Arduino, Edison and Pi projects

I wanna start creating some cool stuff with Arduino, Intel Edison or Raspberry Pi.

I've been looking around on the net for some cool projects to inspire me, but most projects I see are just:
>Tell binary time with the use of LEDs
>Show weather info and local temp on monitor
>Make a twitter robot
>Voltmeters
>Parking lot sensor
>Useless robotic arms
>+++

At the moment I plan to create something as mundane as a voice operated Smart Mirror where I can add notes in my calendar and shopping list info when I'm at the kitchen or bathroom and maybe a Lidar or ultrasound oriented Drone that follows me automatically where I move.

What are some projects that you would recomend?

PS. I've been thinking of making a prosthetic arm aswell for the fun of it, but the usefullness aint really there until I can make it great for people who need it.

I NEED TIPS!

mmmm. Always Be Knolling.

Nobody who does anything else than those boring examples they show on the "geek" sites?

I want to make something useful or really REALLY cool.

Maybe also a Webservice for my kitchen where I log everything I buy and input the Best Before date which tells me when I have to buy more food.

I did some stuff with arduino that was useful for me. The thing is, you're going at it from the butt end. You just wanna "built cool stuff" but don't know what? How the fuck are you going to do that if you don't even know what you want? Don't browse internet for inspiration, go around your house or garage or car and think if something can be improved. Never understood you guys that buy all this shit and have absolutely no idea what to build with it.

if you are thinking about using an old laptop LCD be careful, I bought a chink screen controller that I was assured would work for my LCD model and after waiting for a month to receive it, it didn't work. I suspect they wired the LVDS cable wrong and the wires are so tiny I can't reconfigure them myself. Waste of 30 dollars : /

Why not an make a semi-portable arcade?

I saw all the shit laid out on a table and I got excited thinking it was an EDC thread. I jumped and giggled with autistic glee as slammed the tendie plate down and right clicked this thread. I read the OP and I am now extremely disappointed. I'm here, so I may as well brainstorm some ideas for a RasPi 3.

>a security camera
>a drone to bomb the mexicans
>a smartphone
>a very niggerish desktop pc
>a self-guided rocket (thanks ukraine)
>a homemade laptop (actually something I would try myself)
>a music player
>a robot that operates a small catapult that throws chicken nugs

If you read my whole post you'd see that there is actually 2 projects I'm planning on doing (just ordered parts).

The thing is that most site on the net that is dedicated to Arduino, Pi etc... are just filled with junk projects purely for the purpose of learning.

I know how to do it because I work with things like this professionaly.

Siemens, Omron, Beckhoff controllers towards ABB and Kuka robots together with vision, Lidars, scanners etc...

I want to create something that is really cool.

Like the automatic environment scanners from Prometheous, firefighting drones where you scan the room with the use of ultrasonic sensors in the middle of the smoke.

So I want to know what people has made.

Nope!

That's on my list of shitty gimmicky projects with no purpose for me. Even less for show-off in front of friends.

Buid a self bondage chair. Put straps and restrains on a seteable timer, automated dildos, vibrators and other stimulant paraphernalia.
Just don't die while using it unsupervised.

>unsupervised

Should I do it inside a shopping mall maybe?

>it's another EDC thread

BDSM is safer if you got a partner. Self bondage is risky. The shopping mall may be a good idea if you have an exhibitionism fetish.

>shitty gimmicky projects with no purpose

Doesn't that pretty much sum up the capabilities of the raspi and arduino?

Currently using one to design a system that will allow you to drive manual car like you would a motorcycle, with the clutch on a handle. This summer I'm going to use one to make my garden water itself.

/You/ need to think of something that interests you and make it exactly the way you want it. No matter how "cool" the idea is, if you didn't think of it you probably won't be all that interested in doing it.

Personally, I want to DIY a palmtop. Something like the old HP 200LX form factor (obviously clunkier since it's DIY), but with an rpi zero or something as the brain. I'm holding out until I can think of a way to do it with truly impressive battery life.

Best way to make an alarm clock with timing for each day of week?

I installed Pi-VPN and pi-hole. That's pretty much it.

I should really build a drone.

My first project was a maze solver robot. Using the right-hand rule.

Integrating it into other hobbies is what I usually do. For example, I'm currently making a temperature control system for a fermentation vessel. I have one temperature probe in my heat exchanger and one in my fermenter. Power to the heater will turn on once the fermenter is below the optimum. I'll have all this sent to Plot.ly to make real-time monitoring graphs where I'll hopefully be able to assess heating trends and exchanger lag times based on the current specific gravity of beer (I don't think there will be a huge difference, but seeing the data would be neat)

I have wondered why the clutch isn't a hand control. If I was doing a project like that I would get a gaming joystick and retrofit the handle as a gear stick with the trigger button as the clutch.

I'm building an atomic clock, it's just blueprints for now but will be real soon
>measuring rubidium for clock
>microcontroller running BSD as an rsync server (or NTP, haven't looked into it too much)
My only question is what will be the best way to initially sync the time? Just Internet time? GPS? Sync OTA with another atomic clock?

Well they don't put it on the gear stick because you don't just use the clutch for changing gears, you use it for setting off and slowing down too.

Imagine doing a hill-start whilst parallel parked very close to the cars ahead and behind you, and you can't steer with both hands because the clutch control requires your hand.

It would need to be somewhere on the steering wheel.

Wow I am an idiot. However having it on the steering wheel then it would have to be away from any hand placement/ grip points and it's possible people may accidentally press the clutch control while driving.

Exactly. People don't take their hands off the handles (well, not for very long anyway) on bikes, so it makes perfect sense to put the clutch control there.

Ideally it just needs to be somewhere that doesn't move: literally, or in reference to other nearby controls.
If you put it on the wheel, it'll move and holding it while steering becomes hard.
If you put it near the wheel, it wont move but it will move with reference to the wheel, again making it hard to use when steering.

If you live somewhere flat, or just never have to park on slopes this is never going to be a problem for you, but definitely not a good idea for stock car models.