SGI / IRIX

Did anyone here ever use one of those 90s Silicon Graphics workstations or use IRIX?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Star_XL
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/83967
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have nearly the lowest-end Indigo2 you could buy on release in 1992 (except for the shitty XZ graphics, the RAM and second hard disk was an upgrade)

IRIX is a pretty nice OS even on that kind of hardware though. Finding software is a bitch.

Whoa! Was expecting no replies and was just going to image dump but cool to see someone actually has one.

Do you have it from the time or did you just buy it out of interest later? What do you do with it?

It was given to me by a friend who rescued it from a mine where it was basically used as a glorified $20,000 graphics terminal hanging off some big iron Challenge/Onyx system running Maptek software.

It's a little underwhelming for bloated GPL software and finding the commercial stuff it was meant to run is a bitch, so I pretty much just use it for running graphics demos, I've also got Mathematica on it as well, which will probably end up being its purpose if I ever get around to fully "restoring" it. Needs new front plastics and the memory downgraded back to the stock 16 MB for authenticity's sake.

I've got a couple other systems too but two are non-working (250MHz/MXE Octane and a 200MHz Indy) and the other doesn't run IRIX (Visual Workstation 540)

I'm also going to join in the dump, fuck it

Beautiful hardware.

same promotion background as a symbolics system

Whoa, 10/10

is that old CDE?

Looks comfy

That's 4dwm

As if anyone on Sup Forums had a SGI machine in their prime. I'm impressed that someone owns one at all.

I sure do user

Got an Indy (4400SC-175/160MB RAM/XL Newport GFX) and an O2 (R12K-270/192MB RAM)

IRIX kicks ass

Noticed the same, maybe the same company took the photos

Nah, but 4dwm uses motif like CDE.

There's an user who ran an Indy as a DD way back and probably plenty of people who used them in university labs or at work

Shit there's probably still a lot of them running medical equipment

>tfw bought an O2 but it won't recognize your optical drive

The Weather Channel ran their graphics off an O2 until 2012

Yeah, WeatherSTAR XL. And now that I look into it it was actually in use until 2014

Ah, the WeatherSTAR XL. Those things lasted for longer than even some IntelliStars before IntelliStar 2 came around: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Star_XL

Drop wallpaper please

Sorry for fucking you up there, answered my own question, but yeah, some went through 2014.
Up here in Canada, TWC's equivalent The Weather Network (owned by Pelmorex) has their own WeatherSTAR derivative called PMX. That one's been trucking on for two freaking decades straight without any peep of a replacement. Hardware's supposedly proprietary but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some SGI DNA in them (but maybe not, since it just overlays over a background feed TWN pushes out as opposed to WS/IntelliStar which does everything).
It'd be the stuff of dreams to find some old WeatherSTAR/IntelliStar in some dumpster.

Can you run IRIX in a VM?

Nope, probably never will be either.

SGI hardware is proprietary at pretty much every level and makes a Dell look like a fucking open-source lego set. There's pretty much no documentation, even SGI barely knew how the hardware worked and a lot of that knowledge was scattered among different departments.

Plus a lot of information has undoubtedly been lost to the ages and the now two mergers SGI has gone through.

The only SGI enthusiast I ever knew was an unironic follower of Digiclipse

Pentium?

>Digiclipse

Holy fuck this brings me back.

>when you're running out of promo dank

i have an octane that i haven't ever gotten working, now it won't even turn on, i think the psu is fried

are you me?
I picked mine up in SF, drove it home and three days later it did the same shit, doesn't respond at all to the power button, all I get is a relay click when I plug it in

rip in piece

what anime is that?

boku no a e s t h e t i c s

>urushihara

excellent taste

also, it's kind of weird to think my Linux system still has all of the pictured applications installed.

Seems to be a vaporwave-ized version of this pic + one other. I might need to remake it myself if it can't be sourced.

edgy boi

Man, this user really liked purple. To edit the original image they had to shift hue in all areas except the skin. I am way too lazy to do that + the cutout on top of this image (nsfw) danbooru.donmai.us/posts/83967

Even with nostalgia, this hideous style of Winamp / etc skin will never look attractive.

Used to work there in 1999, right when they changed their name to SGI. A few weeks later they shitcanned 3000 people. It was a hell of a sight.

Too bad autoinst sucks ass.. Hope you never need to reinstall

>post wallpaper

i used a similar design for my computer tower
i may have shit tastes but this is fucking aesthetic

Autoinst isn't that bad. I'd say it's better than what Solaris has. After fucking around with old UNIX for long enough you get used to it.

I reinstalled (over network) a few months ago to upgrade to 6.5. Probably going to do it again this week to downgrade back to 6.2, as it was a lot faster.

man that wallpaper just look like my grand parents old wall-paper

>motif
fuck it looks comfy desu

What did you do there?

it's pretty nice even if it's a little lacking in expandability

the drive bay access door is the best shit