Windows XP on CD

I have an old machine I got for free, pentium 4 etc, and it's got XP on it, password locked though.

I haven't installed XP on a machine in ten years and can't find any of my old win xp pro corporate CD's from forever ago. This machine will not boot from USB which means I've gotta burn this shit to a CD-R.

What's the Sup Forums way to get XP on such a machine? Is there an official windows XP 'last and final updated edition' from M$?

Should I just use whatever modern version of NERO burning rom is out there?

I've got a week off work and I'd like to party like it's 2003 all over again.

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience
google.com/#q=intitle:"index of" "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso"
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there are ways to break the password.

Do you need Windows? I'd honestly just use a Linux distro with LXDE or Xfce.

I don't think there is any official Windows ISO with all of the updates. Just one with Service Pack 3 already installed.

>need

for all intents and purposes, yes, and i want xp. not interested in putting linux on this machine.

how so?

No need to get XP on it. Install *32bit* Windows 10 (the binaries are much smaller and need very low RAM). Then run Blackbird V6 to clean it up well from telemetry and other botnet.

Its not that hard to find a uni licence key, and a copy of SP3 XP

I second the 32bit windows idea of a new ver. The binaries are small in size and footprint. The meme that 64bit is always better is for spergs.

that's not a bad idea, i didn't even think of that.

just acquired that actually.

now to find a blank cd.....shit lol

I did it for my father's PC who had originally XP on it and it was built for that. It runs well. When I tried 64bit at first it was about 50-60% slower at most times.

No SSD didn't help either but it's also the RAM that is only 2gb.

32bit can use up to 3 to 4gb anyway so 64bit helps nothing.

What I would do

>Hiren's Boot CD
-Includes Windows password reset utils
-Has PloP Boot Manager - a util that will enable a machine to boot from USB without BIOS support.
Plop Boot Manager can be DL'd separately and run from a floppy drive.
Party like it's 2k3. Enjoy your time off work. Well, I better get to sleep. I see two monitors, but I only have one.

thank you based user, i'll try that for putting win 10 32 bit on said machine after i try it with xp.

and to think we were gonna shoot this computer at the /k/ meet a year ago. i told user to let me look at it first and he forgot about it.

i swear it weighs 30 pounds, my main machine isn't anywhere near this heavy. it's that thicc steel frame.

You're in luck user.
Get this while I'm still seeding.
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience

>14/55
goo gl/7qrOM8

Windows 8 runs faster on old machines than xp sp3

>old machines
Define old machines?
Not OP, but I revive old machines from 90s and early 00s.
And the only thing that works is either WinXP, or WinME.

Check the win 8 requirements.
I remember that old cpus are supported but you need higher ram.(it just won't run if it doesn't have enough RAM)
Also xp vs 8 benchmarks are all over youtube and many other sites.
I wouldn't install xp or w8 on a pc with a cpu under 800MHz

Most of these old machines have mobo that doesn't support RAM higher than 1 GB or even DDR2

Well why would you use those 1GB RAM machines in 2017?
Even XP SP3 runs like shit on them.
Botnet farm?

These machines are needed for work and the cost of getting new machine is more expensive than fixing it.

Also these machines are needed to control peripheral hardware with propriety softwares for companies that no longer exists.

False positive.

>MicroXP
enjoy you're botnet

wipe the drive clean, (including the disk partition) and install a lightweight Linux distro on it, i dont are if you dont like linux, XP is ancient and no longer supported, at least Linux will be secure and supported with current software and security updates

then get interested in putting linux on it because that is your only hope in reviving that ancient piece of junk

> use exploit/windows/smb/ms08-067_netapi

It's by eXperince.
It's on par with DAZ loader.

XP would run fine on 1GB, it's the other stuff that you'd want to run that would be the problem. Although if you're just doing some light web browsing 1GB and XP isn't that bad the problem is the lack of updates which leaves you vulnerable to security issues.

Definitely install firefox and use umatrix/noscript and ublock

Hiren Boot Cd has a couple of utilities that would break that password in minutes. All free.

>password locked
>not using Kon-Boot

>The meme that 64bit is always better is for spergs.
At least on x86 64bit is always better, but hardware that doesn't support 64bit isn't useless.

Windows 7+ will run on 1GB but the OS alone uses like 500MB which doesn't leave much for the end user. The most useful OS for OP is probably XP but a minimalist GNU/Linux disto could also work equally well if OP doesn't care about not having Windows software.

I've been running this as VM since 2015.

Stickykeys is by far the easiest way to reset the password, works on all versions of windows ever including server. Would recommend this because it may be hard to find drivers for an old model.

Don't be stupid. My dad's PC was one of the first with amd64 instructions. It runs like utter shit on 64bit compared to 32bit (~50% lower performance at least) mainly because the binaries are tremendously bigger in size therefore the 2GB of RAM and shitty non-SSD drive run enormously better on 32bit OSes.

And you can never see more than 3 to 4GB on 32bit anyway so when you have 2GB you lose absolutely nothing.

Just install POSReady 2009. Not only will you continue to receive security updates for another two years but you'll also be assured it's not an infected installer as you can download it straight from microsoft.com

So I should install windows 7 32Bit on the core i5, because I only have 4 GB of ram?

>what is PAE

That's probably because the thing is memory constrained though, not just because of 64bit. 64bit does make it worse though.

Probably not if you have an SSD. Also you may not be able to see the full 4GB but only around 3GB.

I do however find it a barely good idea for a shitty HDD drive on a slow CPU for the small binaries.

It does because it also has a shitty HDD. So the bigger binaries are only a problem. Hence since it will never use more than the 2GB and the drive is slow as hell there only advantages in going with the small binaries.

Win7 32bit it is.

No.

>>what is PAE

It does have overheads doesn't it? Microsoft itself lists it as "seeing 3GB" on the properties for another PC I have with 4GB. I think it helped there a little to also go 32bit because the CPU is utter shit (AMD from like 4 years ago on a laptop) and the HDD is slow as fuck.

64bit OS which runs 32bit software is the most optimal setup in general. Something like the x32 ABI on Linux.

64bit OS with 64bit software is okay if you have the memory available to handle the moderately higher memory usage but it wastes some memory.

32bit OS running 32bit software is really only recommended if you have an extremely old machine that cannot even handle 64bit.

You are moron. Sorry. What you spammed is the meme but you have to understand the technology here.

First of all, you will never see the RAM advantages when you have less than 4GB.

Second of all, and what most don't know is that the binaries are bigger.

The last bit is the most important actually. They hog low RAM systems.

They hog even slow ass HDDs.

What about running 32 bit os on 64 bit CPU?

I don't know too much about it, I just know that it enables 32-bit processors to address more than 4GB of memory

Don't listen to that fucking asshole. He just repeats the normie meme. The facto of the matter is low RAM and slow HDD systems have 0 benefits from 64bit and they only hog their memory and disk by having larger binaries.

I mean seriously do the minimum job to download any software you like on the 32bit and the 64bit version.

See how the 32bit version is SIGNIFICANTLY small in size, both on disk (to read) and ram to store.

Just use a linux livedisk and change or remove the password. Done in 2 minutes.

It can be faster than 64bit OS running 64bit software if the memory is tight but a 64bit OS running 32bit software will be slightly faster. Without limitations on memory a 64bit OS running 64bit software will tend to be faster than 32bit OS running 32bit software due to the newer instruction set extensions and more available registers.

Significant as in 30% but binaries aren't usually very big, something like 1-4MB is typical.

So like 1MB vs 1.3MB, or on the higher end 4MB vs 5.2MB

On a modern hard disk the difference between writing like ~1MB is negligible.

Hirens is the shit senpai burn that shit to a CD and have tools galore

Whats wrong with DAZ loader?

>impying you need nero to burn an iso
Also why can't you just google this shit, I managed to do this alone when I was 12 years old

The problem with that reasoning is that it forgets hardware of certain OSes don't run only userland software. The ALSO RUN THE FUCKING OS ITSELF. That's the deciding factor here.

A computer with 2GB and HDD will see tremendous advantages on 32bit binaries both on whole-OS loading but also whole-OS RAM usage.

And by the way, I know of that Linux system of x64 kernel on 32bit memory usage, it's great but he needs windows.

>This machine will not boot from USB
plop

Was that supposed to mean something?

>select
>right click, search

Some context would've been nice, you condescending twat.

you literally got a quoted problem and a solution to it, which you should search the web for as the first thing anyway, you entitled to spoon-feeding baby

>NERO
>doesn't know how to do basic OS installation using physical media

Go. Away.

>plop |pläp|
>noun
>a short sound as of a small, solid object dropping into water without a splash.
>verb (plops, plopping, plopped)
>fall or cause to fall with a plop: [ no obj. ] : the stone plopped into the pond | [ with obj. ] : she plopped a sugar cube into the cup.
Yes, that totally seems like a solution to someone who doesn't already know what Plop is. Eat a dick, you lazy faggot.

>this much effort to prove yourself being a retard
the bootloader is literally the first result on both google and bing

google.com/#q=intitle:"index of" "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso"
Make sure that SHA-1 is 66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40

And had you said to use plop, there would've been no confusion. Go fuck a screen door, needle dick.

OP here, just woke up and didn't expect to see all this help. xp is up and running but i'm gonna install pos2009 on another drive.

2.8 ghz P4 with HT
1 GB ddr, will be fixing that soon
Geforce FX 5500 AGP 256 MB, will upgrade that too. I forgot what the fastest AGP cards ended up being befor PCIE took over.

Thanks faggots!