Infinality is dead. Fucking bohoomil vanished and destroyed his arch-repository

Infinality is dead. Fucking bohoomil vanished and destroyed his arch-repository.

R.I.P good font rendering in Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeType-2.7-Rendering
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671#creating-an-infinality-like-fontconfig-configuration
github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases
blog.codinghorror.com/font-rendering-respecting-the-pixel-grid/
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5r5ep8/make_your_arch_fonts_beautiful_easily/
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-infinality/
brendangregg.com/blog/2017-02-05/file-system-flame-graph.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That kerning on the Tools menu item
>good
nope

>year of the linux desktop

>Infinality is dead. Fucking bohoomil vanished and destroyed his arch-repository.
source? any official statement?

>R.I.P good font rendering in Linux.
I don't know about other distros but ubuntu always had patches to make font rendering look pretty good. Also:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeType-2.7-Rendering

>Linux

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHUHUHUHUHUHUEHUEHUEHUE

>source? any official statement?

He hasn't been active on the Arch Linux forums for months and his repo is gone.

It's dead.

If only it was open source so somebody else could pick up where he left off....

FreeType 2.7 implements his fixes. There is no need for his work anymore.

Loonix, not even once.

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671#creating-an-infinality-like-fontconfig-configuration

You're welcome. And it works perfect and looks amazing. Running on vanilla GNOME 3.

Pic related BTW.

Infinality has been deprecated for a while now.
Just use normal upstream freetype2. It's almost the same as infinality now.

>being a living meme

Fuck that shit. Just downgrade to harfbuzz 1.3.4.

[:~] $ pacman -Ss harfbuzz
extra/harfbuzz 1.4.2-1 [installed: 1.3.4-1]
OpenType text shaping engine

If that works for you, more power to you. Sometimes though I don't have to rely on a developer keeping up with packages, which you don't have to worry about with the link I provided.

You're just creating symbolic links to make the font rendering not suck, then you're installing font packs, and finally you're just modifiying a conf file to further make the fonts not suck.

If it's abandoned it's not going to break, because you're not changing the engine that renders the fonts, unlike with infinality and harfbuzz.

neat guide, thanks to the guy if he's around here.

Original guide is by cryzed from GitHub.

It's really easy to do because there's literally like 3 steps, and you know exactly what's going on because you're doing all the work. If you don't like it, you literally just delete the conf file you create and reboot and everything is restored.

Hopefully it works out as well for you as it does for me. I've installed it a few times on fresh installs and it seems to work flawlessly every time.

One note is when you make your local.conf file make sure you change the single quote to double quotes on the first line.

So instead of reading it should read . I think that was just a typo -- other than that, you should experience positive results and forget infinality even existed.

Holy fuck you dumb shit, freetype2 deprecated infinality a long time ago fucking mouth breather

It's not the same, they forked the infinality patchset and created an interpreter _based_ on it. Please inform yourself better before trying to dismiss people you breathing turd.

Ubuntu has decent font rendering by default

Mac does not have this problem

they deleted the section for infinality from arch wiki very recently

Yeah Mac doesn't, it's way past it. Instead of trying to preserve the font's original form, it just goes full retard and muddles/hints so much until nothing the original shape is left -- just a blurry mess. Nice going.

>something as crucial as font rendering can be set back years purely because one guy went rogue
oy vey

jealousy doesn't look good on anyone!

>Long story short, FreeType 2.7.0 when released will provide for much better looking fonts on the Linux desktop! Fonts should now be more representative to how they appear on Windows.

I -ran- away from Windows because of its shitty font rendering. Why would I want that back? Do they want to push people to use macOS or something?

>/r9k/
You have worse things to worry about then font rendering.

Sort yourself out.

I know I probably won't convince you, but these were my honest thoughts -- I'm not really jealous. I followed the guide linked in this thread and I ended up with pretty nice font rendering.

However I'm aware that your preferred font rendering is a matter of taste, so it's all good.

No

You should try the Safari fork of uBlock Origin instead of using old uCuck by Chris.

github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases

Thanks user. Nice digits dess

freetype-freeworld just werks.

>pretty nice
>looks like shit windows tier
Yowza!
However, I'm aware that you may actually be partially blind so that's alright.

As mentioned before, your fonts look like shit mac tier, and I assume the same about you. So it's all good.

Really nice comeback though. Loved it.

>your fonts
I'm not even the same person though but that was a very cute attempt user I'm proud!

feck.

You really should.

Realizing that /r9k/ was completly destroying my life was the first stop for improving myself.

That place can seriously destroy your will to live.

MacOS doesn't hint its fonts, retard. It renders them as close to print as possible.

Yes it does, on most screens with lower DPI, retard.

Good thing, Ubuntu has perfect font rendering OOTB.

take a screenshot of the thread please and show me.

Not him but you do realize that you are dismissing yourself with that statement, right? Or Archfags are born dumb?

It doesn't. In fact in your own post you complain how the fonts are blurry. That's because MacOS doesn't use hinting to change the shape of the fonts to fix the pixel grid. Hinting AVOIDS blurry fonts.

>Incoherent puzzle of words vaguely relating to font rendering
You are clueless man

For the mac fags claiming fonts don't look blurry: blog.codinghorror.com/font-rendering-respecting-the-pixel-grid/

Why is it so blurry?

>until nothing the original shape is left
what did he mean by this?

Don't bother, it's a dumb archfag

Debian default looks better in that pic anyway.

Is it normal to have to substitute Helvetica and Arial web fonts in fontconfig because they're so small, thin and faint on Chromium and Firefox (only after uninstalling Infinality)? Screenshot is an example of thinness. I followed the guide and your results are way clearer than mine. Mine are either too thin or too small and really faint/unclear.

You think that is good? Default fonts on Ubuntu and Windows 10 look far better than this.

reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5r5ep8/make_your_arch_fonts_beautiful_easily/

check this

>destroyed his arch-repository.

why the fuck do people do this?

;^)

that looks like poop

thin fonts are cancer

Is there a "macos" preset in freetype like there was in infinality? I'm scared to touch my config now

That looks like complete shit dude. I'm a fan of bolder" fonts, but that's too bold.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOM... MY FONTS ARE BROKEN AGAIN, CALL OFF MY MEETING.

Infinality gave me constant headaches. It looks like a blurry piece of turd.

that looks kinda blurry

The fuck is the difference here?

Just use any *buntu. All of them have great font rendering out of the box.

if you don't see it: fine, do nothing; be glad even.
once you see it, things tend to look shitty

t. font rendering autist

>Sup Forums
>knowing how to compile and maintain a package
>knowing how to host a repository
>doing something besides shitty baits

You're in the wrong board, friend.

>Not using Freetype 2.7.1 & harfbuzz 1.4.2

OP IS A FAGGOT

How do I improve my font rendering?

other than monospace fixed-width, freetype2 looks better.

infinality never worked well with GTK+3 applications anyhow.

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671

install gentoo

to be honest, macOS font rendering sucks too.

it only looks good because most of their devices are +200ppi

I remember using a macbook at work on a 100ppi shit display and it was really terrible.

I switched to Mac OSX recently and the font rendering is beautiful out of the box.

>R.I.P good font rendering in Linux.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetype2-infinality/

Just came back from the cemetery and stronger and comfier than ever. :^)

It got updated. That's why they had to take it down I presume.

Op here. Thanks! Works with the latest harfbuzz.

>screenshots
>w/text, literally to show font rendering
>jpg
MUH FUCKING SIDES

How about posting your stylesheet ??

This is what Linux font rendering looks like.

Nice try.

try the page I tried. it has diff fonts.

I'm not on my computer right now.

I will never understand why people decide that they don't want to do something anymore, so they destroy it.

Seems fucking stupid

Oh, and by the way, look at this post:
/thread

You do know that its not actually the page serving you fonts and that fontconfig selects fonts that YOU have installed right?

If you are getting fucked up looking fonts then get better fonts.

>I'm not on my computer right now.
it's easy to render fonts well at font sizes 16+... like you're doing.

go down to 10 and 12 and then show me your font rendering. I bet it will look like shit.

Anyway, render this page.

brendangregg.com/blog/2017-02-05/file-system-flame-graph.html

see pic to see what it looks like on my machine.

Naw.

Sup Forums renders fine. I have issues with 1 out of 10 other pages I open.

yep, you're fucking retarded and have a very low IQ.

hideous

Your fontconfig settings just suck.
Stop using shitty fonts.

That screenshot wasn't even mine. I've saved it from someone here. If the thread doesn't die when I wake up, I'll update infinality and post screenshots.

I still haven't seen your screencap of that page.

And you won't see one because I haven't visited that page and find it suspect that you are trying to convince people to visit it.

My comment still stands. It's fucking dead-easy to render fonts at 16+ sizes. They all look more-or-less okay because there's no hinting and subpixel rendering magic required to make them look good. It gets hard at 9,10,11 and 12 sizes.

LMAO
just fix your font settings instead of getting so assblasted making up retarded excuses

it's the top of HN you motherfucking shithead. I opened it and it looked like complete shit. I wondered why.

ANyway, welcome to my ignore list. Should have put you on it ages ago.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using a 110% zoom. Again, if the thread doesn't die when I wake up, I'll post screenshots.

It isn't an excuse, I won't visit that site because I'm suspicious.
Don't know or care what HN is.

That looks terrible man

Still works on My Machine.

awful keming
awful disgusting color fringing
just awful

why does your shit look so awful lol

>huge fonts
again, read the fucking thread you fat piece of shit.