/spg/ - Smartphone General - Thicc Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge battery life on Android 7.0 Nougat
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge_battery_life_on_android_70-blog-23204.php

5 of the best food order and delivery apps for Android and iOS you can get in 2017
phonearena.com/news/5-of-the-best-food-order-and-delivery-apps-for-Android-and-iOS-you-can-get-in-2017_id90731

Cases for the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus confirm placement of fingerprint reader?
phonearena.com/news/Cases-for-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-confirm-placement-of-fingerprint-reader_id90727

Huawei P10 and P10 Plus specs and pricing appear on leaked document
phonearena.com/news/Huawei-P10-and-P10-Plus-specs-and-pricing-appear-on-leaked-document_id90724

Samsung Galaxy S8 availability and prices leaked
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_availability_and_prices_leaked-news-23184.php

Samsung Galaxy A (2017) series go sale in the UK
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a_series_are_on_sale_in_united_kingdom-news-23181.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224386526
adbdriver.com/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.vincze.usbsettings
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/4oufeg/my_pc_detect_my_redmi_3_as_android_device_and/
willmyphonework.net/
kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-redmi-3-pro,xiaomi-redmi-4-pro
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4-pro
youtu.be/j3AaEnlK_Nw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for the Blackberry Mercury being actually good

Is the Moto z worth getting over the Moto z play if it comes with the battery mod for free?

Just installed win10 and it won't read my RN3P. I feel retarded, I've tried everything I found on google. I don't have wpdmtp.inf in my inf folder and even with the drivers I downloaded it's not showing up.
I'm so fucking stupid.

About to get a Moto Z Play for tomorrow, any objections?

They're going to announce a new Moto Z soon. Either spend the same amount of money and get the newer model or spend less money and get the current model

??
What are you trying to do?

About to get the OnePlus 3T and hook it up with Tmobile? It works with Tmobile right? I'm in south Florida brehs

What options are there for front facing stereo speakers? Besides HTC (every photo I've seen from a HTC has looked out of focus) and the ZTE Axon 7 (heard it has issues with WiFi/phone signals)

Yeah.

Just trying to connect it. The PC won't read it because it hasn't got the drivers

Sony Xperia phones

No drivers required to view an android device as a mass storage device afaik. Did you configure it on your phone?

It worked just fine with Windows 7, formatted yesterday and upgraded to win 10 but it doesn't show up

Any word on when that's supposed to come out?

Install
androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224386526
and
adbdriver.com/

>Sony
Don't they have massive issues RE overheating and poor software?

I've seen unveiling dates but that's it

I installed the drivers but it's still not showing up on "this pc"

Restart your PC and change cables, it's always something silly like this.

Nigga fuck your gross op

why is smartphone general basically android general?

are all of you too poor to own a real smartphone like the iphone 7?

No

The z5c and z3 'ultra' (idr what it was called) are the only ones that overheated
The software is alright. Annoying to deal with when modding (like, really obnoxious), but it's by no means bad from a user perspective

it shows up on
adb device

What's wrong with the mercury?

Didn't meant to quote, sorry

Try
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.vincze.usbsettings

and set it to MTP.

I'm already on mtp and usb debugging

Fixing shit like this is getting old. I want to use my phone, not troubleshoot it. Apple's getting my money come September.

Anyone here has a Samsung a9? Want a big smartphone and it looks nice

In my search for a cheap (not more than 400€) phone I realized that fingerprint scanners are just too convenient to let go so I won't settle for anything not having them.

So far in my quest I considered the following:

>Another note 4
- sure that would be great but they cost way too much

>LG G5 SE
- was told they are pretty underpowered and battery is bad
- scanner is on the back

>Oneplus 3T
- Don't know anything yet, just read a few reviews but still I have no clear idea about it

So what about that oneplus 3T? what's bad about it?

there's literally zero reason to use an Android device unless you absolutely have to able to torrent and sideload anime on the go

Are they going to continue the moto mods? Or at least continue having microSD slot ?

reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/4oufeg/my_pc_detect_my_redmi_3_as_android_device_and/

I'm considering switching to an android phones, because Apples prices are absolutely ridiculous.

What am I in for?
I'm tempted for a Oneplus 3T.

Just get the OP3T, it's almost the perfect android phone. Really the only thing missing is a SD slot.

I do neither of those things. I used to love Android but as I get older I want shit to just work.

How long until they announce the next Oneplus

Anyone here have the HTC10? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Thinking of getting one.

Random errors. Lag. No updates. Inconsistent battery life. Inferior versions of the apps.

Around June 2017

I look at the two and I think the Z Play specs are more than fine for me.

So I would get the Z Play PLUS the battery mod anyway for
>SUPER ULTIMATE BATTERY MASTER RACE
You'd have the biggest battery dick on all of Sup Forums
Think about it brah...

I'm debating whether to buy a OnePlus 3 or not. Can someone give me the rundown on this Chinese phone manufacturer?

How the hell do I rename a file in the /etc/permissions folder? Amaze File Explorer and Ghost Commander both fail, and even a terminal emulator fails too. The instructions I'm looking up say I need Root Explorer; do I really need that one in particular?

(I'm trying to remove the S-Finder and Quick Connect bar from my Note 4, in case you're wondering why I'm dicking around in that part of the file system.)

>buy Samshit
>"it's Android's fault!"

Motofag here
Basically stock Android
Not a single problem since day one
No freezes, no crashes, no drains, no overheating, no slowdowns, or any of that shit

>as I get older
>still playing fire emblem
M A N C H I L D

>most popular Android phone manufacturer produces subpar phones
>public perception is that Android is interior to iOS
really fires those neurons.

yeah they produce an entire range of phones with their own skin
basic shit familia :)

Most of the public is dumb. Then there's a section which isn't dumb but is super busy (extremely under-pressure professionals working long hours, or mothers with multiple very young children) and so doesn't have time to research.

But if you're on Sup Forums then I'm pretty sure you have time to research. That user could have done even a tiny bit of research before buying and he would have found out about Touchwiz performance visavis stock Android or other manufacturers' software. No excuse.

You're missing the point. Good UX design shouldn't be something that people have to research. With Apple, you know you're getting a great product. With Android, researching which phone you're gonna buy turns into a month long project. It's just not worth it for anyone with a life. Buy an iPhone.

Yeah I get that. I'm not saying it's the way it should be, but it's the way it is right now.

I agree with you when it comes to iPhones of the past. But since they started removing basic features, even that has started to become overly complicated.

>Android
fiddly software-wise
>iPhone
fiddly hardware-wise

Normies BTFO

It's funny cause my Moto G4 started having freezing issues related to its gimmicky display bullshit, as well as heat issues related to charging. Meanwhile my Galaxy Note 4 hasn't had either issue, nor the battery drain issue you're responding to.

>TFW in Canada and getting fucked hard on my plan

i'm paying $45/month for a pile of bullshit. WTF D OI DO

man I see deals all the time for better plans
>60$ 6gb etc
do you not jump on them?

Public mobile? I got kiked into signing up with Wind, fuck this company

>Lte only on 2 shit phones
>Constantly enter roaming somehow
>dropped/missed calls/texts (friend said he texted me a day ago but i only get it later)

was that the one running at the end of last year?
try the manitoba koodo plan thing, that one's p nice

What do you mean? Public Mobiles' deal? It was running a couple months ago, right now it's $40/month for 2gb data, unlimited talk and text

If you get it, make sure it's the newer 3T. Basically it's a phone near the level of the highest end flagships but around 200 cheaper. Their interface is pretty near stock Android. It's not water resistant though

JUST

ZUK

honor 8 serves me well

Is the pajeet rom really the best one for the zuk z2? Any other alternatives?

DT2 owner here, there's a bug where the camera crashes after a few weeks of uptime. Rebooting isn't enough I also have to wipe the system cache. Pretty fucking annoying when I go to take a picture but I have to spend 5 minutes turning it off, getting into the bootloader, wiping the cache, and rebooting. I also haven't seen an update since October although I knew going in that Verizon cucked devices would be shit for updates, thank fuck I didn't pay full price for it.

Moto just honestly sucks now, their updates are slow as fuck even for unlocked phones and they drop support after devices are barely a year old.

I'd like to be able to get something like a OnePlus 3T or an Honor 8 but Verizon coverage is life. Hopefully I can get a good deal on an unlocked pixel once the new one's drop this Fall.

I'm curious, I have a note 4, when using it, it can get quite warm, have Samsung phones like the s7 improved on this? or is this generally something that is normal for smartphones?

mokee.

Don't have too much money to buy a new phone with, but I can get an Xperia Z3 for a good price. Is buying a phone from late 2014 too old to warrant a purchase? Won't be doing any mobile gaming aside from a little emulator shit for the most part.

As someone who had a Z3, it's a great phone that has a couple issues, but I'd rather have a newer phone that has a fingerprint scanner any day of the week, like a G4 or G4 Plus preferably.

Thanks, I'll make sure to get it it then. I'd get a G4 if I could, but the Z3 used in good condition is only a hundo which is too good a deal to pass up. I had a galaxy s5 and never used the fingerprint scanner.

Hello.

I need a replacement to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus).

I saved like 200 euros and I need a mobile that it's not a meme.

I live in Spain so I have over price in almost every shop, so what do you recommend?

If you're willing to look used do that to save a few dollars. Just be smart about it

Give me ONE reason not to switch to Public Mobile in Canada.

Moto G4 / G4 Plus
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016)
BQ Aquaris phones

Zuk Z2
Mi 5
BQ X5 Plus

Trying to replace Nexus 4 (long overdue).

I've narrowed it down to Zuk z2 or Redmi 3 pro.

Which should I get? Or is there a better option

>no BB10OS
no

What's your budget and location? Redmi 4 Prime is better than Redmi 3 Pro.

Zuk is better than both but none of them have full 4G band compatibility in the U.S.

Budget is as cheap as it can be to not be absolute shit (trying to optimize value/cost tbqh)

Location is Canada

Check
willmyphonework.net/
I'm not sure you'll get all working bands.

Zuk Z2 has the best specs, fastest and future proofing. SD820+4GB RAM.

Redmi 4 Prime has a really awesome battery(4100 mAh). 9-10 hours SoT easy. SD625 is quite adequate.

So decide what matters to you more, performance or battery life. Z2 can also pull 6-7H SoT with its 3500 mAh battery but not as long as the R4P.

btw they both have unofficial custom roms.
Zuk has mokee and CM/LOS and R4P has one too. unlocking and flashing on the Zuk is easier because you don't need to wait for permission from Xiaomi.

If you can live without the aux port then yes. It will come with a USBC to AUX adaptor though.

>Moto Z Force
>Pros
Battery life is solid.
Sound quality is good.
Front facing camera with actual flash is surprisingly good.
Moto mods pop on and off easy as fuck and still hold onto the phone as long as you don't drop it.
Main camera is pretty fucking good.

>CONS
Moto mods are limited and pricy as shit ($300 for a camera that's only marginally better than the one on the phone?)
Forced to deal with Verizon bloat.
No aux is pretty gay.
Phone is just oddly slippery.

Overall I dig it. Worthy successor to my Droid Turbo.

>Check
>willmyphonework.net/
>I'm not sure you'll get all working bands.

I did, it says bands work for some on LTE. (whatever the fuck that means)

But I checked my carrier forums and people say they used Redmi 3 successfully.

Idk honestly I've been fine with my nexus 4 besides the shitty battery. Don't really need much more specs-wise, just a better camera would be great.

>Researching what brand of computer to buy is hard. No one with a life will compare Dell to HP.
>Just buy a Mac.

Believe it or not, people will actually look into the device they will be using daily for a year or two. I know that spending 30 minutes comparing models might sound like a ton of time for someone with the attention span of a toddler, but plenty of adults are fully capable.

They are same price.
see
kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-redmi-3-pro,xiaomi-redmi-4-pro

There's no reason to buy the old version.
Redmi 4 Prime has the same bands so it should work too. it's faster, has a better camera and battery too.

check cheapest shops:
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4-pro

Fingerprint scanner on the note 4 is a joke.

Is there a way to sync photos in Google Photos to iPhoto?

I am looking to switch between my iPhone 7 plus and my 6p frequently because I like each of them, but want to make sure my pictures stay in sync.

The iPhone syncs to Google Photos fine but I want the Google Photos to sync new stuff taken on my 6p back to my iPhone.

Turn off selinux and try again. You will need to flash a custom kernel if you're using touchwiz since selinux is hard coded to enforcing.

Root explorer is not required.

His phone isn't the Z force though, it's the fucking Z, the one motorola shat out in 2016 merely to have a "flagship" then backpedaled immediately by making the based Z play.

>2600 mAh for UHD AMOLED

Enjoy that 2 hours SoT you fucking cuck, even with the moto battery mod it still amounts to a measly 4000, most xiaomis pack a 4100 mAh battery and even the meme s7 edge comes with 3600.

that's like asking facebook to sync with your arch linux gallery

but really, there probably is a way but most people aren't retarded enough to own/store anything important in the phone's storage, sd slot or bust

Did you have a stroke halfway through the second sentence?

maybe

oh fuk

But yeah I might just get the Zuk z2 then, even though it sounds really fucking retarded.

Is the ZTE Axon 7 still a good buy?

>fine art

i want to gun down the fucker who named it this.

>just a better camera

Here's Zuk Z2 camera compared to Mi5
youtu.be/j3AaEnlK_Nw

Anyone in Canada using the zuk z2? Particulary ontario. Want to use it on virgin/public mobile.

Suppose they both use bell towers anyway.

WTF I LOVE INDIA NOW

literal same story here breh

Does the one plus 3T really have no cons at all?

I've been looking for excuses to not get it but I keep only seeing recommendations

Some people are reporting massive issues with the battery after updating to nougat, we're talking the phone shutting off at 30%, sometimes not charging past 80%, the SoT dropping from the usual 6-7 hours to barely 4 and horrendous idle drain despite nougat's improved doze mode being one of it's main draws (overnight ie 8 hours it sucked a mere 2-4 percent, now it can eat up to 25% even if you put it in airplane mode), staying on marshmallow isn't an option either since the nougat update fixed some ringtone issues and touchscreen latency/lag so your only options are either sucking it up and staying on M or unlocking to try a custom rom+kernel.

There's also the no SD slot part but the phone is so good and "cheap" (for what it offers) that most people don't mind making backups of their data every few days.