hardware

What error?

this is for python2
гpeшкa: нeycпeлo извpшaвaњe пpeнoca (cyкoб фaјлoвa)
python2-setuptools: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.pyc пocтoји y cиcтeмy фaјлoвa
Дoшлo јe дo гpeшкe, пaкeти ниcy нaдoгpaђeни.

translated would be something like this

error: interrupted ~transfer~
python-||-..... .pyc exists in file system
There was an error, packages are not upgraded

So the package manager find some files he doesn't expect. For python packages this may happen for example if you install stuff with pip (or any other Python package manager). Otherwise it maybe me a bug with the package itself (like a conflict with another package) and in this case you should report this to your disto's maintainers.

I'm looking for a decent serial terminal emulator. I've used minicom in the past, but there's a lot I don't like about it, I'd love to be able to pick arbitrary baud rates and now I'm talking to devices that expect CRLF line endings, and minicom has no option for sending both CR and LF on enter.
What does /fglt/ recommend?

termite or urxvt

Is slackware a meme or is it actually a usable distro with legitimate advantages? It seems like a much shittier version of Gentoo, minus the package manager, and conflict resolution/dependencies make you want to kill yourself (as well apparently being a bloated and incoherent mess of code)

>try to install ubuntu to get away from windows
> do everything correctly wiwith formatting my usb with Rufus
>Ubuntu (and elementaryos) just fucking REFUSE to install. The installation screens after start pop up but it keeps saying it fails to start show Plymouth boot screen
>it worked the first time but I had to quit for something
> keeps telling me to check like Plymouth-start.service
Have no fucking clue what that is and found nothing online about it.

This is obnoxious as fuck, and I have no clue what to do.

Jeбo тe питoн.

this is funny to be because as an ubuntu user, anything even slightly off the beaten path I do requires consulting arch wiki.

don't listen to name fields are there for a reason (to be used)
you are a great poster and deserve to be recognized

can you boot into a live enviroment and use it?

when using dd how do you figure out what bs= is?
for example

dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=8192k

installing to a 16gb FAT32 formatted usb.

I want to set up my programming IDE but internet keeps my productivity low.

What I want to achieve is:
1. Openbox/Fluxbox or whatever WM that has mouse cursor (Must)
2. Something like a permanent dmenu panel so I can quickly open programs. (Must)
3. My favourite terminal emulator should start at startup (Optional)

Give me your recommendation.

bs means block size, which is how much data dd will read and write at a time. It copies bs bytes from the input file into memory, then writes them to the output file.
Too small a block size means a lot of reads and writes, which can be slow. Too large a block size uses more memory.
Some devices have an intrinsic block size, like tape drives, and require that block size. But for flash drives and hard drives, I don't think it matters too much. I usually pick something like 16M.
The default block size is only 512, so you really should always specify one.

1 and 3 are a piece of cake, if I understand correctly. I'm not aware of any WM's that don't have a mouse cursor. For 3 it depends on what WM/DE you use but they all come with ways to specify start scripts/programs when they start up.

As for 2, I know there are panels that have dropdown menus, but not sure of anything that looks like an always active dmenu

So as long as the device being written too doesn't require a specific bs it doesn't have a huge effect? With the bs=8192 I write all my iso's in only a few seconds anyway I suppose it doesn't matter.

test

test

>lightning fast
>optimisation

Yeah, gotta love that 0,5% performance increase for most everyday tasks.
Kill yourself for spreading false enthusiasm, myths and exaggerating things.

>installing things without using the package manager
>possibly using the AUR
>not posting English error messages

Ubij se.

>debian cinnamon minty-y
I'm using a dark theme and it's affecting my web browser
Does anyone know a good work around to force another gtk theme for my browser?

I have Mint set to the 2nd level of updates but apt update gives me a bunch more upgrades. Are those two synced in some way or should I ignore apt and let everything go through the GUI updater?

which browser? If Chromium, there is a setting to ignore the global gtk theme

My [ and ] got toggled with { and } in firefox
wat do?

I might give chromium a try
It's firefox, but a different version you get shipped with debian

>mfw happened to check my Xorg.0.log and found out that radeon was using EXA instead of glamor
>put Option "AccelMethod" "glamor" and Option "TearFree" "on" to radeon.conf
>restart Xfce
>it's way smoother with less visual artifacts
I hope this shit doesn't sperg out. My card is quite old HD 6850

btw, Xfce's compositor is disabled. In fact, I haven't installed any. Radeon's Vsync/whatever seems to work magics

Is Mints security and back end as bad as I've heard?

Chromium works perfectly, thanks!
Now I have a new issue, how do I fix the horrible font rendering I am experiencing in chromium?

all I know is, there are font settings under Web Content

if that doesn't work maybe hunt around for some extensions

I have a .txt file with a whole bunch of words prefixed with a +. What's an easy way to quickly change all the + signs to -?

Nevermind I was looking at some overcomplicated scripts you can do it with

sed -ie 's/oldcharacter/newcharacter/g' output.txt

WhatFont says under Font Family: Helvetica, Arial, "Bitstream Vera Sans", Verdana, sans-serif at 13px.

it's also my chromium/firefox GUI font. any webpage that uses Helvetica and Arial look wrong. the screenshot might not show it but it's too thin, small, spaced out, feint and just renders badly. everything else looks how it should. do you know what the issue is and what i can do to fix it?

what are the things running in the terminals here? i.imgur.com/BVH7ytp.gif?1 I recognise hack-exe, but I cant remember the name of the matrix and pipe things.

Sometimes I feel like it's like a drug.

I am going to install linux mint in my desktop, i have been working with it in my laptop for over a year and i am wondering if there is a way i can easily transfer all my programs without compability issues.(Desktop is amd, and my laptop has a combo intel/nvidia)

github.com/pipeseroni/pipes.sh
github.com/pipeseroni/pipesX.sh
The other one looks like cmatix, but there are millions of variants/scripts.

cmatrix*

what do you mean transfer your programs? just run the commands on the desktop to install the ones you need. it's the same OS, there will not be compatibility issues with it.

Keep a list of your favorite packages, then just apt-get them on your other systems.

Laptop:

dpkg --get-selections | awk '!/deinstall|purge|hold/ {print $1}' > packages.list.save

Desktop:
xargs -a "packages.list.save" sudo apt-get install

hi /lgbt/

Is there any player on linux that behaves similarly to iTunes?

Let me explain. If you drag files to the program (or to a specific folder) music gets added and organized into a library. You can then change how it's tagged and it will automagically reorganize it depending on those settings. Anything like that on linux?